Activism in lyrics/theme

Name some good songs/albums/artists with a message (preferably against war, hate, oppression) that aren't just cheesy as hell? I avoid most politically-themed punk because it's just cringe-inducing.

A good example is War Pigs. Obviously anti-war from the title, but the lyrics themselves feel a bit more subtle than most anti-war punk songs...

Hard mode: stuff from this decade
Nightmare mode: EDM/IDM

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ytqDadmtUFY
youtube.com/watch?v=fZSO6ueelGA
youtube.com/watch?v=vkITlCa-r6k
m.youtube.com/watch?v=_gHNHrZVCMY
mishkanyc.bandcamp.com/album/bell-hooks
youtu.be/LwkO1y4bTEE
youtube.com/watch?v=B5vgFAAdhUE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

bummp

Activism is lame. Express your political opinions where they count, at the polls, in prayer, and among friends who ask for your perspective.

Most musicians haven't lived enough to have a well formed view of life yet anyway, you're just gonna reveal a naivity that embarasses you as an adult.

"Write what you know", right?

Kids should be celebrating the discovery of pleasure and freedom. Not being useless idiots for some ideology contrived by the generation that birthed them.

*USEFUL idiots

Born in the USA
Moroccan people's revolutionary bowling club
Fortunate Son
TPAB

All we are saying
Is give peace a chance

There are no good political songs, they're always cringe as fuck. There are good historical story based songs but there are zero good activist songs.
this

Honestly, as a woman, socially conscious music makes my pussy wet and stinky. Love it, love it!

War Pigs is as hamfisted as most punk, the only difference is they used a very thin metaphor. May as well throw in No Doves Fly Here.

That's a good one, soyim.

>I avoid most politically-themed punk because it's just cringe inducing
This. Punk is best when it stays away from politics, although there are good political punk albums.
youtube.com/watch?v=ytqDadmtUFY
youtube.com/watch?v=fZSO6ueelGA
youtube.com/watch?v=vkITlCa-r6k

war pigs was meant to be some fantasy song but the label demanded they make it politcal.
makes u think

>Express your political opinions where they count, [...], in prayer

kek

Sad because fantasy lyrics were better

I dunno man. They never flat out say "fuck war" like most punk songs. They just describe war as a bad thing. Not saying all political punk songs are like that, but most are. There a few good ones, but those are the exception rather than the norm.

So the only difference is the lack of the words fuck war? Because you can't argue that it's very anti war, very anti politics and even the "you're gonna get what's coming to you" angle is common in punk.

It was just an example.

Yeah, I never said "there are no good political punk songs" but they are a rarity.

Sure, I'm not debating they are a rarity, but War Pigs really isn't all that above a run of the mill punk song. They just use a slightly better verbiage(?) and their chorus isn't "fuck war" x5. Otherwise all the themes and cliches are there.

What the fuck do you listen to, fucking ear-bleed inducing NOISE?

I don't know when it was that you decided to get your hearing accustomed to this major bullshit, but it's too late to redeem. I'd bet your body gets confused since the lyrics is anti-war and the melody makes you want to kill yourself and everyone else around you.

Fucking trash.

First time in /mu and I sincerely hope it gets better.

With the internet social media this isn't really needed anymore, anyone can get involved in politics online they don't need to rally around songs

You can't trust freedom when it's not in your hands

Not seen this pasta yet.

Agreed but some have experienced real things that have shaped their views, as opposed to kids who just grow up in the suburbs and read about stuff

Really good political hip hop from the past 10 years. Never seen any other rappers as well read as these guys
m.youtube.com/watch?v=_gHNHrZVCMY
mishkanyc.bandcamp.com/album/bell-hooks

Proving you wrong
youtu.be/LwkO1y4bTEE

It's not subtle but here you go

youtube.com/watch?v=B5vgFAAdhUE

WAR, HUH
GOOD GOD, Y'ALL

>God is going to change the state of the entire country at my request
>calling anyone else naive

"The War" by Lucero
>It really just talks about how the inscripted get fucked over

"Sky Pilot" by Eric Burdon (maybe with the Animals???)
>Same general theme as above, but also talks about the folly of hero worship and how silly nationalism/patriotism are.

"California Uber Alles" Dead Kennedys
>There are two versions of this, one from before Reagan was elected President, I think, that talks about "Governor Jerry Brown, always smiles and never frowns" and then another about "President Ronald Reagan, Born again with Fascist cravings." Neither are really that awesome, but taken together, they do a good job of making the pint that picking a party doesnt solve a problem; both are corrupt, or at least participate in corrupt bargains. Think about it, Jerry Brown is one of the most liberal politicians of the last 50 years and they are lumping him in with the god-head of the GOP.

"Jesus Built My Hotrod" - Ministry
>Not overtly or over the top political, but basically promotes the idea that the god on which you place all your value is a sham and may as well be a car mechanic.

oh also one of my favorites:
"B.Y.O.B." by System of a Down
>you know it - not so much anti war, but anti capitalistic warmongering.

Are you just looking for punk/similar? If not, I think Woody Guthrie is really good

No. No punk. Preferably classic rock, hip hop or bleep bloops.