Is there a single actor in Hollywood right now that could play the Judge?

Is there a single actor in Hollywood right now that could play the Judge?

Other urls found in this thread:

vice.com/read/james-francos-blood-meridian-test-656
youtube.com/watch?v=S2wL9AawlDA
youtube.com/watch?v=DyT1J3ib5qM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Gary Oldman

No.

Jennifer Lawrence

Ed Harris but he's too old

He's missing one foot and three pounds

Idris Elba

john goodman

Not enough body mass.
Leslie Jones

Fatass Marlon Brando if this were the 80s

Pruitt Taylor Vince

is blood meridian good? I've only read the road and I enjoyed it a fair bit.

Sam Rockwell or Walton Goggins as Toadvine

It's great, probably McCarthy's best

It's not easy to read but i wouldn't call it anything other than a masterpiece

Vincent D'onofrio if he lost some weight and bulked up.

yes, it's a more challenging read than The Road, but very good

>Clancy Brown
>Glenn Fleshler
>Vincent D'Onofrio

probably a few others too. I think Fleshler would be the best tho

if you enjoyed the road, you'll enjoy it

its an ultraviolent wild west shit

Tom Noonan

Chris Hemsworth.

He's tall and pale enough.

Gandolfini when he was fat could've :(

If you liked American Psycho you will.
I didn't particularly care for it, but I can see how it would be liked.

>>Clancy Brown

might be too old now but he would have been a good choice

Me.

The Crossing is better

This is how I imagined him. Less alien looking though.

John Carroll Lynch

Yeah I imagines something similar, with maybe a few more pounds on him

i pictured him like this

it's challenging and dense, but also dark, raw, biblical and uncompromising. It was worth reading for me, but for many it may just be a chore. By dense, I mean DENSE. Like, in one page he may tell several stories.

If you want to push through this, I suggest putting aside a couple of weekends and just commit to it.

I agree. But i felt rewarded for reading it, some of the images he makes are really good, i do not regret it being so dense and lyrical

Tom Noonan is probably too old now. Christopher Heyerdahl would probably work, though. He's tall, bald, and too good of an actor for shit TV work he usually does.

Woody Harrelson.

I hadn't read a book in years before reading BM, it's not that difficult. It is good though.

It's good. Some parts are quite disturbing and still bother me.

Challenging to read is an understatement, though. There is zero punctuation outside of periods, there are sentences that never end, half the time it's tough to figure out who's talking (if anyone is even talking), very important plot pieces are typically told in few words, a lot of times Spanish is interjected with no translation, and it uses more archaic words than any other book I've read

It's a good book, but it definitely requires a lot of effort to read.

So what happens the the man at the end? does the judge eat him alive or what?

Robert Maillet from the strain, you could have some one else voice the character.

I figured he got raped to oblivion. The Judge didn't appreciate him "growing up" without his permission

they fuck[\spoiler]

They rape the missing girl together. The Judge did this many times before with other members of the gang. Every time they entered a city, young girls would disappear.

Nah, a lot of people in this thread look like they didn't understand what the judge is supposed to be, no one can play the judge in hollywood because no one fits the profile, the guy is 7 feet tall, snow white and has no hair at all, you could say these are details and they don't matter but they do. Multiple times the judge is implied to be something different than a human being, like a demon or a god of some kind, and this point is important for the message he tries to pass throughout the book. No one in hollywood looks uncanny enough to play him, you could use effects and stuff but it would end up just looking silly

Dead as fuck.

The real question is what happens after?

Probably rape and brutal murder. The kid is the only person that ever defied the Judge and he didn't like that. Plus, it's one of the few things that would have been shocking enough to cause the reaction it did.

Michael J Fox would be perfect.

A shaved, bulked up goodman would have been excellent but I think he's finally aged out of contention

that said I can't think of anybody else I'd prefer and certainly nobody with the acting chops of goodman

brendan gleeson on a strength regime maybe but again, he's too old

Yeah...Rape is an interesting idea, i guess like you said he would probably die from it

I didn't make that connection, you make me want to read it again to see it, so you're saying the Judge doesn't hurt the man?

I figured the Judge would keep on living and experiencing the worst in human nature and passing his message that war is saint

>that would have been shocking enough to cause the reaction it did

A massive turd could cause that reaction too...The judge must shit some rare and impressive birds

Unironically the best choice.

The Judge was awesome. Here's a bit from after he convinced a Mexican military officer and his crew to let his company go after they shot up a village square.

Page 89:
What did you tell him Holden?

That shaking hands was not the custom in your land.

Before that, what did you say to him before that?

The judge smiled.
It is not necessary, he said, that the principals here be in possession of the facts concerning their case, for their acts will ultimately accommodate history with or without their understanding. But it is consistent with notions of right principal that these facts--to the extent that they an be readily made to do so--should find a repository in the witness of some third party. Sergeant Aguilar is just such a party and any slight to his office is but a secondary consideration when compared to divergences in that larger protocol exacted by the formal agenda of an absolute destiny.
Words are things. The words he is in possession of he cannot be deprived of. Their authority transcends his ignorance of their meaning.

The black was sweating. A dark vein in his temple pulsed like a fuse. The company had listened to the judge in silence.

too old, michael cera would be the better call

>that bit with the self-flagellating priest-pilgrims carrying that enormous cross into the wilderness
>the kid stumbling across their ruined and mutilated corpses, some clutching the base of the cross
>he tries to help the old woman
>but she'd been dead there a long time

Read the ending, the man pissing in the mud who says "I wouldn't go in there if I was you" is the man. He couldn't get an erection with the hooker, and the judge said something along the lines of "real ritual requires blood, if there's none it's a mock ritual."

Glenn Fleshler is the only person I can see pulling it off.

this makes sense...thanks for sharing it with me

I was talking about the very last chapter.

Yes

Ah...The epilogue? That is probably the weirdest thing i've ever read so i couldn't say

Chloe Grace Moretz

Why would the guy pissing be the man? You're reading too much into it.

Well he does say that a man was pissing so there's no reason it wasn't THE man, knowing he was in the toilet shortly before...I think his version makes sense

Because of his grammar (the judge has perfect grammar) and because of how nonchalant he was about the thing.
The next guy who goes in says "Dear God!" at the horror he finds in the jakes.

Vin Diesel obviously

Also, what, the Judge gave him a big hug and then they proceeded to kill the girl? It read something like "the judge pulled him in and held him to his terrible flesh" or something like that, he's dead, Jim.

It's about the perpetual and destructive nature of war, a shambling thing striking out the life of the world.

>He went down the walkboard toward the jakes. He stood outside listening to the voices fading away...
>The judge was seated upon the closet. He was naked and he rose up smiling and gathered him in his arms against his immense and terrible flesh and shot the wooden barlatch home behind him.

They done did some rapin' and murdering in there.

I read the book like 4 years ago, maybe i'm subliterate or something, but I honestly can't remember anything about the plot or what transpired except the beginning and the end, though I remember the passages that featured the Judge

Fat Marlon Brando 20 years ago

Kid goes away from home, gets in a lot of fights, gets clubbed by Toadvine, goes wanderin again, gets enlisted by Captain White, crew wiped out by commanches, wanders with a leper, leper dies, kid gets imprisoned, meets Toadvine again, joins up with the Glanton Gang, goes injun hunting, kills a lot of injuns, has a party with the mexican governor, they fuck up the town, go to next town, fuck that up, wander some more, start killing for fun, mexicans send a small army after them, kid has to "take care of" injured man, doesn't. Wanders through snow and desert and encounters the biblical burning bush. Catches up with the gang again. They hold up at the Yuma camp and take it over. Shit goes very sour and Glanton is killed. Kid, expriest and toadvine escape. The Judge pursues. Toadvine and Brown side with the judge. The judge chases the kid and the expriest and is evaded. Kid splits with the priest and nearly dies of infection. Judge visits him in hospital and in jail. Timeskip. Kid is now Man. Man sees some shit. Kills some kid who tried to kill him and called him a liar. Wanders into a saloon from the beginning of the book and meets the judge again, unchanged. They talk. Kid goes and gets drunk and fucks a hooker. Then goes to take a piss and the judge kills him.

Breaking down things into strict plot fucking sucks.

>Multiple times the judge is implied to be something different than a human being, like a demon or a god of some kind

That's how he wanted everyone to think of him.

>"You ain't nothin."
>"You speak more truly than you know."

Although Judge Holden was dubiously a real person in the Glanton gang, in the book he's used more as the manifestation of all the various meditations and justifications for wars around race, religion, economies, disagreements and for no reason at all. The things he says are almost the direct statements made by members of the US government and various religious groups for the destruction of native americans and the use of natural sciences to analyze and place the world. Those fools who think that he's "The Devil" missed the point.

it's shit

I'm like 3/4 of the way through the book and I don't think it could really work as a film. What would be great is if it was adapted as an HBO miniseries. Even then I would question how marketable it would be. HBO has shown some pretty violent shows in the past but nothing on the brutality of BM. Then there's the pure nihilism of it, take Game of Thrones for example, it has moments of extreme violence but then it also has all the other cheesy shit that keep normies involved. In Blood Meridian there is absolutely zero warmth or likeable characters, all there is is mindless and sadistic killings and hatred. I would love to see it adapted to the screen but I'm just sceptical it could ever be done properly.

Let's just be glad Franco never got to do it jesus christ:

vice.com/read/james-francos-blood-meridian-test-656

>HBO miniseries
Only if they hired someone who could actually shoot landscapes properly instead of the garbage TV camerawork that HBO has been pumping out.

Unironically Mel, Malick or the Coens

>Malick

Come on, do you only want to see the desert?

Agreed. Best suggestion so far. At 6'1'' he's still not even close to the size of the judge but then it's going to be hard to find a good actor who is also 7 fucking feet tall.

The desert and the places they wander are very very important to the mood and tone of the story. If you fail that and have mostly closeups and dialogue and the occasional action scene then you'll end up with garbage. The director has to be someone who can bring all of the imagery to the screen. The book is a mixture of bleak beauty and horror. Malick's work with Lubezki is undeniably fantastic.

11" to appease the autists would be easy

Going by his latest films it would mostly be pictures of nature and some voice-over monologues.

Not saying that's necessarily bad, but it wouldn't really be Blood Meridian.

nothing that can't be fixed with GCI

Yeah I can't really imagine The Kid or Toadvine whispering some poetic verse in voice-over.

I think he'd go more Thin Red Line than To The Wonder with Blood Meridian. But like I said, Mel or the Coens would be my other choice. Or Villenueve.

youtube.com/watch?v=S2wL9AawlDA

Malick would be best if he could make the VO more diagetic, but it's obviously too evil for his cosy Christianity.

youtube.com/watch?v=DyT1J3ib5qM

that could be the judge finally bringing him over to his way of thinking
i've never heard this particular theory before though, never occurred to me

I agree Last Tango Brando would be best but maybe Micheal Rooker can do it, he's got one more iconic western in him.

Will Farrell.

Joaquin Phoenix, having undergone a physical transformation for the role

>Woody Harrelson.

He already played a character that was basically a ripoff of the judge in The Duel (2016) which had a pretty good script and cast but suffered terribly from a lack of good directing and photography.

Holden was meant to be supernatural, there is literally no way you can show that on screen without losing the aura and mystery around his character

You have missed the point of the book entirely, Malick would be pretty good

>HBO

no fuck off, literal IMDBcore garbage

This isn't true, I always imagined Judge Holden as based off Colonel Kurtz in Apocalypse Now, you just need to find someone like Marlon Brando again. It shouldn't be too hard, right?

Pic related really is the only right choice in my opinion

>it's obviously too evil for his cosy Christianity.
This. As good as h is with visuals, Malick would be a terrible choice to direct Blood Meridian. It, and pretty much every other work by McCarthy present a view of the world that is pretty much the opposite of what Malick presents.

Blood Meridian is about destruction, violence, and the capacity of men to do evil things. It's a dark story about how bad humanity can be be. Malick is all about wonder and the joys that can be found in life. Even his movies with darker subject matters focus on the beauty that can be found in those situations. McCarthy's view of humanity is negative, Malick's is positive.

He's the perfect Kingpin but I can't see him as Holden

Seth Rogen as The Judge, James Franco as The Kid.

I'm serious. Shave his head and bulk him up.

Brock Lesnar

>You know what they say about war Kid? They say it's hell. Well it looks like it just froze over, and I'm the devil's advocate. Glanton knew this.

Perfect.

Go away, Franco. You don't have the rights anymore