What do the Patrick Batemans of today listen to?

what do the Patrick Batemans of today listen to?

Other urls found in this thread:

stuff.co.nz/entertainment/music/98811015/what-music-do-psychopaths-like-more-justin-bieber-less-bach
vocaroo.com/i/s1S0iAwMFkLG
youtube.com/watch?v=B2yCyUo0c7s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Lorde
also check em

Cute. How about these, though?

DAMN SON WHERE'D YOU FIND THIS

asap ferg

Lana Del Rey

Switch Huey Lewis with Young Thug and you have every preening shitdick in music journalism today.

Memey rappers and indie. Set your tinder gender to female and see what the guys you swipe past have as their anthems/most played Spotify artists

Death Grips

Justin Bieber is disproportionately popular among diagnosed psychopaths. No joke.

impressive!

yeah you pulled that out of your ass

top 40, just like always.

Phill Collins

Dub
Trip-hop

Probably Bieber. Very very popular, but also with a pretty diverse catalogue good for his style of analysis.

Phish or the Grateful Dead. This is a fact

Huey Lewis

and the news

>something shallow and popular, but music critics like to dive deep into and give fake depth

carly rae jepsen

this

Imagine Dragons
Maroon 5
Taylor Swift
Bruno Mars

>You like Young Thug?

>His early work was a little too trap for my taste. But when Barter 6 came out in '15, I think he really came into his own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Future, but I think Thugger has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

>In '16, Huey released this; JEFFERY, his most accomplished album. I think his undisputed masterpiece is "Harambe". A song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of fame as an up-and-coming young artist. It's also a personal statement about the being a black man in America. Hey Paul!

shut up

Coldplay

Kate Bush
Depeche Mode
Slowdive
Macross 88-91
Saint Pepsi

it’s perfect pop, shut the fuck up

Yo

stuff.co.nz/entertainment/music/98811015/what-music-do-psychopaths-like-more-justin-bieber-less-bach

Do you like Taylor Swift? Her early work was a little too country for my tastes, but when Red came out in '12, I think she really came into her own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. She's been compared to Kelly Clarkson, but I think Taylor has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

In '14, Taylor released this, 1989, her most accomplished album. I think her undisputed masterpiece is "Shake It Off", a song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of nonconformity and the importance of criticism, it's also a personal statement about the artist herself!

Top 40 pop, same as back then. Hard to know if he'd like Top 40 rap as well, but there's too much of a crossover to enjoy it.
He would also be into EDM, but probably not anything too heavy - or maybe ONLY the heavy mainstream dubstep/trap like Excision.

One thing he wouldn't be into, for sure, is whatever shit is popular here. For one thing, sociopaths and psychopaths don't like music with "emotional" and deep lyrics.

I don't remember the study on this but maybe someone else has the link.

Icey Twat and Ugly God

Lel, nice

vocaroo.com/i/s1S0iAwMFkLG

nice

Is the point of his musical taste that he's a fucking pleb who acts refined? Sussudio is literally one of the worst songs of all time

errr coldplay

I bet he loves Mylo Xyloto

Kero Kero Bonito

How do you anons even do it?

Anyway, this

either luck or that X script

pretty much this, bret easton ellis was asked this question and he said "whatever everyone else does"

underrated

A little too black for my taste.

edm, rap, pop music.

don't forget. the core of the hipster is based around what's trendy among yuppies. the original subculture came from yuppies.

Patrick Bateman is basically your average startup bro like Casey Neistat.

hello from the 21st century. the Mediterranean is very hot and so are floral shirts on cute guys or "soy boys"

>Stuff.co.nz

Lingua Ignota

Grimes is the only acceptable answer

Lingua Ignota is way better and actually relevant unlike Grimes.

Don't mind me, just checking these

lol no

Here's a playlist of songs Elliot Rodger played in his videos. I almost get the impression that he was trying to be Patrick Bateman.

Also, reminder that Patrick's younger brother from The Rules of Attraction had way better taste.

Literally, it's too much to be a coincidence. Patrick Bateman talks about his love of Whitney Houston and Phil Collins in both the film and book versions of American Psycho, and in the film they use Walking On Sunshine. Elliot Rodger literally wanted to be Patrick Bateman.

Radiohead, the weirdest and most cryptic songs

Read like, a book, you fucking illiterates. Patrick Bateman was into pop rock, not experimental indie music. His brother, a sociopath from The Rules of Attraction, is into that stuff.

Assuming today's Patrick Bateman would have the same music taste the old Patrick had

We have no reason to think his taste would have changed. There were already plenty of experimental indie and industrial groups in the 80s. If he wasn't into Einstürzende Neubauten back then, I don't see why he'd be into Lingua Ignota now.

this

King Gizzard & the Checkem Wizard

damn....

The go to answer would be beyonce.
But actually he would listen to rhianna because he likes the bad girl image and feels that it give her more depth as a personality.
He would then ax you in the head for writing a bad think piece about him.

Pic related. Also, check em

holy fuckin shit

Impressive, very nice

that's shite

Mumford & Sons

They're too black sounding

It was pure luck.

Well Bateman was a literally who that dreamed big even though he was snubbed by everyone as a loser at his company and fantasized about killing women and his co-workers in gruesome detail, so that sounds accurate.

The thing about Bateman is that edgelords like Rodger only watch the movie and see this immaculately put together suave gentleman but never read the book and see that he was originally meant to be a poser who could only realize the alpha male image he so strongly desired to embody through intense fantasies and self-delusion.

Could you elaborate on the differences between movie and book Bateman? Is it open to the viewer's/reader's interpertation (regarding the gap between the two) or are the differences generally concrete and/or message-altering? I haven't read the book and I want to know if I should give it a shot.

Book Bateman is open to interpretation. I mean you can choose to believe whether or not it happened but Ellis emphasizes the whole angle where no one has any idea that they're talking to Bateman while they're talking to Bateman about how terrible he is more in the book than Kubrick does in the film.

I think you should just read the book and form your own conclusions. Just beware if you're squeamish. I'm generally not, but there's a few scenes in there that even made me a little like "WTF."

>The thing about Bateman is that edgelords like Rodger only watch the movie and see this immaculately put together suave gentleman but never read the book and see that he was originally meant to be a poser who could only realize the alpha male image he so strongly desired to embody through intense fantasies and self-delusion.
this is in the movie too unless you are blind to the dynamism of bale's performance. just look at the business card scene

I mean that exactly sounds like every self-described "alpha male" I've met.

top 40 radio trash and hip hop

>Kubrick
Kubrick?

bateman-core

It is, but there's far less of an emphasis on it than in the book and thus it's less noticeable. Not only that, but if I recall correctly doesn't the movie end just after the naked chainsaw massacre scene? While the book has a completely different ending that leaves things a little less black and white, and also gets more in depth about the rivalry between Bateman and Paul, as well as explicitly stating that [spoiler]Paul Owen is still alive by the end of the book, thus revealing that Bateman murdering him never happened, which means him murdering all those women likely only happened in his head, which explains why he keeps getting away with it despite never paying much attention to the finer points of body disposal or killing women that he was frequently seen leaving clubs and shit with[/spoiler]

My bad, mixed it up with A Clockwork Orange. For some reason I thought American Psycho had been directed by Kubrick. I usually don't pay much attention to directors.

i think almost every scene shows him to be a total poser but i've seen the movie like 35 times

an established musician and instrumentalist with a long career predating their sudden and, to many, unexpected rise to stardom in a purely pop context

...i'll give it to you

youtube.com/watch?v=B2yCyUo0c7s

Top 40 of 7 years ago

Indie
Kanye artsy hip-hop
Pop top 40
Hipster music "un-ironically" Bjork, radiohead

Hip-hop scientifically proven, makes sense if you think about it

Dance and electronic music, midlife psychopaths prob still phil collins, sinatra etc...