Can someone explain this whole Electronic Music "Performance" stuff to me?

So I had heard in passing that some dubstep/EDM/whateverthefuck artists such as Skrillex or DeadMau5 were going on tour and selling out huge venues and I guess I didn't think much of it at the time, but I just saw video posted on facebook of this guy who calls himself Marshmello doing a show and it hit me. What the fuck is he even doing up there? He's standing in front of what looks like a huge music production workstation covered in fake turntables and shit while a RECORDING of the song plays. And I guess he knows he looks retarded just standing up there so he pretends to be turning knobs and shit while bobbing his head and doing the most cringe white guy dance moves I can imagine. What the fuck appeals people about this shit?

Link: tinyurl /yadxyat8

Just bumping this shit so it gets a chance to be seen

eat a bullet illiterate rockfag

sex appeal through drug use and pandering to the lowest common denominator

raves used to be for rejects of society till the mollies came into fashion, then big business realized they could pimp out junkies for their disposable income and its been history ever sense

I don't know why, but I suspect this is the first super old guy to make it as a youth sensation in a costume, God bless him. He just moves so slow and seems so fragile.

The best shows have a synthesizer or two on stage, but a lot are very lazy.

Anyway, it makes a shit tonne of sense financially. Think about it, if you were trying to make money in the music industry would you either like to A: split the money between 2 other dudes that play tracks all night or B: 15 other dudes that need to each bring a van load of equipment to perform. And then, if you conceal your identity, you can just move to a new costume once everyone hates your current character. It just makes a lot of sense, and is the future of music. Even if there is a rock revival, the EDM guys will be able to weather the storm because of how cost-effective their act is in comparison to a band.

And that's also why it became so popular in the first place actually, they have all this extra capital which allows them to afford advertising and to take risks and hire Philippino slaves to make their music for them.

Electronic music has been largely mimed for most of its history; the "performance" is purely theatric and has nothing to do with the music. If what you're doing actually affects the sound, the audience has no idea what contributions you're actually making anyway.

a lot of electronic music can't be practically "performed" by any number of people, unless you're willing to make significant changes and concessions

Is there a better electronic live show than Justice?

>several synthesizers
>better versions of bland songs with potential
>no "EVERYBODY PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE FUCKIN AIR" shouting
>so much shit in their workstastion you need to turn away from the audience to fit all of it
>encore starts on a completely different stage before returning to the original
>fookin laser lights

the virgin marshmello

chad deadmau5

sink it in

it's just a prepared mix of alternate versions of familiar material plus superfluous theatrics

it's not a music performance, it's going to the fucking circus

Autchre has the best elctronic show hands down.
Its also the total antithesis of every big spectacle show, complete darkness, the music is synthesized live though their own max patches and they intervene and improvise on algorithmic outcomes.

yeah but plebs don't like that kind of thing because there's nothing to look at, it's the usual "I don't want to watch someone checking their email on a laptop" bullshit

>justice
what fucking year is this?

>finger drumming on a Push

>going to a concert to look at things

Fuck marshmallo desu. And I listen to some of that stuff. He’s an absolute fraud

Justice, daft punk, Noisia, and current value all do incredible shows