ITT: Memes & Tropes You Hate in Genres You Love

>punk:
>"fuck the establishment mane, I took an econ 101 course before dropping out of community college, so I know how free markets really work"

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JtH68PJIQLE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>economics
this is a music board faggot

>sludge
>"watch me palm mute this entire riff"

Well, guess I can restate this again.

>pic related
This album, along with the whole band and genre, became horribly dated when My Chemical Romance and Fall Out Boy came in the picture. Screamo, for the most part is a one-trick pony; it thrives on its edginess. MCR and FOB actually took that already dull post-hardcore sound and improved on it, combining elements of Alternative Rock, Midwest Emo and Pop. They reinvigorated that genre into something worthwhile, which rendered Screamo bands all but obsolete by the early 2000s.

Skits on hip hop albums

>anything electronic
>that fucking sports synth noise
i dont know what the fuck it's called but I just associate it with basketball and it's such an overused sound.
also
>electronic music
>BUILD UP
>DROP

so overused.

>I like leftist music but only when it's not about leftism

Great copyright

I used to really like when they'd play a sample from a movie/show in the middle of the song but it's so overused now.

Didn't you hear user? Alt-right is the new punk!

>mfw I'm a flaming liberal, but don't like to hear uneducated people speak on subjects they know nothing about; right or left

Then you're the one who should shut up, since punk started out leftist. What do you think the "spirit" of the genre should be, if not working class aggression in the face of their unfair situation? Just aggression for no reason? Try some middle school Marilyn Manson music, then.

>heavy Metal/ death metal/ technical metal
>"fuck pop music, simplistic melodies are shit watch me use sweeps and douchebag guitar wankery to impress other fat neckbeards who claim this is better than jazz and classical

This was abrasive but it's a fair question. What "is" punk music, and what does it mean and what should it be about, in your opinion? What makes it its own genre if not a certain artistic, thematic unity? What makes some bands sellouts and others not?

people who like hip hop music, more specifically rap music and claim it has the same musical standards as every other genre

>Then you're the one who should shut up, since punk started out leftist.

t. Captain Obvious

>>What do you think the "spirit" of the genre should be, if not working class aggression in the face of their unfair situation? Just aggression for no reason? Try some middle school Marilyn Manson music, then.

>all forms of aggression come from societal/systemic issues
>all other forms are non existent and Marilyn Manson-tier

I literally have no idea what you're talking about, send an example

>thread on Sup Forums
>gets political
fuckin hate this trope

>nerdcore/pop rock
trying to copy weezer. cmon guys. try to find a unique voice.

>things which occur in society don’t have a societal root cause

>What "is" punk music, and what does it mean and what should it be about, in your opinion?

In Layman's terms, punk music is about playing fast/agressive rock music with different sensibilities of other genres in mind e.g. pop, hard rock, thrash (crossover), country, etc. that distinguish bands from one another.

As far as the subject matter goes it could literally be about anything, all that matters is how it's presented. For instance, the Misfits, argued to be one of the GOATS of the genre, basically recited B-movie scripts for the entirety of their discography. No one says they aren't punk because the "spirit" of their music didn't revolve around "muh government & society". It was fast rock and roll music that was heavily influenced by other genres (Static Age Era is often considered to be psychobilly, but meh) which obviously set the standard for the sub-genre they created, horror-punk.

To say the "spirit" of punk should revolve on one topic is pretty stupid imo for a number of obvious reasons.

>other people are the root cause and are to blame for all my problems

t. beta male

youtube.com/watch?v=JtH68PJIQLE
she uses the noise over and over and over again in this song.
Stuntrock used to use it in a couple of songs.

revolve around***

Jesus Christ every "riff" in that song is lifted from another song.

What if I genuinely delight in even the memeist tropes of classical music? When Mozart halts dramatically on a half-cadence I just want to cuddle him.

Lol what

eh, I'd say FOB's first couple records comply. But everything From Under The Cork Tree onwards was incredibly derivative of Ted Leo and in a way as not to build but simplify. MCR's first two albums too, except they moved to darken other genres after those (TBP is darkened Queen, DD is synthpocalypsey Ramones, cw is basically just more Queen and Bowie love tho).

>you have to be an academic to know you’re being exploited

stop hearing your own thoughts

Bastard, you almost got me into Grimes. Fuck.

Generic Doom Metal
>Lazy Repetition
>Literally just a Black Sabbath riff but changed up somewhat

>Try some middle school Marilyn Manson music, then.

Even he's fairly leftist.

punk != punk rock

The Misfits and other shirtcore bands like The Clash and The Ramones are as punk as Celine Dion even if they are textbook old-school punk rock.

>bitching about things you don't understand and not being able to make educated arguments to substantiate your system of beliefs

no u

Not arguing with any of that, but all of those bands you listed are still of the punk genre, regardless if they are hardcore or not.

>but all of those bands you listed are still of the punk genre,

Yes.

>regardless if they are hardcore or not.

I didn't say anything about being hardcore.

Punk rock as a music genre, and punk as an ideology, are two completely separate things that rarely overlap.

Crass is one of the "punkest" punk bands and they're not hardcore or very punk rock at all. All the way back in 77 they were saying that punk was dead and they were absolutely right. Signing onto major record labels completely went again the punk DIY ethic.

Like someone else said, punk as a political ideology is also unapologetically leftist/anarchist.

I always thought it was funny that the people who were like "booo! Good Charlotte and Blink 182 are posers!" were also into The Ramones.

this

>MCR
>FoB
>Screamo

I hate you people

prove it

I never insinuated MCR and FOB was Screamo, moreso they took the post-hardcore origins Screamo displayed and merged it into their own, superior style.

i still have no idea what you mean. timestamp?

>dark ambient album
>radio static
>neo classical synths
>lustmord style bass drop
>check label
>cyclic law/cryo chamber/late era cold meat

stop

>dixieland
>trombone

I don't know why but it ruins it for me. I dig Kid Ory but not that much.

>I didn't say anything about being hardcore.

That was the implication I got from it. Just because a band believes in an ineffective, useless, and stupid ideology that died a long time ago, doesn't mean they are more punk than the a band who doesn't. I'm arguing over the music and punk music is independent of any ideologies, whereas the punk ideology is entirely dependent on the music as that is where it originated.

>Punk rock as a music genre, and punk as an ideology, are two completely separate things that rarely overlap.

Exactly. The ideological element (trope) within the genre is trite at this point and equally disingenuous. Almost no one lives within the confines of the "punk ideology", hence my original post ITT. If people did live by punk ethics, they wouldn't be able to fight the system like they claim to want to, especially in this day in age. They'd be a wage slaves doing what their perceived masters wanted them to do.

>Crass is one of the "punkest" punk bands and they're not hardcore or very punk rock at all. All the way back in 77 they were saying that punk was dead and they were absolutely right. Signing onto major record labels completely went again the punk DIY ethic.

Again: punk music + punk ideology ≠ more punk. Like we both said, they are two different things, one just came from the other.

>Like someone else said, punk as a political ideology is also unapologetically leftist/anarchist.

Again stating the obvious, and hence why there are many sub genres of punk. For instance, Anarcho punk is a subgenre within the whole of punk music, but isn't anymore punk than any other subgenre of punk for the simple fact that it focuses on a particular subject.

>I always thought it was funny that the people who were like "booo! Good Charlotte and Blink 182 are posers!" were also into The Ramones.

Except The Ramones are decent, this just sounds like any other ignorant, entry-level novice listener who you can find in every genre.