If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego...

>If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego. You begin to refuse sounds that are not musical and that way cut yourself off from a good deal of experience.
Does refusing to listen to certain genres of music mean you're an egomaniac?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VujTwunwQ2E
youtube.com/watch?v=t_hTxJpWITw
youtube.com/watch?v=T-WxkHCr-Ak
youtube.com/watch?v=NE6n2VBo2cM
youtube.com/watch?v=K_0W5MIQrT0
youtube.com/watch?v=SSulycqZH-U
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The greatest trick John Cage ever pulled was convincing the world he knew anything about music

Well, he saw ideas that are objectively present and he just became the spokesperson for them, whether they're good ideas or not

Except every composer after him of any worth has acknowledged that Cage was a total genius.

Even fucking Boulez took from Cage.

>le egoless buddhist white dude meme

i unironically can't wait for facist historical revisionism to delete this fag from the books

I wouldn't say it make you an egomaniac but it does make you artistically challenged.

Boulez is also a pain to listen to. I don't care how fancy he is, after Schoenberg and his gang most things were shit. Messiaen is the exception every now and then. And people like Steve Reich are not even close to someone like Debussy

I take it your grandfather was one of those blowhards he showed up.

Oh and I didn't mean to shit on Varese and Stockhausen, they're great

Debussy wasn't capable of psychoacoustic effects that Reich was. Boulez is a pain to you I am guessing based on your implied taste because you can't into changing perspective of how to listen to music. Your perspective is about an entire century old now.

this is a narrow interpretation of this quote

XD

he studied under Schoenberg so yeah, he did know something about music

do you know anything about Cage?

damn

fuck off retard

Leave him be, he's some bitter faggot trying seem contrarian and intelligent.

bork likes him so he's cool in my book

But Schoenberg was a hack.

you're really not in a good position to call anyone a hack

Wow, his memes are outdated too

I went to an art museum over thanksgiving and literally every exhibit had pictures of him and works dedicated to him. Can someone post a good composition of his? like not just a proof of concept piece

As one of the people flaming him itt I would still recommend his string quartet and his prepared piano sonatas and interludes which were written during the same period.

Sonatas and Interludes, Imaginary Landscapes No. 1, Williams Mix

Personal favorites that aren't linked as often:
youtube.com/watch?v=VujTwunwQ2E
youtube.com/watch?v=t_hTxJpWITw
youtube.com/watch?v=T-WxkHCr-Ak
youtube.com/watch?v=NE6n2VBo2cM

and why is that, faggot queer?

because you didn't write the greatest string quartet since Beethoven's 16th
youtube.com/watch?v=K_0W5MIQrT0

kek, imagine actually posting this

What have you done in your life?

oh you know, worked, lived, traveled, gone to school, fallen in love, gotten sick on christmas, stopped and started drinking coffee again, ate meat after 4 years, made friendships that all disappeared but one, wrote a piece for an orchestra and heard it played sitting next to my father who i wasn't allowed to see for years, stayed up wondering why i wasn't excited to go to bed with my lover, and shitposted on Sup Forums while at work. the usual. why you ask?

youtube.com/watch?v=SSulycqZH-U
memes aside this is legit good dark ambient avant garde

>memes aside
>posts a meme

What did he mean by this?

holy fuck, imagine being this insecure

>you begin to refuse sounds that are not musical

what in the actual fuck do you mean.
what's "musical" can be subjective to your average person.
or are you talking about a musician who does it for a living?
country is inherently shit though, and i am physically bothered when i hear it playing.
if i hear country music playing in a store i drop everything and leave.

it's inspired by Buddhism, you accept whatever comes without making judgments

applied to music, it means you're willing to listen to any sound without evaluating it as good or bad, pleasant or unpleasant

>If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego. You begin to refuse sounds that are not musical and that way cut yourself off from a good deal of experience.

All the Sup Forums kiddies thinking they understand and identify with this because they listen to Swans and MBV

the stock laugh makes this so unreal

simply it can transfer as meaning having no preconceptions of what constitutes having the makeup of 'music'
bc really the aural dimension has so much to offer in the average things... to which the same affect can surely be felt if you don't ignore it all

Okay great great great great granddad

>bc really the aural dimension has so much to offer in the average things
if that were really true and not an intellectualist's fantasy, then wouldn't the wider conception of music have changed among people? the vast majority of people discriminate between music and sound and, what's more, they abhor cross-contamination in one direction only. it's okay for music to inhabit the world of sound but not for sound to infect the world of music.

I love that Cage still btfos normies and brainlets decades later. when will we see someone like him again?

there's nothing intellectual about it. if people intellectualize it, they miss the point
and people don't for many reasons. people don't like to analyze the common sounds because of that fact- they're always there and they become commonplace of an environment. they just are and to call them 'musical' seems to miss the point. i can accord with it by just not confining my conception of music

>if that were really true and not an intellectualist's fantasy, then wouldn't the wider conception of music have changed among people?
You don't generally gain an understanding of things without deliberate effort, so no.

if you are basing everything of note that you've done with your life you quite literally have no accomplishments

Describe the artistic merits of crunkcore.

t. hasn't stopped and started drinking coffee again
clearly you're just jealous

>if you are basing everything of note that you've done with your life
at least he can write coherent sentences

its not incoherent, its not concise but definitely not incoherent.