Just got back from watching this movie

Just got back from watching this movie.

I'm actually sort of baffled that it's getting middling reviews. I thought it was quite good. Honestly thought it was better than a lot of the Harry Potter movies.

What did you think, Sup Forums?

It was pretty good. My only problems are: The main guy is sorta too autistic, the fatty got the hottest chick in the movie, Collin Farrel was raping that gay looking kid, Johnny Dep was in it. I think the whole thing with the obscurity or whatever could've been left out, but it was still ok.

Just as bad as the Hobbit. Not enough time with the main character, extended universe shit slows the narrative down. Felt like two separate movies jammed into one.

On a positive note though, I though the art direction was decent, and I liked some of the new characters.

I actually think that it helped the movie not being tied to a book like the others.

Also, return to showing actual magic shit, compared to the later HP movies

I think you're a pleb they announced it would be like goblet of fire which is the most normie approved one. Its not better than any HP, especially Cuarons and Yates they are still underrated

Here comes the contrarians.

1, 2 and 3 are the most comfy and fun because they actually focus on the magic setting rather than edgy teens

I think Farrell as Graves as his own separate wizard supremacist would long term be better than Depp as Grindelwald.

Well, we barely saw Depp do anything at all, so it's hard to say.

No you're the one being contrarian, I appreciate both and I only care about a good movie, the direction was tight after 4. Witchcraft is inherently grimdark, Rowling wrote grimdark after voldemort returns.

The latter movies are good.

It bothered me that he wasn't a real character. I thought Collin Farrell was pretty good, and a sympathetic villain for the most part. From now on, we are just going to get literally Hitler Grindelwald

how was he sympathetic

>contrarian
They are all comfy. Azkaban Deathly Hallows and Half Blood Prince are regarded as the best though. No matter how much people love 1 2. Which I do.

He seemed like he genuinely cared for the well being of his people, except for the part where he called Ezra Miller a squib. He also seemed reluctant to sentence Newt and whatever that bitches name was to death.

>Half Blood Prince
I don't get why so many seem to consider it that good

It was basically a stoner comedy in wizard's robes

That's true. The actor and character being revealed like that was a bit jarring. I really enjoyed the movie though. I too think that it being so separate from the previous story is a big plus as well.

Actually the guy you're replying to is a huge fucking pleb lol

It reminded me A LOT of Doctor Who, which I actually quite like (or used to at least)

Agreed. I won't go so far as to say sympathetic, but I really enjoyed what they did with him until the reveal.

The CG was a bit jarring. Sometimes it looked really good, other times it was VERY BAD

For you, atmosphere and tones and direction is tight. Builds to a great climax and captured the eerie vibe of their last normal year slowly going to hell

I liked the jew mole

I wish there was more Newt+Jacob bro-op in the movie

I thought it was s great movie. Me and my family enjoyed it thoroughly. I can't speak for them, but I actually liked it more than of the any Harry Potter movies, mainly because it doesn't center around a bunch of kids.

Kowalski is fucking fantastic.

he even had a bloody vegetable on his jacket
it had to be on purpose

I wish fight scenes were something more than shooting projectiles/making barriers/teleporting.
Magic gives so many possibilities for creative action scenes and sadly the potential was wasted.
Btw what is the deal with fights in places underground with a lot of archs in HP series?

This

This. We called it Shlomo Goldberg during the viewing and we're still laughing about how jewish that creature was.

Also, I never liked HP, (don't hate it either) but this was a good movie. The fat guy was also the best comic relief since John Hannah in the movie. I'm glad he got the hottie in the end.

>Just as bad as the Hobbit.
The hobbit was just a bad attempt to make another lord of the rings while this is its own thing

I just watched this too and I spent the entire movie repeating the words "This is reddit, this is memes, this is reddit, this is memes..." under my breath.

I fucking hated it. I was writhing around on the floor in front of my seat for the last 30 seconds it was so painful.

>Ayy quirky fairy movie lmao
If you liked it you're in the wrong place

So this is an underrated gem?

Harry Potter = Reddit

Fantastic Beasts = Sup Forums

>I'm glad he got the hottie in the end.
yeah I liked the ending a lot. i actually got a bit sad at the part where he had to have his memory wiped, most "tearjerkers" in these types of movies don't work well

No its an overrated piece of sh*t dr who flick

Perhaps if it didn't take place in one of the dullest franchises in the history of movie franchises. Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

typical contrarian fucking mindset, reddit are bookfags

Exactly, it worked because you liked the character. I never thought I'd say this but it was nicely written by Rowling. This said both main characters (Newt and Tina) were just ok. The movie turns great everytime the fattie, the hottie and the Jewish are on screen. Even Creepy Farrel was finally good in a non-indie.

Tina got snubbed in favor of Jacob.

He had more scenes and development than her

Well the jury is still out on Waterston if she's actually a good actress and since her character her is also weak and paper-thin we'll have to wait until Alien: Covenant to see if she's able to be as charming as needed for this..But Fogler was great, what a surprise. And the sister was beautiful.
Also Ezra Miller was great. No wonder Newt and Tina stand out as boring, the rest was a good cast that did a good job.

I think Newt was alright. I don't think he was supposed to stand out too much. He came off as a weirdo, which I think was intended.

I got the sense that the important characters were the ones around him

She was great in Inherent Vice and Queen of Earth you capeshitcore pleb

Its a family movie and it does its jobs. The kids loved it and everyone else enjoyed it.

tina was even more qt than her sister

>Inherent Vice
No one was good in that piece of shit. What a fucking waste of talent. Fucking stoner movie that only contrarians would like.
I love PTA but that movie was even worse than your average PWA crap.

Which would fit with the news that Newt may not even be the main character in all the sequels.
Shlomo spin off when?

>Hitler Grindelwald
Fucking kek. This is now the only reason why I'll watch any sequel for this.

Come on as if you didnt notice the clear Anti-Wizard sentiment they were trying to provoke. I think the Salem witch trials were mentioned quite a few times.

Graves was an asshole

They do a good job at world building and not being an annoying pandering piece, and that was a complete surprise. It's all the concepts and the magical tone that made me really like it. Behind that though, the story's structure is actually really poorly written and we couldn't even get proper arcs for the main characters.

It's a kind of movie that has a lot of good aspects that may blind you from the bad the first time around, but I have a feeling it's less enjoyable withe rewatches.

No she was dogshit in those you autist

why wasn't Grindelwald using the elder wand

One thing confused me. Like the USA branch has a President and all but arent all magic affairs governed by the Ministry of Magic? Arent they the ones that wrote the laws for wizardry?

I think it's a bit unclear, because it seems the different locations all have different wizarding governments?

Does the Nordic countries also have their own ministry like America and Britain?

>No one was good in that piece of shit
She, Short and Bronlin were great and actually felt like they were part of the film.

>that scene where Newt is in the bed
my sides

>the fatty got the hottest chick in the movie
Not surprising since he was the best character.

and then when jacob laughs out

But right from the get go (previous movies) they established the ministry as being some sort of overlord entity of magic governance. Kinda like a congress or parliament.

Are you sure, though? because apparently Voldemord was also contained only to Britain

Not even exaggerating but some of the few people in the theatre fell asleep during that dreck.
I laughed with Brolin in the trailer but didn't care about him in the movie. Short was wasted (like everyone). And you probably liked Waterston's ass, because she does absolutely nothing in the movie. Even Phoenix is dead in the movie, can't believe he worked so well with the director in the previous movie.

As shitty as Where the Buffalo Roam. those druggie movies are unwatchable.

When the books/movies came out the Ministry was in charge of the EU. Now with brexit it's going to change.

What if Newt was played by Ryan Gosling

>....I write.....

That weird mating dance in the zoo would have been less overacted but even more awkward with the Goose.

That scene was a hit in my theater

People were losing their shit

Yeah, they laughed too in my theatre, but I was a bit distracted by the acting. Probably the only one, I mentioned it after the movie and everyone said it was fine.

I know what you mean. Something seemed off. Not the knowledge/quirk/passion the character has, but something else with the acting. I'm probably just being too nitpicky or something.

It would have been a better movie.

No way on earth that magic rhino could have been turned on by some white ape acting like a retard.

Trust me, I read some books.

It's the actor I think, he's good but he has a tendency to go full out and overact. He was the same in Jupiter Ascending but no one was laughing during that movie (probably because the theatre was totally empty and the few people were ashamed of answering questions afterward about the movie).

I thought it was pretty good.

>graves going ham and fighting off 20 wizards off at once
>two hot chicks as main characters

Hopefully the next movie shows the famous Dumbledore vs Grindlewald fight

Garbage

>Hopefully the next movie shows the famous Dumbledore vs Grindlewald fight

Don't want to smash your hopes but since it's going to be 5 movies in total we'll have to wait longer. Much longer.

If not for the retarded ending it might have been my favorite popcorn flick of the year.

When was the last time big budgeted rollercoaster had likable characters?

>When was the last time big budgeted rollercoaster had likable characters?

I'm going to get shitposted into oblivion but I honestly thought Guardians of the Galaxy had likeable characters. Before that: The Mummy.

I thought that chronologically the fight already happened, so it would be a flashback

I'm not a Potter expert, but if it's a flashback it would be a great opening sequence.

>Dumbledore vs Grindlewald fight
>dude we phase around and flippendo shit up
>Expelliarmus!
>Avada Kedavra!
>*collide midair*
>closeup on Johnny Depp's face looking all mean and evil
>It's over! I have the higher ground!

and it lasts like 20 minutes

Who will play Dumbledore?

If GotG wasn't part of the MCU Sup Forums would have been all over it. It's a better Star Wars movie than TFU ever was.

Your dad LOL

Forgot the lack of soundtrack.

No, they're showdown is already confirmed for movie 5. If they do make 5. This one didn't bomb but it was no HP movie as far as box office. If the next one isn't a noticeable improvement I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped at 3.

>inb4 ewan mcgregor

He's actually a perfect fit.

>It's a better Star Wars movie than TFU ever was.

I thought so too. Watched Star Wars as a kid and even then I preferred Indiana Jones or the mentioned Mummy movies. They are just more fun.

Also, Sup Forums not reacting to my statement shows that the majority doesn't even go to the movie theatres and just wait for the webrip. What an awful way to watch any movie.

Michael Fassbender

Daniel Day-Lewis

I liked the ending for this one very much. Wouldn't be too angry if they just leave it like that.

They're all busy partying slavbro, it's friday evening in US.

>Sup Forums
>partying

Nice try.