Greatest horror movie. Agree, disagree, why?

Greatest horror movie. Agree, disagree, why?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/4W--6KM27WQ?t=9
g.co/kgs/VHFIcm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I couldn't get past that first scene where he gets frustrated at his computer and pours his whiskey into it.

Like yeah, we're at an isolated outpost in fucking antarctica, let me destroy a computer and pour out some fucking whiskey. Both those are irreplaceable out there.

This. It was so unrealistic and petty I just turned off the movie.

Yeah but the computer was a cheating bastard

the original is better

Best horror ever, Top 10 film ever, and arguably the only true TERROR film ever made. It fucks me up every winter I watch it, in my dark room, with loud speakers and pumpy bass. Everyone talks about the imagery, but the sound is where the true horror and terror are.

I'm watching this right now with my family for thanksgiving

I think you mean bitch, user.

Jesus Christ, dude.... you need to watch more movies.

Incredibly overrated garbage, praised by people who browse Reddit and get triggered if you say anything bad about it. It's just a bland movie with cool practical effects. Every time I say this people insult me but can't really say why 'the thing' is such a good movie. It has no redeeming qualities other than its practical effects

>I just turned off the movie

You should turn off your life.

No, I really don't.

I agree with everything you said. Love it.

I've seen over 30 "scariest movies of all time" horrors in the 2~ months and not a single one has scared me

Fucking scare me bros. I want to feel despair.

Have you seen the orphanage?

What scares you? Tell me what scares you I will tell you a movie to scare yo. Many Horror movies are based on jump scares,and are not actually scary.

Movies simply don't scare me. It's pixels on a screen nothing will actually happen to me.

Yeah that is jump scare horror, it is not real horror.

>tfw can't reply to this without seeming buttblasted

Look how cool you are

What's real horror then ? I hope it's not 'psychological horror' aka doing nothing for 2 or 3 hours supposedly 'creating tension' and show something midly spooky at the end

The Thing is great. Top ten horror. I'd put Psycho first. Alien is top ten too.

Not an argument

youtu.be/4W--6KM27WQ?t=9

Great horror movie but definitely not the best of all time.

It's overrated af
I was more disgustied thanscared

I find The Thing to be such a great movie not because it's terrifying in the traditional sense of putting the viewer on edge with spooky silence and then hitting them with jumpscares, but because of the atmosphere it creates through character interactions and the development of the plot. As it is revealed just how subversive the monster is and how all trust between characters must be disintegrated, you begin to realize how hopeless the situation is. The hyper paranoia the characters face translates to the viewer, and your first viewing is coupled with a sense of dread and anxiety, one of the very few horror movies where suspense is done right. I think the most genius part of the movie is the question it proposes at the end, the question of whether or not childs is infected, the answer to which isn't 100% knowable. However, after multiple viewings while paying close attention to the subtle details and the order in which events occur, one can actually answer that question with a large degree of certainty, which is that Childs was definitely infected. They could have put the answer in big bold letters at the end and have Childs erupt into gore and whatnot, like what would happen if the movie were made today, but they dont - they leave it on the same suspenseful note they've been carrying throughout, allowing the viewer to become engaged with the film and solve the puzzle themselves.

It's overrated here, sure.
It was critically panned when it first came out.

Only he wasn't

If only it were that easy

I could send you my home movies of my life

Neither is what you said

>posts a frog
>expects to have his post taken seriously

You were doing good until you said there was a definitive answer to the Childs question because there isn't. Carpenter has said as much

I just can't think of it as a horror. It's a really good as like a suspenseful action thriller sort of thing but nothing in it really scares me.

I just watched The Witch though and that was genuinely fucking unsettling and it didn't even have a single jumpscare in it. I think it's the best horror film I've seen.

It's almost as if it come out in the early 80's and was reappraised more recently.

It is certainly great. I don't know if it's the best, but it hovers around my top five. I have three or four solidified favorites and the only movie that might keep The Thing out of my top five is The Texas Chain Saw Massacre.

I don't necessarily agree that it's the single best but it makes a very strong case for it regardless.

he was drunk

people can do really dumb shit when they're drunk

WHY DOES NO ONE HATE WHAT I HATE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you've never been shitfaced have you

>horror movie

It's a terror movie not a horror movie you fucking moron.

Being drunk isn't a get out of plothole free card.

Love the thing OP one of my favorites growing up. This movie was creepy as fuck.

That's where you're wrong, Jimbo

Most of the characters actions makes no sense, practical effects aged like shit, characters are cardboard cutouts with no depth (but that's your usual Carpenter shit), you know at all times who is the thing except for the bullshit ending, bad acting everywhere.

I enjoy the movie, it is one of those "so bad that it's good" because it's shittiness makes it funny, but it is definitely overrated, way too overrated.

Cosy movie, I guess, but it is not scary, not a horror movie at all.

>plothole

I don't think you know what that term actually means.

I'm wasted right now fuckface, yet my computer remains whiskey-free. It's a blatant plot hole.

Stupid memeposter.

0/10

>2hours of woodchopping and a goat
so spooky, this isn't even horror, it's drama

It's a combination of drunkenness, anger and probably cabin fever. Can't know what you'd do in that situation until you're in it. You know he had to kicking himself afterward, at least until he had bigger problems to worry about

I do know what it means you shit you're the stupid faggot who doesn't know a DAMN THING about how the real world works. Get a life you fucking asshole don't even bother responding I've already won this stupid song and dance before you came to MY board.

How do you kill The Thing?

You don't.

The moment The Thing lands on your planet you have a very short time frame of mere minutes to nuke it 15 times.

If it so much as touches the ocean or touches a winged insect, the entire planet would be doomed.

>butthurt: the post
You posted da frog, feelsanon. Reap the fire.

So that's a no then.

Stupid memeposter. Try to make an argument next time, until then stop responding to me.

It's not a plothole.

It, also, wasn't the only computer.

Greatest horror movie of all time
>why?
It's rewatch factor is incredible. I've probably watched it a dozen times and it's still enjoyable.

The scene is stupid but I give it a pass. Every horror movie is filled with tons of completely retarded decisions made by the characters. At least with this one the retarded decision doesn't matter in any way.

>Don't ever talk to me and my son again: the post

Look at it again. Mac is playing and says "You're starting to lose it old girl." Implying he has played against the program long enough to notice the flaws in the AI. But when confronted with an impossible move into checkmate, he destroys the "cheating bitch" machine. This is a symbolic representation of the entire plot of being faced with an unfair, no-win situation; where the only best possible outcome is complete destruction.
>You are a pleb with no attention span.

The drink in the computer scene really freaks young people out. Old folks understand and get it.

This.

Well summarized

Over analizing

Thank you, Captain Obvious.

Is symbolism supposed to excuse a bad script?
Is BvS suddenly the best movie ever made despite making no sense because of all the symbolism?

Thing fans are pathetic. I saw you people even defending the awful Norris-thing eats the guys arms scene then getting BTFO'd and just posting "its a comfy movie" or "you don't get it".

>and and the moster was infinite god and can infect a planet in 5 seconds and hes all powerful
What a shitty monster

There is a reason why this movie was shat on by the critics when it was released:
It's not a good movie.

BUT like many bad cheesy movies from the 70s and 80s, it became "cult". So people who like it like to pretend that is is a "timeless classic", and here in Sup Forums there is a circlejerk mentality, so of course people who like the movie will go to great lengths to ignore the movie's blatant flaws.

Getting called "Captain Obvious" and "Over analyzing" with the same comment.
>Feels good, man.

OK, I didn't need to call him a pleb. It's a silly scene meant for comedy. But the symbolism is there.

What do you not like about the chest chomp? I'll admit that the worst part of it is the over-the-top "Gloop" sound effect. But the practical effect is amazing.

I didn't like it so therefore it wasn't good.

What are the reasons then you dumb redditard?

The fact that the guy tries to defribilate Norris' stomach, and he tries to defribilate it by jamming it, basically punching Norris hard, which is the only reason why he got his hands in Norris' stomach.
Then there is the fact that the guy's hand get ripped off above where Norris-thing bit it.
And the guy screams for seconds while waving his mangled arms AND NO ONE in the shot reacts, they pretend to be still.

Something that made the chestbuster scene great was the reaction of the actors, of the characters. They saw blood, went "what the fuck?", then it bursted and they genuinely reacted to it.
But in The Thing? Nope, they only react in the next cut that is a close up of them.
It's not organic at all.

You're trying waaaay too hard.
0/10

See? Thanks for proving my point.
Any flaw that is pointed is just disregarded as "bait", even genuine ones like I pointed in the Norris-thing scene.

I'm starting to think most of The Thing fans in Sup Forums are underaged, because even my father laughs at how cheesy and bad movies used to be back then, like the Prisoner TV series that had that big ball that chased the guy.
So the only reason why you try so hard to like this movie to the point where you can't accept any flaws it has is that you are a try hard underage trying to feel mature.

The bait guy need to fuck off but so do you. Just because people have different opinions and love what you hate does not make them wrong. Your flaws are nitpicking and pointless criticism. The Thing is no perfect film, but you seem like a pretentious asshole who just wants to pretend to be superior.

Watch The Wall. That movie is all about conveying a lifetime of despair and isolation. The animation is immensely fucked up, too.

You need to fuck off, because this idiot is just trolling you, so that he can feel superior, as you rightly pointed out. He's an idiot, and he wants everyone to stupidly hate the thing for nitpicky reasons, just like him. If you watch the thing in slo-mo, you're missing the point. If you're analyzing each and every frame of special fx, you've missed the point.

He missed the point, and he wants everyone else to feel bad about it. He needs to walk out into the blizzard.

But I like The Thing. Just because I'm critical of it doesn't mean I hate it.
People are allowed to like bad things. The Thing is bad? Sure, but I like it, I can recognise it's issues and still like it. Just because I like The Thing it doesn't become a good movie all of the sudden.

That's not really a problem with Thing fans in particular, but with most people. If the person likes X, X is good - and vice versa. There are movies I don't like but I recognise they're good.
It's like people can't fathom the idea of liking bad things.
Get down from your high horse, babe.

still 0/10, only with extra whine
do you need a friend?

Not actually scary

Why can't most other horror movies even compete with The Thing? But yes, greatest horror movie.

I miss living in upstate NY sometimes, well into winter, 4-5 feet of snow on the ground, middle of the night, kill all the lights. Top notch experience.

g.co/kgs/VHFIcm
best thing to come out of it

>Being drunk isn't a get out of plothole free card.

Fucking this. I seriously could not believe it was the end whenever the credits rolled.

Actually it is. And often IRL too.

What's your top three?

I'd say this

>Like yeah, we're at an isolated outpost in fucking antarctica.
You act like it's the end of the world or something.