Is there a better modern sci-fi film?

is there a better modern sci-fi film?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=L9Mf5UBFvH4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The ending is shit.

Thats not the question, also care to expand?

Under the Skin

If by modern you mean last 5 years, then yes.
I'd argue Matrix is superior.

I like Moon more.

imo no

No, it's kino.

>hurr durr love saves everyone
>hurr durr humans paradoxically save themselves

WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK DID YOU SAY ABOUT INTERSTELLAR YOU LITTLE BITCH? I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW IT WAS A REFRESHING AND OPTIMISTIC ENDING TO A MOVIE IN A GENRE WHERE EVERYTHING IS BLEAK AND DEPRESSINGLY POST-MODERN.

1999 Is Over 5 Years Ago

>actually thinks love was a real force in the movie

retards can't even understand a Nolan flick lmao

>they think good sci-fi was produced in 21st century

It couldve been.......By God it couldve been the best Sci Fi movie of that year. FUCKING LINDORF GO FUCK YOURSELF

I fucking loved Interstellar but I really don't want to rewatch it unless it's in IMAX again

Anyone else know what I mean?

Arrival

Ex Machina
Inception
Moon
Arrival
A Scanner Darkly

Yes. You mean to say that you like to enjoy it on a big screen.

what did he mean by this?

Arrival had the same thing happen like Interstellar.
Good movie with interesting concepts, beautiful to look at. Everything fine.
And then they managed to throw it all away by introducing some random ass bullshit like "love is what holds the universe together" or "language allows you to look through time". I dont get it. Nolan and Villeneuve cant be this dumb that they dont realize how this makes the entire first part of their respective movies completely invalid. Why do they deviate from the wonderful science fiction they have, and turn it into this bullshit.

Arrival was, exactly like Interstellar, a 10/10 until a certain point in the plot, which turned everything into a 5/10.

They may still be the best modern scifi, just because there is no real competition.

>Based Tom does it again

Has there been a better Sci Fi movie since Minority Report was released?

Only one I can think of that comes close is 'Moon' and that's totally different

>He didn't get it

so there will be appeal for the normies

Love (2011)
The Ugly Swans (2006)
The Congress (2013)

I just dont get why the majority of Sup Forums seems to have enjoyed Arrival, when they definitely hated Interstellar.

Is it really just because they hate Nolan but think that Villeneuve is "/our guy/"?

>is there a better modern sci-fi film?

Absolutely.

>"I'm gonna have to science the shit out this!"
>literally uses scientific principles to convert his crewmates' shit into fertilizer for his space taters.

10/10 SF kino.

it's necessary

better? no. Somewhat close to that master piece? maybe. I enjoyed arrival, give it a try.

>Has there been a better Sci Fi movie since Minority Report was released?

Yeah, and it had Tom in it, pleb.

It was really the opposite of Interstellar, which was very well made, (as far as I remember) wasnt quips and unironically reddit humor every minute of it, but for some reason just didnt manage to be scifi through and through (see ), while the Marsian was an absolute pain in the ass to watch if you dont also like capeshit, but was actual hard scifi.

Why cant they make good scifi no more?! I really want to know.

except for the ending, the whole 'mother controls all' idea is so tired

Moon and ex machina were both better

You know all Nolan had to do was remove the Meta-Physical aspects of the movie and just focus on space exploration. I guarantee it wouldve been the perfect sci fi movie then.

>It was really the opposite of Interstellar, which was very well made

Except for an overly complicated plot that hinges heavily on characters blubbering like little girls. And the Love Dimension.

You're just low test and emotional, user.

keep up the good fight

Were are saying the same thing mate. When I say its a well made movie I mean cinematography, lighting, dialogues, characters, sound design etc, which Interstellar actually had going for them.

The Marsian had all of these either worse or completely shit, but what it had was an actual scifi story for 100% of the movie.

This?

Dark Star was better than this nonsense.

kys

>I'm a retard the post

the entire thing is exposition babby physics shit

>Edge of Tomorrow is better than Minority Report

>mfw

Edge of Tomorrow was great, but at the end of the day it's a generic alien invasion story

Minority Report is a kick ass Futuristic Dystopian sci-fi/thriller

Way more interesting and multi dimensional

>muh love transcends reality and physics
>muh generic time travel paradox

Ruined the film.

I would have liked the martian so much more if they had cut out 90% of the dialogue. I mean I get why it was there, and appreciate that they at least establish it, but it still would have been nice to have long stretches of the movie where it was just near silence. You know, to make you feel the character's isolation, and earn those few moments of lighthearted quipiness.

That shit is fucking stupid time travel babby tier and i love tom you fucking bluntfag

>it's a generic alien invasion story

You're delusional my man

youtube.com/watch?v=L9Mf5UBFvH4

What a fucking autist

He's right, though. The science was shit throughout most of the movie.

Kip Thorne was tapped to add credibility to a load of space opera bullshit.

one of the top physicist
>What a fucking autist
muh Nolan faggboy but hurt when people expose how shit Nolan is and how he steal from anime to make "original" movies
GTFO pleb

>Movies aren't real life
wow really made me think

>I like Moon more.

Honestly I dont get why people praise moon so much. Is good, but feels like an extended twilight zone episode more than a real film.

Yeah, but I've seen numerous fans try to sell this fucking thing as "hard SF".

The Martian was hard SF. Interstellar wasn't.

wont even start how he copy paste whole scenes from Frank Miller Batman into his shitty meme trilogy

Cloud Atlas. It manages to tell a non-linear story without resorting to a time travel paradox.

I'm really really sick of every sci-fi movie having a time travel paradox now. It's not creative or intuitive anymore. Yes we all know that time may be a non-linear dimension. That doesn't negate the fact that we literally cannot comprehend non-linear time because our brains aren't developed enough for that, so for both Interstellar and Arrival we have to just roll with it despite it being unsatisfying.

Cloud Atlas spans the length of time itself without going into any bullshit paradoxes and by the time it wraps up it feels completely satisfying. It also has some of the best sci-fi visuals of the 21st century.

Not even that similar but holy shit Paprika is so much better. Kon is a better filmmaker Chris will ever be.

>The Martian was hard SF
are you memeing

the corridor and the street scene are just copy pasta 1to1
Nolan is the ultimate pleb filter

knothxbye
District 9
Moon
Ex Machina
Inception

Interstellar is still pretty close though.

I don't really remember the street scene in Paprika, but wasn't the corridor one totally different? One is an action setpiece with gravity bending shit, other one is the nightmare sequence where character keeps getting sucked into the "floor".

I'm sure Christopher has seen Paprika and probably took some inspiration but that's about it. Inception is a totally different movie about different things.

>knothxbye
post tits

>I don't know what hard SF means

SF devoid of speculative, unproven elements...like "wormholes", or tesseracts at the heart of black holes, or Love Dimensions. Or anti-gravity.

The Martian, Moon, and Ex Machina are hard SF...clones, moon bases, AI and androids are all things non-speculative and "real", if only at a future date.Gravity wanted to be hard SF, but failed, because there's no fucking way you could you could change orbits from the Hubble to the ISS with a simple EVA unit.

If you can get past the same actors being re-used with frequently hilariously bad makeup in different ethnicities, it's the best Wachowski Sisters (kek) movie since The Matrix.

Not impressive considering everything else has been pure shit xcept for Speedy.

>you will never fly through literally impossible frozen clouds
>you will never be seeded by an alien dissolvocock
>you will never get threatened by emily blunt in a corn field
>you will never be warmed by ionizing radiation
>you will never get to look at emily blunts ass every day for a quadrillion days
>you will never get dissolved
>you will never get to bake a pretty cake with plastic hair on
>you will never get your own asian clone fucktoy
just mix the salt into the popcorn already!