Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/lH-LhBNA46M
twitch
youtu.be/o0ubgQsk9pI
kobun.weblio.jp/content/かはゆし
gogen-allguide.com/ka/kawaii.html
jisho.org/search/担当
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

is reading more important than anki grinding?

are people actually using the Discord link, and if so, how many?

In both of these sentences I don't really get the meaning of てしまう. The second sentence especially throws me off because she's doing something so normal by handing her change.

The definitions I can find are: do something completely, do something impulsively, imply regret/undesirability, express surprise. None really match what she's saying here, especially for the second sentence. On google some guy said it could express "carefreeness," which would make sense for sentence 1, but in sentence 2 she's just handing her change.

What's the meaning/nuance of しまう in both of these sentences?

>do something impulsively, imply regret/undesirability, express
Giving something for free means loss for sellers, so 〜もつけちゃう is often used as a slogan. The second sentence is a joke.

Damn, the way you described it made complete sense. I didn't think it was that easy. And the joke is that it sucks/is undesirable to give up the money; for some reason I didn't think of that. Thanks

trying to set up images for Anki, just downloaded and all.
Stuck on the guide on how to add images. It says to type in {{Add-Image}} but nothing is changing. How do I do this?

>なんて
What the fuck does it actually mean?

Depends on the usage and it may not have a direct translation.

A なんてね at the end of a line would mean "Just kidding."

なんて素敵 would translate as "How lovely."

what's the go with the over the top comments in this video?
youtu.be/lH-LhBNA46M

is it some big meme or are they legit train otaku arse-mad over a guy kicking a train door?

he didn't even kick it hard, it's like people in these comments never got frustrated before

what is the cutest kanji
i'm partial to 常

Are there any good streaming channels on youtube / Twitch in Japanese? It seems like there's no Japanese presence on it at all unless you're playing LoL / shadowverse.

ニコニコ

I'm not really sure what qualifies a kanji as "cute", but 気 is one of my favorites

twitch DOT tv/communities/japan_stream

Under rain of a kind words,I wish I shed tears with it.
SAN rise easily so much on my head putting in order.

Correct my English

日本語でも表したいことを書いてください。

俺は膣が好きだ。

優しい言葉の雨の下で涙も混ぜて流せたらな 片付け中の頭の上にこれほど容易く日は昇る

in any other thread correcting the English of an English native would be normal but in a Japanese language thread it's a bit much

I like "藤"

Thanks. Could you tell me what this means? I'm pretty sure I found the word, but the や instead of い is throwing me off. Is it some conjugation I'm unaware of?

just came across this, jesus christ

I believe it's just an old form of exclamation.

That's Ito Junji for you.

Showered by kind words, I wished my tears, too, would mix with the rain.

The sun rises ever so slightly, shining on my head that is putting things in order.

詩的な言語を訳するのが難しいよね。よく分かったら、こういう意味があるよね。

How do you say "with" instead of と "and"

Like 牛肉とご飯 is "beef and rice"
How do I say "beef WITH rice"

Cool. Thanks.

It depends on the context. You can translate と as 'with' in certain cases, as in your example. In other cases you might for example use a form of ~に伴う。

Or you might want to use と一緒に, as in 'I watched a movie together with my girlfriend'.

Thank you ;)
It's so difficult for me to translate Japanese poetic phrasing into English.

ゼルダとハイラルのために

does this actually make sense as in "for the sake of Zelda and hyrule"?

Yes, you can use ため like that. You can also use a verb to make things clearer:

Xを守るため(に) In order to protect X...

You're welcome :) I hope I understood it correctly.

てしまう means that you "end up" doing something.

女 + 良 = daughter

Doesn't get cuter than that.

How bad is informal writing in Japanese? (2ch, Twitter, YouTube comments, pixiv...)

Would it be like Sup Forums, where you can spot people writing decently from retards who can't even into Caps Lock?
How does one tell? Is punctuation a mystery to natives? Because guides in general are very loose in this area.

I think と is probably closer to "with" than "and" anyway.

>お茶とミルクを飲みました
I drank tea and milk
>お茶とミルクを飲みました
I drank tea with milk

Unless I got something wrong.

ミルク掛け茶。・ω・

Is my first mining deck supposed to be every single word and kanji at the beginning of the manga I'm reading?

>at the beginning
What?
My advice is to mine only the amount of words you will be able to review on that very day, else it will get backlogged and lose the appeal of mining decks: being in context.
So if you want to keep it meaningful, choose what you're mining wisely.

I am about to give up learning Japanese.
I am in second semester in university, and now it gets too much.
I chose it because I wanted to go to university and this was the most interesting class for me.
Now I achieved some N5 or N4 even in Japanese, in the beginning it was very interesting and fun, but honestly, now it is just tons of exceptions, fucked up kanji which I have to memorize 50 a week, and complicated forms and always different pronunciations (fuck I still struggle to count things or days of the month). Besides, I dont really ever use Japanese except in class. Still I think this is the most interesting subject of all subjects in university, but now it feels like meh, why torture myself with all those te, ta, tari-forms and so on.
It is like astrophysics - I am interested in how galaxy works in simple terms, but when it comes to math, I dont really give a fuck.
Why continue?
What do you think?

>50 a week
You were not gonna make it anyway, sarabada.
Now give me your flesh, before someone talks you out of it!

That's not necessary, and probably a bad idea. When you set anki to show new cards in a random order it actually prioritises more recently added cards, so you can have all the benefits of fresh context and the convenience is a backlog at the same time. On the other hand if you don't start building a backlog early on, you'll find it difficult to mine enough words every day to meet your quota in the future.

People with high correct % in anki for vocab: How do you do it? Did you do RTK/etc to make it easier to recognise words? Do you write out each new word, make sentences with it, etc? Or is your memory just good enough that you see it for the first time in anki and you can recall it the next time it shows?

I started doing isolated kanji study in hopes to improve my recognition and there was a word that came up in anki that I had forgotten. I remembered the meaning of the two kanji it used which helped me remember the word itself (予定 = in advance/fix = schedule/plan) so that was neat. But my retention is still pretty bad.

I'm not really sure what your ambitions were in the first place

Dude almost all the things you mentioned are like the easiest part of Japanese. I doubt there is any other language that has fewer exceptions and more regular pronunciation and conjugations

The thing is: if you mine 1000 words in one week, that's 50 days. Will you still remember where you saw that word being used, assuming you kept on reading other material? And when you get to 1000 reviews, your backlog might be on the 5000s. It becomes no different than doing Core.

I'm using core 2k/6k deck. I just make rivalries with the people on the cards when I get something wrong the old bitch on hiyaku and the fags on kaeru being notable examples.

turkish

What would you consider high retention? Try making a custom study of forgotten cards of that day. Do it as far as possible from actual reviews. For instance, if you do reviews when you wake up, do custom study before going to bed, or vice-versa.
I did this when my retention started to drop due massive new kanji input by Core (around 700 cards for 350 kanji). It helped with damage control, although if you're doing individual kanji study, you already seem way more prepared to it.
Always remember to look to the amount of stuff you're learning, not the amount you're forgetting.

To me 50 is a lot, because I have other hobbies and things I want to do in spare time. I guess just different priorities.
It seems kinda pointless, I will never live in Japan, and even if I do, I will be forever the gaijin, so its not like I am expected to know the language more than a certain amount. I enjoyed learning it, but slowly I feel this is not going anywhere.
What keeps you motivated?

I've only been studying for a week and a half so this is my first real attempt at reading anything and I don't really know any words. Should I be putting everything I look up into a deck? I've been doing the Anki core 2k/6k deck for 4 or 5 days but it's mostly only covered numbers and days of the week so far.

Mandarin

>What would you consider high retention?
75%+ probably

I was getting ~65% on 10 cards a day and now I average 60% on 20.

On the other hand I get 85-90% correct with my kanji deck (20 new a day) for both recognition and writing cards combined.

Do you mine just to have a more expansive context for your example sentence? There are more advantages to mining than that. The most important thing is that you're memorising words which are relevant to the kind of material you're reading and that you're likely to encounter again.

Once you've done 200 words or so start on Tae Kim so you can actually practice using your knowledge in sentences.

>What keeps you motivated?
well pretty much the same reasons why I started, anime, manga, jdrama, life goal of being semi-fluent in several languages at some point, and a smug sense of superiority

I've read about half of Tae Kim so far. I'm up to verb conjugations that's what I studied today.

A vocabulary of 1000 is very beneficial before you start reading, but if you finish tae kim you're totally free to try reading with what vocabulary you have up to that point.

whee, my first greenie

and I kept confusing it with 万

Ah, I see. Well, generally I recommend finishing Core 2k before reading, since it'll give you a foundation to avoid this constant looking up every single word, but if you don't feel demotivated by it, keep reading.
Maybe it's a bit early to mine (since you're already doing Core), how about reading without any compromise for now? You can get a better grasp of what's worth mining once you're done with Core2k and Tae Kim (or some other basic grammar guide).

I see. My overall retention is around 88%, used to be higher than 90% for the first 10 months or so, if that's any parameter. I'm starting to forget a lot of matures (75-85% retention), but that's my fault for not reading enough.

I don't mine, I went for the full Core10k ride.
I agree with you, but context seems like the strongest plus in mining to me, measuring a word's usefulness as a beginner is a really shaky science. Think of Yotsubato teaching you pic related in first or second volume, or all the cult references that have no real life application. It's as "bad" as learning political lingo via Core.

おめでとう

>不夜城 - nightless gay quarters
What did the Japs mean by this?

well it's pretty self-explanatory or not
new york for example is the "city that never sleeps"

I did RTK beforehand and I also make mnemonics for the readings of words. And I read a lot.

つけちゃお=つけてやるよ
i will give you them as appendixes
me too
lel
*流せたなら
日本語でOK

Du studierst Japanologie oder wie?

うらめしや
"Thou shalt be avenged"
that is a common phrase that represents a curse of a ghost.
楳図 かずお
やな
If you let your tears flow beneath a rain of kind words
The sun would rise this easily above your messy head
「容易(たやす)く」の意味を取り違えているな

>"Thou shalt be avenged"
Neat. Though it seems odd to tell someone you're hostile to that they will be avenged.

かわいい≠かわいそう
?

youtu.be/o0ubgQsk9pI

They are both equally important. Don't take this as, "Well if they're both important, I should be able to focus on one extra hard and be fine!"
Once you've got say, 1000 or 1500 cards mature in Core 2K/6K, you need to be spending at least 1/2-to-3/4 as much time reading as you do on Anki. This is the only way to begin maturing your grammar abilities at an early stage.

あの表紙絵を見るだけで、日本語スレが荒らしに狙われてるのは自損だとよく分かるよ

They are not equally important. You can learn Japanese without Anki, you cannot learn Japanese without reading.

nightless gay quarters
当たらずとも遠からず
it means an entertainment district like where night is turned into day
i think it corresponds to ancient Japanese words
うらめしや=怨めし+や
怨めし is an archaic adjective, which has 'shiku' conjugation
「かわいい」は、古語では、現代と逆の意味で、「かはゆし」で、恥ずかしく見てられない、または哀れで見てられないということだった。 この意味の現代語は「かわいそう」に相当する。
ちなみに、現代語の「かわいい」に相当する古語は「うつくし(愛し)」である。
古語と現代語では意味する所がまるで違うのである
refer to following
kobun.weblio.jp/content/かはゆし
gogen-allguide.com/ka/kawaii.html
the Fに媚びるつもりで、別の日本旗が立てたのだろう

>the Fに媚びるつもりで
doesn't 自損 mean self-inflicted damage? what I meant was that they get rightfully targeted

what's a good japanese expression for suffering from your own wrongdoing/fault?

It just becomes 10 times harder.

Right you are, what I should have said was "vocabulary and reading are equally important."

自損事故( self-inflicted accident)というように自損という言葉は使います
>what's a good japanese expression for suffering from your own wrongdoing/fault?
「自業自得」と云う言葉です
しかし、私は日本語スレがSpammerに荒らされているのは、自業自得だとは考えていませんので、あなたの考えには不同意です

typo
*私は、日本語スレが

Good Night
Every user

「セクシー担当」は何の意味?
In charge of sexiness?

>「自業自得」
thanks, that's what I was looking for, but I couldn't remember it

jisho.org/search/担当
Might be sexy manager or something

What are some good/big Japanese jazz radio stations? As in actual radio stations, floating in the physical air of Japan..

Failing that, good internet Japanese jazz radio?

>You're cute so I (always) wonder what you're doing and...
>I've even been following you from school to your house... for a long time now!

Is that right? I really want to know what the 寄ったあとも part means if it's not. Context is a boy confessing to a girl that he likes her.

>つけちゃお=つけてやるよ
I've heard of ては turning into ちゃ but not てや. Got somewhere else I can read about this?

it's just my guess really, but I'd say it has a connotation of ("even kept following") after coming close to her house
personally I'd expect a あとでも in such a case, but I can't really think of anything else that makes sense

Why gay?

Who do you follow on twitter? I'm looking for a news site or someone who talks about current events, etc.

you use a small ッ

67 people online right now, about 10 in current conversation in both offtopic and the japanese channels.
Pretty active.

So you can have a gay ol' time

old word for lively/cheerful/happy etc.

thanks,

皆san聞ite聞ite!究極no日本語no書ki方wo見tsuketeshimatta。Korekara漢字torooma字de書kimashoune!

Genius

Kono書ki方wa面倒kusaiyone

stop it