Record Player

Eyy Sup Forums what's a good record player that won't scratch my vinyls to shit but doesn't cost $400?

First one to mention victrola gets pimp-slapped, I'm warning you.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/vinyl/comments/5ghkwd/best_new_entrylevel_turntable_to_start_out_with/?st=iwchc4ty&sh=52547b07
youtu.be/357L0SbUuME
google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=audio technica cartridge at71&chips=q:audio technica cartridge at71,online_chips:at70 series&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwidrM3HjenXAhXnjlQKHYRbACAQ4lYILigA&biw=800&bih=1280&dpr=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

reddit.com/r/vinyl/comments/5ghkwd/best_new_entrylevel_turntable_to_start_out_with/?st=iwchc4ty&sh=52547b07
inb4 >going to leddit

Is there evidence of cheap turntables actually damaging records as badly as people make out?

>vinyls

>vinyls

Yes.
Anything without a proper counterweight will damage your records.

>award winning
Sony PS-HX500

youtu.be/357L0SbUuME

>is there any evidence that 5 grams of tracking force through a ceramic cartridge with shitty suspension onto a cheap stylus will damage my records more quickly than higher quality alternatives
do you even know what a turntable is you retard? there's a reason you couldn't even find tt's without counterweights except as kids toys and cheap all in one units before the vinyl revival

No , it's just that their owned by dossheads who put it on back from the pub. Disgusting people.

If you want cheap & good, you need to go with used, vintage. Check craigslist, pawn shops, yard sales. Find a well made quartz-locked direct drive, but avoid the straight-arm DJ tables (Numark Stanton, etc). Replace the stylus. Down the line, invest in a nice microline cartridge/stylus like Audio-Technica VM540ML or Ortofon 2M Bronze.

this. audio-technica or meme-pro-ject + ortogon 2m red

There is literally at least eleven highly rated brand new tables under $450.

Tbh you can get vintage tables which are usually cheaper and spend the rest of the budget on other quality components (cartridge, phono preamp etc.)

S/h is bad karma

Only problem with that is most people just getting into vinyl don't want to do all the research on what parts they need to replace and how to do it. They just want something that already works without any hassle.

Find a used record store in your area and ask them about it, they probably sell turntables too. I say used record store because a major chain store will just sell you a shitty crosley or something.

Are Lausons any good?

Would you guys or anyone else happen to know what cartridge this is? It's installed on a late 70's era Panasonic turntable.

This looks good.

If you know some shit getting an old one from like the 80s would be the best
If you lack knowledge just get an LP60 or 120

Looks like an AT71 variant.
google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=audio technica cartridge at71&chips=q:audio technica cartridge at71,online_chips:at70 series&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwidrM3HjenXAhXnjlQKHYRbACAQ4lYILigA&biw=800&bih=1280&dpr=1
Just unmount it and there's a stamp on top.

Hmmm, I know it shows up weird in the pic but this one is blue.

I just snagged this table a week or so ago, and don't know much at all about the technical side of things. Do I remove it by unscrewing the two screws in the top of the black part?

Also since this bad boy has been on there since the 80's would it be worth replacing?

>lp60

Stop recommending this table. It's garbage.

Why is that?

Yeah, just take out the two mounting screws on top.
If it's been on since the 80s, you should replace the entire cartridge. There are rubber components inside that dry up and become brittle.

It has no counterweight.

It'sperfectly acceptable as a newbie player

Even though it's a moving magnet cartridge fitted in, which is already a league better than cheap ceramic ones you see in cheaper record players, it's still plagued with lack of manufacturing QC (which might lead to actual variable VTF, as one example), no way to set up VTF and anti-skating, no way to replace the actual cartridge, and overall mediocre performance. I mean, you can grab it I guess, but only until you can find a much better turntable.

No.
A turntable without a proper counterweight is unacceptable. That's turntable 101.

Man, thanks for suggesting that. I need to do more research on this stuff. Any recommendations? Something less than $100.

It's all vintage equipment, so nothing truly audiophile quality (yet). I'm running it through an old Panasonic receiver that has a built-in phono pre-amp.

Look.
You can buy whatever turntable you want, but the simple fact is that if you are not willing to spend more money to get a quality table with a proper counterweight, you are going to damage your records and you are missing the entire point of getting into vinyl in the first place.
You can go ahead and be that guy who wants to spend all his money on records, but skimps on the actual turntable... but that guy is doing it for the wrong reasons.
So yeah, if you just want to hang records on your wall and take pictures of your records to post online... go ahead and buy a piece of crap. But if you actually want to listen to your records, and have them sound good... spend the extra money on a proper table.

There are a few good forums for tech stuff, like Vinyl Engine and the Steve Hoffman forums. Google the name and model number of you turntable + replacement cartridge, and you'll find good suggestions from people who have used the same table. Look for search results from sites like Vinyl Engine and the Steve Hoffman forums.

Oh yeah... Audiokarma is another good site for tech stuff.
And people here might shit their pants because of some imagined rivalry, but Reddit has a pretty good forum for turntables... especially for beginners.

No there's not
Notice how none of these people give proof to their claims

There's actually proof going against the opposite of what they say

Thanks, man. I appreciate it.

SL-Q20
L
Q

see

Fine then. Go ahead and play your records on a shit table. They're your records. Only you can care enough to make yourself put in the little effort it takes to do it right.

No problem. Enjoy your records.

What about the AT-LP3BK? It has a counterweight and anti skate.

I will never understand why someone would expend the energy to argue against a counterweight. It's just so silly and stupid... like you know something that the entire vinyl community is running a conspiracy to hide. Do you work for Crowley or something?

I don't know if it applies to vinyls, but the audio community is filled with snake oil so I wouldn't be surprised if the vinyl community did as well.

Listen to any 7" that came out of a jukebox. They're an extreme example, but proof that heavy tracking force + multiple plays = damaged vinyl.

How about the Pyle PLTTB1?

>a counterweight
>snake oil

This dumbest thing on the entire internet right now.

I bought an LP60 a few years ago knowing next to nothing about vinyl. I had an FYE gift card and a ton of trade-in money so I got it on an impulse buy.

Now that I know more about turntables, I try not to play my records more than 2-3 times in case of damage. When I am able to upgrade (which should be soon, or very soon if one of the thrift stores near me ever gets one in), what should I do with the LP60?

>Crowley

>still no proof that supports his argument
Are you a special kind of stupid?

counterweights have been on turntables since the 70s

what cabinet/shelf thing is that, looks like a good setup

Not sure actually it was something my dad bought back in the early 90s as part of a set. Might be Sauder? We had two identical ones but the other fell apart years ago

Once you replace it, you can try to sell it on craigslist or something. That is where I usually look for turntables.

>I try not to play my records more than 2-3 times in case of damage
i think it would be better for your records if you kill yourself

Yes it's a Sony table. The good thing about it is that you can listen to your records and transfer them to your mp3 walkman at the same time.

they damage only if they are unbalanced, just get good weight for them