/dsd/ - Dungeon Synth December

Listening to the new Old Sorcery release for the first time. What ds are you listening to lads?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ne8fzMxX2Ps
daily.bandcamp.com/2017/03/30/dungeon-synth-list/
darkageproductions.bandcamp.com/album/age-of-spiked-mace
m.soundcloud.com/user-861020175
rabor.bandcamp.com/
dungeonsynth.proboards.com/thread/344/christmas-covers
m.youtube.com/watch?v=NHEzG1DgxOg
celastael.bandcamp.com/album/the-sad-dragon
celebdil.bandcamp.com/album/the-return
youtube.com/watch?v=uTpRQS1LDiw
youtube.com/watch?v=t9MlMvRCXz4
github.com/lesliesbird/WizardsCastle
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

you did good. i like old sorcery.

I swear there's never two DS guides that look remotely similar. Come to think of it, with all that's out there, how do you distinguish good from bad?

It seems like pretty standard hi-fi ds, but it's not bad.
For me at least, I think to an extent you can hear an artist's earnest passion come through in their music. I think this is what makes good ds, not so much technical skill.

Whoops, didn't mean to tag chart user again

Depressive Silence are so majestic

What did any of you think of the latest Fief? Better than II in my opinion but I is an absolute classic already.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ne8fzMxX2Ps

Time to stir the pot: what's the consensus about the latest Thangorodrim release? Personally, I thought it was a more lackluster version of Taur-Nu-Fuin. Gil Estel seemed way too formulaic. The hype for it was ridiculous as well, maybe owing to why myself and others were let down by it. It wasn't bad, but I wouldn't call it good either. I hope that moving forward Thangorodrim can break out of the mould that he seems to have made for himself.

Dang, somehow still haven't listened to this. It will in my queue for today!

Been sleeping on Old Sorcery. Is it actually good or just more derivative bandcamp bullshit

Gil Estel sucks

here's a list if you want more
daily.bandcamp.com/2017/03/30/dungeon-synth-list/

It's decent, I'd say worth listening to at least once. It's pretty hi-fi with very clear production,, but I'd say more somber than epic in terms of tone. I'm listening to track 4 right now and I'm picking up oodles of Burzum worship.

I'm just checking this one out now too since I've been sleeping on it as well:
darkageproductions.bandcamp.com/album/age-of-spiked-mace
Mixed feeling so far. Hate the presentation and the attitude but musically it's better than expected

The only one I've listened to so far but it was dope

How many of you make DS yourselves? Is there any good nylon guitar or similar soundfont/VST for free?

I make dungeon synth. It seems that many of the fans of this genre make their own music as well, which is interesting. I haven't experimented much with guitar sounds though.

What kind of stuff do you use? I'd like to get into this myself.

>It seems that many of the fans of this genre make their own music as well, which is interesting.

It is interesting. Call me a faggot or whatever but the sort of egalitarian nature of the DS genre is not quite like anything I've seen before.

I just dick around with this keyboard when I'm bored, not really that good at making anything too layered or interesting.
m.soundcloud.com/user-861020175

I do. I started last December, inspired by these threads
I find it similar to bm and noise. All these genres have a high proportion of fans who also make it

I have a very simple set-up: a midi controller and I use Ableton as my DAW of choice. I also incorporate acoustic instruments. You really don't need much to start making your own ds, and I think that's part of why it does seem to be a pretty level playing field. There's a very low barrier for entry, plus the scene is very small, so artists, labels and fans all converse and have a stake in the future of the genre.

You just make owl synth tho

Sounds pretty inspiring. I have a MIDI keyboard, DAWs and such. I also play a few instruments, so maybe I could just play the guitar myself. I didn't know people played acoustically.

touche

not many people use acoustic instruments in ds, but I think that's a unique direction to move in. Another artist that does this is Rabor, you should check him out:
rabor.bandcamp.com/

Thanks. I will.

Yeah acoustic stuff is p uncommon. I was workin MIDI at first but now just play it all live on my keyboard. Cheap digital pianos are great for DS

listening to this now: only just started, but this synth tone is awesome. I have to say though, I really dislike that album art though. Possibly the blandest castle I've ever seen.

Yeah shit tier album art imo. It’s so ugly and brown and boring

This one also bores the shit out of me and as a result I have not listened

It’s nearly 2018 and relatively big artists are actively jacking Dore art. The absolute state

There's at least a bit more going on in this one though. The Carnifexian artwork though, there's just so much unused space and the towers of the castle are so bare and boring.

Speaking of split ds releases though, I'm pretty stoked for the Werewolfsblut/Crypt of Carmilla split that's due out soon

I’m pretty not since Eric is a gothboi homo and the album art is shit

well speak of the devil

lol that he may be. I'm definitely excited for some new material from Werewolfsblut though. I've been looking for a copy of Dungeon Dirges, but I can't find one anywhere.

All the squareness and like the terrible 3d work (like where the fuck is the vanishing point) makes it super awful

Yeah he’s actually good. Eric however is just a self-proclaimed Lamentation dickrider

There are 0 DS releases I’m hyped for. I just want new Erdstall but that’ll never happen

Yeah. His music is good and all, but I guess this is a downside of a music scene being so small: since practically everyone knows everyone or at least knows of everyone, there's going to be some people whose personalities kinda mar their music.

Like how I can’t listen to Verminaard because John is a piece of shit

I wonder what he's up to these days. Hopefully he's still making music.

Exactly! I think that's why I've never listened to Grimrik's stuff either, he's just too stand offish which turns me away from his music.

He’s been active as of January this year but that’s just Fortress of Mystery

It’s okay to have principles by if you feel the need to be super obnoxious and annoying about it then I will swiftly dismiss you. This is part of why I love Dispell, because he’s so nice and chill

True, true. It's pretty wild how many quality projects he's behind. There isn't a whole lot of dungeon drone like Erdstall though.

Two tracks off the fruity new Despondent Halls release somehow sound fucking exactly like AP

I feel like most people in ds are pretty friendly and relaxed, there are just a few obnoxious ones, most of which broke off into their "true" group anyway.

Are we still making a Christmas album this year?

Agreed. They can continue fucking off as far as I’m concerned.

some are interested in this idea

dungeonsynth.proboards.com/thread/344/christmas-covers

I don’t have the energy to actually do it despite starting the forum thread about it

DS blew the fuck up this past year

Does ds mixed with dark folk exist? Like arrowwood ( m.youtube.com/watch?v=NHEzG1DgxOg ) with synths and maybe shrieks

Well Nebulosa and Rabor both involve acoustic instruments (as mentioned earlier) so those may be worth checking out. Nest also appears to have a lot of appeal in both scenes

release a new alder deep album immediately or i'll end myself

>tfw have a whole day of sitting in bed reading LotR and listening to my DS cassette collection
I literally didn't know it was possible to be this comfy

I was just thinking this. I’ve discussed chapter 3 hype with at least two other people recently I think

Where do i start with dungeon synth guys? the charts are misleading

What’s misleading about them? Just listen to early Mortiis and prison Burzum, then expand into Depressive Silence and Lamentation, then check out more modern stuff like Abandoned Places, then just peruse whatever

What said is pretty spot on. In addition, Wongraven and Lord Lovidicus are good starter ds

Post ur bandcamps nerds

Yeah add Wongraven to the Depressive silence/Lamentation/old school essentials and lord lovidicus to the more modern camp. Erang is also good starter ds on the modern end

Where's the guy with Secret of my Kingdom? He owes us a poem.

>page 7
We’re not makin’ it through the month boys

Oh shit, yeah where's he at?

celastael.bandcamp.com/album/the-sad-dragon

Just listened to this. I listened to it when it was first released, but this was my first time listening since. Very enjoyable overall.

We can make it through the month, I believe

>tfw want to discuss DS all month but too swamped by all the new releases and just want to get comfy and listen to some 90s shit
Any good current (obscure) acts who do a good job of replicating that classic sound? Normally I just go for whatever has a grainy black and white album cover.

love these threads

In this thread:

Sounds fun, keep us posted

Old Tower but they’re far from obscure...most modern bros can’t do it right. I can get the look and at times the feel but rarely quite the same sound. What I do is too noisy to be really called old school, sort of a reaction to modern hypercleanlines.

I prefer his work as celebdil.
To answer you, , celebdil may be up your alley:
celebdil.bandcamp.com/album/the-return

Not too obscure, but Spectral Kingdom I think captures the classic 90s sound well

Listening to this at the moment, not really that lo-fi DS, but I'm enjoying it. Beginning is VERY Summoningy, if that's your cup of tea
youtube.com/watch?v=uTpRQS1LDiw

Grimspire is great

Ah yeah good choice

nice chart. cool to see some modern stuff compiled together

Can modern stuff be good? Can it be a classic? Thoughts, Sup Forums?

i personally love a lot of modern stuff. some of the more progressive modern DS i hear gets me excited about a potential renaissance of sorts within the genre. with the advent of the internet and more advanced and widely available DAW programs i think DS has the capacity to really take on a distinct life of its own in the years to come

What sorta modern stuff do you like?

i think a lot of this stuff shows how much potential the genre has to grow in modern times.

there's a lot of other stuff i like too but this is what came to mind immediately

r/ing that mega dungeon synth essentials link that also appearead on chart.

Heyy I have the basilisk and foolish fire on tape

Of course there's good modern ds, some of which would be modern classics. Abandoned Places and all related projects, Hedge Wizard, Erang, Chaucerian Myth and many would say Thangorodrim. I've even seen the Pumpkin Witch release called a "modern classic."

Its not midi synth but I feel most of you guys would like this anyway

youtube.com/watch?v=t9MlMvRCXz4

Here’s some of my collection

Who said that about PW? That leftist?

Fucking hell that's nice

Here’s more

So according to bandcamp I’ve sold about 125 DS tapes. DS for this feel?

What are some great RPG's I can play while listening to my expanding DS collection? Preferably something without graphics.

I might also be interested

"The Wizard's Castle, aka Orb Of Zot is a classic text adventure that has been around in various forms since 1980. Originally in BASIC, I have rewritten it in C for Amiga and other systems."

github.com/lesliesbird/WizardsCastle
I've been playing this recently, its neat.

Any dungeon crawler or Dwarf Fortress if you don't want any graphics.
Playing Mount & Blade is really nice with ds tho

I was thinkin' of playing some dorf fort. I have yet to M&B with DS but I know it is pretty damn great with BM.

That’s your project right? I know whoever made it was posting here last year

Nah I found it in a rar of DS I downloaded. Was pretty good so I kept it. I plan to make some DS before january tho.

I made my first DS album in a couple hours on December 3rd of last year and posted it in the dungeon synth threads at the time and it’s just been a fun adventure ever since

Til Det Bergens Skyggene is the best modern dungeon synth artist.