Years after his death, what do you think of this guy? I'm not fond of his pretentious opinions on what constitutes art...

Years after his death, what do you think of this guy? I'm not fond of his pretentious opinions on what constitutes art, but I've noticed from his reviews that a lot of the times he went against the grain and would enjoy something when everyone else was spinning the narrative that it sucked. So one thing I can respect about him is that he was a critic who gave his true opinions instead of saying what he was paid to.

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/TheHat2/status/786801286981091328
twitter.com/AnonBabble

i just used his show as extended trailers before the internet.

I was overjoyed when I heard on Sup Forums that this charlatan had finally died, but I was also saddened by the fact that he hadn't suffered that much before deciding that he could insult film criticism no longer. The pain and suffering that he went through is only a fraction of the evil that he inflicted on the millions of cinematically illiterate teenagers. When I found out that the old fart had finally decided to not assault the public with his adolescent approach to art, I pulled off the framed picture of Armond White from my wall, kissed it reverently, and immediately embarked on a Korine marathon. Good riddance, you jawless hack.

Same, always loved the guy for giving his honest opinion, also, youll get hate comments from people from Sup Forums.

Damn. I feel dirty after reading that.

>"I am happy to say it brings back an element sadly missing in recent movies, gratuitous nudity. Sexy women would "happen" to be topless in the 1970s movies for no better reason than that everyone agreed, including themselves, that their breasts were a genuine pleasure to regard -- the most beautiful naturally occurring shapes in nature, I believe. Now we see breasts only in serious films, for expressing reasons. There's been such a comeback for the strategically positioned bed sheet, you'd think we were back in the 1950s."

just another sexist white male tbqdesu

He was one of the guys that didn't completely misinterpret Falling Down, so he gets some cred for that in my book.

good critic despise some close-mindedness and tendency to freak out whenever a female character would suffer abuse or degradation like he was being personally insulted

I certainly can't fault him for his earnestness and respect for classical storytelling, something sorely missing in today's community of SJW bloggers posing as movie critics.

he was an entertaining writer and at the movies was comfy

What a pervy old man.

He was an excellent writer
also I found that whenever he seemed to like a film, chances are I would find something to like about it too

he was dead wrong about these however, The Master, Raising Arizona, Papillon, O Brother Where Art Thou and probabl some more I'm forgetting

i didn't always agree with him but like others said, he was a great writer

and NOBODY could shit on a movie like he could when he disliked it. truly based at taking the piss out of a film

He called Dirty Harry fascist. His opinion shouldn't be taken seriously

Knee-jerked about racism constantly.

wasn't his wife black?

I don't know, he was obviously one of the old civil rights movement types, but he always brought up race or racism when the movie had nothing to do with it and he'd just become offended over nothing.

Him and Siskel had some of the greatest on-screen chemistry I've ever seen.

You could tell they were both truly passionate about movies, and as others have pointed out, they were honest till the end.

I don't think we'll ever see another duo like them. They were truly masters of their craft.

fucking yikes

faggot, shit critic, ruined the medium of film criticism. Now you have to read bull shit by faggots that work at colleges or Armond White.

Of course you could always read the astute posts made by intelligent anons on Sup Forums or racist gay bodybuilding forums.

He liked all the SW prequels except AotC.

How Sup Forums can hate him is beyond me.

Yeah, looked like a couple of androgynous dyke spawns the both of 'em.

He was truly ahead of his time.

I wonder what he would have thought of TFA.

I'm still reeling from the realization of how left the media is. I found out today FILM CRIT HULK is one of those "Trump is literally Hitler" faggots, after finding out Dan Harmon was one a few days ago. I'm worried Roger Ebert would be one if he was alive today. How far left was he back in the day?

>Being unable to read someones opinions if they have a different political stance to you
Neck yourself.

American bipartian politics is so fucked.

Not him, but the problem is they let their political opinions leak into anything else they say. Though this person seems like the kind of fella who wouldn't have noticed.

he was a huge pleb.

>ruined the medium of film criticism.

Bullshit, I can think of other critics that did that before I'd consider Ebert as someone who ruined film criticism.

>I found out today FILM CRIT HULK is one of those "Trump is literally Hitler" faggots

So? That's nothing to worry about. This on the other hand..

twitter.com/TheHat2/status/786801286981091328

The problem is that the left demonizes their opposition as weak, evil, or inferior. This is what "Trump is Hitler" actually means.

That is not the problem.

He was a fucking retard who parroted others opinions and put pseudo-knowledge on the end to make himself be seen as smart. He also rated A Clockwork Orange a 0 because it was too scary and then went back and changed it when he realized other people liked it.

Who's a good reviewer then?

Gene Shalit

His partner Siskel was usually better.

>Sup Forums absolutely shook that their hobby was correctly called out as a waste of time and not an art

>dismissed fight club because """aimless violence!!""" without interpreting any of the subtext and philosophical points about masculinity
>wrong about fullmetal jacket
>wrong about there will be blood
>managed to see some white supremacism in conan when arnold decapitates the snek leader, in a world with character archetypes as simple and pure as errol flynn's robin hood movie, and on top of that completely ignored the subtext and philosophical points about purpose, ambition, trust and the riddle of steel
but I like him tbf (to be frank). I tend to read his reviews after watching a movie, because he might've seen something I've missed, or I might be forced to formulate why I don't agree with him. and his list of great movies is pretty good.

not an argument

Most of his writing is trite and surface level. Often it is literally internet "critic" tier of explaining the plot and then writing couple vague sentences about what he liked or didn't like about the film.

There isn't really that much depth to his writing.

>some whore sucks cock for a good game critic review.
>Sup Forums acts as if ww3 just started and everything is a lie.

I can agree with this, but some reviews (Mean Streets comes to mind, where he notices the use of the color red) are pretty astute.

The MGS series is basically films. I don't see why it should be treated any differently from films.