What's the consensus on this guy?

What's the consensus on this guy?

2nd best character surprisingly

best character

He and the mind reader carried the fuck out of that movie.

I know the actor too, I saw him back when he was doing the Putnam County Spelling Bee. I was picked as one of the audience spellers and got eliminated first, but he made sure to thank me for doing the guest speller role after the show anyways. Honestly just a great dude.

MAHOU TSUKAI?!

The scene where he's about to be obliviated is probably one of the few genuinely feelsy moments I've seen in these Wizard movies.

Should have been hired as Newts assistant.

he's coming back for the sequel

This

Who's the best?

He was great. All the antics from the creatures was fun and interesting. When they had to obliviate him it was genuinely touching, especially the kiss. I kinda wish the movie was more about them re-capturing all the creatures instead of the stupid evil kid plot that nobody cared about. All that shit leading up to a reveal of Johnny Depp was a real drag on an otherwise enjoyable movie.

One of the few bright spots in a turgid mess of a movie. Genuinely liked him and his character, wish it could've just been about him instead.

Jewish waifu of course

what? the monster shit was the forced crap that couldn't carry an entire movie. the CGI was awkward (see: rhino) except for the platypus.

The creatures are the only reason to watch the movie. They needed a much better plot. I wouldn't say the evil kid plot "carried" the movie.

Which one?

Couldn't disagree more. They should have cut half the monsters and actually built a better story around the Darkness-thing and the anti witch society and the political campaign which led nowhere. They also needed a scene where the real potus would warn the wizard-potus that war was on the line and why, because that wasn't explained at all, they just said "We're close to a war!"

Right. I think I'm in love.

I wouldn't say that either but just because that plot was bad doesn't make the creatures plot good. they were both undercooked. Ideally, it would've focused on Kowalski and Newt and hot blonde jewess.

/ourguy/

This movie would have been so much better to me if they had skipped the whole cgi whirlwind of death destroying new york plot. In a series like Harry Potter with such imaginative monsters like dementors and boggarts it was really disappointing to see the villain just being this destructive force. It was really boring to look at and the idea wasn't very interesting either. Iexpect more from a universe like this.

Okay, sure, they needed to pick one or the other. It felt like two completely different stories. Only one of the main characters knew what was going on, and that was tenuous in and of itself. I'm just saying I liked the monster shit. It was a nice contrast to the edgy Harry Potter universe

exactly

I've loved this guy since Balls of Fury. If I ever met him I'd ask how Disneyland was.

>the idea wasn't very interesting either
obviously you don't have a giant dildo up your ass because it was really obvious what the point was

it's way more blatant than x-men about it too

Completely disagree. The Grindelwald and Creedance stuff was okay but the monster stuff was way more enjoyable.

I don't think I've ever been so bored and unengaged in a movie climax before. It's just another city being destroyed in an unimpressive CG sequence. There's no stakes; no one feels like there in danger and the consequences of Graves succeeding are entirely vague. Actually, there's less than zero stakes by virtue of this being a prequel so you know that no matter how cuh-rayzee things get the status quo will be reset hard by the end.

And what an asspull that obliviation rain was.

It's like they thought that the only way to make an ending is blow shit up and figure it out later. Everyone loves Prisoner of Azkaban, it's the best of the movies and the books, and that ending's entirely centered on one stupid griffin, but I cared infinitely more about that griffin.

left

I know right. Not only is this in style with Harry Potter, but one would think that doing a prequel would lead them to tone it down and make it smaller because of that limitation too. But nope, gotta have that avengers finale sequence again. Apart from the characters I'm kind of surprised Rowling wrote this.

>obviously you don't have a giant dildo up your ass because it was really obvious what the point was
wat

patrician

It's an allegory for faggots

How come this movie don't be having any POCs!?

black people weren't around yet in the 20s

colin farrell/graves

You Motherfucker.

I liked Newt, Jacob, and Queenie, and while Graves was entirely half-baked as a character, Colin Ferrell is a good-enough actor to make his scenes work. I didn't care much for Tina, though. It doesn't feel like she changes or develops at all, and she doesn't have any chemistry with Redmayne. She's just kind of... there.

It has way more than makes sense actually

THEY
WUZ
PRESIDANT

He was a little too quick to accept everything. Like he just seemed fine with everything he's ever known being a lie. But it was really refreshing to have a beautiful girl fall for a below average guy for once.

>It doesn't feel like she changes or develops at all
that's one of the problems with the movie, there are no character archs or developments except for jacob.

>Wand registries
>Banning magical creatures
>Blacks in positions of leadership/power in 1920's

This was supposed to be America, right?

Felt like they could have cut some of the less interesting monsters and spend more time with a few of them. At the end of the movie I felt as though the movie wanted me to feel this special relationship with the thunderbird but we really only spent a small sequence with it.
The whole obscurus thing was a mess.

They also played way too loose with the rules. I don't know if it's just been too long since I read the books and watched the films but could they really just teleport everywhere all the time and just spam spells without even saying the spell?
Also what a terrible first impression of Grindelwald, didn't feel like he was especially powerful at all the way he kept whacking his lightning at Newt for 5minutes without results.

Does this movie explain why didn't the magic community save the Jews during the Holocaust?

I mean, I'll give them Newt (who seems to come out of his shell a bit through his friendship with Jacob) and Queenie (who jumps at the chance of adventure and puts her life on the line for the man she's fallen for). Tina's got absolutely nothing.

That comes later.

New York has always been a bureaucratic shithole, but the black thing is still a stretch

When your reality gets replaced for something better you take it as it comes. Like Matrix but backwards.

>He and the mind reader carried the fuck out of that movie.

Agreed. Without him, the movie would be considered bad.

>implying JK Rowling believes in the holocaust fairy tale or cares about jews

>Tina's got absolutely nothing.
the way she seemingly got reinstated offscreen also robbed her of any development. I thought the actress was great though and she really sold the last scene which made her very likable but she and Newt definitely needed more scenes together where she changes.

Another good vs evil plot?

You sure are a creative one.

Because they knew it didn't happen.

Some people are quick to embrace things and it was nice to skip that typical "skeptic" phase in a movie.

I just want the wizard equivalent of /k/

seeing as they explained that there was some sort of overlap between the muggle/wizard world in ww1 one would think the same happens later in ww2 as well and this "There might be war" foreshadowing will actually come to fruition in a sequel that's set in the 40s.

>You're now picturing goblins in wizard equivalents of concentration camp

I expected bland shit from Redmayne. But Newt is probably tied now with Lupin as my favorite HP character. Newt was actually badass. He could be awkward but he was actually very competent as a wizard and knew how to utilize his beasts well to aid him.

Anyone else pretend he had PTSD the whole time? Made him getting his memory wiped sadder if the only positive he experienced in years was ripped from his memory

A mediocre character in a medicore movie surrounded by even worse written characters

Right. Her eating the hot dog was cute as fuck.

Well what do you mean mates?

I mean yeah the final movie is going to be WWII heavy with Dumbledore and Grindelwald's duel being the finale. I think the concentration camp imagery we get will be light and most of the human rights stuff will be focused on Grindelwald's prison fortress.

Since Hitler was very interested in the occult J.K. "kike stomper" Rowling might make him a dark wizard. Hell she might even have the goblins in concentration camps.

I really don't want to see any more of Johnny Depp so I hope this isn't the case

Did a Wizard kill the noble Archduke Ferdinand?

this might actually be decent. I just hope they drop the obscuro bullshit entirely and come up with something more imaginative.

I'm pretty much picturing Fantastic Beasts 3: The Most Dangerous Game, where a nazi nomaj "loses his prefix" and wrecks wizards with WOD/Nasuverse-esque majic, decked out in Hugo Boss for the whole film.

>the most dangerous game

>johnny depp
I really hope the sadistic smile at the end wasn't an indication of how he's going to play this character. I would much rather he attempted this charmin gvillain type character instead of generic insane person. I don't remember exactly how it played out in the books, but wasn't this basically his character? Like a dashing rogue but who wanted more power and turned all Magneto?

maybe that's how the wizards got involved

I think it would be pretty organic to have Grindelwald and Hitler be in a secret partnership during the later movies. It actually would be a clever reference to Hitler's fascination with the occult in the same way as Indiana Jones except different. Maybe Hitler's the one that gets Grindelwald the Elder Wand.

The main strength of the movie for me was definitely the charm of the characters, the main four all gave great performances. Jacob's reaction to Newt saying he liked him was very touching. I thought Newt leaving without kissing Tina or anything was pretty appropriate for him and I'm glad they didn't rush that, especially with how little they actually bonded.

The resolution was ass though, everything tied up super easy and no ramifications of what happened at all. While not an amazing villain Graves was very charismatic and the fucking scooby doo reveal of him being Cartoon Bad Guy Johnny Depp kind of sullied it for me. I don't even know why Newt knew to use the revealing spell on him other than that he was obviously a crazy asshole at that point.

>YAKUZA'S COMING!

What did they mean by this?

The shit Graves was saying and doing in the Ministry was very Grindelwald-like

It's magic, they don't have to explain shit.

Him, the mindreader chicks, and the niffler rescued the movie.

remember when Dr. Who had to catch all the pokemons in New York City?

I thought he was a great character. He seemed like a genuinely good person and I cared more about his stupid bakery business succeeding than I did about most of the magic stuff. I almost got a bit misty eyed when he was being obliviated at the end. He and the Occlumens lady stole the whole goddamn movie. I haven't seen Dan Fogler in a whole lot before so I didn't have any sort of opinion on him going in (from what I've been reading on the tubes I guess he triggers a lot of people), but I think he did really well in this role.

>Goldstein
>long nosed creature addicted to money
>men like Kowalski being fucked over by the bank

Was Yates trying to say something?

He was great. And I love movies set in old timey New York City. Top comfy, desu.

He was definitely the most relatable character in the movie. It's odd, because muggles tend to be dicks in these Potter flicks. I went in expecting him to be like a douchey New York tough guy type, but he was pretty much the opposite. Ended up being my favorite character.

>that reading comprehension

>I kinda wish the movie was more about them re-capturing all the creatures instead of the stupid evil kid plot that nobody cared about.

I would have preferred the opposite, but you are right in as much as one or the other would have been better than both.

Left. Right is an annoying ugly cunt.

When you have other sapient beings like goblins and elves it's easy to not be racist towards your own kind

>I don't remember exactly how it played out in the books, but wasn't this basically his character? Like a dashing rogue but who wanted more power and turned all Magneto?

I mean, there wasn't a whole lot of information about him in the books, especially about his early life apart from the fact that he was "friends" with Dumbledore, but yeah, that was basically how it went down. I always took it to be that he and Dumbledore related to one another because they were both gifted and idealistic, but eventually a schism occurred in the same way it did with Gryffindor and Slytherin.

left was just this perfect sexy always superhappy dreamgirl which made her unrealistic to me.

Left is the only valid answer.

Dan Fogler was so fucking warm and charming that I would compare him to John Candy.

Saw it earlier tonight.

I really liked the Salem/abused kids/wizard school shooter plot but this thread is making me feel like I was the only one who did.

I'm kinda wondering where they're going in the next film. Newt can't lose all his creatures again, Jacob is obliviated, Grindelwald is captured and Creedance and his anti-witch orphanage-owner are dead.

R A C I S I S M

It was probably a one-off.

That's a good comparison. I'm not too familiar with Fogler's work, but he was great in this.

I was kinda pissed that Johhny Depp turned up, means Farrell won't be in the next movies.

It would've worked better as a separate movie. Like this movie builds up to it while they look for his escaped beasts. They could've still shown the salem shit, just not make the gay kid the final boss. Also Collin Farrel was the best character and it sucks that he was just a disguise, Depp looks like he'll be trash

here, have a webm /fbatft/

Farrell was actually good in this.He's actually getting better with age, unlike Johnny Depp

Farrell looked sharp as fuck. That haircut.

He did

>numale haircut

He was literally the JarJar binks
he was the key to the whole thing.

You first baldie.