I fucking love Townes Van Zandt

I fucking love Townes Van Zandt.
Im not American and I have no clue about country music.Where do I go next?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=C9C1h71eWHI
youtube.com/watch?v=ws6YwIrN7e4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Gram Parsons is pretty good
John Prine
Lee Hazlewood has lovely arrangements
Guy Clark

alt country is a bit of a meme sometimes but Songs: Ohia (especially The Lioness and Didn't It Rain) is fantastic

Sun Kil Moon

Hank William's discography
Michael Hurley - Armchair Boogie

Willie Nelson - red headed stranger
Johnny Cash of course
Angel Olsen

This but also Johnny Cash. A lot of Johnny Cash.

Out of left field recc: Pat Schneeweis. Also known as Pat The Bunny.

16 horsepower / David Eugene Edward's other projects are some of the best modern country has to offer

Yeah, he's great
Listen to oldies and blues. And Cash

For Songs Ohia, try the Magnolia Electric Company.
Blaze Foleys Live at the Austin Outhouse is good.

Blaze Foley's The Dawg Years
Willie Nelson's Red Headed Stranger
John Prine's s/t
Jackson C Frank

The Devil Makes Three. It's more rockabilly but I saw them a year ago and they were a riot.

STFU

The answer to your question and the answer that Van Zandt would give you to your face if he could is Steve Earle.

Fuck America.
/thread

John Fahey

don't listen to this retard, OP

lol
was a great post though

Aw yeah. I love playing his stuff, but it's too big of a chore to constantly change tunings.
Should buy more guitars.

There's a few decent suggestions in this thread, but if you're expecting them to be anywhere near as good as Townes you're going to be disappointed over and over again.

Townes was simply the best there ever was.

>red headed stranger

Just listened to this based off of your rec. Holy shit, how have I never heard this before? Its great.

This. The closest you can get to him is not listening to country, but dwelling into other stuff, like Cohen, some Waits, Mariee Sioux, C. Frank and others. This is mostly about personal preference, There's many things you can like about Van Zandt, he has many different styles, so I'm mentioning these because they felt most like that one side of Van Zandt I liked.

He's more folk then country. He has nothing in common with actual country artists.

Wrong. Townes capably played country, folk, and blues throughout his entire career.

There's no need for you to project your intellectually weak cultural prejudices (and poor grammar) onto the greatest country artist of all time, so just fuck off and die already.

Oh, just shut the fuck up

I'll prove your original assertion completely false just off the top of my head:

White Freight Liner - country
Tecumseh Valley - folk
My Starter Won't Start (Lightnin' Hopkins cover) - blues

TVZ played all three genres. Your position in the current social milieu being so tenuous that you're scared to admit you like a country artist does nothing to negate facts. Deal with it.

I'm not talking about that, I agree with you. I'm talking about this:
>Wrong
>There's no need for you to project your intellectually weak cultural prejudices
>(and poor grammar)
>so just fuck off and die already.
Also
>'ll prove your original assertion completely false just off the top of my head
>Your position in the current social milieu being so tenuous that you're scared to admit you like a country artist does nothing to negate facts. Deal with it.
Note
>social
>milieu

>stop using three syllable words correctly, it's confusing my pathetic, shriveled brain.

Sturgill Simpson

Townes is more singer/songwriter sadboi than country tbqh, it's why all the cool indie kids like him

Listen to Mickey Newbury. Pretty much every country artist spoke highly of him, including Townes.

youtube.com/watch?v=C9C1h71eWHI

David Allan Coe
Kris Kirstofferson
Merle Haggard
John Prine
Willie Nelson
Gram Parsons/The Flying Burrito Brothers

If you want even older country,

Jimmie Rodgers
Hank Williams
The Carter Family
Porter Wagoner
Merle Travis
Roy Acuff
Ray Price
The Louvin Brothers

Oh and also

youtube.com/watch?v=ws6YwIrN7e4

nigga stop

not him but the definition of milieu is a person's social environment. Saying social milieu is redundant