They should have used new ideas and designs instead of rehashing the first movie

They should have used new ideas and designs instead of rehashing the first movie.
I don't want to see the millennium falcon again, give me something cool and new

They played it safe as fuck.

The phantom menace says hii C:

>I don't want to see the millennium falcon again
nah it's cool dude
that's han's ship and Han is THE cool guys from the star wars series

This applies to every reboot ever.

They use common settings, props, or characters BECAUSE it is a reboot. The audience has an OMG ITS HIM or OH SHIT ITS THAT THING FROM THE FIRST MOVIE when they see say Han Solo in episode 7 or Hogwarts reference in Fantastic Beasts.

The problem with the prequels is that Anakin wasn't likable. he was an annoying shithead
I already know he becomes Dark Helmet, I don't need to see why, it'll probably be because of some stupid fucking "love" reason.

Those call backs are for the parents turning their kids onto their favorite childhood space opera

But the ship designs were cool in Episode I, II and III

He's dead Jim

How did Han's ship end up abandoned on a desert planet?

yeah
the latino is suppose to replace him but eh don't really feel it it's too mister perfect

he was stolen if i remember correctly because of han's debt
but that' kinda dumb since it's not worth much it's an old ship

Phantom Menace has great designs though.

That's why it's a comfy watch.

he blew up the second death star and was promoted to some high military rank wasn't he?

doesnt seem like he would have money problems after that

nor would anyone steal his ship

he was a general of the rebellion.
maybe he had some hard times, but it actually was stolen from him and ended up on some backwater planet.

DIDON YOU RIKE PHANTOMU MENACERU? TOO BAD! HERE A NEWERU HOPPU REMAKE! FUCK U!

Because we're in SOFT REBOOT land.

Han had actual character development in the original movies? FUCK THAT. Back to being a smuggler!

Entire trilogy was about defeating the Empire? FUCK THAT. New Empire that effortlessly takes over the galaxy.

Etc.

I'm watching it right now, they say outright it was stolen from him by Duquesne (sp?) and then it got stolen from that guy by the Irving brothers, and then it got stolen from them by Unkar Plutt (the fat ass alien who runs Rey's junkyard).

I don't think it's particularly unreasonable to assume that Han went back to being a smuggler. Dude is a career criminal, the fact that he fell in with a revolution doesn't mean that he has a place in the post-revolutionary government. I mean you're right that the movie doesn't establish any grounding for the political reality it presents, it just hits the reset button to status quo, that's one way in which the prequels are far superior. But I don't have a problem with Han going back to being a gray area space trucker with Chewie since that's pretty much his calling. What was he gonna do, start working for The Man?

This isn't Episode I/II/III. Jar Jar being a dumbass on the battlefield doesn't actually earn you a life job as a counselor/politician or whatever

Driver is really good in this movie, except for the bit where he punches himself in the chest for a bit. He's really the only actor who shows any emotional range.

what is wrong with A New Hope? it's all fans wanted. they could have taken A New Hope, used cutout faces of the new "actors" and paste them over the old movie and people would have adored it