Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time television series

Here's what we know so far:
- A "major studio" has bought the rights. They are to make a big announcement real soon now.
- This will be a TV series.
- Sony Television held talks with Harriet McDougal (Robert Jordan's widow and chief executor of the Estate) and Red Eagle in 2014.

Here's the text of the original announcement from 28 April 2016 in full:
>Update: Wanted to share with you exciting news about The Wheel of Time. Legal issues have been resolved. The Wheel of Time will become a cutting edge TV series! I couldn’t be more pleased. Look for the official announcement coming soon from a major studio —Harriet

And the last official word from the Jordan Estate, made this fall:
>According to the terms of the contract, we can't say anything more about it.
>The next statement will come from the studio.

Here's what is heavily rumoured but not confirmed:
- The deal is allegedly worth "eight figures" (so therefore $10 million minimum).
- Some well-known Wheel of Time fans may be involved in an advisory capacity on the project.
thewertzone.blogspot.com/2016/11/what-news-on-wheel-of-time-tv-series.html

Other urls found in this thread:

brandonsanderson.com/suvudu-cage-match-how-it-really-went-down/
grrm.livejournal.com/147038.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I don't give an utter shit.

I wish HBO would have made Dune instead of a film company doing it.

HBO is making Westworld, are you enjoying that?

Dune has had more chances than any other SF/F literature. At what point do we assign blame to the source material?

>HBO is making Westworld, are you enjoying that?
Not interested in watching that.

I'd like to see HBO do something similar to say Big Love, Six Feet Under

So what you're saying is you want HBO to adapt WoT

WOT cant be done without a US defense size budget

wtf is this book about? in a few sentences plz xD

tugging braids

I think they can do it on a GoT budget, they just need to cut out a ton of unnecessary content. The only problem is HBO is the only channel that can put up a GoT budget.

smoothing skirts

Nynaeve

here you deserve the full and complete run down.

WoT doesn't have nearly enough mass appeal and way too many battles and way too much magic, using a GoT budget wouldn't cut it and you'd lose profits.

>read first wheel of time of time because of /tv
>almost 1000 pages
>feels like it's written by a literal autist that's never spoken to a human female besides his mom
Makes GRRM look like Shakespeare. Fuck you, /tv.

Fun fact: Robert Jordan has sold more books than George RR Martin despite GRRM having a mainstream hit television series.

If you don't like Robert Jordan or WoT then please die

fucking perfect

i'm actually listening to it on audiobook right now. it's like if fantasy was real life but more boring. not sure if i'll finish the entire series.

Didn't Sanderson fix all this shit when he took over? I've been told to skip all books between 4-10 and just read summaries.

one less audiobook """reader""" benefits the Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time Fan Community.

please stop """reading""" right away

It's YA fantasy, nothing like GoT at all.

I love the books (well some of them before they got tedious) but honestly it would make for a awful & boring TV series.

I can believe this but ...
> citation needed

This. Wheel of Shit is written at a 3rd grade reading level at a target audience of teenagers.

Game of Thrones is serious fantasy for adult audiences, Wheel of Plebs is literally Harry Potter tier garbage.

>Game of Thrones is serious fantasy for adult audiences

Fuck it if it's not on a premium network. Jordan spent a long time making sure female characters were nude and erotically dressed for chapters on end, so network TV would instantly scrub all that, along with the excessive gore.

Protip: it's never happening

Did I mention that Jordan also spend thousands of words describing how large breasts were in Wot? "Ample bosoms" and "deep cleavage" every where you fucking look. From the scullery maid, to the gilf innkeeper, to the fucking queen. Several fucking queens. All massively titted.

twenty something manchildren and womanchildren are not adults.

Did you know he killed over 400 VCs as a helicopter gunner in 'Nam and his exposure to Agent Orange is how he developed the amyloidosis which killed him?

That's badass and tragic, but still, it's not the Wheel of Time without enormous naked breasts and whole villages being minced up by magic.

>Hell, A Song of Ice and Fire by Literary God George RR Martin is quite complex

That's where I caught on. Good one, friend, got a laugh out of me

>nubile Accepted testing for Aes Sedai "clothed in the Light"
>pillow friends
>endless spankings
Just a few things you won't ever see in this series which will never be made

Sure some of the nudity is gratuitous, but the walking naked into Rhuidean for the Wise One test was pretty cool. Also no Graendal mindtrapped/compulsory sex orgies.

I'm not sure the book series can work at all with how many locations we have flip between after the first or second book. The Eye of the World works really well by itself because it's basically the Fellowship of the Ring with all of the same beats but none of the losses. I doubt they'd even be able to get beyond the Shadow Rising, and that would still be like 2-3 seasons.

Most of the problems that Wheel of Time would have as a TV series can be easily solved by removing or combining characters.

The Forsaken, Rand's love interests, the numerous Aes Sedai, can all be condensed down into a manageable number of characters with virtually nothing of value lost.

>it's a Dragon Reborn season
>a friendly female merchant says hello to Rand
>he beheads her and her entire caravan and makes their headless bodies bow down to him
Did I mention that this is never getting a television series no matter what Harriet says?

The Wheel of Time is inherently ridiculous and hilarious because of shit like that, or when scores of men are sliced apart by spinning gateways, but some women gets upset because one of the boys says "blood and blood ashes".

Rand Al'thor grows to become one of the most terrifyingly OP characters in the entire fantasy genre

To be fair, considering that he's slowly getting imprinted on by countless past lives, and he's literally "That guy what has to slap satan down every few generations", that kind of rampant power creep is understandable, but it's hilarious how crazy shit gets

GRRM once wrote a short action scene where Jaime Lannister somehow beats literal Magic Jesus King Arthur in a fight by knocking his shoulder into the guy and throwing him off balance. You could feel the salty MY OC IS BETTER THAN HIM REEEEEEE coming off of the page. There was some huge long-winded speech about how Westeros is so much more dangerous and scary than the Wheel of Time setting and how super dark and mature and morally ambiguous it was

>well-known Wheel of Time fans
royalty

Randland is more safe than Westeros. You have brigands and murderers, sure, and some warfare between nations, but your major arbitration and ultimate police force is maintained by magic users who live two to three times as long as normal humans. It's also why the major cities aren't necessarily full of prostitutes, so far that we can tell, because of Aes Sedai influence and lot of females in charge of various roles. The other difference is a little less noticeable, but Wheel of Time isn't medieval, it's more like late Renaissance and sliding into the age of discovery and enlightenment.

I'm not saying Randland isn't more 'safe' than Westeros, I'm poking fun at how GRRM wrote up a story about how his super awesome characters would totally whoop Rand Al'thor, then jerked off about how gritty and cool his setting is in comparison.

Brandon Sanderson was a much better sport about the whole thing, and just made one huge joke about how ridiculous the entire cage match would have been

Which Sanderson character was fighting? Vin? Kaladin?

Too bad in Randland you are forcibly reincarnated forever and will have to experience Ages where Mesaana sets up darkfriend schools for children where slow learners are punished by death, again and again forever until Ishamael finally wins.

He stepped in for Rand Al'thor, since he wrote the ending of Wheel of Time

brandonsanderson.com/suvudu-cage-match-how-it-really-went-down/

ah, right, jordan is dead, forgot about that

wait, there's someone even more immature than GRRM (or was)?

Jordan have a very obvious fetish for spanking and humiliation
A lot of time he went into rather copious detail about people being put into a pillory and paddled, or how often they were do very degrading chores, or the magic BDSM collars the Seanchan used to control slaves

thats pretty mature imo tbph

if hes dead then whos writing the tv series?

They're going to have to ditch the harem. They just have to. It's completely retarded and no one will buy that shit in real life.

>wheel of time
>8000 pages dedicated to a clock

I bet they will. I'd imagine they'll just stick to Elayne, since she's the most relevant to the story.

Which is a shame because Min is best grill.

>read the WoT series when I was like 14
>thought it was the coolest shit ever
>mfw reading
>mfw all that shit rings a bell

I don't know how to feel m8s.

Just ditch Elayne, Min, and Aviendha and go with RandxEgwene

I'll just be sad that all of the women will be flat and that all of the grandeur will fall flat.

Most of that stuff is true and I still enjoy WoT. You don't have to think something is perfect to enjoy it.

>post same image in all wot threads
>samefag reply to the image you posted in all wot threads
great image buddy but there's no need for this activity

not dragons

As long as they make Egwene not suck.

>sanderson
>fixing anything

I thought he did an alright job ._.

Sanderson did the best he could with the embarrassing shambles that is Wheel of Time.

Jordanfags give him shit, but honestly he was slumming it to even agree to finish the series. They should be grateful. More interesting things happen in the first 100 pages of The Way of Kings than happen in 14 whole books of braid tugging garbage.

>Mega-Satan waking up
>The door to his bedroom is old as fuck and getting worn out
>All his friends are trying to get it open and get him out of bed
>King Arthur gets reincarnated for the billionth time to try and stop him
>Only the last King Arthur royally fucked up, and that' fucking up the current King Arthur
>Thanks to the last King Arthur, magic is almost entirely screwed up
>Current King Arthur has to get all his shit together and not go crazy so he can go fight Mega-Satan

>Sanderson did the best he could
fuck him, he didn't read a single note left by Jordan. And I'm not defending Jordan either, fucking pages and pages talking about the embroidery on curtains and bullshit, who gives a shit. Christ, they both suck.

...holy fuck, that sounds beyond terrible.

Are you people seriously reading this shit? Who reads it? Is it just for kids or something?

No, he started to, but then realized he's a fucking millionaire author and can hire some basement nerds to do it for him and give him the cliff notes instead of wasting his life reading the chicken-scratchings of a dying BDSM enthusiast.

Work smart, not hard.

anime and young adult books are DOGSHIT

Man, you try summarizing fourteen fucking books "in a few sentences plz xD" for some dumbass on Sup Forums

Give the first book a try. It's only eight hundred pages and the first few are solid as shit

>Are you people seriously reading this shit?

You know literally nothing about it except the absolutely terrible summary someone just gave you on Sup Forums and you're ready to judge us all for reading it?

Stop being a ridiculous person.

Only thing that really pissed me off is changing the identity of Demandred just because everybody guessed it early on.

Went way too far with the "Demandred is Anti-Hero Rand" bit, especially with that OC garbage about Demandred going on a parallel quest to unite the Sharans and getting his own OP sa'angreal.

They made him too cushy, as if he was still just misguided about the DO's nature. He started out as Dark LTT in the War of Power, by the end he was just as evil as the rest of the Forsaken and the Demandred we got in AMoL didn't reflect that at all.

If it had been set up or even hinted at in earlier books, I think that twist would have been great.

The problem with it was that, as something Sanderson just kinda cooked up, it came very much out of left field. Conceptually, I think it was one of more interesting things in the book though.

If he thought of it sooner, he probably could have had Jaim start laying the groundwork for it by telling more stories of his Sharan travels.

>boring af: the show

Right, the idea itself is fine on a conceptual level. Demandred going to Shara and turning an entire civilization to the DO through force of personality and using their own prophecies against them is an interesting concept for sure.

The execution however, was juvenile as fuck like a lot of Sanderson's writing.

Disagree that Sanderson's writing is juvenile. Elantris was one of the better debut fantasy novels in the last few decades, and Stormlight Archive and Mistborn are pretty damn enjoyable series.

His attempts at humor suck, though. That's my biggest criticism of him.

My biggest criticism of him is that he's a milquetoast Mormon with no interesting life experience.

All truly great (as in, will be remembered centuries from now) SF/F authors served in the military and killed people, from Tolkien on down. It's a hard truth but it's true.

>HURR U HAF TO KILL PEOPLE TO BE GOOD WRITER

jesus

idk, maybe juvenile isn't the right word.

his writing to me feels like it lacks nuance and real character depth. his works are enjoyable but i don't get that urge to re-read them obsessively.

Hurring aside, in fact, a mormon goody two shoes is never going to have enough interesting life experiences to imbue into his writing to make it great.

Notable Mormon writers are OSC, Sanderson and Twilight Lady.

>reading fantasy

hello reddìt

Let's hear what you read then.

Exclusively Russian realist literature about bitter lives, cold winters, and the death of family members?

If I somewhat enjoyed the ASOIAF novels will I enjoy this series? Not the show, the show sucks ass. Looking for a new book series to start.

Probably not. The first three books are decent, but not all like ASOIAF, both series do different things. WOT starts turning to shit around book 5, once you begin losing interest just read summaries of the following books until Sanderson takes over.

being super religious is an experience that is interesting in itself, because so few are these days. I love sci fi with some crazy mormon inspired shit in it.

>Literary God

Twenty somethings with degrees in gender studies.

Read the salt

grrm.livejournal.com/147038.html

For the love of god don't skip 4 5 or 6. The bloodbath in 6 alone is worth the whole series. Same with 12

So it's the matrix with swords.

delete this!

the series is redeemed by the final 4 books, which the author of this review has certainly not read, since the last book mentioned is CoT (10 out of 14)

top kek

It was more well written than I expected

eh, it works if Rand changes girls every few season... though what happens in book 9 makes no sense.

The Aiel have their tradition of having multiple spouses, if they explain it enough it might just be tolerable on tv screen. Some modern day religions like Islam have thing for multiple waifus.

what the fuck

considering Rand can weave hundreds of weaves simultaneously, can wield enough balefire unaided to melt down at least houses if not entire arenas, he can also bend reality by his sheer will

easiest way to win might have been to give a minor electric shock in each enemy's heart or brain, enough to make them have a heartattack or seizure
or heck, tie them with air in place and knock them out with a punch of air

Can't wait to skip all the Faile scenes and the entire Perrin must save his waifu plotline.

honestly though, that plot would be less than 100 pages or could be summed into 5-10 chapters, if they want to remove all the random shit and inner monologues of pain and sadness

those books are annoying mostly because not much else is happening. if Rand was doing a lot of cool stuff meanwhile, no one would care about 5-10 Perrin chapters in books 8-12.

the entire Shaido subplot is just bad filler, a minor thorn stuck at the foot

if done well, books 8-11 could be merged into one season of television, with some stuff from 7 and 12 included maybe

a good way to do it would be maybe to have 40-50 episodes that make the entire series; of those ~5 would have to do with Perrin/Faile shit in books 8-11

>it gets good ten books in

I like all books, even book 10

some people have less patience to wait until the main chars mature 6-11 books into the series, I love WoT for its complex world and political scheming.
ofc all the main chars have flaws, perfect people would make very boring stories

>Sony
that logo shouts Disney, though

wait, this happens? isn't Rand the good guy?

>muh goodies and baddies

Also Rand was losing it because of his use of the one power not to mention had another personality of a madman in his head.

Let's not forget when he starts raining fire and lightning from the sky on his enemies and allies alike and someone had to punch him the fuck out