How did a bunch of weird late teens doing hardcore punk music do what middle age technical prog metal guys couldn't do?

How did a bunch of weird late teens doing hardcore punk music do what middle age technical prog metal guys couldn't do?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JoxXKKQYJYQ
papam.bandcamp.com/album/the-first-shall-be-last
youtube.com/watch?v=6D0ql89Q8Po&t=
youtube.com/watch?v=GsRpS6XGiOs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>liking Flint
mama mia!

what do you mean, make good music with complex time signatures?

idk but the drummer is the best part of Slint so that might have something to do with it

>idk but the drummer is the best part of Slint so that might have something to do with it
this, britt is an evil genius who we will never truly understand, either that or just blind luck

But he's a Mouth Breather (according to Steve Albini)

youtube.com/watch?v=JoxXKKQYJYQ

but he's a nice guy

Britt Walford fascinates me. Total killer on the drums, but watching Breadcrumb Trail and other interviews with them made me think he's, like, not all there

>“[…] Fairly early in the occupation, [Britt] locked himself out, so he kicked the front door in and then nailed the front door shut with a two by four and he would do all this coming-and-going through a window in the attic.”

yeah dude has to be some sort of savant

>pic related
jesus christ
watching it i kept thinking hes definitely on the spectrum

Didn't Britt also show up at Steve's house with a shotgun while only dressed in boxers, as a prank? This was right before they started working on Tweez

King Crimson did everything they did but better and decades before them

It's mostly Britt having the right people around him, like David and Brian.

assuming this is true, jesus, no wonder ethan and steve ditched after tweez

Yeah I read in the 33 1/3 that David was formally trained.

Steve wanted to produce spiderland, but they didn't choose him

Steve wanted to work with them and they didn't want to work with him; Ethan was unsatisfied with the Tweez results, believing Steve wasn't a good fit and that the album was overproduced. The others also kinda believed Tweez wasn't produced in the correct way for the band's sound.
Another thing is Brian and how he just fed Britt's creativity. It's one of those cases where it's not even skill like David, it's straight up a lot of history.

>slint
>hardcore

yeah and

look at this idiot everyone

please show me where the hardcore influences are in slint's discography I can't find them

weeee

Slint comes from the hardcore scene of Louisville, actually.

how about in the entire scene they helped establish in their hometown

look up the bands Squirrel Bait and Maurice

ok check this out

britt went on the be in the breeders, kim deal's band

kim deal was in the pixies

kurt cobain cited pixies as an influence and he was in a hardcore band called nirvana

>nirvana
>hardcore

you guys are funny

papam.bandcamp.com/album/the-first-shall-be-last
youtube.com/watch?v=6D0ql89Q8Po&t=

>implying grunge isn't just post hardcore

reminder that steve albini writing a perfect review of spiderland is probably the only reason it survived and remains a classic cause critics don't give a shit about kentucky

just another thing to be thankful of steve for

why does the music community hate the south?

Touch and Go has a pretty loyal fanbase. It would've been rediscovered at some point.

too many important bands and albums have come out of Georgia alone for that to be very true

What's that exactly? Put me into a diabetic coma?

that's true but it'd be niche like no trend or something like that

what did you like eat a shit ton of donuts to spiderland or something

They have more character and heart than them, you can't acquire that you have it or you don't

david pajo is great

shame his solo stuff is all so hard to find

if you have the time watch this
youtube.com/watch?v=GsRpS6XGiOs