Got to see a sci fi flick

>Got to see a sci fi flick
>Get romantic drama instead

I need to stop going into movies blind. This is my fault more than anything.

Are there any movies made in the last decade that don't have a romantic subplot? Even the TDK movies have them.

>go see sci fi flick
>turns out its sci fi kino

Let me amend my statement

Are there any AMERICAN movies that don't do that

It's pretty much HollyJew Rule #1 to have a romance/love interest in any mainstream movie if you want that movie financed and produced. It's been like that for many decades.

>that poster
holy shit i could do better

>subplot
Maybe you were being more broad in your assessment but speaking specifically about arrival, what does it tell you about the topic of your flick when you
>Start on a woman reminiscing about family
>End on a woman reminiscing about family
>The big reveal is about the woman's family
>At the end, the viewer has learned much about the woman's family, and little about the aliens

Aliens were the subplot. They were there to give a setting to a romantic drama about two scientists who get married, have a child, and get divorced.

You look at the narrative arcs and it's very clear.

I just watched Moana. Gorgeous animation, really catchy songs, and zero love interest. Go see it if you're not too cynical yet.

So, she knows her future. And she somehow does everything the same way? Is she not in control of her body? Surely not, then why would she go ahead and make a baby that she knows will die? Furthermore, what happens if she just decides not to make the baby? What happens to this "future" she knows? What I'm trying to say is, it just does not make any sense in any way, No matter how you think about it. Time as we know is fucking linear, and it's stupid to make movies about how it would be if it was not linear, because we have no fucking idea how it would be, how things would work if it was indeed not linear. If time was not linear, moments would not come after one another, so We don't even know how one would "experience" life. Yet, they somehow make movies about a concept (which likely does not exist at all) that we can't even begin understand, and some fuckfaces buy it.

Yeah that's the point of the movie

The reason her husband divorces her is because she told him she knew the future and that her child would die. He told her she "made the wrong choice". Didn't pick up on that?

Like most plots based around time it falls apart if you over analyze the details too much. The point is that there's no start or end to her. The fact that she knows her baby will die doesn't change the fact that she will always be with her in her nonlinear experience of time. That's why her husband was so butthurt and she wasn't.

The thing is, I was not even over analyzing it. I saw through its bullshit while watching the movie, and it took me right out of it, made it impossible for me to enjoy it.

Do you enjoy any fucking movie then? Just watch it and enjoy it.

Hey. Abbot and Costello were an adorable couple.

Movie is nothing but pure unfiltered SJW liberal propaganda

>MUH POWER OF KNOWLEDGE
>MUH WE HAVE TO ACCEPT DIFFERENT BREEDS
>MUH WOMAN WHO BRINGS IN UNDERSTANDING

It's LITERALLY a movie about Shillary/Merkel who undertstands "visitors" and want to communicate with them even if they are a massive threat. Must be a new genre, cuckino

Sure? I can enjoy movies that are not based entirely on nonsense.

does rape count as a romantic subplot?

>Hey guys I was too stupid to understand this movie, let me write a fucking brick of text for you.

>knowledge is sjw propaganda
>women being competent is sjw propaganda

t.CTR

I think im going to just copy this so i can paste it for the retards like you in the future arrival threads:
Once you learn the language you experience time continuously, not linearly. Imagine your life as a movie that you're watching and you can flip from scene to scene. The movie has already been shot, youre just experiencing it moment by moment. Her daughter was already born and already died, theres no changing that. The movie is about fate; everything in your life is predetermined and you should still learn to love your life and every moment in it.

do you even know what ctr is? go to bed

>you're just experiencing it moment by moment

Your movie analogy is bullshit, because unlike watching a movie, you are in control of your life as you live it. In a movie you can't change anything, so it makes sense that all of it is there. For what you say to make sense, we should be unable to control anything, like trapped in our bodies, which is not true.

that is the exact concept the movie (short story the movie is based off of) explores. its called amor fati, and it means loving fate. you essentially are along for the ride. you can choose to believe that in real life or not, but in the movie there is no free will

I'm not talking about believing it or not. I'm telling you that it doesn't make sense in this concept. Do you get it? It does not matter what it is in real life, but it should make sense in the movie itself, and it does not.

>have omnipotent perception of time
>didn't tap into the future to find a cure for her own kid
>lel I can just accept muh fate and experience my time with my kid in a non linear time fashion because I'm selfish and retarded

And what about other people who came to understand the hectapod language?! Do we have an army of timenauts now?

It was literally just a chick flick you fucking cuck, Sup Forums has taken over your brain. No SJW film would be about a woman marrying a white, straight man, and it definitely would not end on something as classic romance as "I forgot how good it felt to be held by you". Try to explain away how that is some bold statement about empowerment - it's not. Hell, even the most important revelation of the movie was the time thing, which was made by the physicist. 90% of the film was MUH DAUGHTER.

If this movie was pandering to anyone, it was the Chinese. You expect Shang to be the classic generalissimo villain type, but he's this nice understanding Chinese grandpa who gives Louise the key.

you only gain the ability to perceive time not change it. life is already decided. for example, she doesnt choose to have her daughter despite knowing that she dies young. she gets to experience a part in her timeline where her daughter is alive, and dying, and dead. there is no "present" you. you are all "yous" at all points of your life, all at once.

They say twice in the movie that her daughter's disease is rare and incurable. Presumably since the language only lets you tap into your own memories from any time, she can't go get a cure from the future beyond her own lifespan.

As for the last question, the movie obviously wasn't about language, science, aliens, or anything like that. You're falling for the marketing and advertising around the movie.

The flick was not about any of those things. That was just the setting for a women's drama flick. The fact that you DON'T get answers for those questions should be your most obvious clue about what narrative arc was supposed to be portrayed. The movie starts and ends on family imagery and memories.

They advertised this movie totally wrong because it wasn't sci fi at all. It was romance in a sci fi setting.

That's not necessarily true. She implies things can be changed but she chooses to accept the world as it is without changing it.

Also, there's the whole paradox with Shang giving her his number at the party that can only happen if she was successful. This does seem to imply some kind of degree of backwards changing and time seems to correct itself.

>romantic
There was nothing romantic in the movie, except the forced 10 minutes at the end.

Zootopia doesn't, unless you read a teasing I-love-you in the last minute of the film as romantic rather than familiar, and even then at the most that's one line at the very end.

>she gets to experience a part in her timeline where her daughter is alive, and dying, and dead. there is no "present" you.

What does experience mean? Think of yourself now. You are experiencing your life. You can lift your arm, you can do what you want to do(regardless of it being in fact a free choice). You can control your movements and stuff. Right? Now, think about her experiencing these parts of her life. What is she actually doing, if not controlling herself? What does experiencing mean?

This desu. Zootopia also is the MOTY for me. It's really really good.

we experience time linearly, meaning there is a "present" you. since this is the present you feel as though you're creating everything that is happening as it happens. however to the aliens every part of your life is laid out in front of you like the scenes of a movie, birth to death and you can "view" all parts.
you can experience your past through memory but you cant change it. imagine you could experience or "remember" all parts of your life, birth to death in the same way.

>aliens do not understand mathematics, the fundamental language of the universe
Dropped right there

Every fucking time OP, i'm so tired of this shit where every movie/shows settings is just an excuse to make romantic soap opera drama shit.

It's kind of weird that one of Bateman's best roles doesn't actually involve real acting, just voice acting.

But then again, Tom Hanks in Toy Story...

They do but only in really weird ways. They said they don't get algebra but for some reason they're able to do much higher level math like sequences (a form of calculus).

I thought it was kind of novel, in the way that they couldn't understand why the aliens picked their locations.

I dont remember her implying she can change anything?
there is the paradox with the general but it can be explained by saying the general learns in the language in the future as a result of her being successful. its like a time travel loop, even though it isnt time travel

They don't adequately explain nor explore the implications of the lack of free will.

For instance, it never explains why the fuck she can't change things that are 'fated' to happen. "It's fate" is not an explanation. It's the lack of one. Why can't she decide not to have a baby using information she gained about the future? How is the future not changeable? What would happen if she decided not to have a baby? Would 'fate' conspire to impregnate her one way or another? Is she not in control of herself, and if so, why not and what is?

Carelessly robbing the main character of any agency is a shitty way to tell a story.

Dude, just stop... It really does not make sense, stop being delusional...

When she asks her future husband if he would change anything about his life, this is implying she can change things. From a narrative standpoint, there's no reason to ask this question if she can't change things. If she can only see memories but not act on them, she should ask a different question like, "Do you ever feel our understanding is limited by a linear perspective?"

Then remember, the reason she gets divorced from her husband is she reveals to him she knew their baby would die, but she chose to have a baby with him anyway. "You made the wrong choice."

You're watching it like a sci fi but it's not, that's just the setting. It was a total bait and switch, you got tricked.

There is no emphasis on the science at any point. Even the cute kangaroo anecdote is immediately pointed out as fake and you get one brief statement about semiotics in the whole flick.

The reason the flick doesn't explore the science or its implications, or even provide you with answers about happens to the world or aliens is because that was just the setting. It didn't matter to the narrative arc which was always about Louise and her family.

What sucks is that they billed it entirely wrong. They tried to sell the movie as a sci fi flick so they got the wrong audience and all these misreadings. You have people like yourself and OP who go to the movie expecting sci fi and it's just "romantic drama with aliens".

think of it this way; there is no "her" once she learns the language. she can see and live all parts of her life all at once, including the birth and death of her daughter, because they already happened/are happening/will happen.

yes it creates more questions about exactly how little free will the characters have.
i know that the author of the short story the movie is based off wanted to explore Amor Fati, which explores an idea that humans have no free will and it should be accepted to the extent that we love every moment of our lives even though every moment is predetermined

Are you me, user? My post: You are right, this movie is bullshit. I don't know how people are so stupid as to not see through its bullshit.

>Why can't she decide not to have a baby using information she gained about the future? How is the future not changeable?
she could. she decided she still wanted the child even though it would die early.

that was pretty obvious. you retarded?

She sees her future, she likes her future, she does not aspire to change her future. Whether or not her future is changeable is a moot point because it's a positive feedback loop.

I think that's interesting and I don't want to downplay the insightfulness of your point, but whenever somebody talks about what the author intended with their short story, I always point to the flick The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

Suffice to say, adapting directors are not afraid to completely miss the point of the original work to tell a different story with the same characters and setting.

Can you explain to me what would happen if she decided not to have the baby?

Same thing that would happen if she didn't meet General Shang at the party, time paradox

she would have never seen a baby and there wouldve been no decision to not have a baby

That answers literally nothing of what I just asked. Does she lack any ability or agency to make decisions? Does the whole world lack that basic ability? Are we not free-thinking agents, and if so, what does that mean about our lives, our freedom of thought? Why does any of the main characters' actions or decisions matter? Why does it matter what growth or change they go through?

Evoking a concept and then not thoroughly discussing its various aspects is not "exploring" it. And refusing to answer basic questions doesn't make your movie intelligent or clever, just vague. And, finally, "it's all explained in the book!" is just as horseshit as ever.

From that moment she would be experiencing a diffrent future.

She can't. She is unable to make that or any other decision. All of the future and history are already predetermined and what she does, says, or how she decides or acts is utterly irrelevant. Therefore, she is utterly incapable of growing or changing as a person outside of what has already been predetermined - and thus, there is no real reason to be invested in her as a character.

> Are we not free-thinking agents, and if so, what does that mean about our lives, our freedom of thought?
exactly the theme the writer wanted to explore. in the reality of the movie, there is no free will and everything is predetermined. I guess the decisions dont matter, its more about experiencing your life.

I don't say its all explored in the short story, but it does give insight to what was intended. As I said above its Amor Fati, love of fate. You see your fate but you should learn to love it, and essentially thats what the main character does.

Say it with me, class.

"It's fate"

Does

Not

Explain

Anything.

Read the fucking Dune, you assholes.

That's not a decision she would ever make. She is incapable of making that decision from an emotional standpoint. She has seen the daughter that she has and she loves her enough that she is willing to do whatever it takes to get her. This character would NEVER EVER thank "I don't want that life" because she has seen that life and she loves that life. She wants that life. Nothing would inspire her to change that life. She loves it so she does not change it so she gets to experience it. That's her character.

To ask "well what if she didn't want the baby?" is like akin to question why your chocolate ice cream isn't cookie dough. They are different things.

what is still confusing you? thats message the movie explores.
If you could see your future and know what happens would you be able to be happy?

So what if someone did see something they didn't like?

Fuck, it's not like having the baby is the only decision she will ever make in her life. Does she now basically have some kind of superpower? What if she just, I don't know, buys a house that ends up with termites? Can she stop from making any bad decision in her life - anything from a bad omelette to a fatal mistake?

IT thinks nothing of any of these questions.

I can't believe people actually think this movie makes sense in any way. You guys are fucking hopeless.

That's what most of the thread is agreeing on. At least read the thread first you fucking retard.

If she's seen something she doesn't like then she's failed to avoid it. Whether it be a simple failure or some self fulfilling prophecy tier nightmare. Like telling her husband that their daughter is going to die and him leaving them. It wasn't something she could stomach not doing, so it always happens.

>It happens because it happens
So I see circular logic comes with circular time.

It happens because it's in their character.

You didn't post because you posted. You posted because you want to reply to me. If you had the heptapods language you would always make that response because it's what you are compelled to do.

Who or what is compelling me? Why? Now what if I saw that, in the future, you reply to me over and over again but fail to actually make the nonsensical science of this movie any clearer, and instead decide to just go play one of the games I bought in the Steam autumn sale instead?

Why can I not act on the information gleaned from knowledge of the future? And please, if your answer is "because you can't" or "because it's fate" don't even bother replying.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Did you miss the romantic subplot between Finn and Poe?

>Who or what is compelling me?

I can't say. Only you know the answer to that, my friend. It's apart of you and your thought process. It's not that you simply don't have free will, it's that you've made your decision. And you'll always make that decision because the parameters never change.

If you went to play a steam game you'd never seen our reply chain. If you saw this reply chain through then you'd never play the steam game. The information you want to act on isn't the information you're collecting. If it doesn't happen in your future, you never experience your future, and you never collect that information.

Heavily implied but we never see them fucking

>because the parameters never change.
But the parameters do change. Foreknowledge changes the context. If we can't have this foreknowledge, then time isn't a circle, and the movie's science is fucking retarded. Which, I suppose, I already knew.

Disney's too spineless to show a gay relationship. Consider theirs sorta like a hetero couple during the time of the hays code. They only suggest it because people will protest if they show more. Finn and Poe fucked when they got back to the rebel base, and Rey is gonna have a ormance subplot with Kylo.

You get romantic subplots because the focus test group always gives positive feedback to it.

>showing a gay relationship is now a sign of bravery

lol, please notice me Disney! almost as dumb as those people petitioning Disney to make a gay character to honor the memory of one of the nightclub shooting victims because he liked Star Wars, like fuck off.

I sincerely hope that all of the "WHY DIDN'T SHE JUST NOT HAVE A BABY" posts here are just an attempt to shitpost and bait everyone.

You guys aren't that degenerate right?

It's not 'brave' in the sense that it pleases SJWs, as I couldn't give a fuck about that.

I say they're too spineless to do so because most of their money comes from easily triggered conservative families who might refuse to take their kids to see disney movies if they think the movies will give their kids a case of the gay.

>I say they're too spineless to do so because most of their money comes from easily triggered conservative families who might refuse to take their kids to see disney movies if they think the movies will give their kids a case of the gay.

Yeah clearly it's Disney and ONLY Disney that does this, you're right, they should shoehorn in some gay characters and do the first onscreen felching.

I don't recall saying anything about "ONLY" Disney. Try reading posts before replying to them.

>shoehorn in
Finn and Poe have more natural chemistry than Finn and Rey. Finn and Poe should have their bromance on the side while Rey falls for Kylo Ren instead, falls to the dark side by childishly lashing out at him, and causes Kylo to ironically have to try to save her.