letterboxd.com/plebiann

So what do you think about Korine?

Bring It On

youtu.be/9UMX4dGRYEw?t=1m17s

I would argue that every single film is art
A lot of it is commercially produced, bad art, but art nonetheless

What's Resnais best film?

Not Je t'aime Je t'aime

I did not like Mister Lonely, which was the last Korine I saw.

Hiroshima non amour

>QOTD: what are the best movie scenes involving teeth brushing

this one

So Is This and Archangel were pretty funny. Story of My Death probably demands multiple viewings I can't be bothered to give it right now. Grave was pretty sad. Getting kinda bored with the Ghibli flicks though.

Could someone actually give me a real definition of what vulgar auteurism is about? Like an actual semi-academic response. Or is it really just a meme?

I know part of it comes from reappraising Mann and Bay but what's the actual definitions and conditions of the movement? Is there a specific emphasis on digital filmmaking?

letterboxd.com/machill54/

tfw maybe no movies for an entire week

it's very much predicated on digital filmmaking and references to use of "space" specifically during action sequences (why directors like Mann and PWSA are praised).

no

vulgar autists are about finding artistic value in films that would generally not be considered artistic. that's the simplest and most straightforward way to describe it. if you want something more in-depth, go read one of the many, many articles that have been written about it.

Interesting, I had an inkling of that already but I'll dig a little deeper.

I'm doing that as well, don't worry, but I'm finding a lot of them don't have much meat on the bones as it were. But I'm looking.

thanks

>Writing in his SundanceNow column following the publication of Marsh's article, Pinkerton described vulgar auteurism as "a shameless attention grab",[17] adding: "Even more galling is the assumed attitude that the VA position stands alone against a vast, unsympathetic critical conspiracy to marginalize and underrate the products of industrial filmmaking. [...] The numbers, meanwhile, do not bear out claims of a highbrow conspiracy: Fast & Furious 6, which we’re assured is scorned by critics the world over, currently stands at 61% at Metacritic, above The Great Gatsby (54%), and within striking distance of arty jazz like Simon Killer and Post Tenebras Lux."

Any good romance film?

any Wong Kar-wai flick

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg

there are lots

is there a list?

there are lots of lists

here's a good one

what did he mean by this?

letterboxd.com/Synt/

Weekend plans people?

Thanks for the pointers on vulgar auteur theory, it's very interesting. What do people think of it?

Would anyone here be interested in meeting the papa in real-life?

i agree with the idea behind it (the production of a film shouldn't determine its artistic merit and you can find art anywhere) but in my opinion many who subscribe to VA take it too far and praise terrible films for ridiculous reasons.

Would you describe the whole bodies moving in space, kinetic energy in action sequences etc. stuff as being part of those ridiculous reasons?

>two stars to arrival
wtf I hate synt now

no, i'm talking about when they praise the Resident Evil films as absurdist meta-satire of action films and tech culture. sure, you can read it that way, but i guarantee no one involved in the production of the film had that in mind, and it always comes off as reaching.

>liking Arrival
it's 5/10 at best. prologue was great, though.

What is it that you love about Viy so much? I found it moderately entertaining and pretty good for what I think were grad students or very recent film grads at the time, and of course the (young) witch was a qt, and Gogol is the man, but beyond that, idk. I'd personally put several hundred movies in front of that. Wondering what it does for you.

That's two stars too much for that trash

It was really close to being a 3, but it's just hampered by being way too stale. Like every year there's two pop film types that seem to come out: the Marvel-esque comedy escapism crap and then the post-Nolan poe faced, takes itself too seriously film.

Arrival was, for me anyway, a shining example of the latter type of film, where it tries to put on a grey-blue "real" sci fi aesthetic that handles things in a way that would suggest it's grounded and smart. But sadly it isn't actually either of those things. And then it was full of just daft screenwriting cliches, like the script had generic stock lines and scenes that they made a note to revise later and then forgot about.

What did you like about it? Genuinely curious!

Ah okay, yeah this is where my relationship with the VA thing becomes difficult because I'd love to think that were the case of RE, but I just know it's not. However, I would describe something like, say Blackhat, of actually possessing a subtext closer to the example you just made.

I've tried to explain a couple times but I can't 100% articulate why I like it so much. First, all of your points are spot on, and those were aspects of the film that meant a lot to me.

I also have this fondness of simplistic, almost fairy tale structure done well. So simple plots that are A-Z, possible repetition etc. I don't know why I go for that so much, it's just a small personal enjoyment. the reason why it's on there is because it represents that weird aspect of my interest in film rather than being a GOAT film. It's my least favourite of the 4.

>I'd love to think that were the case of RE, but I just know it's not.
same. i actually rather like PWSA as a director, but none of the things that i like about him are evident in the RE franchise. you're correct about Blackhat, though i don't think Mann should be associated with the VA "movement", considering how evident it is in his filmmaking that he actually is reaching for more significance than the average action director.

No problem, don't always have to have a concrete reason. Favorites are just favorites, they don't have to be the best films you've ever seen. Have a witch for your efforts.

Late witch.

Interesting you say that, Mann has always appeared to be one of the noted VA directors when I hear it talked about. I may have even heard of the initial movement through him.

I think this exchange demonstrates one of the key issues with VAism that I found during my reading, which is that it has no central literature or starting point. There's no Une certaine tendance du cinéma Français style essay to anchor the movement. Hence its sort of this nebulous term, or at least, its not widespread enough to have concrete conditions.

Yeah man, it's a weirdo movie but it's a good time. And that final sequence is great.

by my definition, Mann is not VA because there is no "reevaluation" necessary in examining his work.there very clearly defined thematic and visual elements which are consistently prevalent throughout every single film he's made, from Thief to Blackhat. the only outlier is, arguably, The Keep, and that can hardly be said to be a Michael Mann film after how heavily it was cut and edited by the studio without his involvement.

The keep still got a Mann atmosphere, imo, maybe even more than Last of the Mohicans.

definitely more so than The Last of the Mohicans. that film is so impersonal. could've been made by anyone.

fuck the papa

So would any of you recommend Arrival?

>tfw get to see The Turin Horse in the cinema tomorrow

enjoy your nap

it's worth a watch for the strength of the protagonist's character arc, but the main plot is very poorly handled. this contrast makes it incredibly frustrating to watch. wait for a torrent.

Are you OK???

oh well, I see it gets praised a lot here and I've been in the mood for an ayylien film for a while.
?

You started logging while you never used it before.

>hardly be said to be a Michael Mann film after how heavily it was cut and edited by the studio without his involvement.

This isn't really true. It is his cut, he just wasn't given the money he needed to film the ending he wanted.

i was under the impression that Mann's final cut of the film was over three hours, and that Paramount forced him to cut it to two, then cut it to its final length without his approval.

oh, just doing it so I don't get bored with the site :/
also, who are u

I'm your greatest fan!

It's not your typical alien film in any way whatsoever.

recommend me a film
recommend me a good alien film pls

t. dumb and boring person

It seems to me that this three-hour cut that everyone talks about was most likely the initial assembly cut and never intended to be the final release cut. Who knows?

regardless, the released cut is a solid 24 minutes shorter than Mann's second cut.

fuck you I'm bored not boring

See from the reading I've been doing I've got a sense that VAism extends beyond reevaluation and reappraisal into a much more aesthetic territory, which is where I think the emphasis on digital filmmaking comes into it. Not just any director can be considered VA, there's some sort of importance in shot composition, editing etc. that makes them stand out, hence why Mann is said to be one of them despite having, on the most part, a fairly inoffensive filmography.

>like the script had generic stock lines and scenes that they made a note to revise later and then forgot about.

when he said 'the most amazing thing wasn't meeting them...,,,. It was meeting YOU!' I got extremely angry

and again we've reached the central problem with vulgar auteurism that you touched on earlier, and the reason i used quotations when i referred to it as a movement earlier. it has no real criteria or definition. referring to a director as "VA" is practically meaningless.

The naked island might be your thing.

Did you watch Adieu Philippine yet ?

Yeah man. The one that sticks out to me, and it's so small and I sound like a fool for getting worked up about it, but it's in that scene where Adams meets Renner in the helicopter for the first time, and he introduces himself by quoting something she'd published. I think the scene even had a line like "You ought to know - you wrote it!". not good.

Damn, put down. I like the idea of it though and I'm gonna try and look into it more, but currently I'm not 100% convinced of its integrity. Will keep an open mind though.

I'll watch that tomorrow, thanks!

I still haven't watched Adieu Philippine, I don't know why, I have it on my computer (for a while now) so I'll check it out this week I think, then I'll watch Du coté d’Orouet

I'm watching Confession (1937) today before I go out.

What do you recommend or like about Rozier's work?
also i havent seen you in the 3x3 threads

I haven't had much time recently so I spent less time here.

Rozier's filmography is rather short, so you can watch all of it, he's made 6 movies but one isn't available and one is a documentary for tv, so that leaves 4 personal movies, I'll rec all the 4.

I'll leave it to you to discover it, but I like how free his scenarios are.

I got memed, haven't I?

yeah, was really hoping and expecting to like arrival, but instead it was bad.
wish I hadn't dragged gf along, she wouldn't have liked it even if it was good

How so? Did you watch it and didn't get it or just downloaded and now got to wonder if the praise is real?

Anyway, it's a great film,but a bit overrated for being woman-directed and ideologically feminist

I enjoyed it. I just expected something far better from all the hype.

How better though? It's hyped as an epic 3-hour slow demonstration and deconstruction of a domestic woman's life and I must say it delivers exactly that.
I had higher ratings planned for it, but it's the classic hype game, which is my fault not the film's.

I finally saw a movie that I didn't hate

Le Mépris by Godard

Well when it's presented as the best movie made by a woman, I couldn't help but to have high expectations for it, but you're right, it's not the movie's fault. It was good, did a very good job of demonstrating the alienating life of a housewife.

PUNQ already watched and reviewed seven feature films today. How about you?

REMINDER TO NOT BELIEVE ON PUNQ'S LIES

The best film made by a woman( not that I appreciate the distinction, treat them just as directors) is by far Sedmikrásky, which is an absolute masterpiece

letterboxd.com/OriginalName3/

thanks

PUNQ is not a human being

Tokyo Drifter is one of the best action flicks

hardly better use of color anywhere else in the genre

Greatest film of all time.

:^O

I went out and enjoyed the day with people.

pleb

t. embryo

if anything its underrated*- I'd say it's runtime is more overhyped than being directed by a women (how many great films by women are overlooked for the like 5 people choose to elevate?)
*/under-read, like (mostly guys) focus so much on the orgasm on the second day confirmed by Akerman in interviews that they think it "solves" the film and ignores all the other stuff going on

This is the correct opinion.

ive seen all cz new wave famous films, daisies sucks

t. embryo

Also, probably lying

Daisies rules, but I wouldn't say it's the peak of (women's) filmmaking, not that it's in anyway useful to think of movies in that way

yeah, the czech new wave is so obscure xD
the peak of women's filmmaking is The Ascent

embryo-tier interjection

It isn't '''obscure''', nor was that the point. ( Still very few people actually had contact with it in whatever comparison.)
And if someone can't recognize an obvious masterpiece and even have the gall to say it sucks, then they are inescapably an embryo, like you.

actual peak of female filmmaking reporting in
only brainlets will disagree

>her best film- the only one relevant too- was actually directed by a man
:)

>the only one relevant too

>hasn't seen at land