Best record players?

Want to get a turn table for gf for Christmas/birthday. Want something good quality, under $500. What brand and model should i go for? whats a scam and what is good? Also she isn't a DJ, so no need for scratching

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Pro-Ject-Debut-Carbon-Piano-Black/dp/B00IIMXATU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1512294477&sr=8-3&keywords=pro-ject debut carbon
uturnaudio.com/products/orbit-basic-turntable?variant=33393451530
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If its not a Sharp RP-117 then it is literal shit

Yea just looking for the standard style

Pro-Ject - Debut Carbon is the best you'll find under $500. I have one and it sounds amazing.

amazon.com/Pro-Ject-Debut-Carbon-Piano-Black/dp/B00IIMXATU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1512294477&sr=8-3&keywords=pro-ject debut carbon

Yolo

what's the best turntable, speaker, amp combo. and record of your choice

>record of your choice
Anything with a locked groove. If it's not a locked groove on a Sharp RP-117 then it is literal fucking shit.

im looking to buy one aswell.
is this an alright choice for a first? uturnaudio.com/products/orbit-basic-turntable?variant=33393451530

Yeah, U-Turn is supposed to be really good for a budget table.

alright thanks man, ill probably end up buying it. looks really nice aswell

Don't buy a fucking Crosley (pic related) ever. Yes the suitcase is neat and practical, but it'll kill your records because:
1) It has a cermaic cartidge which is heavy and tracks with a powerful tracking force. What this means is the needle sits and pushes into the groove very firmly which can and eventually will grind away the music.

2) The Tone Arm (the long part that connects the needle to the record player) is shoddily made and will skip, jump, and grind up your record like no man's business but its.

3) The dynamic range on its cheapo speakers is for shit. No bass, fuzzy surface noise, higher stuff sounds shrill, and it doesn't go up very high for volume.

4) The platter is only big enough to seat a 45 rpm 7 inch record. That's all well and good if that's all you listen to, but for 12 inches they rest beyond the platter and with heavy tracking force in mind you could risk warping the record.

5) The whole thing is made of cheap plastic and it's a crappy, uneven belt drive. Sometimes records don't play at the right speed and pitch control is for shit as well.

Do not buy them. They're cheap and cute but like a two bit whore they're all they're good for.
Get an AT-LP120, get shit by U-Turn, Denon, Sony, or go vintage with Technics, Akai, and so on. However, don't get any belt drives from the 80s, they suck. Most importantly, get something with a counterweight, they help keep the tracking down and make it last longer.

>Best budget: uturn orbit
>Best new allrounder: Rega 3 planar
>Best vintage:(subjective) Linn LP12/Thorens/Technics SP-10/15

The only downside with the Project is the muffled and veiled midrange, and upper midrange brightness.
In that price range with the Rega planar 1 and the Sony PS-HX500 it's not as good but still a decent table but there are better sounding tables, especially in that price bracket

I'd really consider going vintage.
Second hand turntables are cheap as fuck and if you know what to buy you're going to get way better value than buying one new.
It does make for a shittier christmas gift but whatever.

>Get an AT-LP120
Came here to post this. Just bought one for myself last week and I'm happy with it

RP-1 is just being reintroduced for a short time for sub $200, but it's probably top late if OP wants it for holidays

True though if OP can spend a little more they would have more to choose from, the Sony has dropped in price a fair bit but really budget is t

We were talking about the the other day. The Sony PS-HX500 received good reviews and can convert vinyl to digital.

Just connect it to a PC via USB and convert analogue records into DSD5.6MHz native files. DSD captures the fine nuances of old masterpieces including the smoothness of vinyl. Archive files to a music server, take them out on your Walkman or enjoy them in your car. An internal Phono EQ amp lets you enjoy analogue through a high quality audio system.

Newly designed integrated shell type straight tonearm

The integrated shell improves durability and stabilizes the cartridge for superior focusing and dimensionality of sound, while its lightweight structure improves traceability.

Vinyl goes portable in High-Resolution Audio

is obvious shilling a new meme?

I'm a fan of their products and it fits the bill. Within the price range and converts to digital. Five star reviews as well. It ends the debate.

The ATLP120 is incredible! Although, the Rega, Pro-Jects, and U-turns are all VERY girly--so those might be a good bet too.

>The Sony PS-HX500 received good reviews and can convert vinyl to digital.
You can do the same shit with every vintage equipment, just plug the RCA-to-3.5mm jack on phono preamp or receiver's RCA out and to your PCs line-in

>vinyl
>portable
The free market was a mistake

are vinyl's genuinely worth it?

Well if you're not going to bother with a built in DSD native AD converter, some people like things makeshift and shoddy. I bet you have jam fingerprints on your cds.

is the speed not adjustable on this one?

I lucked out.
$200 for a 2nd hand Rega RP1. I'd have to spend a lot more to get something noticeably better.

I got the ATLP120 as well, I am happy with my purchase and would definitely recommend it.

Yes but is by manually placing the belt to another pulley. If you mean pitch shift instead, then no.

Depends on the set up. My turntable is a simple Trio belt drive with a Shure M97xE cartridge. But what makes vinyl a great format is the choice of amplifier and speakers. Have a pair of Tannoy Monitor HPD 295 and a Fisher 400 Valve Receiver.