/prod/ Production General

Basic theory edition.

Talk about music production, composition, songwriting and audio engineering.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That is considered self promotion and will usually result in a bad feedback.

YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>BusyWorksBeats (same as above, a lot of good new content coming)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

>Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

>WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

>Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

musical-artifacts.com/artifacts?formats=sf2&tags=n64
youtube.com/watch?v=KeMp01n97QM
vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=1309
youtube.com/watch?v=lIES3ii-IOg
youtube.com/watch?v=TmOUm0FdWQw
clyp.it/llty1ztl
clyp.it/4vheg1so
mega.nz/#!Vw8TQJxA!vh79_99JFlU-8obHMyz6a24TKI81rkzG892356aqYts
clyp.it/h2edbteu
clyp.it/hrnvvtgl
clyp.it/jc0ojm3u
clyp.it/l1yc0afd
clyp.it/4yeey2yk
clyp.it/qscd2t5h
clyp.it/l5p0d3gn
asb2m10.github.io/dexed/
hsjp.eu/downloads/Dexed/Dexed_cart_1.0.zip
youtube.com/watch?v=ZYlrOCaUYhs
clyp.it/ykvba35a
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

check this out

musical-artifacts.com/artifacts?formats=sf2&tags=n64

Ionian is Major. Aeolian is Natural minor scale.

All those modes are relative to the Major(Ionian scale).

So for example, C Lydian means you are playing the notes
>C D E F# G A B

as opposed to a normal C Major.
>C D E F G A B

note the sharp fourth interval(F#) in the Lydian mode is the only difference

and?

And a useful little chart.

I don't support the use of different key notes for each mode. Every mode has exactly one key note that makes it unique. that's the only one you should care about

How do I make music like this?

>>/wsg/

Yeah, thanks.

youtube.com/watch?v=KeMp01n97QM

that guy is unironically unhelpful. i've put many samples through a bitcrusher and it never comes out as awesome as

you ever try vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=1309

also you ever try and give it some space, like an impulse response of a room or something like it was recorded in a real space, maybe some background noise

thoughts on these?

youtube.com/watch?v=lIES3ii-IOg

youtube.com/watch?v=TmOUm0FdWQw

not trying to be a contrarian but he was showing you how to make an entirely different kind of tune than that lain one. The lain tune you will only make using that particular sample. And no bitcrusher I don't think.

Hey /prod/ Im trying to experiment a little more with my songs and I have no clue what people might think of this. Kinda weird psychedelic synthy stuff, but poppy

clyp.it/llty1ztl

If I have multiple frequencies playing at the same time, how do I lower the volume of the quiet ones (even to zero) and raise the volume of the loud ones?

Or alternatively, how do I remove the reverb from a sound so it's completely dry?
Doesn't need to sound good. I just need the sine waves of the original file without the reverb thickening them up.
I tried iZotope RX but I'm not getting the results I hoped for.

Guys please help, I'm flipping my fucking lid and feel completely helpless
I need to put an audio file on a school server and it's due very soon, but every time I drag it to the server folder it reads "Could not find this item. This is no longer located in [path]"
Other audio files can be copied just fine. Not that one. I've tried dragging it from different folders, renaming it, copying and trying the copy, putting it in an archive and extracting from there, even opening the fucking thing in Audition and re-rendering it as a new file and it STILL DOESN'T FUCKING WORK

WHAT DO I DO?

how large is the file compared to the other ones

Same size. I just tried re-rendering in Ableton too, still won't fucking work
This is so confusing and infuriating, there is no reason this shouldn't be working

>If I have multiple frequencies playing at the same time, how do I lower the volume of the quiet ones (even to zero) and raise the volume of the loud ones?
you use something called an equalizer

Well first of all, calm your shit. Professors are humans, not machines, and will work with you as long as you aren't bullshitting. Just take screenshots and inform your professor. Why would they fail you if it's something you cannot control?

how to keep a characteristic sound throughout an album

It's not precise enough for what I want to do, and I can't accurately control pitch changes.

have one

bazinga

is this ok?
clyp.it/4vheg1so

You could do this in different ways.
You could use the same harmonies. You could reuse motives.

That's not what I'm worried about at all, my professor won't mind. I've just never quite seen such a confusing error. The only logical explanation I can think of is that there's something wrong with the song itself somehow, but I've never heard of anything like that happening

that often happens automatically because you tend to use certain sounds, melodies and harmonies during a period of your development. I wouldn't force it, though

A file copy operation is a file system/transfer protocol thing, so it would have no reason to inspect the audio file for integrity - more likely an invalid character in the file name/file path.

Re-name the file using less than 8 characters, all lower-case letters and no spaces, then move it to the root of your hard drive so there's no spaces or other characters in the file path - try copying it to the server from there.

good points
what about the sound itself, tones etc. whithout using the same preset for every song

Using similar sounding instruments or orchestration is another way you could do this I assume.

Tried it. No dice. Even send the file to my laptop and tried it from there. Same issue even though the file's completely usable otherwise.

This is fucked. I'm mad.

When I put it in an archive, place the archive in the folder, then extract it, the resulting file is 0mb and unplayable.
Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

Okay convertin all these EPROMs to usable WAVs is gonna take a while, it's a manual one at a time deal, no batch no directory no nothing, just File -> DMX to WAV, navigate to the file, click on the file, verify the export filename, repeat. I want em all tho so it'll get done, just maybe not by today. I don't have enough uppers nor enough downers to make me okay with this.

/prod/ approved piano libraries for Kontakt?

Easy on RAM is a plus.

just fucking hear them on youtube and read the comments

t. pianoteq and ezd user

You most likely need more RAM. Your RAM could be bad. I've seen this happen before where half of the file is stored in one good sector of RAM and the other half is stored in a bad sector.

What? I have 8 gigs, why would that be an issue? That doesn't explain why it's perfectly functional in every way EXCEPT being able to transfer it to the shared folder

Aight here's all the sets from the Emu Drumulator, WAVs converted from dumps of the raw data on the machine so it ain't ever gonna get better than this. Pure 80s sounds, not the comparatively overused Linn / DMX / DX drum machines neither.

Emu Drumulator - All kits (Standard, Electronic, African, Rock, Alternative, etc)

mega.nz/#!Vw8TQJxA!vh79_99JFlU-8obHMyz6a24TKI81rkzG892356aqYts

Here's some demos of some of the sounds from a repackaged collection of these EPROMs intended to go with a glorified EPROM player VST that'd set you back 40 Euros (50 USD), and you wouldn't even be able to use them outside of their own drum machine VST. I ain't used that piece of shit software to convert them and I ain't gonna link to it, sick of their shit.

clyp.it/h2edbteu

The first one is a Phil Collins thing that doesn't do it justice imo so don't quit on it after just the first one. Just compression and reverb added.

Why do scores on IMSLP always have a 3/5 rating?

fucking sweet

clyp.it/hrnvvtgl
Thoughts on this trip hop beat? I've been trying to work on my mixing, I still am pretty clueless on how to mix 808s.

its not the file

try resetting modem

Good work user - thanks.

Pitch the drums around, add some reverb, and lots of FM, real fun.

clyp.it/jc0ojm3u

good shit

This is cool. Good job. For anyone who likes VSTs, UVI's Beatbox Anthology includes the Drumulator and many other drum machines

t. Not a shill

you enter the dance place and hear this alien-techno music
what do?

clyp.it/l1yc0afd

sounds like a sitcom intro. nice job

Gonna bump this, im proud of this shit

clyp.it/llty1ztl

why are you so proud of that? I wouldn't listen to it a second time to be honest

Cuz i think it sounds cool and its better than all the other shit ive done

What don't you like about it?

Sounds pretty good, considering its techno I'd try to draw out bringing in the elements.

Your track has all parts of a song but it sounds really corny and the synth sounds like shit. Not to say its not an accomplishment.

In Renoise there are some basic synth wavetable sounds and I've been able to make some pretty simple sounds with it. My question is are there any good tutorials video/written on making synths in Renoise?

clyp.it/4yeey2yk can I get some feedback on this lofi black metal track? WIP

needs some low end, like any low end at all would be tight.

unless thats intentional because yer going for the lofi thing... it can still be lofi with low end though

this sounds righteous. i'm grabbing w/e was uploaded above to see if it will be useful to me in the future.

here is something i'm mixing for a friend. I've done 5 other songs from this session and this one turned out the best. Can anybody give me tips on how to improve it so i can use it as abench mark to check my other mixes?

clyp.it/qscd2t5h

help me senpai

Chill, this is a fairly slow board, plus only a few here use Renoise so chances of an immediate answer are pretty slim.
Also what is
>making synths?

smdh looks like some 1995 garbage get with it my man

yeh sheet music is like some 15th century garbage
completely useless

who the fuck usin sheet music in their daw

i kno rite if u aint usin a daw ur doin it wrong

some wannabe fagthoven that's who goddamn depussy tchaicocksky gay ass mofucker

beethoven would suck mad dick for a piano roll

>2017
>playing a piano with a fucking candleabra on top trying to read some dumb ass dots on a paper
why do this

thas rite
fuk sheet music
and fuk pianos too

cubase can but its not as good as dedicated scoring software

indie cred

i only write my music in a dead language no one but a select few understand

i mean i have to convert it to tabs later for the band but compositionally it's all legit

>get with the times

Last update was this year, looks don't matter, the tools and workflow is what matters in a DAW retard.

If you like that kind of thing it's easier than you think if you have the right sounds.

clyp.it/l5p0d3gn

asb2m10.github.io/dexed/ and then also the big-ass DX7 bank collection hsjp.eu/downloads/Dexed/Dexed_cart_1.0.zip what goes into Dexed's cartridges directory.

0:30 and onwards is gold

haha ya my dude pianos some old bitch ass shit like some old faget playin got a lil wite wig on his head and he got his ass on a bench and people like haha faggot get a daw

I've been writing some post-rock/post metal songs and I really want to record them. I've been trying to get into audio production but the learning curve is very frustrating and discouraging. Should I give up and pay someone instead to record my songs? Or should I just though it out and continue?

give up

honestly unless you have a acoustically decent space to record in, there ain't much you can do

maybe pay someone to record for now, but definitely keep learning. it's a marketable skill because inb4

you all ain’t shit

youtube.com/watch?v=ZYlrOCaUYhs

I've been analyzing Drake's production lately and I've learned a lot. But this song has me at a loss. There's so much going on. Is it basically just a bunch of reverse samples being filtered?

clyp.it/ykvba35a

>/prod/ thread
>piano fags subironically niggerposting about the virtues of sheet music

you know that the best thing about prod is the ability to elevate music to sound manipulation, right? it isn't just about throwing compressors on a synth pretending to be a piano fed with some faggy classical midi?

or maybe im doing it wrong

yeah u ain't shit

lel honestly doe i know there's some rustic notation for fx manipulation like delays or reverbs, but how do you communicate wave manipulation or crossfading between instruments or even just simple shit like synth notation, is there such a thing as synth notation?
gonna google it right now, im willing to bet there is and im gonna look like an idiot
but what about sampler notation? granular sampling?

i might be just a faggot but i think there's too many dynamics when one is working with sound that are inexpressable through notation

ya its called THE DAW fag

>not making music in mspaint
youre all fags

lol so ur basically saying that sound notation is only readable via a gui

did i say that u stupid fuk
lol just take a screenshot and print it on a piece of paper
theres ur notation fgt

yeah i do that with synths take a pic and write down the notes

but it doesn't work when you have multiple tabs and shit, you need a gui

also your agression is really lost on me lad, it just gives me a chub

found this, thought it looked aesthetically pleasing so posting

unreadable garbage

ez just dont use tabs

stop being so mean

just think: someone wouldn't have to make this if they had just used a synth with patch memory.

>all data euro meme shit
could have just wrote im gay on the page for the same affect...

if you haven't tried it before try vcvrack

yeah its a useless exercise, but its more interesting to discuss if there's any way to notate this shit than to read niggerposting

looks cool, i use a pirated bazille

No, there's no way to notate that shit.

what about abstract notation like the shit john zorn uses

Holy shit. I thought these were copypastas. Thanks man, have downloaded and will use. Keep up the good work!

I miss these good old days. Learn a bit about sidechain compression, and put a volume envelope on that wowowowowow guy pl0x

Just keep recording. Don't be afraid to record the same song 10 times. There's always gonna be stuff to learn, but like Devin Townsend redid Truth for his album Transcendence (it was originally on another album I think Infinity) and I love that he did

>Drake's Production
I think that's mostly Boi 1da and a couple othe4 dudes, followed by a team of Mixing Engineers if I'm not mistaken.

Anyways, yeah sounds like they made a track with huge add chords and a low square wave melody then reversed it. There's some effects applied to that, and then obviously the beat over top, but I think the trick is in the sample they reversed

I love that this is basically a hand-drawn Max patch. And that sort of illustrates the absurdity of it.

if your goal is to actually later recreate something that's substantially the same rather than use it as a set of cues for improvisation or whatever, you can't notate that shit in any way that's actually useful.

Conventional notation only works because it's super simple. It's super simple because it leaves out a lot of details and allows the performer to fill them in. That doesn't work for most things.