Last thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pX9Y7hi-FyI
twitter.com/willbrooks1989/status/802583877386727425
twitter.com/willbrooks1989/status/802584695217262593
twitter.com/Patrick_Ness/status/802555365552332800
youtube.com/watch?v=93cJiXmzUp8
twitter.com/Patrick_Ness/status/802555922170015744
tardis.wikia.com/wiki/The_Honourable_Burger_(comic_story)
tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Time_loop
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

So is the first one like a clockwork orange where I literally can only watch TD, or is it like it's the only TV show I can watch?

There's a difference between "for a 14 year old" and "by a 14 year old" somehow ness manages to do both...

To be fair to Gareth, that particular BBC News article is overly lenient towards Castro. I know that the BBC, as a public service, has to remain 'impartial' politically, but that article is taking the piss.

However, other BBC news articles may contradict this one, so that the news coverage OVERALL is in fact impartial. Would have to check. But I suspect Gareth may have jumped on a bandwagon purely because he's pro-privatization of public services anyway.

Confession: I'm well into the Class DW spin-off now and enjoying it. In fact, will be disappointed if there's no 2nd season.

Tbh it's turned to shut after the fifth ep- wait... no actually it's been shit for the entire time.

The newest episode was the only one good, in my opinion. It had a fairly original idea and was actually interesting to watch from start to finish.

youtube.com/watch?v=pX9Y7hi-FyI
>3x the views of Class episode 1

Of course. Acne Doctor is legitimately more fun to watch than Class. At least it's not unpleasant shits with Miss Quill occasionally being there.

I thought we didn't have actual figures for Class viewership?

We just know it's doing shit because the digital only show can't even knock second hand catch up views of stuff out of BBC iPlayers top 10.

It was literally Heaven Sent but with 3 characters instead of one.

Barb released the top 50 iplayer figures for the month eps 1&2 was released and it wasn't on it. The lowest on the list had 65,000 views so we know it's under that.

All we know is that Class ep 1 is the only one that's been in the BBC i-player top 40.

How the top 40 is worked out nobody knows, and BBC3 have released their viewing figures once only since the channel went online.

>BARB

All the people with BARB boxes are (putting it politely) older than average.

>It was literally Heaven Sent but with 3 characters instead of one.
In what way was it like heaven sent?

Characterization is achieved by isolating a character in a would-be afterlife of their own design with respect to their people's beliefs.

But they were't isolated and in Heaven Sent, the prison is made using the Doctor's personal fears, not his people's idea of an afterlife.

>All the people with BARB boxes are (putting it politely) older than average.
Literally the opposite of reality and not how statistics work.

BARB sampling has to proportionally represent the entire population or the exercise is pointless.

Just saw the new Class so spoilers in this post. I'm a bit confused about how it works. The cabinet is one of those imaginary spaces that exist because entire cultures believe in them, yeah? But I thought in the other cases they were kind of separate from the real world. "It's not real, but we are really here." Like you could visit the birth of the Quill goddess with the governess's machine but she didn't really exist in a way that impacts the outside world. But with the cabinet it seems like that's actually where all the dead Rhodian souls have gone and Quill walks right out of it into the mundane world.

As far as themes go, it's a bit more clear: sometimes believing a thing makes it true, sometimes it makes it untrue (which are both true, just not in a "heaven exists if enough people believe in it" way). Also, beliefs form an important part of a person's identity. So the natural extension of that is to look at what people believe about their own identities and whether those beliefs are self-fulfilling or self-defeating, specifically whether seeing yourself as "the good guy" actually makes you do better or worse things. For instance, the black guy saw himself as a noble soldier (I swear this episode was really written by Moffat in 2014) which is part of why he develops such camaraderie with Quill but it ultimately leads him to betray her. And Quill seeing herself as an innocent victim makes her want to commit revenge genocide, rather than taking the high road like the more guilt-ridden (based on the last episode) Charlie.

So yeah, kind of hope they'll go further into this kind of stuff. Mite b cool.

twitter.com/willbrooks1989/status/802583877386727425

Ian Chesterton?

Omega? Does it tie in to the K9 movie?

twitter.com/willbrooks1989/status/802584695217262593

would be GOAT desu

>direction great
To be honest, I felt like the director was just showing off at times. Like the way they did the fight scene, it felt like they wanted to do a conspicuous cool directing thing™ but it didn't really add anything to the scene.

>I've just discovered who the 'big baddie' behind the whole series
The Shadowkin, surely?

Mega when?

it's the cyberbrig!

So this week's Class takes place during the previous episode?
That's pretty clever, I don't know if TV /who/ has ever done that before (I know the audios have)

Check last thread

No, I don't think they have, but it isn't particularly clever. I've seen other shows do it, too.

Lots of other shows have done it though.

How little fiction do you consume that 2 separate stories happening simultaneously is clever?

Turn Left took place during alternate versions of many previous episodes. Much more clever than Class.

I think Turn Left is one of the single best pieces of Doctor Who writing, ever. Of course, a lot of its weight is lost without having seen the RTD era and its spinoffs.

Remember how some fake spoiler said series 9 would have two different versions of Doctor each featured in separate episodes? Wouldn't it be cool if they actually did it?

Maybe they could bring back that idea for The Dark Dimension back, have a two-parters where it's a past Doctor but everything else (the console, the companion, etc.) is the same, and nobody points it out for the first episode except for some weird quirks going on in the background. And then when things start going completely haywire, this Doctor realizes this regeneration is the wrong one and has to figure out a way to set the timeline back so 12 can exist.

twitter.com/Patrick_Ness/status/802555365552332800

Cancelled.

The books too, with Birthright/Iceberg.

>twitter.com/Patrick_Ness/status/802555365552332800

>all guns blazing

IT WAS WATERED DOWN, DECADE-OLD, FLAT OFF-BRAND COLA

Good.

They really fucked up with their so-called spin-off. They should have introduced at least some leads as characters on the mother show.

Their fatal error was airing it on BBC3 - most casual fans will not know it exists.

Basically the whole thing is a massive con game.

It's a crappy Buffy clone show and they shoehorned Coal Hill in cynically hoping to get DW audiences.

I'm glad it failed. It was shit.

Doctor Who Cinematic Universe when?

JUST

youtube.com/watch?v=93cJiXmzUp8
Is he autistic ?

>is a Doctor Who fan autistic?
Yes.

Any philosophists here in /who/?

But yeah..was an interesting episode.

What went wrong with Class?

Cast mismanagement - characters intrude on each other's niche, especially shafting poor Vivian into obscurity - she has no purpose at all. Characters also lack any special talents that makes them useless more other than not. Plot is too rushed, dropping drama and relationship bombs too early, before any caring for characters could be established. Shadow kin are astoundingly shitty villains.

>connecting it to Dr Who
>not making it a CBBC show
>shitty writer

>Defacing the original setting of Doctor Who which could have been served perfectly well on CBBC with tryhard shit too edgy for even Torchwood
>Not just making it about Miss Quill, everyone's favourite psycho bitch Doctor apprentice

>Written by Patrick Ness

>allowing an American faggot anywhere near Doctor Who

Agreed. Doctor Who is strictly for British faggots.

I would love a Class Spin-Off of Quill's adventures around the world where she is like an alien investigator or something like that

Bored, cats?

Make her the Doctor's new companion

Also, is she a shape-shifter? Does she really look like the queen they beheaded?

I guess. They really need to clarify on nature of Rhodian and Quill. I'm not even sure if they share a planet or are two planets with interplanetary reach.

This could be it, or just April's imagination.

Reminder that acording to this The Doctor went to Fidel Castro's funeral

So why was it that only one them could leave the cabinet?

I thought it was energy issue.

I also suspected it was a set up, so they wouldn't disperse their manpower to control 2 puppets.

That's a pretty good book desu

twitter.com/Patrick_Ness/status/802555922170015744

explains why he's crammed so fucking much into just 8 episodes then

>implying Heaven Sent wasn't just a ripoff of The Ultimate Foe

go to bed colin

It was a beautiful ripoff of Groundhog Day and The Shawshank Redemption.

Just catched Groundhog Day here on TV in my country .. and I'm wondering.. is there any more movies with this 'repeating the same day' theme? Not as good as Groundhog Day for sure.. but gimme some suggestions.

I love time travel movies .. and this theme is sort of time travel ..

I can't think of any. Some TV shows do good parodies of it for just an episode.
You'll never find one that does it as well as Groundhog Day, unfortunately.
As for Heaven Sent and Groundhog Day, the former fails to take what made the latter so great: that the man caught in the loop remembers his every endeavor and thus comes to peace with the loop as he attempts to do everything to make both himself and the people around him whole.

have we entered an endless recursion of time

Haruhi does it really well, too. I've never made the connection.
I wasn't too upset about the Endless Eight. I've seen every episode in it. But I'm patient for the things that I love.

Doctor Strange
>Dormmamu I've come to bargain

>repeating the same day
Edge of Tomorrow

Well memed.

Important Reminder:

National Moments > Doctor Who

The best ever Stargate episode.

>National Moments
Literally what?

Doctor Who is a national moment desu, second only to Wallace and Gromit

Beautiful fucking numbers, my pals.

Something I've thought of for awhile is that writers are too scared to do timeloop stories because viewers would just (wrongly) describe it as a groundhog day rip-off.

>tardis.wikia.com/wiki/The_Honourable_Burger_(comic_story)

CANON
A
N
O
N

>The Honourable Burger
>it isn't about an American hero

I guess if it's cancelled they won't go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on

No movies though because I don't actually watch any.

A list of the best of the best day repeating stories.
Heaven Sent (Doctor Who TV) - The Doctor's timeloop
Scherzo (Doctor Who audio) - The Doctor and Charley's timeloop
The Chimes of Midnight (Doctor Who audio) - The Doctor and Charley's timeloop
Puella Madoka Magica (Anime) - Homura's timeloop

Not as good but still fun
Steins;Gate (Anime, the first five or six episodes are filler shit. It's also quite predictable.) - Okabe's timeloop
Erased (Anime, tightly written but falls quite flat on the murder mystery execution)
A Life in the Day (Doctor Who audio, didn't do as well as the other audios) - Martin's timeloop

Looks like it's shaping to be this
The Shadows of What Was Lost (Book, by James Islington.)

Adding pic related to the list of excellent time loop audios.

There really needs to be a masterlist of some kind. I love timeloop shit.

even small pone has done this before

On my phone so can't make one now but here's something tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Time_loop

BEST CHARACTER
E
S

C

A
R
A

T
E
R

Be honest /who/
do you think you will ever see a heterosexual sex scene between two white people again?

what's this got to do with doctor who, Sup Forums?

>again
When were there sex scenes in Doctor Who to begin with?

class

Rory and Amy weren't THAT long ago.

Who is this genderfluid genius

>again
When were there heterosexual white people sex scenes in Class to begin with?

jesus christ

So if enough people wish for something to be true, it now suddenly exists somewhere?

I can see her eye stay in place when he rips the thing out. :/