All music is percussive music

All music is percussive music.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-XGds2GAvGQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

what a truly stupid thread

>A percussion instrument is a musical instrument that is sounded by being struck or scraped
Pray tell, how do you operate a guitar? A bass? A keyboard?

you don't scrape guitars or bass
piano is technically tuned percussion iirc

what about beatless ambient?

good take except you're objectively wrong because CHOIRS FUCKING EXIST

>guitars
>bass
You strike the strings with your fingers.
How were the sounds made?
You rub your vocal cords together.

>How were the sounds made?
not with percussion

awful thread

You sure about that?
Take Fripp & Eno's seminal debut, (No Pussyfooting). There are no drums, correct. However, consider this:
On side one, all the sounds come from one source: Fripp's guitar. Guitar, which makes sounds by... striking the strings. Percussion. Side two is much the same, except with the addition of a synthesizer in the background. Synthesizer, which makes sounds by... striking the buttons. Percussion.

you dont strike the strings you muppet. if you hit a drum and hold the drum stick on it, it makes noise. if you hold down a guitar string it wont make noise, its the release of the string that makes the noise

>you rub your vocal cords together

>what are pinch harmonics

underrated post

strike =/= pluck

>Something dumb about vocal chords
Nah, it's just air being forced through a tight space which causes a column to vibrate.
youtube.com/watch?v=-XGds2GAvGQ

Synths aren't percussion.
The striking in pianos is because the keys are linked to hammers that strike strings, if you did it by another method it would still be technically percussion. It's why the harpsichord isn't percussion despite being a similar instrument as the strings are plucked rather than struck.
The sound in a synth is generated by circuits or playing back samples and so isn't really comparable to a traditional orchestra, the way you press the keys isn't really relevant to whether or not it's percussion.

you think synths are percussion
because you push buttons to play them

>Synthesizer, which makes sounds by... striking the buttons. Percussion.

Ever heard of ADSR?

beat me to it

this, what a completely retarded statement even for OP

>You rub your vocal cords together.
i think this was the magnum opus

ps**d*sc*rp**n

it doesn't even fit into his previous description of what percussion is

fucking lel. this thread is gold

>air HITTING a column
>plucking, aka HITTING strings in a specific way
Let me just put aside all the electronic instruments now.
These things run on electricity: more broadly, the transfer of energy. How do you think this energy is transferred? Contact. Touching. Percussion.

Excelent post

No music is truly percussive. Percussivity is unattainable.

>These things run on electricity: more broadly, the transfer of energy. How do you think this energy is transferred? Contact. Touching. Percussion
what
the
fuck

what fucking awful bait

give up, you lost

3deep5me

good to know that all contact is percussion
thanks OP

i'm gonna percussion his ass in a minute

all music is vibraphone music because all sounds is vibration

Alright, fine. I concede that some (SOME) instruments are not percussive.
However, all MUSIC is percussive.
Consider the following: all music is vibration. Vibrating sound waves. These sound waves propagate through air. Or... they TOUCH the air. Strike at it. Percussion. The waves NEED the air to bounce off of. Why else would space be silent?

equally as stupid and "bet ya didn't realize that"-esque as "die hard is a christmas move"

he actually goes and says this

>Why else would space be silent
The teremin

no, you fucking hagfish, percussion refers to how the sound waves are produced, not what the sound waves are

where is the line with you

this guy

he's taken it to a new level

I can't tell anymore if you're sincere or just a really good troll

>the waves need the air to bounce off.
no.
NO.
a sound wave is a periodic compression of air molecules.
increasing and decreasing air pressure.

These gullible Sup Forums users are an absolute (you) mine

>A percussion instrument is a musical instrument that is sounded by being struck or scraped
>These sound waves propagate through air. Or... they TOUCH the air. Strike at it. Percussion.
i dont know about you guys, but air is my personal favourite instrument

shh we want to see where he's going with this

Plucking is just striking in a specific manner.
All striking is contact, yes. And all touching is just striking to varying degrees. If I tap you on the shoulder, I'm striking you very softly. Percussion.
The sound is the sound. The sound makes the sound. Percussion.
>compression of air molecules
Very good. So, are you going to tell me that compressing (otherwise known as SQUEEZING) things together ISN'T making them touch? When I make a sandwich, am I not making the bread and the meat all touch by compressing it all together? Percussion.
Laugh it up, but also recognize that there is percussion involved when the sound waves come into contact with, or STRIKE, your earDRUMS.

nah fuck that, this is the kind of person who will try to prove the professor wrong all class if you let him

Bro I think you might be retarded

They're not actually serious, they're just stealing some sweet add (you)s

>The sound is the sound. The sound makes the sound. Percussion.

there has to be force

>making a sandwich is percussion
look at that, i'm married to a musician

No. Melodic pieces of music with no tangible beat or rhythm to hear debunks this rhetoric.

We must admit there is a difference between striking and friction, and that without friction, bowed instruments would not produce sound

>The sound is the sound. The sound makes the sound. Percussion.
>When I make a sandwich, am I not making the bread and the meat all touch by compressing it all together? Percussion.

I think this guy might be a genius