How can a show be so repetitive and good at the same time?

How can a show be so repetitive and good at the same time?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/iTwmsFVOUAo?t=83
youtube.com/watch?v=Xjg0Ip7TzzM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Formulas become formulas for a reason.

Because the formula is good and there characters are interesting and interact well.

Procedural dramas are a thing for a reason, it fits with the weekly episode format.

And House only get shit for being formulaic because people mistake it for some standard medical drama when it actually is a whodunit in doctor's clothes.

I only count the first three season canon and i think the memes are bullshit. Yeah of course there's someone sick each episode and drama ensues genius that's the premise of the show. Of course certain characters behave in a certain way that's what character means, asshole.

I can't vouch for anything beyond, sadly we live in a world where making money is almost always the priority so this show went too long and went to shit as well and became a shell of its former self.

But for the first 3 seasons it was goat television.

I thought it was good up to maybe the last couple seasons. I haven't watched the last one but there was never any point where I felt the quality drop of to any great extent. I probably am less judging than some people on here though.

>implying the show didn't peak on season 5
>he didn't watch that comfy christmas episode

No it definitely went to shit way before that. S4 was okay in how the writing still felt fresh and smart but they had completely killed the show when they removed the old team and gave us some dozen new characters and wasted our time with bullshit about House picking people. The show should've skipped some time and gave us a new team under House with a focus on medical mysteries and some comfy drama on the side. Instead they gave us three annoying faggot characters while still keeping the old team around anyway. The show became a clusterfucky and boring.

I'm sorry no amount of good episodes is going to save the show at that point. They had killed the very core of the show which means there's no point in watching anymore.

I still can't believe he actually fucked and even got into a serious relationship with Cuddy.

I was flabbergasted back in the day, and i still am.

>House
>good

>le smirk man from reddit show

>le "House cracks the case by talking to Wilson" episode
>le "House is atheist" episode
>le "House is dick to patients" episode
>le "House is better than everyone else" episode
>le "it's just a dream bro" episode
>le "Taub is a jew" episode

Peak of the show was House's Head/Wilson's Heart and if you say otherwise you're wrong. Top quality tv.

and literally all of those work

True, but pls don't pretend this show is anything more than a glorified soap opera, a teleflick.

>it's jim looks at the camera after saying something
>it's jim pulling another epic prank
>it's Dwight is a major unaware autist
>it's another pam and jim episode
>it's every character is a one-dimensional meme who constantly lives up to the meme

At least it's a self-aware mockumentary, unlike House that was always borderline pretentious and preachy.

Good thing House wasn't on these days instead, it would probably have had a lot more episodes revolving around sjw shit.

I member that one episode where it was found out the dad was fucking his daughter, but then they found testicles inside her that never dropped so it was actually his son or some shit? Dunno but keks were had.

It's a TV show. The show made fun of Michael Scott for being racist and dumb and then the next scene they portray the black dude in a very stereotypical and dumb way. The writers were as dumb as Michael Scott.

This has nothing to do with House of course. Just I wouldn't shit on House while posting something from The Office. It's far more generic than House and it looks like it ended the same way House did.

The show actually went so long that it witnessed itself turn from hip to outdated. So much shit happened after 2008.

It died when the focus drifted from the patient to the whiny overtalking staff.

Not very accurate but I get your point. I think the case and the medical mystery and way the characters handled is the core of the show. Of course with House's character being studied over the course of the show.

They had plenty of episodes where they focused on the patient and they completely failed because at that point they weren't interested in telling medical stories just stories about shit and the medical stuff was something they had to do.

Stereotypes exist for a reason, senpai. Do you happen to be a negro? Explains your triggering.

4,5 and 6 are great seasons though.

Here's the good.

Not a negro. The show constantly made fun of Scott assuming stereotypes about people and then the show itself proceed to present nothing but stereotype with the black character being the most obvious one.

>le formulaic is bad meme xddd
Kys, reddit.

4 5 are shit seasons. 6 is mostly shit so it's shit as well. Your meme episodes won't save the whole show magically.

kinda what I mean, yeah. It started as a medical show and ended as party of five

the fuck are you even talking about

>le i paraphrase what is a commonly held belief by people who aren't fucking retarded and adorn it with le's and ecksdee's because i'm too fucking stupid to have a coherent defense for lazy showrunning meme

love this one

There's no need to defend it because it's not a negative. Complaining about an episode-driven show being formulaic is like complaining about it having actors.

Kek, Stanley and Darryl were nothing like your usual blacks.

>what is a commonly held belief by people

No it's not. I bet all the epic shit you like can also be made to appear cliche and formulaic if you looked closely. At this point I'm assuming you're from reddit and like Breaking Bad, GoT, TWD and Mad Men.

>episode-driven show

you mean a tv show with episodes?

i was just shitposting but i think you literallly are too stupid to recognize genre tv crafted by executives for the lowest common denominator

>I dont understand the difference between episode-driven and arc-driven shows

>i think episode driven means something other than a show driven by episodes

damn, sorry about your 90 iq user.

>Here's the jew.
Fixed for you.

It means outside of special multiple parters you wont ever hear a "previously on house" or see/require a recap to understand any given episode.

no it doesn't, that's just how you're attempting to pretend to use it because you don't know how words work

try getting a handle on English before you attempt tv criticism again, friend

>like your usual blacks.

What is that? This is exactly what I'm talking about. They could've written actual characters instead of meme people.

Here's how shitty The Office's writing is: in this show there's two group of characters: the normals and the clowns. The clowns are complete memes with no self-awareness and their job it to be clowns. The normals have to sit there and makes faces and be uncomfortable whenever a clown does his thing. This goes along in the most shameless way possible for the whole show. Of course add the Jim/Pam couple bullshit to milk the show forever.

The problem with the black characters is they're normals who're sometimes written like they are clown. I find it funny honestly that the writers could be as stupid as Micheal Scott with his unintentional racist shenanigans.

Yes it does mean that.
And even if you disagree, you're arguing semantics.

>in this show there's two group of characters: the normals and the clowns

Nope, they're all humans with flaws and virtues, they can be assholes and good sports. Did you even watch the show? Numerous episodes showcasing every character's human sides.

Hugh's dreamy blue eyes is how.

Because its based on greek drama. Like el Chavo del 8, which was repetitive as fuck but very effective.

Since when is Sherlock Holmes considered a Greek drama?

adult people fuck and have relationships, get over it autismo.

BEADY

>he didn't think house's head/wilson's heart were the best episodes on the show

kys senpai

houses character was just too good. hugh laurie pulled it like a genius man, he even became a sex symbol, a real non meme one, real sexy old man, until that he was just some sort of goofy comedian in the publics eye right?

>im a pleb that cant look past content!

pleb.

>But for the first 3 seasons it was goat television.
Even by the third season there was a noticeable drop in quality, but still pretty good I guess

Whatcha think of Hugh's new role in Chance?

>trying to justify your obsession for a formulaic modern tv show with appeal to authority

even the creators said it's basically Sherlock Holmes MD. Nothing Greek about it, retard.

Are there feels in this show?

>tfw you can't make Cameron your personal dr. and sex slave

this show got me into Massive Attack and Zero 7 so I'll love it forever

This is pretty much my go-to example for why having a formula isn't necessarily bad. Some shows are about experimenting and doing something new every time and other shows are about doing one thing consistently well with just enough variation to keep it interesting.

plenty of feels

Yes, many.

What the fuck are you on about honestly, you think the first two seasons with the worst season arcs (Vogler) and the team being shallow as fuck are the best? Get real faggot.

>House calling Foreman everything but a nigger
>House constantly cracking sexist jokes
>generally being anti PC

It wouldn't have been made in this time

>repetitive and good
The two are not mutually exclusive.

>tfw house has an argument with cuddy and it turned out he hallucinated his past night with her

Give it 2 years, the SJW party is over and the hangover is about to start.

What is this formulaic meme with House? You don't hear people complaing about NCIS or CIS or whatever being formulaic. If the formula works, it works.

You posted the wrong pic, family
Here, ftfy

>"Dr. House, I'm just a patient, but I instantly recognize everything about your personality and self-destructiveness and I'll lecture it to you before I undergo the strange bizarre treatment you've recommended for me, and it will really make both of us think."
the series

Comfiest show ever

True. But most of the thread people not even considering S5 and 6 shit so it's completely beyond them to see the flaws of S3.
you first. I bet you enjoyed Breaking Bad. People like you just want memes.

youtu.be/iTwmsFVOUAo?t=83

>when she's dead and he climbs into the hospital bed with her

>blocked in my country
Thanks

""""land of the free""""

Please God let this be true.

Absolute kino show

Chase was best

youtube.com/watch?v=Xjg0Ip7TzzM

Best peon coming through

fact
I like how he didn't give a shit about any of House's amorality and just went along for the paycheck instead of whining about it

that's not true
there's only a handful of those patients

>House interacting with patients at all unless they're a hermaphrodite or something

For all this bitching about the show being formulaic it actually saw the characters through to the very end like few other shows have.
While a bit anticlimactic, the ending and the run-up to it is very fitting. It's about as good as it's gonna get for a character like House - selfish, self-destructive, obsessive.

This.

The last season gets a lot of (correct and justified) flak, but the actual ending was about as good as they could have done with it.

The writers played to the show's strengths which were Hugh Laurie and the supporting cast. The House-Wilson (Holmes-Watson) dynamic was enough to keep me interested.

it's like pretty much every patient he ever interacts with

yeah the characters were always spouting deep ass sophism and character judgments but it is a television show and character development has to be squeezed in and that's how they chose to do it.

Cause Hugh Laure carried it

>Step 1: Find a formula that works
>Step 2: Use the good formula to make a good show
>Step 3: Success

I don't understand the confusion. The "House formula" works, so they kept using it. Even when people picked up on how repetitive it was getting, it remained good because there was enough going on to keep you entertained until House would inevitably find the cure.

You knew someone was going to get sick at the beginning of the episode, and you also knew that every time House thought he had the case solved, he would be wrong until the last 5-10 minutes of the show. But between the medical drama, patient interaction, team drama, etc. there was enough going on to entertain you until the solution to the puzzle

Jump off of a bridge you jaded asshole.

hot doctors

good writin and actin bud

>it's a kutner's actor takes a white house job and the writers have to pretend to make a deep point about how suicide and depression can affect even the least likely people episode

those are some nice nips

>A jew doesn't care about morality, just for the money

COLOR ME SURPRISED!

To be fair Kutner did talk about suicide earlier in the season

Out of everyone on the show he was the one least likely to commit suicide.

>hurr durr his happy persona was just a facade
yeah maybe should have hinted at that before once

A large percentage of people who commit suicide don't outwardly present with depression.

Yeah but they also aren't shown to be happy-go-lucky dudes in literally every scene.

Kutner was.

I don't see how that contradicts my statement.

Tell that to Robin Williams