How can a guy this down to earth be hated, at all?

How can a guy this down to earth be hated, at all?
His fanbase can be cancerous sometimes, but that can be said about almost any fanbase.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=P4xeT7phuog
youtube.com/watch?v=uzJQ7EF_ti0
youtube.com/watch?v=g39v7WCPnkQ
youtube.com/watch?v=40YzTpxrdZQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Sup Forums is cancer

enjoy what you enjoy, fuck what some user has to say about it, yada yada

its a meme you dip

hate is a strong word. I just dont really like his music. also hip teens and college students jock his style too much.

i'd give mac a smooch

Might be because of obnoxious faggots like you who keep whining about his fanbase thinking you are any different
just a guess

He's the opposite of down to earth. everything about him is manufactured and pristinely selected to specifically bring about an image. Hating trash like this for what it is is the ultimate pleb filter, and normies need not apply.

who's manufacturing him?

Some guy from Brooklyn called him a "fake new yorker"

Grandpa, do you even know what "hip" means?

He is fabricating his own image, yes. If there's ever an example of a modern fraud pandering to a specific look or "vibe", mac demarco would be at the top of the list. He's just a poseur, desu, and I'm amazed at how many people fall for this shit and even look to emulate it on a cult level.

I don't wear Viceroy caps nor overalls, so no.

>everything is manufactured, nothing is original or natural
why you think this way?
For example, Watergun Watergun Sky Attack is also very down to earth and also makes great music, but never made a breakthrough. Is he more or less manufactured because of his "fame"? It's not like both Mac or WWSA play on the radio, at all.

everyone who's hating him is probably a melon dick rider, or a music elitist who only listens to pink floyd and thinks all music has a really deep, interesting meaning

I can tell from the examples you chose for your straw man you're extremely new to music, please fuck off.

op is a prime example of his shitty fanbase
any kind of criticism on mac's music = hate.

probably because he's canadian

even the melon man's warming up to him now

I think anyone who calls him "manufactured" or "fake" is reading way too much into everything about him. Why do you think you know so much about his thoughts and intentions?

his persona is fake(to an extent) he literally said it himself in that documentary he did before he before salad days

How about you respond to my post directly rather than passively responding indirectly little dumb fuck

Anyway, no, I don't need to even listen to his music to know what it's going to sound like. That's the sign of a very intricately designed look, far too pristine to not be manufactured. He's just fake. I'm sorry you can't into aesthetics (and overuse) to understand why.

The music itself is just alright

everyone's persona is fake to an extent that's just a part of being a human being and putting yourself out there

I'm so surprised a mac demarco fan is a teenager with a teenage mindset.

I'm not passively responding to any one person. If not for the same dick-swinging tone, I wouldn't even know which post was yours, user.

I'm just curious as to why you seem to feel so threatened by this guy affecting a persona, like almost every musician who has ever lived. People feel the need to separate themselves from their onstage selves, I imagine.

well if you're fine with being lied to. god bless user

Yes, you are. You specifically addressed two points made in the post. You just didn't address it directly.

>threatened

He's fucking fake as shit. I'm upset people fall for a fraud with the main appeal of him according to his fans being how "down to earth" and "chill" he is, when everyone that isn't a drooling moron with a basic grasp over aesthetics sees him for the paper thin fraud he is. Music isn't that great but people don't listen to this boring, middle of the road trash for the music, it's the entire image that goes alongside with it. Dude, workwear, carartt, thrifted, lmao, LOL bum a cig bro?

He's a summary of what killed whatever the "indie" scene overall had going for it. It's like a parody, honestly, all the cliches rolled into one.

every day you live you're being lied to by someone

stay woke frend :^)

He's like the Rick and Morty of music

As a hardcore Mac Stan this post really ruffled my feathers. ~

Mac is just a swell guy, he’s sweet, caring and very talented and chill.

Don’t overthink it. I like his style so I emulate it and buy similar outfits from websites. His music is bomb too. Get over it. He’s also funny af, my college buds like to smoke together and it feels chill. Don’t hate, stay on good vibes y’all.

dude idk he seems like a pretty chill guy, he put his fucking address at the end of one of his albums and apparently he constantly had people showing up to his place to hang and talk to him. I dont know how more down to earth you can get than that

the rock does the same shit. its called marketing and he moved

I hate it when people enjoy things incorrectly too, user.

Yeah he seems very chill, man.

I wish I could meet him and just listen to some records and maybe smoke a joint with him. Just to see what he’s thinking about.

i already did that once. hes kinda dumb lol.

In that everyone here pretends to have never liked it before it grew a large fanbase or that they never would have even if vapid pseuds didn't discover it en masse. It''s just immature brainlets changing their opinion to suit a counter-culture narrative that aligns with their own brand of unique genius

besides 2 his music hasn't gotten much better. the synth stuff is him ripping off city pop and kinda inferior to what he's influenced by.
another one was just really bad.
this old dog was pretty forgettable for me.

whatever dude, in literally every encounter ive ever read about him and every interview/video ive ever seen of him dating back to the release of 2 hes pretty much been the same nice dude. one of my friends told me he saw Mac when he was touring for Rock n roll nightclub in dallas and after the show him and his band helped jump my buddys car and then proceeeded to invite them to some afterparty. You really think Captured Tracks has been blowing all their money on PR for him since the beginning? maybe for the new release but idk man

ok

story?

>after the show him and his band helped jump my buddys car and then proceeeded to invite them to some afterparty.
holy fuck thats just basic human kindness. strangers do that for everybody. nvm its clear you're under 18.
btw have you bought any of his records? or you're just some kid who defends him on Sup Forums without helping him out financially

isn't much of a story. went to p4k festival and saw him couple hours b4 he went on stage. he was smoking with kiki and her friends from unif and a buddy of mine knew one of the girls so we walked over. started talking about college and then mac brought up how he sucked at alegbra so much he got his friend to take his test for him just so he could pass lol.
was more funny than dumb i guess

Well said

I'd agree with you pretty much completely as far as his music is concerned. I wholeheartedly enjoyed 2 though and watching bitter /pol runoff sperg out like this over a half-decent indie flavor of the month is becoming increasingly annoying

holy shit get off your high horse. yea ive bought all his stuff, and im 22 idk what the big deal is. You've been trying to call him a fake hack and i gave you multiple instances of that being false, so??

like i thought. you don't even buy his music lmao
>yea ive bought all his stuff
post proof

It’s just bored a bored guy being salty for no reason. Mac is great man. Ignore him. He’s so chill but yeah haha

Bought a 2 cassette for a girl a couple years ago, got laid too. Try it

i already have a bf m8. but wow zero proof. this is sad. defending mac and can't even support him on itunes. you think he cares about you arguing on Sup Forums for him or helping him buy cigs
#fraudfan

2 > Salad Days > Another One

This old dog is aight too

You've got spunk, I like that in a man.
You tryna fuck or what

This

Just roll one and chillax to the Big Mac, my dudes

Bruh lay off him man. Chill out dude lol

only if u have a bbc

whats wrong with having an image? hows does this degrade the quality of the music? even without his "image" the music would still be enjoyable, so whats ya problem buddy?

I like that this is clearly just one guy with a seething hatred for mac. And when he runs out of arguments he resorts to accusing people of lying about buying his music. I'm never going to understand some of the people on this board.

Nah but I got half a pizza and an arrested development dvd boxset

t.poorboy who can't afford a $10 album
more of a curb your enthusiasm guy :)
and pizza gives me heartburn

damn

Yeah probably some dude from Ohio who shops at target and has bad taste. What a lameo dude needs to relax. There’s so much beauty in the world.

This Old Dog > 2 > Salad Days > Rock and Roll Nightclub > Another One

only memorable track on another one is the title track imo

No Other Heart though
agree with your rating also

can't get behind this old dog. sounds like a downer without the charm

I know you wear glasses asshole

I love love love On The Level the most. And the title track. Mac should do shoegaze desu

obvious bait, 4.5/10 a little too unsubtle

For the First Time is goat

>all that BS over yet another harmless artist
lol I knew you guys overreact sometimes, but this?
This is the same that happened to AF a few years ago, now everybody's saying they are made up and manufactured. I wonder if one of you would freak out if someone put on Mac or some other p4k praised artist, or would just tip your fedora on the corner.
summed it up pretty much, you guys would never get off your high horses.
Never change Sup Forums.

nah i like father john misty and suffy stevens. mac is just overrated imo. ppl care more about how chill he is than his music
sorrynotsorry

Fedoras were just made to be tipped friend

A Heart Like Hers is one of his best songs

>giving out your home address and eating donuts with whoever shows up is fake chill
How?

IMO he's TOO down to earth, meaning he never has any ambition to soar above artistically.

I really like his stuff, but I listen to it sparringly because after a certain point it just becomes more of the same. He has a few really good, really particular songs and then a bunch of other ones that just blend together in my head.

I don't really care about his image and I'm not autistic enough to think it's "manufactured", nor do I see how that would affect the quality of his music. I like him because he's a pretty good songwriter, although he can be very hit or miss especially recently.

Quality of his recent work aside, most of this board seems to have some kind of personal slight against him that's ostensible based towards his music but that doesn't really hold water when Sup Forums as a whole praises far more generic and poorly-written music than his.

I'm leaving

im black and don't own a fedora. connan mockasin is better tbqh

Essentially mutants are just acting like incels crowded around a high school yearbook together to look at the guys who go out with the crush they've never talked to. Mac Demarco is the boyfriend in that scenario

talking about yourself incel?

But you know you found him through Mac Demarco you fake ass high schooler

me too

>complaining about "image"

Newsflash: All your favorite artists have an image: more at 11.

opposite actually
he's good friends with ariel pinks ex-bass player tim. and im 24 btw

oops didn't include his name

Ariel Pink and Mac are friends as well

yeah i know. mac's a nice guy. his music just isn't a big deal for me. plays it too safe for my taste sometimes

this

he encouraged his friend to masturbate in front of children, then he proceeded to rape 3 of said children, all under four years of age. the man is a sexual predator, but most importantly, a lousy musician.

>>>/tumblr/

it's not like music has to make you think/go through an existential crisis though

it's just easy listening, i don't see the problem with catchy music which sounds good. there's no reason to have irrational hatred for the guy

Cadillac, Cadillac
Long and dark, shiny and black

He said something about his album cover trying to mimic another album cover, but it ended up looking more like Springsteen than the album art he was actually copying.

Wow what a fucking spastic

>there's no reason to have irrational hatred for the guy
where did i say i hated mac?

>it's just easy listening, i don't see the problem with catchy music which sounds good.
never did i say that was a bad thing? i just prefer other artist who did that better for me. like this
youtube.com/watch?v=P4xeT7phuog
or this youtube.com/watch?v=uzJQ7EF_ti0

Not the one you quoted, but will give these a listen when I get home.

>Music Elitist
>Pink Floyd
Opinion immediately disregarded

is this comic strip supposed to be that scene from scrubs when FUCK MY SHIT UP (actually cant remember his name right now) dies from cancer

I feel like I'm a little late to the Mac DeMarco party, but I like him overall. He can be a little much at times, esp during interviews and between songs at shows, but whatever. His music is cool and has a dreamy sort of sound. I am Canadian as well so I'm a little biased, but he honestly doesn't really strike any of the same feels that I love so much in other Canadian musicians (Neil, Gordon Lightfoot/Downie, Stan Rogers, etc.)

In fact, one of the first things Mac DeMarco things I saw where I strongly disliked his performance was his cover of Neil Young's song Unknown Legend from the 1992 Harvest Moon Album. Easily one of my favorite Neil tunes, and especially one of his better songs from the last 20yrs. But Mac's version did nothing for me and I found myself cringing a little bit.

youtube.com/watch?v=g39v7WCPnkQ

Here's Neil's live version for comparison. What a fuckin gun
youtube.com/watch?v=40YzTpxrdZQ

Not that guy but honestly if you can't see how that's fake then there's no hope for you

The problem with his image is it's obviously manufactured. Nothing wrong with having an image as long as it's genuine.

He's from Edmonton, Alberta. You're embarrassing yourself if you think he's "making it up bro" that's just how people from there are