I want to get into jazz but I do I know which ones to avoid...

I want to get into jazz but I do I know which ones to avoid? I don't want to waste time listening to hacks like Pharoah Sanders, Sun Ra, Kamasi Washington, Ryo Fukui, and likewise.

Please give your advise.

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/collection/jazzthreadguy/reviews,ss.rd
youtube.com/watch?v=dnK6OHPQZbA
youtube.com/watch?v=STEe0cU-1XA
youtube.com/watch?v=mMq8kp1nfso
youtube.com/watch?v=Eh53ohkeGT0
youtube.com/watch?v=3brLNLRBoPM
youtube.com/watch?v=nCjibEEpQuI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

*I do want to know which ones to avoid

Sun Ra - Space is the Place

Alright, I'm never listening to this one.

Any other suggestions?

Stop being a Sup Forums autist and just listen to whatever looks interesting to you and if you don't like the first track then feel free to skip a few tracks and see if you like them better. If you don't then just turn the album off.

You'll appreciate the good shit more if you occasionally encounter some bad shit.

rateyourmusic.com/collection/jazzthreadguy/reviews,ss.rd

plus this

>It's another obvious JTG thread
If you dislike Sanders that much does that mean you can't stand plenty of late Coltrane as well? Also, Sun Ra has a great album, Lanquidity. John Gilmore is a great player.

t. retard

if you want to be able to discern for yourself what makes jazz "good" by the standards of jazz autists just go back and listen to 20 or so of the great jazz albums from ~1920-1970 (find a list on rym or some shit and take your pick) in chronological order. if you aren't a tonedeaf retard you'll begin to understand the ethos of radical innovation that picked up in jazz especially thru the 50's and 60's and you'll begin to hear what makes a solo truly next level.

after all of that you'll listen to those guys you listed in the OP and some of them you might still like (sun ra is cool fuck you), but most of them will probably sound gimmicky and/or basic.

jazz sucks though.

t. rockist

Just listen to the classics and then from there if your a patrician you'll gravitate towards pre-fusion jazz

The more you listen to who's worth listening to, it becomes easier to do this. Like, John Coltrane is always a good bet as he's got the good stuff, he's got variety in his discography, and his most well known records, A Love Supreme and Giant Steps are easier to pay attention to in terms of their crazy level of detail.
If you think late Coltrane is comparable to Sanders just cuz muh so many chaotic notes, then perhaps you haven't really been paying attention to what's being played.

Just watch Cowboy Bebop and tell people that you're into jazz. Normies don't know any real jazz artists, so they won't be able to call you out on it.

>correct
Sanders is like the guy who saw The Room and doesnt get it, outside of silly dialogue, and just copies you without understanding what makes certain scenes so funny. Dubbing, acting, the multiple levels of things that show a lack of understanding how film is and stories are told. Sanders is a knocked off knock off of John and he played with him to add insult to injury

>I don't want to waste time listening to hacks like Pharoah Sanders

What kind of fucked up logic got you there? If you dont know anything about Jazz, what makes you say that Pharoah Sanders is a hack when he was apparently good enough of an artist to be picked up and play with Giants like Coltrane, McCoy Tyner, Coleman, and Don Cherry? Do you lack the self-awareness to not realize the kind of follower you are by saying that merely because you saw JTG say it? Sup Forums is no better than reddit in regards to independent critical thought.

>If you think late Coltrane is comparable to Sanders just cuz muh so many chaotic notes, then perhaps you haven't really been paying attention to what's being played.
Well, perhaps you haven't been paying attention to the linear notes of a lot of late Coltrane releases, because Sanders features on plenty of his material. I'm actually amazed that you didn't know this, or was unaware that I was referring to this fact.

Listen to Elevation. Its far more focused and Sanders finds a unique discernible voice and the music has a quality to something akin to spirituality which i suppose was he's goal.

>lack self awareness
>lack knowledge
Good side man doesn't translate to good leader fucktard. The same goes for any genre. Just because you can play or are good enough to fit what someone's looking for doesnt mean you can write or create.

Then say that and argue it. Dont throw aroun the word hack. Its a fucking idiotic rockists habit to create controversy through inflammatory "criticism". Sanders is very far remove from being a hack.
also Give Elevation a try. It should display Sanders ability as a bandleader. Not saying its amazing, but its a great record. Definitely better than Karma.

Memes aside, this is fucking great.

I'm not the one who said hack

Wait im not the one who said hack.

Sorry I'm getting my car fixed so I have to be a mobliecunt atm

lol why bother you're probably getting into it to look cultured or something
just do the honest thing and listen to trap rap like you were going to eventually jazz is just not for you

What's wrong with trying to look cultured?

just listen to jazz and decide for yourself what to avoid and what to listen to

you're coming off as super pretentious

it's actually pretty surprising,this doesn't even sound like a sound track at times, a lot of these tracks feel like they were made for their own sake

One random post by an anonymous on a sad excuse for a music board on the internet is enough to persuade you? Are you serious with this? It seems as though you are, given .

>One random post by an anonymous on a sad excuse for a music board on the internet is enough to persuade you?
mfw this is how I found some of my favourite albums

That's the exact attitude you should have. Which albums were those?

Transcendence into the Peripheral, Bullhead, Charlie Hustle, Swarth, Chunga's Revenge, Age of Quarrel, Erosion of Sanity to name a few.
I'm not the same dude by the way.

What kind of music are you into other than jazz? It might help to get good suggestions. There is a lot of good stuff from the fifties and sixties, the classics.

But it might be good for you too seek out modern jazz artists too. Sometimes older jazz records can be quite repetitive in form and structure and you might be discouraged too seek further.

Listen to bebop its the only good kind of jazz
youtube.com/watch?v=dnK6OHPQZbA
youtube.com/watch?v=STEe0cU-1XA
youtube.com/watch?v=mMq8kp1nfso
youtube.com/watch?v=Eh53ohkeGT0
youtube.com/watch?v=3brLNLRBoPM
youtube.com/watch?v=nCjibEEpQuI

he has a point