The Expanse

What did you think of the first season?

Im sorta struggling to get into it...

4 episodes in and it seems a little average and drama-ish..

Not quite campy.. A little to teen drama maybe? cant quite put my finger on it..

Plot is to hard to follow

pure kino desu senpai. syced for season 2

I liked it but it felt like they pushed the story along too fast at the beginning. I would have liked a slower start.

It's the least mediocre series in the celebration of mediocrity that is syfy spaceshit.

A little disappointing, but I'll watch the second.

kys, please

is syfy trying to make better tv, or is this just barely passable. obviously the magicians is shit, but it is watchable shit, but i feel this show actually has potential.

is there new leadership on syfy, what is with this change of content quality, or am i just crazy. user help me

bump this shit

What is wrong with this monkee?

Bump

This show has a somewhat BSG-ish vibe. So i might try to finish the season. Visual effects certainly look pretty

I spoke to two people who worked at Syfy about 3 year ago and they said the network is working towards putting out more actual good scifi

was expecting absolute shit so it was a very nice surprise. All about consistency now though, we have to see S2

tried to marathon the pilot but i ended up quitting after about 35 minutes because it was intolerable
bad acting and nu-male tier set designs

I watched the first episode, read the first book immediately after.

Books are better. The show goes to GoT-level "We need to skip shit" bullshit.

I've read 3 of the books and gotta say the first is the only worth really reading. Instead of reading the fourth I went on to read the Ted Kaczynski's writings and that's been far more interesting.

Show looks okay, I guess.

>YWN get to see an ocean on Mar's with your MCRN husbando

Mars is the best oper8tor civilization, I want to see more of them

but UN is alright too with the torture of terrorists stuff

better than westworld, that's for sure

Just finish the first season and then decide if you want to continue. It only gets better and the finale is absolutely amazing.

Good things about The Expanse:

>Thomas Jane
>realistic space physics
>no handwaving gravity; it comes from acceleration or you're in zero g
>Indian politician grandmother
>tense space battles/manoeuvres
>gives a good impression of the vastness of space

Bad things

>plot is a bit contrived and dull. Alien goo, really? Again?
>some flat or nonexistent acting from the crew of the rocinante - a pretty dull bunch
>last couple of episodes get a bit ridiculous; Thomas Jane casually shooting dozens and dozens of people

Best tv/film sci-fi since Universe

Season 2 is going to have a heavy Martian focus to it

*unzips welwalla bentaloda"

gas the belters

Martian pride system wide

SPACE WAR NOW

>Thomas Jane
TFW you will never show up to a premier barefoot, because fuck shoes you've found Julie Mao

I really liked it, great plot, acting and production value.
Two small issues though:
1: Sound in space really detracts from the realism.

2. A blatant agenda with regards to homosexuals and women in high positions. I don't have a problem with either, but I don't like it when shows try to push cultural agendas. Seeing as how most women hate violence, they have always been and will probably always be a minority in the military, yet so many of the high ranking military figures in the show are women. Just tell the damn story and leave the cultural commentary out of it.

>so many of the high ranking military figures in the show are women
the Chinese Martian captain and who else?

I dunno, I watched the show a couple months ago, this was my impression.

there's one woman in military command in the show

Women do make for sense for spaceship combat though, as they tend to be lighter (which is crucial when every gram counts), and use less air (again useful in space based situations). So you'd probably end up with a situation where your ground-pounders are mostly male, and your spaceship crews are mostly female

The woman from Earth actually tries to prevent a lot of the military action from happening. I wouldn't look too much into it or let it distract you. This is also set many years in the future so I'd hope by that time SJW's are no longer existing. Check out the books if you're into it. I'm on the second right now and love it.

>every gram counts in a spaceship with several thousand tons of mass

I just finished my 2nd rewatch. Back when the first 4 eps when available I watched those twice too.

Like most lore heavy shows it does take lots of mental energy to keep track of everything. I noticed lots of things on my 2nd rewatch. Not necessarily 2deep4u mystery-tier stuff, just, details and character motivations, little things like how they respond to certain things with body language.

All in all, really well made show. Story wise they could've amped it up a bit, that's the only downside. But it does mean that S2 will be off the hook.

>t. I learned all my physics from star trek poster

Liked it. I've been needing some decent spaceshit to watch. Hope they don't fuck it up too much.

If you paid only the slightest amount of attention, you would figure out that it's actually 'beltaloda' as in 'belter loader'. A Belter who loads shit into boxes, hangars, ships or whatever, the jobs they do.

beLLLLLLt, not beNt. Get bent sabaka.

>t. I didn't learn any physics at all

>t. autist

Yeah, we know you didn't mate, you think it requires the same amount of energy to move two completely different masses to the same velocity

You realize the difference would be negligible if the two very large masses differ by only a couple hundred kilos right?

so mars is basically Sup Forums, earth is reddit, what are the belters?

BLM

anderson dawes= soros

It's all coming together now

Still requires you to burn more fuel to reach the same velocity, fuel has mass, more fuel means larger fuel tanks, which have more mass, which means you to burn more fuel to reach the same velocity.
Rinse, repeat, etc. You can't escape the tyranny of the rocket equation

THE DIFFERENCE WOULD BE NEGLIGIBLE YOU DUMB SHIT!!!

Soon.

>t. I got lost on the way to meme trek general

Think it's great so far. Love Thomas Jane, love how much they expanded his character building in the opening few episodes.

Undecided about pacing, not sure this was such a great place to end the season instead of at the end of the 1st book (this is like 70%).

Hate what they did with Avasarala (indian politician), cutting her language down to PG and horrible casting.

Spacekino

>horrible casting
This. Her voice was just awful.

>barefoot
is he some hippy or what? also is he famous for anything else than expanse and barefootness?

Really great, but the reveal of what the what the weapon is, is super duper fucking generic. Obviously they have to work off the book, but all that masterful build up to something so standard and uncreative was a bit of a let down.

Thought it was pretty damn great. It's interesting to see humanity diverging as we expand into the solar system. The near-hard-scifi science of it is refreshing, too.

i hate the guy they got to play james holden, he has about 1/10th the charisma of Thomas Jane and i cannot stand his delivery in most of his lines. Same with the Indian bitch.

Everything else i loved, looking forward to s2.

I could list off all the ways that men innately superior for things like piloting, maneuvering in space and any sort of combat, but I feel like if you're still saying this stuff in the current year, you will never learn.

I hated the raspy voice Indian chick but I got used to her

Great for a Syfy series.

Shit, I'd do that too. Just to feel what the red carpet feels like.

>Thomas Jane casually shooting dozens and dozens of people
It's not like he's the punisher or anything.

Could only watch it with subtitles.

oh cmon I'm not even a native speaker and I understood him

KInda conflicted about it.

Mars are pretty cool and the brief space battle stuff was top tier but the story and acting itself is average to flat out bad.

The Indian women's sexy Quarian voice makes me erect though.

americans are incredibly lazy, especially when it comes to different accents

>/tumblr/

Men are innately superior at anything to do with spatial orientation and awareness, reaction time, hand eye coordination etc.
Men will always be vastly superior pilots than women until robots take over; the idea that women would crew space ships because they're lighter is absurd.

4th book isn't great if you didn't like the 3rd. 5th is on another level though, best of the series.

They could just have a crew member shit on the floor and film the droppings from different angles for an hour, and it'd still be better than Universe

BELTER PRIDE SYSTEM WIDE

You forgot belter chicks

You don't see too much of them, though

What do you call this haircut?

>5th is on another level though, best of the series.
meh

still liked the 1st one best. My copy of the 6th arrived like yesterday. Gotta finish up this polity novel first though.

skeletor, please

>some flat or nonexistent acting from the crew of the rocinante - a pretty dull bunch
So much this. The girl is the only passable one. Lead guy is pretty fucking insufferable.

What's the deal with the space mormons?

Time to take a break from Sup Forums, faggot. It's making you retarded.

is bonnie hammer gone?

To our passing poltard who is looking to get triggered that's clearly one too many.

>A blatant agenda with regards to homosexuals and women in high positions

#justredpillthings

>My copy of the 6th arrived like yesterday.

Are you mixing things up? 6th isn't out yet though it'll be published in couple of weeks.

The Mormon chuch is extremely wealthy, and likes to build big, showy things. In my state there's a Mormon temple which is basically a big castle.

They're mormons. In space. Building their spaceship.

They're probably just building a ship to go find the planet Kolob so they can talk to God. No big deal, just normal Mormon shit.

?

Release date is supposed to be December 6th. Who did you bribe to get it early?

I ordered back in like May when Amazon was showing me 10th of June or something as release date.

Bitches kept postponing the delivery date until I got an e-mail "uhh, yeah, it's actually gonna be here sooner, so enjoy" and then it came like Friday with the mail.

pls rip in to ebook pls

damn why did I click that spoiler

Absolute garbage compared to the books, top tier when compared to most modern scifi shows.

Can't really be bothered, sorry user

>as they tend to be lighter (which is crucial when every gram counts)

Yes user, we all read "The Cold Equations" too, stop fluffing your fedora

if they can get it to work

>What's the deal with the space mormons?

Mormons unironically believe that God is a physical guy who lives on a planet called Kolob. I haven't read the books and don't recall them going into much detail about why they were building a multi-generational spaceship in the show, but I assume they were going to track down God.

I laughed my dick off when I saw a Missionary in the first ep; I thought it was going to be a throwaway joke. I assume the gigantic spaceship they are building will come into play in Season 2.

Problem is that Miller overshadows rest of the cast.
Everybody feels bland and pointless by comparison, the entire spaceship crew is so forgettable i have problems remembering how many f them even are there.

The phoned in acting from them and poor casting ruins what could be a really amazing series.

the psycho guy is great

>The girl is the only passable one.
I also like Captain Autism.

Autism guy would make for a better lead than that Holden guy with the range of emotion of a dead fish.