Its laughable how far ahead Kate Bush is of all other female solo artists

Its laughable how far ahead Kate Bush is of all other female solo artists.

I would say that she is the only solo female that can be genuinely considered on a par with her male counterparts. Her talent, in her prime, was just astounding.

What a woman

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/WlyBpvTEF5E
nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/grimes-glastonbury-set-proved-bowie-and-prince-s-maverick-spirit-lives-on-771377
youtube.com/watch?v=CfJSqRf8KxA
dailymotion.com/video/x4k3593
youtube.com/watch?v=FAIT02mB9lo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

post proof

*blocks your path*

enya is better and didn't turn into a PIG

Misogyny at its finest

I guess this is technically correct, seeing as so many female artist have far surpassed their male counterparts

>Her talent, in her prime, was just astounding
>What a woman
>MUHsogyny

Gr8 thread so far lads

looks like a painting wtf

Fuck u misogynist pig

she's not better than grimes. case closed.

All amazing my friends.

Go to bed Claire

>Her talent, in her prime, was just astounding.
you mean the talent of her + the talents of her co-songwriters, session musicians, producers, sound engineers, etc.

>poetry
>co-poet
*breathes in*
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahagagagahahaga

leave claire alone

why don't people ever bring this up for MALE musicians?

>co-songwriters
literally who ?

Double standards

she used a few bits of poetry by anna akhmatova and she rightfully credited her

>What was behind the choice to put a Russian poem on your album cover?

>My grandma’s Ukrainian, and because my parents worked a lot I basically grew up with my grandparents, hearing Russian spoken a lot. They’re actually lines from two different poems by Anna Akhmatova, two different approaches to death. I kind of identified with her – she wrote a lot of poems about being a girl in the scene, all that shit. She’s a pretty cool lady. I also just wanted to put some writing on the cover, because I like the way fonts look.

John Lydon likes Kate Bush. Case closed. If that cynical British twat likes Kate Bush, there's nothing more to be said.
youtu.be/WlyBpvTEF5E

kek! your opinion is foolish, women are typically far more gifted with melodies and performance.

>Road to Revenge: Directed by, written by, produced by, and starring John De Hart
>Taxi Driver: Directed by Martin Scorsese, written by Paul Schrader, produced by Julia and Michael Phillips, starring Robert De Niro and Jodie Foster
Confirmed: John De Hart is a more talented director than Martin Scorsese

>Employing session musicians and sound engineers as opposed to doing the whole album on a computer makes you talentless

Sorry boys, just putting this thread back on topic

if she was talented she would play the instruments herself. that list is fucking huge. checkmate.

Kate literally plays more instruments than Grimes in that picture though...

she's crazy

no. grimes' credits are incomplete. she's credited with vocals, production and poetry, but she actually did vocals, songwriting, playing synths, samplers, violin, sound engineering, production using garageband, the drawing from the cover. on art angels she played even more instruments.

so:
kate bush: vocals, fairlight cmi (sampler), piano
grimes: vocals, synths (roland juno-g), samplers (roland sh-404), violin

Yes but what does this have to do with the fact that Grimes' music sounds like shit?

>Production using GarageBand
This isn't something to be proud of, you know?

>Does moar things = Better musician

What is this 3 year old logic? Producing using GarageBand? Her "music" is still hot garbage.

not when your album turns out to be a masterpiece beloved by millions and when that masterpiece got critical acclaim. great artists could make great music using any tools, even underapreciated ones like garageband. st. vincent also did her album actor in garageband.
this is just your stupid opinion, not a fact.

no, you dip. it means that she's more authentic and more talented (she has many skills). good or bad are subjective terms, especially in art. you should know that by now, kid.
>Her "music" is still hot garbage.
...to you. because your taste frankly sucks.

You people write like you have no perspective on music outside pop from the last 10 years

They don't actually, that's why they think Grimes makes good music

On what grounds is that album a masterpiece? Why millions? Because it sounds important?

>soyboy sexism

lmao! you write like you have any perspective. but you don't have any.

I do. The real question you're asking is why don't YOU?

>no u
Great argument.

Grimes is Kate Bush

Kate Bush is Grimes

There's no need to compare them.

speak for yourself. many grimes fans [like myself] have extensive knowledge about the most relevant (and even less relevant) artists from the past decades. when i say that grimes is great i compare her with all those tens of thousands of artists that i know.

He has more than you user. Anyone obsessing over one musician like your ilk have no perspective.

Wrong. Chaya Czernowin is the most advanced female artist. The plebs on Sup Forums just haven't caught up to understanding contemporary concert music yet.

>no, you dip. it means that she's more authentic and more talented (she has many skills).

No. It means she's a worthless dilettante, jack of all trades.

I have more respect for someone who can sing and play the piano well (which Kate does) than someone who does everything like shit.

Name dem, off the top of your head without google...

WARNING: Yarubafag is active in this thread. They are a notorious grimes poster who should not be engaged. They will post the same arguments over and over without listening to what anyone else has to say, you are wasting your time by trying to convince yaruba otherwise. Again, DO NOT ENGAGE YARUBAFAG. DO NOT BUMP GRIMES THREADS.

^THIS^

Kate may play less instruments but she can play them well, Grimes on the other hand is a crappy performer.

>is a more talented director
You've got your terms mixed up.
By that logic, John De Hart is a more talented FILM-MAKER than Martin Scorsese (directing is a single SUB-component of the film-making process.) People who only direct things are directors. People who do multiple things are film-makers.

Millions also loved Pet Rock, does that means that Pet Rock is a masterpiece product? Absolutely not. This only shows that people are gullible.

>worthless dilettante
and yet her art is very appreciated. explain this. how come a "worthless dilettante" did and album (art angels) with the same metascore (88/100) as the legendary vespertine?

Nope, art can be objective, music can be studied technically, in that regard, Grimes' music is mediocre.

>Teenage Boucher’s obsessions ranged from space travel, to the twelfth-century composer Abbess Hildegard von Bingen, to Russian existentialist lit. She crushed so hard on Dostoyevsky that she even flew to St. Petersburg to attend an intensive Russian immersion.
>But as with Grimes’ music, Boucher preferred autodidactism. Garossino recalls hearing Boucher teach one of Chopin’s nocturnes to herself, bar by bar. But only through the wall—at the time, Boucher had too much stage fright to even play the piano in front of her mother.
>[...]
>Her mother related how at McGill, the wunderkind wanted to take physics, but couldn’t stand introductory courses. Instead, Boucher entered higher-level classes and studied the prerequisite material at the same time. “She would nearly kill herself studying—surviving on almost no sleep for weeks at a time.”

>She moved from Vancouver to Montreal in 2006 to attend McGill University, thinking she was going to be an astrophysicist but ended up taking a double major in philosophy and neuroscience with minors in Russian languages and electro-acoustics (when the Grimes project began to take off, though, she was eventually expelled for missing almost a year of class).

The epithom of a dilettante tryhard, holy shit.

>DO NOT BUMP GRIMES THREADS.
>actualy bumps her threads
you're some special kind of idiot.

>Nope, art can be objective
stopped reading here. the conversation with you is useless.

hold on: i said millions loved the album (consensus) AND that album got critical acclaim (approval from those who are supposed to be music experts). case closed.
this. those anons mixed things up and lack any logic.

Bush ain't shit compared to Tori.

>tryhard,
user, tryhards are the ones who don't succeed at what they set out to do... Grimes has unequivocally succeeded at what she originally set out to do.

>Grimes on the other hand is a crappy performer
explain this: nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/grimes-glastonbury-set-proved-bowie-and-prince-s-maverick-spirit-lives-on-771377

She does the work of a full band on her own
Though ‘Art Angels’ saw her collaborate with other artists, most of Grimes’ music is pointedly the work of one person. Her stage show is no exception: as well as singing, dancing, playing guitar and rapping in Russian on ‘Scream’, she works like a DJ triggering backing tracks and samples and manipulating sounds from a bank of keyboards. It’s exhausting to look at, let alone to contemplate the synaptic dynamics required to perform like that.

She’s a ball of manic energy
Grimes’ high-pitched between-song chat is always delivered out-of-breath at frantic pace, like she’s got an appointment to get to. It’s always full of self-deprecating comments too: “This next song is a little weird. Some people like it, some people don’t,” she says before ‘Scream’. ‘Go’, meanwhile, is introduced as being “a controversial song”. Applause is shyly brushed away, and songs are quantified in terms of how much fun they are to play. “We get to fuck around a bit more than usual with things and instruments,” she says before ‘Venus Fly’. Frankly, they all seem fun to play.

Her songs are incomparable
Already on her fourth album, Grimes has a big catalogue to choose from, but it’s testament to the amount of excellent, out-there pop songs on ‘Art Angels’ that much of the set comes from her exemplary 2015 album, not least ‘Kill V Maim’, “my favourite” according to Grimes herself. It takes a lot to match a defining song like 2012’s ‘Oblivion’, but this one edges it.

grimes is the new bowie, ffs.

Selena Gomez's "Bad Liar" has received nearly unanimous praise from critics... does that mean that song is a masterpiece? If you think critics are being honest and/or knowledgeable, you also must believe unicorns are real.

Selling millions and being "critical" acclaimed is more of a sign of good marketing than artistic talent.

Go to a random jazz gig if you honestly believe any flavor of the month pop star is the pinnacle of live performers.

>Go to a random jazz gig
In order to hear pop music?

youtube.com/watch?v=CfJSqRf8KxA
This is fucking awful LMAO

the random jazz gig is boring as fuck. stop being a naive kid impressed by an avalanche of notes. more notes =/= better. a grimes gig mops the floor with any current jazz musicians. how could those jazz-ers even compete with this level of energy? dailymotion.com/video/x4k3593

It doesn't matter if she "does the work of a full band" when the music is mediocre, her compositions are laughable from a technical perspective, it only impresses people who have the attention of a 3 year old.

>posts a shitty youtube video filmed by an amateur
>expects greatness
>This is fucking awful LMAO
hey pleb, check professional recordings such as this one dailymotion.com/video/x4k3593
those recordings could never do any justice to her bass heavy music anyway. see her live irl and then we're talking.

>grimes is the new bowie, ffs.
so you agree grimes is shit

>the music is mediocre
that's subjective
>her compositions are laughable from a technical perspective

>In small-ensemble situations (typified by the jazz and classical chamber groups) sonic interest is principally achieved through variations in scale, chord progression, time signature, and tempo (aspects known as the horizontal axis elements of music in music theory circles - since they're rendered horizontally in standard music notation) rather than through variations in sonic texture and timbre.

>In contrast to this, large ensemble situations (typified by layered/sample based music - ala Grimes - and classical orchestra/organ music) the opposite is true. Sonic interest is primarily achieved through variations of sonic texture and timbre (aspects known as the vertical axis elements of music in music theory - since they rendered vertically standard music notation) brought about by combining individual samples/instruments together in constantly changing configurations, while leaving the horizontal axis elements relatively untouched.

>One of the best classical examples of this latter method is Bach's Passacaglia in C Minor (originally written for organ, but transcribed here beautifully imo for full orchestra.Notice how, despite its extended running time and constantly variating sound, the horizontal axis elements described earlier are very simply defined and NEVER change (the entire song's chord progression consists of the same 4 chords repeated ad nauseum.)

>This is the sort of context in which the complexity of Grimes' music (especially regarding her earlier stuff) is based; constant, conscious variations in sound quality rather than formal structure.

>Most Grimes songs are verse-chorus-verse (unlike classical). In fact, they're nearly always close to verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus. Sometimes with intros, outros, and pre-choruses, sometimes extended a bit in her longer songs, but still pretty much following the pop "macro structure" formula.

>Took a double major and minor in completely unrelated courses, only to miss an entire year of classes proving she didn't have a minimum of commitment to study and just wanted to show off her complex and varied interests

Yeah, she is a tryhard and probably has some form of autism. This is just the worst part.

No one cares about the quality of the video we're talking about her bad music and her mediocre shows, if you think that some girls and Grimes dancing like idiots is an actual good musical show then you really need to listen to more music

the youtube link didn't fit here because the comment was too long. here's the link: youtube.com/watch?v=FAIT02mB9lo

>No one cares about the quality of the video
this is extremely important when we're talking about live performances. a shitty video with muffled audio doesn't do anyone justice. if you don't care about quality then you're a massive pleb. enjoy your 128 kbps transcodes.
check that professional recording and stop whining.

>tryhard
see

THANKSGIVING CLAPS

WARNING: Yarubafag is active in this thread. They are a notorious grimes poster who should not be engaged. They will post the same arguments over and over without listening to what anyone else has to say, you are wasting your time by trying to convince yaruba otherwise. Again, DO NOT ENGAGE YARUBAFAG. DO NOT BUMP GRIMES THREADS.

How dare you to compare Bach's Passacaglia with Grimes? Have you even tried to understand why Bach wrote like that?

Grimes has absolutely nothing to do with classical composers nor jazz nor anything that resembles music composition. Her music is so simplistic and without a real sense of structure. It's basically someone playing random notes.

This could either be satire or someone with a sincere opinion. It's impossible to tell at this point. I don't care very much either. The board is dead any way.

Reading comprehension, try it.

Brainlet.

It actually is yaruba. He's insufferable and does this shit in every grimes thread, and yeah he is serious

it's a quote. i didn't compose that text.
>How dare you to compare Bach's Passacaglia with Grimes?
i see not problem with that. unlike you, i'm not a snob.

and yet you keep replying to him and keep shitposting in grimes' threads. fool.

Whoever wrote that is an idiot. If you can't tell the difference between a great composition and some crappy artist who relies more on image than anything, well, you are also an idiot.

I'm not one of the people replying to him. I know better than that and just hope others will learn how terrible he is and follow suit.

Everyone knows it's you Yorubafag. The question is, why you keep doing this?

>triggered pompous jazz snob
how dares an user to compare my precious and elitist jazz with pop music and to prefer pop music?!

>OP starts thread praising most original and talented female pop star ever
>Thread descends into a Grimes discussion

Fuck Sup Forums

>Whoever wrote that is an idiot
he's a classicaly trained musician.
>If you can't tell the difference between a great composition and some crappy artist who relies more on image than anything, well, you are also an idiot.
no, you pompous idiot. music taste is subjective. repeat after me.

the key is here:
>OP starts thread praising most original and talented female pop star ever
grimes is the most original and talented female pop star ever. here's your answer.

If music is subjective then why are you trying so hard in defending Grimes when sone other user says her music is shit

Jazz = Lower middle-brow
Groms = Lowbrow fancying itself upper middle-brow

Learn the difference.

because i enjoy doing that, silly user

This is one of the things yaruba always does, it allows him to exempt grimes of all criticism. Please for the love of God stop replying to him, you are wasting your time if you are actually trying to make an argument

what difference to learn when your post is a complete nonsense? wake me up when you post legit arguments, not that crap.

let anons to discuss her music. stop being a bigot.

But yaruba you don't discuss music, you just autsitcly screech loud enough to draw in other people