/daily/ - cow

cow

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/brain_police_f1/brain_police/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/dog_eat_dog_f3/dog_eat_dog/
youtube.com/watch?v=n7z-XO8hvLY&list=LL3WUeKSt0H64tVBIQakwnBA&index=1
youtube.com/watch?v=DQZ42I1-gc8
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/dada_f3/dada/
open.spotify.com/artist/11dMqVZY4PHgVL80tejvHK
rateyourmusic.com/collection/ricebeansandegg/strm_relyear/2017/1
emamouse.bandcamp.com/album/world-gazer
flashlyrics.com/lyrics/suffocate-for-fuck-sake
mega.nz/#F!EV8CwbRJ!FxsUAHZN6SbtKVVBpGNh1A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

pls halp I need an album to listen to tomorrow but it has to be good or I will publicly shame you :0

Nick Drake Bryter Layter

forced meme

fuck you Accel

I guess I should specify
>that I haven't listened to yet

Brain Police - s/t
This one: rateyourmusic.com/release/album/brain_police_f1/brain_police/

Wtf that wasn't me

Even if he's right

added

(TecnomaLaser5000)
Nah I liked your write up. Brief but extremely accurate, and I loved the picture.

cowposter is so dumb, they can't even figure out how to link to this thread from the previous thread. how sad! well, let's try to enjoy our music anyway, /daily/.

(fISH)
>9.0+
OH MAN
i can't fuck this up now i guess. really glad you liked it so much. i've been obsessed with Wooden Bag for weeks.
also (not my rec) Paper's latest album, Toon Time Raw!, is all live instruments. the backing band is actually BBNG under a fake name to not distract from it being jerry's album. not sure your thoughts on BBNG, but rest assured it's an extension of jerry's old style above anything else.
my rec is Dog Eat Dog - s/t. make sure it's the dance-punk one.

and speaking of trying to enjoy music

the slits are just remarkably terrible. each component of their band sounds awful. when they come together, it's like a rinse cycle in a washing machine that dispenses crap instead of soap. the record it seems to get praise because people say it bridged punk and reggae. which is to say, some edgy brits smoked a bunch of marijueeda and then the record sold cos it had titties on the cover. the musicians are at least competent, which is unexpected. and they managed to keep the record more interesting than boring.

(1 day late, catch up right now)

Well my phone is busted so I haven't been able to stop by as often as I'd hoped. Thinking that whole situation will be resolved later this week tho.

Anyway, some highlights from lately are A Thousand Leaves (one of my favorites from SY already), Ode to Quetzalcoatl (Crazy spiritual psych folk with a backstory involving a cult), Branches (potential jazz AOTY), Escondido Sessions (dope psych / jam stuff from a local band) and Coin Coin Chapter One (one of the most absolutely astonishing jazz performances I've ever listened to).

But yeah, ask away if you have questions or give recs if you feel like it.

before I get memed on I want to clarify I know that washing machines don't dispense soap
but the sentiment stands
i'm just burned out after being sick in bed for 2 days, studying for a maths exam, and being subjected to this bad music
i'm now listening to Jim Noir and my situation has not improved much

WEEEEEE
ARE SO YOUNNNNNG
AT HEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAART

this one?
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/dog_eat_dog_f3/dog_eat_dog/
added ;3

>new 5.0
weeew

right on.

jazz recs please

the way out by archie shepp

henlo
Andrew Hill - Black Fire
Anthony Braxton - The Montreux / Berlin Concerts
John Handy - Live at the Monterey Jazz Festival
Horace Tapscott - The Dark Tree
Joe Harriott - Hum Dono

don't listen to FISH he has notoriously bad taste, except where his taste overlaps with mine those are flukes and should be ignored

*the way ahead

i had the books on the brain (nerd)

i wanna see what you think abt the way ahead actually

I don't usually take recs but it is already on my wishlist so I'll see what I can do bub

fuck compose, fuck melody, dedicated to no one

youtube.com/watch?v=n7z-XO8hvLY&list=LL3WUeKSt0H64tVBIQakwnBA&index=1 ah whatever, i'll post this.

Nick Drake Bryter Layter
fuck you Accel

Ghost emoji > cow emoji

Wtf I didn't know that, how did I not notice it seems so obvious now

So glad you liked Branches! I'm still trying to get more people into it

w-well
ngl I was surprised you chose that one

Hecker - Articulação (2014)
>spoken word

I just don't get it. That's about all I can say.

qebrµs - ⊶⊑∷⌊∴⊹∵⌉∷⊒⊷ (2012)
>glitch, flashcore

Incredibly cool, fast-paced, out-there beats. I've never listened to anything having to do with "flashcore" before, but I guess it's a more complex, insane form of IDM. This album fits that definition perfectly, it's hellish, relentless, and a blast to listen to. Some ambient sections bring the album down quite a bit, never enough to really hurt the experience as a whole.

3.0-

Monopoly Child Star Searchers - Aquedects of Channel Island (2009)
>ambient, hypnagogic pop

Absolutely beautiful. I can't even deny that this amounts to little more than the same tones repeated ad nauseum, but it's so beautiful and dreamy and pleasant to listen to. Ambient hypnagogic pop is such a great mix.

3.0+

thanks rod, this was really fun to do.

Various Artists - Blasting Voice (2012)
>UK bass, sound collage

Really good way to cap the chart off. Covers pretty much all the bases of post-internet music, focusing mainly on more danceable stuff yet occasionally drifting off into more experimental, ambient territory. It has its fair share of misfires, most notably the horrendous "One in a Million", but when it hits it HITS, and as a whole its a remarkable compilation.

3.0+

this is next

do you purposefully pick bad music just to give them bad ratings for your curve

im not sure what exactly on here you'd consider especially bad

Do you like any of Hecker's other stuff? Sun Pandemonium is a trip and ASFMS fucked with my head in ways I didn't think an album could.

i've actually never heard any of his other stuff. I should definitely get on it though, seems like I'd like it a lot more.

Goddamn man didn't you just start this?

I'd recommend Sun, it's the most accessible of the two I posted.

you fkn know it

Yeah, it's one of those rare albums that has absolutely everything I want. Super spiritual vibe lots of political commentary and a huge spread of jazz styles. I'm thinking of putting together a review for it soon t b h, just gotta take some time to process everything more.

Definitely think more people should know about Branches, it's pretty terrific and somehow flew under my radar. It's exactly the type of avant-garde / free jazz that I love and it reminded me a lot of the bluesier Ornette/Sam Rivers types.

Thanks for the rec man, wouldn't have found it otherwise

alright, i'll check it out, thanks!

but nick drake bryter later isnt on this chart

you liked /f the most which is what counts

Is it true that if you learn music theory, writing music is just like writing code?
t. autistic programmer

/f was soooo fucking GOOD

If you could rec similar albums to it lmk. My jazz collection is still pretty thin, and the only similar thing to that style I have is Ayler and Braxton

Just because you know computer programming doesnt mean your programming isn't shit

Did somebody say moo?
youtube.com/watch?v=DQZ42I1-gc8

of course my device breaks down three days into my calendar :-(

This album is like Mario Kart + Berlin School
Don't expect serene loops, the first song kicked me in the dick
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/dada_f3/dada/

Fuck

Divine Styler – Spiral Walls Containing Autumns of Light (1992)
>Abstract Hip Hop, Experimental Hip Hop, Spoken Word
While the rapping has an oldschool tinge to it (which is not necessary a bad thing), the production is unconventional, to say the least, and defies all attempts to categorize it. The subject matter is mostly focused on Islam and spiritualism and sometimes seems like incoherent rambling (again, not necessary a bad thing). I definitely need more listens to rate this properly, but so far I like it. 3/6

Crime – San Francisco’s STILL Doomed (1978)
>Punk, Garage Rock
Pretty fun archival album from a Punk band that never officially released an album. The second half is much worse than the first (also recording-quality wise) and really drags this down. 3/6

Various Artists – Legends of Benin (2009)
>Afro-Funk, Afrobeat
Decent compilation of afrobeat songs from Benin, but it doesn’t reach the same levels of raw energy like other compilations from the same region like African Scream Contest (Benin & Togo) or Ghana Sounds. The highlights here are the songs featuring Orchestre Poly-Rythmo de Cotonou (a group I was already familiar with and that is highly recommended for anyone into Afrobeat or Afro-Funk). 2/6

If anybody has a better suggestion for a christmas name I'm open for recs.

Here's my 4x4 for the last 7 days. About half new listens. Can you guys help me with folk recs?

I fucking love this guys music, give it a try if you can.

open.spotify.com/artist/11dMqVZY4PHgVL80tejvHK

Anyone give me some recommendations? Recently got into synth pop (I really liked wave rider - isidor) and I fucking adore music from Omar Souleyman.

August and After - Cascades
Based on Peasant I'd say The Magnetic Fields but I might be biased since I love their songs
I also like Renato Dall'Ara - Los Campensinos! but im biased

Newfag question but where do you find all these albums and such? I wanted to get into new kind of music but I just don't know where to start.

What I typically do is go here to RYM, find my favorite album, find the people that also rated it a 5/5, go to their 5/5, put all of it into a backlog, and repeat until you have enough music to last a life time.

thanks user

ricebeans pls rec

or did I miss it?

i can't think of anything still! i'm sorry i just don't have a single thing!!!
just decide for me pick anything from here (other than mosisac) rateyourmusic.com/collection/ricebeansandegg/strm_relyear/2017/1
and here's 2 released not added to rym yet
emamouse.bandcamp.com/album/world-gazer
The Reference Assemblies - com.ep

i can't think of anything help choose for me aaa

anything rated a 3.0 or higher******

like it's been driving me insane i just can't choose something ive been constantly thinking bout it these past few days

Hmmm, okay. Some stuff I think is somewhat similar:

- Don Cherry - Complete Communion

- Ornette Coleman - Change of the Century / At the Golden Circle

- Sam Rivers - Contours / Fushia Swing Song

no
although its nice if you want to make music in trackers or stuff like Supercollider or something

Welp, I'll do it for ye then.

boomp

>Aphrodite's Child - 666 (1972)

I put this one off for a while. Plenty reviewers and collectors out there have a chip on their shoulder about this becoming RYM canon while other collectors’ masterpieces remain in obscurity. So be it. I held off because I found “The Four Horsemen” to be lame and I still hold that that’s not where the spirit of this album lies. This is predominantly an early prog record with light psychedelic touches throughout—namely the structure, which I’ll talk about shortly. It takes a few tracks to get through some admittedly dime-a-dozen prog before using “The Four Horseman” and its coda to launch into a 50-minute-long continuous suite that incorporates new age, acid rock, musique concrete, and avant-garde. The vision isn’t far off from what Zappa and the Mothers were doing around this time with long prog suites and so-called jazz rock or fusion incorporating eastern elements.

The psychedelia is mainly present in its structure: conventional pop songwriting that ramps up its intensity with extended solos and ambient effects before eventually deconstructing into a primal percussive section in the third quarter before emerging once again with convention. As others point out, and as is all too often the case with double albums, a bit could have been cut in the final edit, namely the 20-mintue track that follows the suite, “All the Seats Weee Occupied.”
7.5/10

Fairly new. Any of y'all ever listened to Chuck Ragan?

>Suffocate for Fuck Sake - Blazing Fires and Helicopters on the Front Page of the Newspaper. There's a War Going on and I'm Marching in Heavy Boots.
Atmosphere, wall of sound, spoken word, screamed out emotions, its almost like this albums made for me.
8/10
>Ulver - Bergtatt: Et eeventyr i 5 capitler
I prefer a dirtier black metal sound but this is still great. Great instrmentation, great vocals, it hits like a truck but can go back to a nice serene atmosphere if it wants to. Great stuff.
7/10
>武満徹 - In an Autumn Garden
Beautifal music with some great atmosphere, can be a bit dull at times but overall good.
5/10

>I prefer a dirtier black metal sound
Listen to Nattens Madrigal

Fun Fact: Infinity (the orgasm song) was originally supposed to be 40 minutes long, but the label said didn't allow it.

Yet it still goes on for a minute too long

Can someone tell me what exactly is so special about this album? I enjoy it decently, but I can't find any good analysis of it anywhere other than "romantic" and "beautiful" tossed around a lot as well as a lot of fidgeting around with the lyrics which is pretty irreverent to my enjoyment of it. To me, this is a great collection of songs with a few noticeably okay/sub-par moments. What exactly makes it one of the best rock/prog albums ever other than because Scaruffi says so? Not really trying to have a debate or anything, I just can't find a worthwhile analysis of this anywhere, which is strange for something considered a rock masterpiece by so many.

glad you actually liked it!
Hecker's stuff gets by on its atmospheric density and high concepts to me, so i get ya there.
surprised by that aqueducts rating desu. figured you wouldn't be into the hyper lo-fi sound quality, but i forgot how much you like gospel recordings that are as much indeterminant tape noise as they are vocal folk tunes.

Nice!!! Glad you liked SFFS. The translated lyrics are here: flashlyrics.com/lyrics/suffocate-for-fuck-sake

Also if you want Ulver but as raw as possible, listen to Nattens Madrigal like AnBro said. That's raw shit

people overall like it more than most other albums

big ups to whoever it was that recommended this
really interesting ideas here

>of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?
Amazingly fun instrumentation combined with amazingly sad lyrics is a strong combo for me. Also those transitions are oh so smooth. I need to listen to the rest of of Montreal's discog cause this is fantastic.
8/10
>Sd Laika - That's Harakiri
Filthy does not do this album justice. Some of the dirtiest UK bass I have ever heard that still has an amazing groove to it. Great stuff.
7/10
>Immolation - Close to a World Below
I am not a death metal fan so this didn't really do anything for me. For me death metal starts sound the same after the third song. But before the third song this hits hard and fast. It just isn't for me.
5/10

It's one of my favorite albums and I love it for the lyrics, they make me feel emotions

Thanks so much for the translated lyrics. That'll raise the album even higher.

>but i forgot how much you like gospel recordings that are as much indeterminant tape noise as they are vocal folk tunes.
yeah you're not wrong lmao

24 hours left to join

mega.nz/#F!EV8CwbRJ!FxsUAHZN6SbtKVVBpGNh1A

Post your Spotify 2017 wrapped'''s my friends

Is that the canadian film director Michael Snow or is it just a coincidence?

Yep, same dude.

you're welcome i think. might have been jangle.
nope same guy. you can really hear it in the music too.
the start of she's a rejector is so choice

oh man, gotta listen to that

Nice, didn't really expect you to like Immolation anyway.
And I agree, Hissing Fauna has the best transitions out of any pop album I've heard. Satanic Panic in the Attic is very similar in style so you'll for sure like it too. If you want something a bit weirder go with Paralytic Stalks. oM have a very strong discog over all but with a couple duds.

man, and here I though Hipgnosis had been so clever

Glad that I could please, definitely need to check out Satanic Panic in the Attic soon.

the first track (piece?) is probably the best. second track is quite funny, not big on the last one

What about the third one? Or are you referring to the edition in which the first two tracks are fused into a ~45min long monolith?

oh yeah, that's the version I have

>other than because Scaruffi says so?
What more reason do you need?

posting the cover text if anyone wants to read it, don’t think its online anywhere

Thanks, I've been looking for it and couldn't find the middle bit

haha i get it, he writes what he would write about while writing about it at the same time, genius...

all your emotions are memes

All emotions are memes. The only valid appreciation of art is pure formalist analysis. Like a robot. Beep boop.

>May Blitz - May Blitz (1970)

Yeah, it’s a hard rock power trio, but don’t be misled, every track seems to feature overdubbing plus some heavy effects at times (even with both acoustic and electric guitar at points), so it’s quite full sounding. Hard rock may be an apt general description, though this does show a full spectrum—of prog, heavy psych, and blues—as well a general mix of ballads and atmospheric pieces. The mood throughout is consistently serious and apocalyptic, which lends to a proto-doom metal sound. Shows quite a bit more creativity and subtlety and resorts less to shredding in comparison to some other hard rock power trios out there.
6.5/10

>Afterglow - Afterglow (1967)

I suspect much of the popularity on this sought-after LP is due to uber-psychedelic cut “Susie’s Gone,” which is featured on various comps, like the legendary Beyond the Calico Wall. And what a mindfuck it is as a perverse interpretation of pop (or is that rock?) with an effects-drenched spoken word vocal track over a simple discordant guitar and organ track set to a crashing rhythm section. I’m not sure what to make of it, but it sure sticks out like a sore thumb in an otherwise un-psychedelic, sometimes passable sunshine pop album. A really rudimentary understanding of pop melody. Some great Beach Boys-esque retro flavor, no doubt, so if you dig that, this may be interesting.
6/10

Which nirvana is edgier to like?

>Nirvana - The Story of Simon Simopath (1967)

Look, it’s little to no psych influence. One may be misled by the psychedelic cover art and how often this is grouped with other psychedelic pop of the era. If one were to get technical, some of the interesting (still subtle) chord progressions aren’t unlike psych folk group Incredible String Band at their tamer moments. All things considered, it’s less whimsical than one might expect from a British psych-leaning pop group (though saccharine sweet and cutesy for those averse). On the other hand, the sound is more typical of 60s baroque or chamber pop, which is to say still very understated. The mood here is a palpable mix of quaint comfort and sadness in the melodies, bittersweet nostalgia. I find the outcome supremely calming. There’s some elaborate, fantastical narrative in the lyrics for those interested in something like that.
7/10