shit's too broad to give an opinion desu

Wipers and The Fall

Tie between the Bunnymen and The Chameleons

PiL, clearly

The Sound or The Chameleons

Stand aside, plebs.

>they keep reposting 30-year old shit
Pathetic.

Post-Punk peaked in the late 70s and early 80s. Fuck your hipster revival shit.

crap

>probably only heard Isreal or Spellbound
>hasn't explored their massive discography

Charm me with your Ape bands from this century

Minutemen

Probably Passions, Echo, Cocteau Twins, Siouxsie and pic related

Juju and the scream are boring and forgettable albums

IIIII DAAAAAAREEEEE YOUUUUUUU
TO BE REAL

They build on everything that was great from the bands posted here and take it to the next level:
youtube.com/watch?v=1YUE2kxxrq4

Juju is one of the greatest goth/post-punk albums of all time. What are you on about?

TO TOOOOUCH

the foo fighters

A FLICKERING FLAME

>next level
The fucking song is literally nothing catchy, has generic vocals and instruments sounding like the 80s without the 80s production
Fucking next level your ass
The little melodic hook at the end picks up the song a bit which still isnt enough to make it anything worthwhile

THE PAAAAAAAANGS
THE PANGS OF DARK DELIGHT

That's true, but have you ever listened to The Soft Moon?
thesoftmoon.bandcamp.com/album/the-soft-moon

That's just one song and they have literally hundreds. Anything is better that playing and parroting same bands over and over though.

Okay, I'll give you that. The Soft Moon is great.

Which seems like what they are doing with this song (provided any other songs of theirs sound vastly different), and it seems that all of those revival acts don't have anything new to offer making me stuck listening to older stuff whilst searching for modern acts that could actually grip my ears for longer than 2 seconds

Of course that kvb song isn't bad but it's basically lazy songwriting, and the same applies to the soft moon which I think you mentioned above, and shit like the horrors too

What is she looking at?

Don't forget Black Marble either.
blackmarble.bandcamp.com/album/its-immaterial

U2

The Birthday Party

That wasn't me posting soft moon, but they are ok I guess. I saw them live and was less than impressed unlike the kvb.
I do agree with you about the modern revival acts in general doing a poor job, but I bet there are some out there and it would be cool if we could post more than just bands from the 80s when talking about post-punk.

Soviet Soviet is one of the better revival bands. I think they blow bands like Interpol out of the water.

Thoughts on Drab Majesty?

not super memorable outside a few songs which I really love

This is the greatest album to come out of anything punk related

What did he mean by this?

Deceit is the greatest experimental post-punk album ever made

Seriously no mention of Joy Division?

Joy division is too patrician for these plebs.

Cocteau Twins. Specifically this song:
youtube.com/watch?v=nCuvTKM04Jk

Joy Division is ok. If you're under the impression and they're the best goth band out there, then you probably haven't listened to very many.

>joy division is okay
>posts cocteau twins claiming they're superior

The Clash

It's a numbers game. JD had two masterpieces, CT had at least four (and that's not counting EPs). I don't make the rules, buddy.

>post-punk
yeah no

My fucking band faggots tonguesofire.bandcamp.com/

Jds albums are about 8/10 each tHe coccs clock in at around 4-5 at their peak

You can go on being wrong, I guess.

Joy Division was some pretty amateur-ish, not great musicians doing a boring version of punk rock. It's alright for angsty pop music. But it's nothing special. Cocteau Twins, on the other hand, were genuinely wonderful musicians with a singer doing something entirely original. They're objectively the better band.

Jeopardy >>>>> H&H

The best Post Punk band

These threads are tough because post-punk and post-hardcore are clearly the most interesting corners of popular music. There's just so much experimentation and so many juicy bits, it's hard to pick a favorite. My vote is probably Dub Housing, but you could make a case for 20 other albums, and it'd be tough to argue against them.

Cocteau Twins brought an approach that was so unique that it was off-putting. That she was singing pretty much syllables in a borderline holy voice is initially very hard to get your head around and it's hard to cross that threshold of embracing and giving yourself over to it. But no one I know that let themselves get to that point has ever looked back.

These as well.

Id rather listen to an amateur guy with a unique voice accompanied by catchy riffage rather than a generic feMale voice that's not catchy at all

>Not catchy at all
youtube.com/watch?v=VhqLE7O_FTA

The Wake. Here comes everybody is a golden album

>all these posts
>no Gang of Four
baka my head

Compare that to day of the lords and it's puny, generic ape-Ass tomfoolery
by the way The fucks wrong witchu praising the joys saying they released two masterpieces and then calling it a boring version of punk rock, you fucking think every record to have ever been put out is a masterpiece of some sort? Intolerable

idk but it's definitely not the Cure

candidates:
The Ex - Mudbird Shivers
Gang of Four - Entertainment!
The Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy
The Pop Group - Y

In fact, I just made up my mind (pic related)

It's a real shame that Go4 didn't develop in as consistent a way as some of their contemporaries, like Killing Joke

Have a video:
youtube.com/watch?v=sPJHQmJAiKA

I'm really drunk
I love fucking love Syrah
I've never been into drinking alone before
Syrah will be my undoing

Lowlife
The Bolshoi
Wipers

I've never really considered Wipers a post-punk band. I know they're dark, and they're obviously way smarter (and noisier) than most of their contemporaries, but their sound is so earthy and garage-y that I never felt comfortable grouping them in with cold, mechanical, atmospheric groups like Joy Division. I don't know what to call them - they're too early and much like 70s punk to be called post-hardcore, and "proto-grunge" isn't a thing...

You can call them what Greg Sage calls them, just a punk band.

Hang in there buddy, don't ever think you're alone out there.

I wasn't the original user shitting all over JD, I just saw you claiming that Cocteau Twins weren't catchy when the album Treasure is filled with catchy and melodic songs. JD and CTs are both good, just on opposite sides of the post-punk spectrum.

Bumping because post-punk is better than punk.

...yet all we have for both are just bands from 40+ years ago.

Mgmt.

Why....

Probably Wire or PiL.

Love Demonstration to death.
It's derivative for sure but it's the sound I can't get enough of.

New Order, fella.

Marry me mate.

Scary Monsters is better and is more post punk

This, early New Order is GOAT

youtube.com/watch?v=PZyrXZ-xouI

The Police
Come on guys I'm, ashamed of you

what genre set does Lodger have?

poppy gay band and full on soyboy

The raincoats are the most underrated

RANK THE CURE ALBUMS IN THIS CHAIN
fuck off cunt

whos your post punk husbando?

pic related would kill a nigga to fucc young peter murphy

hooky > steve >>>> gillian >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> shit >>> barny

Satire

debut > all other cure albums

>adams tshirt

no CT album is as good as either JD albums. even les bains douches is better than all CT albums.

i wouldn't go as far as to say they weren't catchy. cherry coloured funk has the best bridge into the last chorus of any pop song i've ever heard. it is genius.

This is also the only song by them that has 'grown' on me (I've given the album and some others a few tries during my existence) and I do like it, a genuinely good song, but the other songs are a few levels lower in terms of songwriting, just nothing really gripping

>TFW you get an interest in listening to post punk after listening to Bjorks early work in KUKL and Purrkur Pillnikk
>There just so happens to be a thread with people sperging about their favourite albums
This is why Sup Forums is the best board.
Entertainment is great!

>eye roll arrested development gif
we are reaching bottom levels of T that shouldn't be possible

The Fall. Thought they were crap at first, but when it clicked I realised they were indomitable.

the fall are quite possibly the greatest band of all time

they weren't crap at first wtf you on about

>teenage girl who grew up with an iPad and has no attention span