Why didn't the Alien kill Jonesy? It had plenty of chances

Why didn't the Alien kill Jonesy? It had plenty of chances.

Other urls found in this thread:

dailyscript.com/scripts/alien_early.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

why haven't you killed yourself? you've had plenty of chances.

Lmao have you even read the book? The movie was a disaster, the book makes far more sense

Why kill every living being in an isolated area when your goal should be to make more aliens?

Only Queens can lay eggs, so shouldn't the Xeno try to lure them back to the eggs so they can get face fucked instead of killing them?

If a single Xeno is just a killing machine, what's the point of it's existence? It can't reproduce or just "BECOME" a Queen. Shouldn't it's purpose be to get as many nearby lifeforms infected as possible?

>book

Ever did you tried to pet strange cat

When the first movie was made the life cycle and ecology of the Alien wasn't established, as shown by he deleted scene of it making more eggs out of Dallas and Brett. The queen thing wasn't even considered yet. So I'm just wondering why it, being nothing more than a mindless killing creature in the first movie, didn't kill the cat.

Deleted scenes are not canon.

That's the point. The alien had NO goal higher than killing given that the only scene of it wanting to reproduce was deleted.

jones' reflexes are quicker than the alien's bite attack

Then perhaps the Xeno simply didn't view the cat as a threat.

We don't go around trying to kill all bacteria, or tiny insects, or all spiders. Prey below a certain size aren't worth hunting, biologically speaking.

Since body size is exponential, a creature the size of the alien could definitely see a cat as "tiny insect" size.

Aliens dont kill, they merely give you a killer headache while they glue you to the wall where you will await a mouthful of facehugger cock.

That said facehugger semen will cause a warrior alien to grow in your tummy.
however a facehugger throatfucking a dog will get you a loyal alien dog thingy.

Now imagine what would happen if a cat got a load of facehugger semen..

Thats right! The most unloyal catalienthing ever!

That cat alien would totally abandon hhe hive and the queen if it got a better deal on another ship/planet.

Thats why aliens are born with one simple rule.

>stay the fuck away from cats.

>He thinks that a mere xeno could kill the cat that's always watching

I've been thinking about Alien intelligence lately, which goes to OP's question.

Aliens seem to be quite smart, and exhibit hive social behaviors, and they clearly "communicate" to some degree - this is shown in Aliens when the queen waves off her last guardians, sensing that Ripley is an immediate threat which threatens to destroy the eggs, and also in the terrible Res, when three Aliens seem to "deliberate" amongst themselves, and eventually reason that the unlucky third should be killed in order to produce acid-through-the-floor, which provides a means of escape.

Still, this is quite complex social behavior, but it is not necessarily on the level of /human/ social behavior as such. My point being that Alien sociality and intelligence is probably on a level with higher mammals/animals like chimps, crows, lions, etc, and yet still below that of humans. This is consistent with what is shown in the films, though there is always an element of mystery. To use a later fictional example, the Aliens are "about as smart" as the raptors in Jurassic Park, which can explore, reason a bit, and don't easily fall for tricks. But still, they are both brute beasts. /And I don't recall ever seeing an Alien use a tool, apart from stowing away in elevators/spacecraft/.

My larger point is that I suspect that the Alien was smart enough to recognize that the other large animals were its immediate threat, which would need to be picked off one by one. It was thus quite unconcerned with the smaller animal, though obviously annoyed with it in one Director's Cut shot.

This is an interesting post which goes right to the life cycle of the Aliens, which is still a confused and gooey process, but was only partially explored in the original film.

cont.

The director commentary states that it was supposed to implied that the alien infected the cat which could be used in a potential sequel.

Jonesy was in cahoots with the xenomorph

he knew about the bonus situation

Jones was the killer all along.

Maybe Jonesy was able to hide in smaller spaces unreachable to the alien

This is exactly what I thought was happening at the end and I got all hyped up because ripley took the cat back to her apartment and I thought the movie was going to be the aliens getting loose in a highly populated city, which would have been a pretty large and impressive endeavor for an 80s movie.

But instead we got giant robot fights and alien queen lore rape

I assume the cat is too small to carry a baby alien in it so it didnt bother , it had plenty of food already

The scene was conspicuously un-deleted for its 2003 debut.

It's worth mentioning that I've seen Alien in the theater twice. Both times were the 2003 D.C., containing the egg sequence. The "D.C." now has a certain standard vogue for "the latest and greatest", although the 1979 original is the better cut.

The point is that there are currently two "real" versions of the film, which are part of the public consciousness of the film, in much the same way that many of you have grown up with the extra CG crap in the Star Wars real-movies. To dismiss footage from a particular cut as not being canon, when it has the director's quasi-blessing as a cash-in alternate version, is disingenuous.

This goes now to what I wanted to continue to develop above. The difference betwen teh two cuts would seem to suggest two life cycle models, but in truth they are not mutually exclusive, as later gooey confusion has shown. "They're Aliens, I ain't gotta explain shit" might be an excuse. Perhaps a single drone, /when no queen is present/, yet has a latent capacity to convert biomass into eggs, in an effort to continuate the species. The thing grows from a snake into a man in a few hours, this is no great imaginative leap. It must feed on the very air, or something.

Maybe it's just me but I always saw it as respect for another predator.

The final act of Alien, the whole creative process involved with it, had a number of treatments and revisions, all the way through production itself.

In particular, an original script version had something like: Ripley blows up the ship and kills the alien, records outro, goes to bed, the end. Ridley's genius was to recognize that the picture should not end there, and so what was eventually settled on was what Ridley has consistently called a "fourth act", where the alien stows away, makes a surprise entrance, and must be expelled one last time. James Cameron literally repeats this exact same idea, and in the exact same way, for Aliens.

Ridley's budget was short, but he lobbied for the idea near end-game, and made it work.

Other alternate ideas about how to end the film have included the possibility of Jonesy being impregnated, as you've said. Another idea was for the alien to pop out, kill Ripley, and literally start speaking in her voice, communicating to Earth.

I would've rendered the bonus clause void.

That cat is probably dead by now.

How big a bonus were we talking about, anyway?

it's entirely possible

We can discuss that after we take back off, user. Now go fix the ship.

Brett finds Jonesy near both the chestburster skin and the fully grown xenomorph. It isn't farfetched that Jonesy had a run in with it as it was growing but deemed the alien deemed Jonesy non threatening or far too quick and risky to chase.

Either way when Brett wakes the alien it realizes that he's looking for Jonesy, not itself. Making Jonesy a bait worth keeping alive even if he hisses agressively at it. This is reflected later when the alien finds Jonesy in the pet container while looking for Ripley and decides to rest nearby, which happens to be in the shuttle.

Only reason I can think of why it went to the shuttle instead of where Ripley went is the noise. In the movie the self destruct alarm is noticeably damped inside the shuttle, which would make it a suitable resting place.

It probably has a few lives left

he thought Jonesy a cute

Also the Alien and cats share similarities in that they're ruthless and cruel predators. The cat probably enjoyed watching his strange buddy at work.

Because the aliens are feline

Because he promised the alien his share of the bonus

thats a cute pussy

Space cats age different

That cat hasn't been born yet.

Not to mention all that space veterinary care.

Kane was one of those faggots who's all like "lol why don't i care when i see humans die, but get really sad when I see an animal get hurt?"

those traits carried over to his xeno.

This is probably the most logical answer, and its senses probably helped it avoid the alien all together.

>probably
This movie came out almost 40 years ago. That cat has been dead for several decades.

Cats arn't a threat? The same way Bears don't go around massacring hummingbirds.

The alien was a cat person

It was literally one flick of the tongue away from killing Jonesy at the end. Unless it thought the container was a trap or defense mechanism of some sort it's pretty clear it had no hostile intentions.

kekismus maximus

>In particular, an original script version had something like: Ripley blows up the ship and kills the alien, records outro, goes to bed, the end. Ridley's genius was to recognize that the picture should not end there, and so what was eventually settled on was what Ridley has consistently called a "fourth act", where the alien stows away, makes a surprise entrance, and must be expelled one last time.

maybe scott has claimed this but it isn't true, going back for the cat and the alien stowing away on the lifeboat are in o'bannon's starbeast drafts.

This actually really made me think

Glad to hear it. Now, because my post really made you think, perhaps we could discuss a sort of incentive or additional reward?

The xenomorph didn't kill Jonesy because it thought cats are somehow part of the human life cycle.

>going back for the cat and the alien stowing away on the lifeboat are in o'bannon's starbeast drafts.

are you like a film historian?

op here, I like this answer. I have deposited three (3) cookies into your account, based user.

I love this board

How did Burke release 2 facehuggers without getting jumped himself?

And why did neither Burke or the facehuggers notice Ripley and Newt under the bed?

Ever seen a baby that didn't like cats or found them curious?

Really makes you think.

You are correct with respect to this:

dailyscript.com/scripts/alien_early.html

There is even a helpful sketch which proves that you are, again, correct.

Moreover, I had tried to look at a secondary re-write to try to make my point, but even that has a version of the alien stowaway. So without any significant qualification, you're just plain right.

Still, making Alien was a creative process with some people who didn't like each other, so whether it's simply Ridley self-aggrandizing or otherwise, it's worth exploring exactly how Ridley comes to this commonly repeated story of his.

Perhaps they only had so much funding, and the story element was supposed to be cut, or something, and it /was/ Ridley who lobbied for the (original" story element to remain. I seem to remember something about a tight budget of about 8M being close to out, but now we know to take Ridley with a grain of salt.

OK, Alien expert, all memeing aside. Can we discuss the bonus situation?

Jonesy is actually Immunity Cat.

nice

How is that different from The Thing? They probably ditched that sequel idea after The Thing came out and rendered it unoriginal

You seem to be confus.

Alien involves parasites that maliciously use and thuswise kill their hosts, breeding animals that go on to kill the surrounding animals for whatever reason - food, threat removal, nest building, etc. yet at every stage the parasite's instances are /distinct organisms/, although they obvioulsy take genetic cues from their host.

The Thing, by contrast, goes much further than the Alien's more convoluted life cycle, and in a much more linear and efficient fashion - the Thing /pretends to be the host organism/, indeed the Thing is not a parasite in the sense that the Alien is, but is a pure predator that seeks to kill and remove threats, using its ability to imitate to aid its goal. The Thing /is/ a /distinct organism/, and yet it insinuates itself so perfeclty into the victim's milleu that it is often not understood as such until it is too late.

So just because some alien spore-pod lays an egg in a cat's chest cavity doesn't mean that it's behaving like JC's "The Thing" all of a sudden. The Thing is a thousand more times more terrifying. Aliens can be killed, even at pyrhhic loss. If the Thing touches a population center, the whole species is done, and it's just a matter of going through the motions.

Ever played Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance? There's your answer.

True, but the UK version was a LOT truer to the source material at least.

>The alien speaking in a human voice

I wouldn't have survived my childhood, my nightmares wouldn't have let me

this, it's just some small creature.

>yfw Jonesy taught the baby alien how to hunt like a cat

I now feel bad that I missed this touching montage.

"Go forth my adopted xeno-son, and exterminate the human oppressors!"

"Hai Jonesy-Senpai! ^.^"

Everything you need to know in pic related.

better yet maybe even aliens enjoy el gatos.

>Jonesy is the over-arching villain of the series

oh my

Joke's on you, I already did kill myself!

Now I'm in hell and my eternal torment is to read and post on Sup Forums.

I've tried maybe 10 times over the past two years to get a Jonesy thread to work
why the fuck do you guys only like cats when I don't post it?

Loving all these ALIEN threads lately. Keep up the good work.

fpbp

No Alien Thread is complete without mentioning the best Alien game ever made

Burke released them because they were under the bed. Facehuggers were just retarded I guess (though I've always interpreted it as only being a few minutes since they were released before Ripley and Newt wake up)

Those huggies were in those tubes for months and probably took them a while to get moving again. Had they been "fresh" the scene wouldn't have worked.

Nostromo Logs from Alien Isolation.

This is Captain Dallas, logging an initial report from the return log of our Thedus voyage. When we get back home I want a meeting with a shipping coordinator. My usual Science Officer has been replaced - no reason given. The new guy is more than capable, I'm sure, but only getting two days' notice for this kinda thing is crazy. I'd just like an explanation. We'll be ready for our load when we get the call.
Dallas, Nostromo Captain, signing off.

Science Officer's initial log. I've been installed aboard the Nostromo. All the relevant paperwork has been signed and I have access
to the ship's MU-TH-UR 6000 mainframe. Captain Dallas and the Executive Officer seem... put out by my appearance, but that's perhaps to be expected. All that's left is to hope for a productive journey. Ash signing off.

This is Lambert confirming the delayed pick-up of the refinery we're taking back to Earth. I've entered initial coordinates for the edge of the Epsilon Reticuli using the established haulage route. My next entry will be confirmation of our flightplan to the Sol system.
Lambert out.

An alienkitten would be cute and lethal as heck, though.

Ripley's asked me to log a report on what happened to the umbilicus when we hooked up onto the refinery. I'll tell you what happened. Me and Brett, we're holding this place together with our bare arms. You'd think millions of tons of ore would get someone from the front deck, someone on a full share, down here with us. Y'now, checkin' up on the stuff we need. You want to get out of the system on schedule next time? You put the Nostromo in drydock for a month, you wait till we're done with it, you pay what we're due. Parker out.

Agreed, I love AVP2.

Sounds like the system check went okay. Some ducts still need rerouting but, as I keep getting told, there's not much we can do about it while the Nostromo is in the air. Parker's coming up with the sign-off sheets, but I know Ripley wants to chew his ear about the secondary load unit. I'm gonna stay out of it for now, they know what they're doing.
Dallas, Nostromo Captain, signing off.

i love jonesy
no matter how scary it gets in space with an ayylium chasing you, you have a kitters to keep you company

also OP the box jonesy was in looked bulletproof, like it was the most solidly built cat transport i've ever seen committed to film

We're heading to the edge of the system. Ripley's given me list of stuff she says needs doing, says MOTHER's not gonna let us hit the gas if we don't fix the secondary load unit. Helluva lot of work for a routine flight. Dallas, if you somehow found the time in your schedule to listen in on this, Brett and me - we're working double-time. If you don't come good with a bonus we'll be taking it to the union.

Right. Finishing up here. Kane asked if we could fix it so the heating came on before we get outta the ole freezerinos. Parker said no way - not our job. Next they'll be asking for monogrammed towels and a massage. So we didn't do that; we told them that.
Brett - over and out.

What did Fincher mean by this?

look at this fuggn thing

This is Lambert, Navigator on the USCSS Nostromo registering that all navigation beacons and Sol system co-ordinates have now been verified by MOTHER. Antarctica Traffic control will get our call on October 22nd, or a few hours on either side. Signing off.

>Revengeance
What kind of a faggoty anime title is that?

Pre-hypersleep health checks have been performed on the entire crew including, after some persistence from the engineer's staff, the
ship's cat. Everyone regular, present and correct - as set out in the report I've just logged with MOTHER. I have a little more work to do
setting up my equipment and initializing systems, but otherwise we're ready to go.

This is Dallas, I'm about to broadcast the Nostromo report packet back to the Sol system before we hit the pods. Nearest open relay station looks to be Sevastopol. All things being well you'll hear from us once we reach the edge of Sol. Don't miss us too much.
Dallas out.

Because he's just so darn cute.

>ywn journey into deep space in hibernation
why even try

The UK version was just a poor remake of the original Charlie Chaplain film.