/Prod/

Surprisingly Good Edition

Talk about music production, composition, songwriting and audio engineering.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That is considered self promotion and will usually result in a bad feedback.

RESOURCES:

Sound Design:

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>Rocket Powered Sound (Constant quality uploads of various EDM sounds in Serum with explanations that help make something unique)
youtube.com/channel/UCFReVt5TAC1zGnuNkgHw-fg

>Syntorial (widely considered the best place to go to learn synthesis)
syntorial.com/

>Mr. Bill (Ableton based, some of the best sound design tutorials on the planet. Aimed more towards IDM-type stuff. He also posts his music here)
youtube.com/user/MrBillsTunes

>BusyWorksBeats (mostly talentless hack who explains hip hop in very elaborate ways in FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>Sadowick (mostly talentless hack who explains old school electronic music in very elaborate ways in Ableton)
youtube.com/user/SadowickProduction

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

MIXING:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

FL STUDIO:

>WarBeats (Good resource for getting comfortable in FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/omhznexs
clyp.it/kubkba12
youtube.com/watch?v=Cegje3tdCyY
clyp.it/4a53mgqu
clyp.it/jgqcylq2
instaud.io/1ukZ
clyp.it/2hy11tm0
greggman.com/downloads/examples/html5bytebeat/html5bytebeat.html#t=0&e=0&s=8000&bb=5d00000100090000000000000000141d0147688c219b930b2399bffff9550000
clyp.it/3ahvqgha
youtube.com/watch?v=mg7DaHwcrXE
clyp.it/ctz4xk3o?token=fbe41336668db447196a9b527939aa21
clyp.it/asarvrgf
youtube.com/watch?v=rYPcte3BlPw
alyjameslab.com/ajlab_files/TFI_20SOUND_20PACK.zip
mega.nz/#!3sFCDLrA!qk50i7s_MST833aQvxpLLiKuDwFBzcfwG24pifOagYw
dxconvert.martintarenskeen.nl/
clyp.it/vco0zdnt
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Who's your favorite musician /prod/?

Musician here can mean anybody involved in audio, people who play instruments, mixing/mastering engineers, sound designers, anybody

Hard question. Probably avalanches or handsomeboy technique

crazy frog

Michael jackson. I steal shamelessly from many artists but he barely inspires my music. I can't afford to imitate him without a 10/10 singer so I imitate wankers like Mike Patton instead.

Never heard of either

ALL THE RINGTONES

nice lmao. Wasn't expecting to see MJ

I think my favorite out of everyone is probably Aleksander Vinter (Savant, Datakrash, Blanco, etc) or good ol Buckethead

>Wasn't expecting to see the guy with the best selling album ever

As a solo artist, are you supposed to record guitars first, then vocals or the other way around?

...Or what are you actually supposed to do?

Doesn't matter but why the fuck would you record voice first?

anyone here ever tried producing on psychedelics such as lsd or mushrooms?

don't see a reason why you couldn't do either one first.

it's probably easier to record guitar first though.

yes on mushrooms and I didn't get anything done but it was amazing playing around with synths

Sounds like a waste of a trip desu but to each their own

clyp.it/omhznexs

I thought I'd try my hand at this production business. I wrote this sketch using a 12 tone method. The melody is as strictly 12 tone as it gets while the chords only borrow a note from the previous or next chord in sequence (as if its being held over) and the pizz is just arpeggios of the chords. How'd I do?

Production wise it lacks compression and humanization on the drums, among a lot of other stuff, but it has potential.

Ah sorry, I may have gotten ahead of myself here. I guess its fairly obvious but I'm just mostly interested in composition. However this chord progression was so smooth and "seventhy" that it was hard to resist turning it into a beat. And I sort of just thought, ah what the hell I'll post it in one of those /prod/ threads and see what people think.

Trying to shake off the rust of not producing for half a year and made some arpy prog electronic shit. How is it, particularly with regards to mixing/mastering?

clyp.it/kubkba12

mix wise its too wide for my liking. too much movement which makes following the sounds a bit exhausting.

Pretty comfy, but way too Q U I E T

It's generally a better idea to post and ask for something specific for feedback, such as "What part needs work more, composition or mixing?" or "Do you think this melody needs work?". This way, people will be more inclined to respond to you, and you won't get answers like "I like it" or "I don't like it", which really benefits nobody

reminds me of tron legacy, in a really, really good way. Master is pretty loud, but I like em loud so it didnt bother me too much. The mix seemed decent too, but maybe a bit too wide. I started feeling dizzy after a bit from the autopan. Add some drums to it man

No ye composition wise it sounds fine af. Production wise it's lacking a lot but that's why I said it had potential, if you upped your production skills you could be making really solid shit based on that clip.

yeh i was just asking i don't really do it

i sure enjoy sample digging tho

But I did just sort of want that kind of feedback. I've been listening to this thing for hours so I can hardly be objective about it. I just wanted to see if it sounded "professional". But now I'm seeing there is a lot more to this than slapping a drum loop on a composition. I got Dunning Kreuger'd.I had a hard enough time with composition and I thought maybe I finally "made it" but now I'm seeing this whole new mountain of stuff I hadn't given much consideration to.

>I thought maybe I finally "made it" but now I'm seeing this whole new mountain of stuff I hadn't given much consideration to.
its always going to be like this

>there is a lot more to this than slapping a drum loop on a composition
a high quality drum loop over a high quality composition will make you rich

this is a good example of how burying your head in theory leads to insanity

Thanks user, I think you've given me the push I need to dive headfirst into this stuff.

it was necessary. I wasn't being ambitious enough before I started writing everything in twelve tone. I actually didn't take to counterpoint or traditional theory too much. I did some part writing exercises but the problem is its designed to sound pleasant. I started seeing real gains when I tried to thwart a system specifically designed to render jarring music. I just wish I had this idea when I was 16-20 and slumming it in the snowflake school.

if you think writing everything in twelve tone is necessary than you're even more far gone than i thought

Well maybe not at this point but theory (of any kind for that matter) was what allowed me to progress musically. Anyone who avoids or derides theory is really hamstringing themselves. Music is math, okay bucko?

Music is math but listen to the clash. Dudes got loaded with two chords songs.

I don't make music to monetize it. I make it to commune with the infinite chum

hey fun lil /prod/ question

what do u think are your natural "x-factors" when it comes to your music/being a musician?

being a talentless hack and a brainlet

what this guy said

Autism

Doesnt' sound like 12 tone to me, do you know what you're doing? Anyway it sounds pretty good, more like the 6 impressionist guys.

Finally a melody line on prod

I love this. :o Can you upload this but without the percussion?

I explained the procedures in detail. I can't really do Schoenberg's system because it involves permuting a row and I don't have the ability to intuit what the row will sound like in retrograde or any of that. So I just string tone rows end to end. Sometimes I'll just use the melody or chords alone and improvise off of that. But this is pretty true to form. Here's another example of harmonious twelve tone music. I find this incredibly inspiring.

youtube.com/watch?v=Cegje3tdCyY

I can definitely see it being too wide now, I appreciate the feedback. I took off nearly all the pan automation, fixed up the bass, cut down the sidebands on most of the tracks, and did a really quick (slightly less compressed) remaster along with some other adjustments. How does it sound now?
clyp.it/4a53mgqu

really feckin good, thats how it sounds

A D D
S O M E
D R U M S

unless ur garbage w drums and it makes the song sound worse

idk if u play live but this is a solid viber and if you extended it out even more and fleshed it out it could end up being really solid and ppl would want to stay to listen to it

Sure m8

clyp.it/jgqcylq2

Thanks bud
I messed with drums a little as per your suggestion but wasn't feeling it (but did accidentally come up with some sick industrial beat I'll be using for something else). Prob just need more time to come up with a good beat since probably 85% of my stuff doesn't have any percussion. I'll give it another shot now that I know the mix isn't trash though. Any suggestions on drum inspo for something like this?

thats really cool, beautiful as well.

how would a 12 tone chord sequence look like?

why do you need drums? are you making a dance floor smash

4 hits of lsd I recorded the sound of a spoon on a bowl and then arpeggiated it

honestly now that im thinking about it the bass is already doing alot of the percussive work in the first place, id say some simple aux perc that sparkles would be a lil added flair, and if u do try to add kicks and snares to it, id have something light that has a driving and live drummer feel

i say maybe a generic 80s ripoff synthwave drum beat would work well also, some exaggerated tom work and gated snares could be chill

but like says you dont really NEED to add drums

I'm not sure what you mean by "looks like"?

i havent tried yet but i have hella auditory hallucinations when i trip where every sound i hear ends up coming into my ears processed as if i was in a deep well with a pedalboard slammed on

sometimes ill beatbox venetian snare breakbeats while listening to bathroom fans oscillate but i dont tell ppl bc its so dumb

Doesn't need it, but it's worth experimenting to see if it works, especially since percussion is outside my production comfort zone. I was thinking more ambient techno percussion where it blends with the delays and arps rather than a 4 to the floor banger. It could just be clutter, but no harm in trying

Hey, sup user.
Some glitchy stuff is here, but im not sure about genre. Bass music, but not dubstep/garage/etc
Maybe its called MUTANT DUB, anyway this is too weird as for me.
instaud.io/1ukZ
[spoiler]its not full track ofc, but 40 hours in project is record for me [/spoiler]

that piano at 35 sec is panned too far id move it a smidge righter
it sounds alright idk what you mean by it being too weird for you the only weird thing is the static bass texture but other than that its somewhat conventional?

get weirder that would be swell

>I think my favorite out of everyone is probably Aleksander Vinter
But why?

My "secret weapon" techniques that I developed.
Sadly I can't show them to you for fear that someone might reverse-engineer them and steal my ticket to success, so you'll have to trust me on this one.

clyp.it/2hy11tm0

ik the drums are terrible but what do you guys think of this little melody i made?

Does anyone have that pic where on one side it's an autist with 50 different genres and on the other side pepe dancing to some YouTube to MP3 track

How do I make noise without synths?

Samplers

I'm going to be recording some acoustic guitar and vocals in my home with a dynamic mic. Nowhere in my house is set up for such a thing.

Should I do it in my kitchen? Bathroom? Bedroom? Garage? Outside? Does it matter with a dynamic mic?

Physical things like instruments and improvised instruments, voices, electronic things that make noises and a variable voltage controller to get that dying battery effect and pitch them down, bytebeat which is maybe too close to a synthesizer, use Audacity to import raw data from various programs and file formats, sample YouTube, feedback and alter the tone of the feedback by moving the mic or placing your hands near the mic or speaker, etc.

greggman.com/downloads/examples/html5bytebeat/html5bytebeat.html#t=0&e=0&s=8000&bb=5d00000100090000000000000000141d0147688c219b930b2399bffff9550000

Bedroom with pillows and sheets, soft things in general, covering all hard surfaces to dampen reflections.

It's hard to pick out the melody from the noise, too much reverb and such on it, and the parts where you've got 3 or so notes really fast like a glide doesn't sound like a glide between two notes, the note between them is too loud and sustains for too long and just ends up blurring the melody.

Though honestly even if those were changed I'm not sure I'd like it.

It's a lot tamer and easier to get into when the drums kick in, but only for a moment before it gets too noisy and chaotic.

Trying to get into muted / clean electric guitar rhythms, but then I stumbled on an accordion DX7 preset and it diverged.

clyp.it/3ahvqgha

Funky bass and organ noodling.

Being good at guitar and understanding how to recreate multiple styles and even specific artists. I also have developed my own sound. My real x-factor is my undying need to be better and different from everyone else, mostly the latter. If everyone is doing one thing, I do my own thing.

hahaha this was a fun post to wake up to

Does anyone know what desk is this?
youtube.com/watch?v=mg7DaHwcrXE

Or any similar ones (wide with a lot of rack space under the monitor with a keyboard tray, that looks relatively normal)?

The company that uploaded the video has one but it's too narrow with only 3x3 slots for racks.

clyp.it/ctz4xk3o?token=fbe41336668db447196a9b527939aa21

What you guys think of my sound design? the intro is just a place holder and the production/mixing/arrangement isn't exactly where I want it to be, just curious what you guys think of the sound design

sounds a bit like noise reduction artefacts

the prophecies foretold of the ouu mama savior marked with the incredible long clyp url

if udon't keep that intro imma kms

lmao there's also a 666 in the url too

I need a shaman to do it then it'd be cool

I fucking love it

Oh thx, ill try to fix the pan.
Is this static bass? Its bad, cuz i make four (and 10 one-square bass samples for this part) unique basses, and if its not noticeable, its just bad, lol.

yeh i mean i'm just playin you could definitely get a more alluring and fitting intro lol

Probably custom built. You can buy 3u rack shelves, sit them on your desk,then put a shelf on top.
I’m thinking of building something simular using a 900mm x 3m wooden breakfast bar.
I still for the life of me can’t work out a decent setup where I can get my Maschine and studio mixer set up in front of me so I can twiddle with both at the same time.

William Orbit.

Yeah, I've considered the possibility of a custom one, but something premade would be better for someone like myself, who's not good with his hands.

Got around 10 years of harvested mushrooms, dried and ground...waiting for a rainy day.

Does anyone here load up their sampler with a couple of sounds and just send them through reverbs and delays for hours instead of composing or making actual music? I’ve been doing this more and more often so much so it’s pretty much all I do when I go in the studio now.

Unless it’s a really small desk I should imagine you are going to have to build it to some extent yourself anyway, unless you have really wide doors.

Assembling premade parts is different than building out of semi-raw materials.
Particularly when it comes to precision cutting and drilling, where a small mistake can ruin the whole thing and make it unstable or not fit at all.

Also when you buy an expensive pre-made desk there's usually the option of having a professional mount it for you, so that's not an issue either way.

True I was thinking more along the lines of getting the worktop cut to length and screwing some desk legs to it isn’t much different to assembling a flat pack desk.

I guess so...
But I'm still not gonna trust myself to do a better job than factory machines, so unless I want to save money, I prefer delegating what I'm not good at to someone who is.

clyp.it/asarvrgf

Need some feedback. Not very good with song structure and the synth part is a bit wrong. I'm going for a Jet Set Radio kind of thing btw

How do I replicate the guitar synth from this track?
youtube.com/watch?v=rYPcte3BlPw
I have FM8, Dexed and GENNY Beta, can anyone help?

alyjameslab.com/ajlab_files/TFI_20SOUND_20PACK.zip

Go through the TFIs for Thunder Force IV with Genny until you find it. You can also convert the VGM dump of the song to OPL with mega.nz/#!3sFCDLrA!qk50i7s_MST833aQvxpLLiKuDwFBzcfwG24pifOagYw and then rip the instruments out of the OPL with dxconvert.martintarenskeen.nl/ DXconvert and save it as a .syx DX7 bank and load that in Dexed. You'll need to actually type .syx in the filename you want the bank saved as, also check –nodupes2

Read the manual if you have questions.

Fuck, this is pretty extensive. Thanks a lot, I wasn't expecting such a detailed response!

make it LOUDER

For some reason the Ableton project folder became corrupt and turned into a regular folder and now I can't save projects in there. I made a new folder but this still bugged me. Does anyone know why this would have happened?

Try thonmann.de then or get a custom build quote from a carpenter

youd probably have to send the corrupt set to support so they can figure what happened exactly

I have no idea why it would do this

AUX pre or post? Someone please explain?

Scrolled their entire selection and I don't like anything look-wise. They all look "overengineered" and ugly (in my opinion). On top of being quite expensive.
I liked the one in the video because it was simple.

no,, luckily I didn't lose anything. I probably would have just done a system restore in that case. It was the folder itself that became corrupt

i'm interested on everything that you can notice that i can improve or fix on this mix
clyp.it/vco0zdnt
also is the bassline good enough or could it have more and better phrases

I have a old Yamaha mixing board that i use for recording guitar. It sounds a little flat though, what preamp should I get to boost the guitar sound before going to the mixing board? Also would like to include XLR inputs as well

I like the piano, I dislike the drums. they are too much in the foreground, too

sounds a bit like praise you

>Scrolled their entire selection and I don't like anything look-wise.
Yeah i guess thats why im going to custom build my own

kek just normalize it on the daw

subscribe to the everything bundle or else ill beat you up

just watched a Slate Digital video where Steven looks chill and tells jokes and i went back to liking their products