What do you think of this album?

what do you think of this album?

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the-flaming-lips/the-soft-bulletin-8/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Extremely easy to attack because of how vulnerable it is

if you can find another album that sounds anything like it that isn't mercury rev (which the Flaming Lips topped btw) then I will concede

it's magic and it's a 10/10 and the people who hate it are usually art-school pseuds

what is your favorite song off of it and why is it Feeling Yourself Disintegrate?

Actually my favorite song is on the outtakes, Satellite of You.

It's one of those albums where I cannot see a bad song in the tracklist

I like it

8.75/10, but i rate on a hard scale. Its really good, my only nitpick is the second half is a bit inconsistent

My parents put me on to this album when it came out, and played it during road trips. I've been listening to the Flaming Lips since for at least 18 years.

I've never heard of this song. This is incredible. damn

The other two outtakes are great too

I've been on this board for a long time and Sup Forums has gone through about 100 phases of liking and disliking the Flaming Lips

truth is they have one of the most fascinating stories in rock music

and I still forgive Wayne for being a bit of a dick

>truth is they have one of the most fascinating stories in rock music

>and I still forgive Wayne for being a bit of a dick

brief rundown?

I actually didn't find it that enjoyable, a few songs here and there but in general did not live up to the hype that I heard about it.

Great record. Probably their best. Didn't it get a 10 from the Fork?

Watch the Fearless Freaks, also as much as I hate to admit it, p4k did a really good doc on The Soft Bulletin

I guess just read up on Wayne's egotistical side, there's plenty of rumours but there's probably someone on Sup Forums who knows more about it than me - I never really cared

Neat

I like some tracks off Yoshimi more, but this is clearly their best full album

Very good

Clouds taste metallic is still their best

i hate it. and i like psych rock

The Soft Bulletin isn't rock

yeah. it's shit.

yes it is you fucking dickhead

the vinyl version is probably my favorite album of the 90s

>i hate it. and i like psych rock
>not psych rock
>yeah

brilliant.

what's shit about it

The cover has the same color scheme as Pleased to Meet Me.

Just relistened to it recently after being away from it for about 5 years. It's better than I remember, though that may just be a case of my taste changing. Wayne's vocals, as whiney as they are at times, just perfectly meld with the effects, and the magical psych pop sound of the record. I don't have a lot of substantive things to say about it because it's not an album I'm SUPER familiar with, but it's an album I have a strong desire to return to soon.

literally the reason it's so popular is because it's a pop album by a rock band who abandoned rock music to make it

wtf is an art school pseud?
if you're at art school chances are you're better at interpreting art than anyone else, surely?

also this album is trash

give it a rest you fucking genre justice warrior

Clearly you've never talked to somebody who's actually gone to some sort of art school. The seriousness with which these people take themselves is eye-rolling, and they think that because they study in an academic environment (as opposed to an urban or untraditional environment), it makes them inherently correct in all issues.

Not that the person you're responding to it correct. I disagree with their assertion that the only people who dislike it are art-school pseuds.

rock is pop you dunce
>>not psych rock
it is psych rock.

>if you're at art school chances are you're better at interpreting art than anyone else, surely?
these are the same kind of people who listen to mac demarco and think it's profoundly meaningful
what is remotely rock about it

>rock is pop you dunce
and it's not fucking rock, pop can be pop without being rock you brainlet

it is not psych rock, for the last fucking time what is rock about it

dude you take yourself more seriously than anybody else on this board. you somehow feel the need to give your opinion on every single thing that's posted here. as if people actually wanted to hear your opinion

met plenty of fine art/history of art undergrads - they're often very humble and oddly unpretentious. although if i'm talking to a STEM/ex-STEM student ... you're beyond hope

>live drums, bass guitar, electric guitar
>not rock
I feel like you're splitting hairs here because you want to feel special and not because you have a good point to make.

why are you arguing about if it is rock music or not? do you have literally nothing better to do

but he's right
I'm doing a BA and you're wrong

>what is rock about it
the fact that it's a band of electric guitarists, a bassist, a drummer and a singer playing verse-chorus pop music

wtf do you think rock is?

>agreeing with a trip
>ever

get an original thought for once

that's settled then, i am wrong.

>but he's right
lmao put your name back on crazium. you openly worship grimes and you expect people to take your opinions seriously

>dude you take yourself more seriously than anybody else on this board
I joke constantly, and never put my opinions above anybody else's. I'm always willing to admit when I'm wrong and chat with people in the least serious banter-like way possible. Only when I'm posting in a thread where serious things are being discussed to I talk seriously. Expressing yourself is not the same as "taking yourself seriously". This is a board literally designed for talking about music, and your knee-jerk reaction is, "DON'T TALK ABOUT MUSIC". Like, come on, fuck off dude.

I have too. I'm not dogging on all of them as a group of people. It's just that I've also talked to a lot of people who refuse to accept anybody's input and always double down on their preconceptions because they're taking a liberal arts course. I didn't mean to imply they're all assholes or anything.

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the-flaming-lips/the-soft-bulletin-8/

find the rock genre

you need to shut the fuck up you baby

maybe you don't meet enough 'liberal arts' students (in the UK we just call them humanities, helps to stop the alt-right from soiling themselves)

>letting your hatred for a trip get in the way of an argument
you truly are lesser beings

i don't care about this argument, i just wanted to piss you off

>rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the-flaming-lips/the-soft-bulletin-8/
>this whole time he's been bitching about genre technicalities because it says psychedelic pop rather than psychedelic rock on fucking RYM

>maybe you don't meet enough 'liberal arts' students (in the UK we just call them humanities, helps to stop the alt-right from soiling themselves)
A. We do call it liberal arts
B. Please tell me how many "alt-righters" you've met in England

I don’t think it’s all that great. I don’t know, man. It’s just boring to me.

A. i don't think you get it
B. more than i am comfortable with

there used to be threads about how wrong wiki music genres are
by the people for the people

and they're right

>RYM
>by the people for the people

>Wikipedia
>by the people for the people

???

No I don't think you get it, where I'm from (midlands) we call them liberal arts students because that's what their course is called and that's what they are, dainty little fairies taking a subject (if you can call it that) that doesn't matter

faux-sincerity in the form of infantile nursery rhymes sung by perhaps the worst singer in the history of rock music.

i mean ffs wayne's voice works in their earlier stuff when they're just playing noisy garage rock. but seriously? ballads? man my nose is wrinkling up just thinking about it.

are you seriously implying the same people who visit wikipedia have the same knowledge of music as the people who visit rym

Merriweather Post Pavilion is tagged as avant garde pop

i can't believe you're still trying to argue this. define rock music. then tell me how the soft bulletin is not that.

'liberal arts' as a degree is quite absent in the UK, you can take it at certain universities but there are 10x more 'fine arts' students, and 100x more 'humanities' students.

although i think saying 'art isn't a subject' closes the case for me on this one - obviously a pleb who can't get into art because you can't finish a book

try some art criticism! literary criticism! it's all good, interesting, and important!

[i too am from the midlands, and study in the north - and in your defence the midlands is culturally vapid, so maybe you can be excused?]

genres are transitory, fickle, and personal
this does not need to be pointed out to you

your interpretation might not align with another's, chill out and come back to Sup Forums in a couple of years when you turn 18

>Merriweather Post Pavilion is tagged as avant garde pop
it is avant garde pop
why are you so autistic about genre descriptors? you do realize that artists make music first and then people label it afterwards right? there is no objectivity in labeling genres.

>if you're at art school chances are you're better at interpreting art than anyone else, surely?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Only thing you're better at is wasting money.

i'm not an art student :-------)

sorry to spoil your hyperbolic laughter x

>all these people who have never taken a formal art course commenting on how useless formal art courses are
let me guess, learning music theory is actually detrimental to your compositional abilities because it takes away your creativity right?

fucking anti-intellectuals man

THIS

>i'm not an art student
Did I ever imply you were or that I care?

overhyped p4k crap

Do i have a weird version of the album? mines only 10 songs long. It ends in The Gash and doesnt have either Feeling Yourself Disintergrate, or Satellite of You

Apparently so
Every version listed on Discogs includes Feeling Yourself Disintegrate, and none of them end with The Gash

HOW IN THE WORLD DID YOU GET A THREAD ON THIS ALBUM TO TAKE OFF??? I’VE BEEN TRYING TO DO THAT FOR MONTHS! Almost all of Sup Forums is so anti-Flaming Lips and pro-Animal Collective. Godspeed, you glorious OP!

bizarre

Honestly though, I have way too much to say about this album.
Sup Forums underrates it because it is not in their beloved top 100 RYM albums of all times and is from two decades back, but the world underrates it because Warner Brothers forced Lips to include unnecessary remixes on it, so no one truly has the real track listing that Pitchfork mentioned in their documentary (which I think is the GOAT music documentary), but me and the few others who bought it off iTunes during that limited time availability.

old flips are decent. transmissions is great. soft bulletin is bad and everything after that ranges from awful to decent. anco are just awful

It's okay, Embryonic/Terror era Lips is better.

flawless