ITT: Post an album you think is overrated...

ITT: Post an album you think is overrated, and other anons provide an argument against it being overrated and what they love about it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KQsdO8e8fwY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

context is i've listened to easily over 500 black metal albums probably closer to 1,000
this is a case of the story being bigger than the music

Muh emotions. It isn't your fault.

I still like it tho

Can someone please tell me why the fuck some instrumental hip hop album, which no doubt probably is just a rip-off of DJ Shadow's Entroducing, is #1 for 2006? The same year RHCP released Stadium Arcadium, The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me revived modern emo, and the biggest pop punk album The Black Parade caused MCR fans everywhere to vomit blood?

What GIVES!??!?!?

Have you listened to it? It's absolutely nothing like Endtroducing and it's spectacular, the swan song of one of the best producers ever

because he ded.
so therefore shit was a classic

what gives?

Yeah, the context definitely influences how people perceive the album. It really is an evil and dark album though, even without the backstory, you have to admit it's really good black metal, especially the drumming.

>Not enjoying ambient noise
>Not being anti-corporate while also selling music commercially
>Not having a high enough iq in general
>Mfw

But is it really that much better than any of the albums I mentioned so much that it's #1 for the entire year? Can you honestly say with a straight face (or finger, since you're typing) that this is better than TDAG, SA, TBP and even Decemberunderground? And about his death, did the songs on the album really reflect his foreshadowing and acceptance of it à là Blackstar By David Bowie? Oh, wait, never mind... because it's instrumental.

very very different from entroducing. #1 for 2006 is a bit ridiculous.

its IMO how instrumental hip hop albums should be done if they're being made with the listeners in mind. Most songs are 1-2 min, He doesn't make you sit through the same loop for 4-5 min straight. The songs are pretty diverse. I really like vocal samples in instrumental hip hop and he uses a lot.

the album is at times, pretty manic, or pretty funky, or just very relaxed. sometimes it comes off like if boring oldies, old R&B and jazz was modernized.

It's just... Ok

I can’t understand how anyone would think this album could be overrated. After listening to shitloads of other black metal albums i have YET to find an album that even comes close the the erie and unsettling sounds this album has. It literally sounds like the sound track of evil. De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas has the evilest intro out of any black metal song ive heard so far. I also saw Mayhem play this album live in its entirety and it legitimately felt like they were summoning satan himself. Shit was scary and fucking awesome all at the same time

I 100% believe Donuts is not only a more enjoyable album but als

oh you're trolling, never mind

You fuckers know its true. Either that or i just can’t get the hype of this album to save my fucking life.

In highschool I almost got the RHCP logo tattooed on me. Donuts blows SA outta the water.

It sounds like you're hating just to hate, because if you're saying it's a Entroducing rip off I have a hard time believing you've actually listened to it

fight me

I kinda was on the last sentence, but it still rings true. How could an instrumental hip hop album overtake the aforementioned ones, when they're ten times more creative than this?

I'm not hating on it per se, Not have I actually listened to it yet (that's why I said "probably"). This is my initial reaction, or the "before" stage of listening to this album. When I get the chance, I'll see if it really "blows SA out of the water" or not.

Yes, Donuts is better than all the albums you've mentioned.

yeah very funny

yeah, it can. sorry you can't see that but there's no way i can convince you of an album's creativity and emotional honesty. maybe read some writings on J Dilla's process, history, and influence

also I don't believe you really like shitty alternative rock but we're all liars here aren't we ;)

I don't like black metal and I think this album is great.

>hasn't even listened to an album
>calls it overrated
>claims it ripped off another album

Rock didn't sound like that at the time, also Lou has a great voice.

especially when he does that gay one.

Yeah that gay voice was fantastic.

>Not
Dear lord, either my hands are way too shaky or auto-correct is terrible on my phone.

I'm not explicitly saying that, though! I was just making a silly connection. It's just that when I decided to open that chart, I expected RHCP, MCR, Brand New and AFI to have the top albums that year. To my surprise, and shock, I saw none of those albums on the chart, and this at #1. What was I supposed to feel, huh?

you were supposed to think 'hey maybe there's a reason this album is more highly rated than the music of my childhood'

not 'the people must be wrong'

Hey thats my favourite death grips album.

Countdown to extinction is the most overrated megadeth album. High speed dirt and psychotron are bad songs.

is megadeth a good band?

If you don't see the appeal in the album after listening to Femme Fatale...

But what conceivable reason would there be for an instrumental album to be higher placed than albums that spawned beautiful masterpieces such as Degausser, Wet Sand, Miss Murder, and Welcome to the Black Parade? Did Dilla inject the venom of anacondas into drums and make drumsticks out of rocks? Did he carve record spinners out of wood and clay? Did he use bird chirping into a dog's mouth as the basis for his songs? Tell me, I need to know! What. Is. The. Deal. With. This. Album....?

Tell me why you think it's so good and i will

*insert any swans album*

I used to think I somewhat enjoyed this album, but when I actually gave it my full attention I realized that guy saying "we are together" repeatedly is incredibly cheesy and insufferable. Made me delete the whole album.

If you don't like a lot of his stuff and also don't enjoy this then Elliott is not for you. However if you like his other albums but think this one is overrated then youre retarded

*inserts last two Swans albums*
After The Seer, sorree Swans, you aren't fooling anyone by rereleasing The Seer over and over. Way too formulatic and its too obvious
>Who here excited for the next Swans album in 2018 which will totally be different than The Seer

wow you are so stupid

I've never quite *gotten* Elliott's music, it's always flat and boring to me, and Elliott seems overrated as a lyricist. Than again I love Leonard Cohen and you could say the same thing about him.

i mean it's good, but a 10? come on

you have to relate to what he is saying to really enjoy it, or even just the feeling of the music.
But its also mostly about his drug problems, thats the main point of his tunes

Interesting. I've never been able to get into Cohen but love Elliott though it is more the music than his lyrics to me

This isn't always true but it definitely helps

Entry level noise pop.

Album's really not that good regardless.

literal villainy of using rhyme schemes in odd/weird ways in being off-temp and not landing on the beat. Basically, its a big fuck you to the industry. How can you not like that?

not an argument; honestly if your `opinion' can be summarized in 3 ishygttd meme arrows then it probably isn't worth listening to.

It's the only album to ever perfectly capture the feeling of being lost in an urban metropolis, wandering around in the darkness of the night, the streetlamps your only guide and your footsteps being accompanied by only the pitter-patter of rain hitting the sidewalk.
Listen to it fucked up off of Vyvanse or something.
Really unique and pioneered a ton of things in rock music.
youtube.com/watch?v=KQsdO8e8fwY

I can't help but agree, there's a lot of great things going on in it but a 10 is just overhyping it imo. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that melon gave it a 10

I don't even care about his lyrics that much but I think he's an amazing pop songwriter

Roughly a year ago, I lost two people very close to me. I remember walking out into the Chicago streets in the loop on the verge of tears and putting on this album for some reason. Not an Elliot Smith fan but the potency of of speed trials, followed by alameda, etc comforted me in a way music hasn't before. Maybe its not objectively a good album, but emotionally there's a lot. I don't mean in the lyrics, but the way it physically sounds and the melodies--its so rough but delicate.

he actually builds very complex, emotional chords and many of his songs sound simple until you get the notes and realize... oh shit , essentially he does what the beatles did with his intonation and you have to appreciate hearing someone telll it real for once,i suppose. it is funny, i know that many of his songs sound simple but there are subltle nuance everywhere and is generally considered a musicians' musician. even before i heard the rest of his stuff i liked his sound , and before i heard his story. his lyrics.. a lot of them revolve around living 'that' lifestyle, listen to Condor avenue off his first album, the lyrics in a lot of his stuff revolve around only what addicts can understand.