youtube.com/watch?v=GcNVGpFhqC8
youtube.com/watch?v=6F018Oz9zHI
youtube.com/watch?v=O8hf8HBeFSE
youtube.com/watch?v=GokWsfaC-rg
youtube.com/watch?v=5MyRPPVpcUU
mega.nz/#!yMlWWb7S!L1xmANatcHlnnglmcmiOV52kZuVpE9Yqe4_4Vp21zkU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

good thing they released 3 other albums this year you low attention span fuck

Why would I listen to their three same albums when I could just listen to pic related and hear it actually done well?

Yea, that song alone brings the album down for me.

>three same albums
>turkisk krautrock, wanky jazzrock, and acid prog
do you want a fucking King Gizzle and the Wizzle Fizzle rap album or some shit

Something worth listening to would be nice, yes

>King Gizz fans unironically believe they play anything other than watered down prog and psychedelic garage

you haven't heard this yet have you?
youtube.com/watch?v=MPZ6u6MCdnk

also, you don't even have the lyrics right

paper mache, quarters, eyes like the sky

haha nice criticisms dude. really made me think...

Is this supposed to convince me that they are good?

>Is this supposed to convince me that they are good?
yes. that record demonstrates the objective technical and compositional talent of the band. if you're trying to imply that isn't true then you're either blinded by bias or you know nothing about music theory

The only thing this record demonstrates is their ability to write derivative garbage and market it to their fans and have them genuinely believe it's good.

>derivative garbage
the fact that you insist on using vague blanket insults rather than legitimate criticisms shows you don't know what your talking about. either explain how that record is derivative/garbage or stop talking out your ass

>DUDE WIZARDS
>DUDE MONSTERS
>DUDE ROBOTS
>DUDE PUKE POOPY AND PEE PEE
People actually defend this garbage?

>memes and more vague blanket insults
you have to be 18 to post here

>implying Gizz isn't marketed for underage "lol I'm so nerdy this is epic!" types

OP confirmed musically illiterate who only pays attention to lyrics.

>still not criticizing the actual music
i don't give a shit who they're "marketed" to

That's standard for stoner rock, honestly.

ITT: People acting like King Gizz are somehow significantly less good than any other decent band around these days. Grow a fucking brain and realise that personal opinions exist. I don't really listen to them regularly but ya'll are talking out of your asses if you think they're particularly great or particularly shit. They have some interesting ideas that aren't super overdone, but they also lean on their influences heavily.

>being this biased against fantasy
you must be an exciting person

Here's the King Gizzard writing process
>hey dude I came up with this sick riff while I was smoking hell weeeeeed
>wow dude nice rif how does it go?
>Oh it goes like this "bee dee dee-dee doo da-dee dee"
>oh wow thats so sick dude lets just repeat that throughout the whole song
>thanks man but what will the other instruments do?
>oh shoot I forgot because we have so many band members! Ok let's think. All of our other guitars will do absolutely nothing noticeable because all we need is that one sick riff, the bass will just bounce between two notes, and our TWO DRUMMERS will go "ba da da da dadadada"
>dude thats so SICK but wait dude arent we forgetting something?
>oh shoot! I almost forgot because of how HIGH I am! We need lyrics!
>I Got you dude-"Wizard of the sun, wizard of the sun, wizard of the sun oh you have so much fun. Wizard of the sun, wizard of the sun, watch out oh great wizard, that robot's got a gun! The robot it craves poopies, and lots of fruity loopies! But the wizard has no food, the Wizard is too good, the wizard is one really righteous dude! Wizard of the sun, wizard of the sun, wizard kills that robot by the time the day is done!"
>wow dude that's totally sick
>yeah and here's the best part, this song is gonna be eleven minutes long!
>But how?
>Just repeat everything nonstop!
>Sick dude
>Sick

god, could you be more of an incorrect fucking mongoloid?

is this satire?

welp, there is one (1) legitimate musical criticism buried in this trash heap of ad-hominem attacks and baseless assumptions. and that is the matter of repetition.

in regards to that i'll just say learn what krautrock and minimalism is.

also, if you're still criticizing them for repetition then i refuse to believe that you've listened to this

>This brainlett actually fell for the "dude sick riffs" meme
>And he literally can't criticize them beyond that

>all these albums came out during an abysmal year

my sides

The repetition is an important part of their style. It weeds out the morons who don't listen enough to realize the slow, nuanced, progressive build-up that lies within. Also the repetition fits the themes in which they sing about and relate to their albums as a whole (ie: infinity). In fact, the albums are all related to one another as seen in their distinctive subtle (and sometimes not so) callbacks to their previous works. This band legitimately has fucking lore, and only those who REALLY "get" the band truly appreciate it. Repetition is an important and unique aspect to this band.

Glad to see a thread with a considerable amount of defense for king gizz.
Gives me hope for this board

Also just about everyone that has dissed king gizz in this thread so far is braindead

Ok I was baiting this whole time but lmao you cannot be serious

Never got repetition as a criticism. I honestly like it quite a lot, not with "subtle development" or "nuanced details if you just listen closer", not to say those things are bad, I just like simple repetition.

underrated post
youtube.com/watch?v=EAXYMOgHQI4

I'd ask you to refute me but you clearly haven't listened to very much of the bands' content.
I can't convince you to like something, but try enjoying something instead of hating it just for being popular. AT LEAST be indifferent.

Also true, repetition doesn't HAVE to mean anything. Sometimes a nice jam is all you need.

Why are King Gizzard fans so easily baited? You guys realize these threads would go away if you didn't bite the hook every fucking time, right?

I don't hate Gizz. Not their biggest fan but I enjoy them for what they are. I made this post as a (lighthearted) criticism for how much Altered Beast (all tracks) wear their welcome with the refrain. The first comment was so unnecessarily defensive (as King Gizz fans are) so I just decided to have fun with it.
Your comment is incredibly cringe inducing if it's serious. There's nothing to "get" about King Gizz, it's all fairly surface level, interesting exploration of sounds from album to album but nothing groundbreaking whatsoever. I actually laughed when I got to the part where you bring up the "lore" as if it's something impressive at all. Their lyrics are goofy nonsense, basically just running through fantasy and some light sci-fi tropes. It fits the music really well, but they are absolutely nothing to write home about. Repetition is not a unique aspect to the band, it's something literally all bands fall back on as a crutch and it's the biggest issue I have with their music. But yeah, your comment actually made me break character. Like read this over and tell me this isn't some Rick and Morty level cringe
>only those who REALLY "get" the band truly appreciate it

>blanket insults
>you dont like it cuz you dont get music theory
oh fuck off ever wondered why each album has a new gimmick behind it? bc you reddit faggots eat it up bc its about the image and not the quality of the music. literally kill yourself

reddit sure loves albums with gimmicks that appeal to psuedointelligent community college students huh?

I mean really, name me a modern rock band who is even close to being as eclectic as them. You make these complaints about how overly simplistic the band is, but that point doesn't make sense. Sure, their lyrics are sometimes nonsense, filled with sci-fi tropes, but they are also fun; they sing about fantasy things yet avoid coming across as immature and cliche (like basically all power metal bands) by not being overly stern about it.
End of the day, it's hard to make sweeping criticisms of a band that is so versatile and delves into so many genres.

The tie-ins really grew on me as I kept listening to them. I think it does quite a bit to make their music more entertaining, but I really like those kinds of things.

I COULD PULL YOU APART
CUT YOU TO PIECES
WEEP RED TEARS FROM YOUR LESIONS
BUT WHAT I REALLY WANT
AND WHAT I'LL GET
IS TO TAKE OVER YOUR BODY
AND LIVE IN YOUR HEAD

I already posted them in this thread but Thee Oh Sees make King Gizz look like AC/DC. And I don't hate their lyrics, I just think it's laughable that you describe Gizz as this band that only a select few "get".

Gizzard does garage-punk just as well as Thee Oh Sees as well as diversifying their discog. Oh Seees are no where near as ambitious. Saying as a big fan of both. It's funny, I actually always say once I found King Gizz I never listen to my poor Oh Sees anymore. But their new album was pretty good.

jej is this guy serious?
youtube.com/watch?v=fdTTWcs8s2U
youtube.com/watch?v=GcNVGpFhqC8
youtube.com/watch?v=6F018Oz9zHI
youtube.com/watch?v=O8hf8HBeFSE
youtube.com/watch?v=GokWsfaC-rg
Oh yeah, nowhere near the range of fucking King Gizz
Why would you pretend to actually have listened to a band?

I clicked the first song and it sucked

youtube.com/watch?v=5MyRPPVpcUU

This song is so so so much better and Stu has suuuuuuch a better voice

>to be fair you have to have a pretty high IQ to understand King Gizzard

This reminds me of a fat rich girl getting ready for prom and she's putting on her makeup and she's dancing around to this song and waiting for her date to come

King Gizzard aren't groundbreaking, but I unironically enjoy their lyrics for what they are. I think it fits their style.

A firm grasp on theoretical physics, if you will.

And OP, not arguing against OCS, I love them as well. Heard 4/5 songs you listed, so I'm aware of their reach. I haven't heard all 20 albums but I've heard about 5 (and change from the others), which I do believe is more than you can say for Gizzard. They aren't as ballsy or interesting, to me, comparatively. Just a damn good rock band, nothing really different or experimental though.

>King Gizzard fan
>isn't a brainlet
something's not right here...

You are retard if you think Gizz are eclectic beyond surface level shit like goofy fantasy lysics or goofy repeated krautrock riffs. Sure, maybe if you're comparing it to Green Day or Arctic Monkeys it's pretty out there

lol it should give you the opposite of hope bro

ok u melts

if king giz is shit

then what is good?

Neutral Milk Hotel

true black metal

I'm not the guy you were replying to earlier. I need to get around to listening to Thee Oh Sees. Had some of their albums sitting on my computer for months but just haven't gotten around to it. I like what I've heard, and the music you've posted, but from what I hear they don't overshadow Gizzard.
I feel like King Gizzard's style is the type of thing that really interests certain people and doesnt interest others, and that a lot of people here are pushing back against it because it's the kind of thing that appeals to a lot of redditors.

FACT:

You should start at King Gizzard with "I'm in Your Mind Fuzz"

Everything before is not needed.especially those shit first two albums

Continue listening. Part 2 and 3 are the good ones.

this. it's the reddit takeover

>paper mache
this whole album is like a crap version of ween.
apologies to any ween fans for even making the comparison

This thread is a trainwreck

Now matter how shitty that post is, the lyrics parody is spot on. Which doesn't make this style bad anyway

ITT: King Gizz fans BTFO

Eyes Like the Sky is really cool, Float Along is a quality album, and Oddments has some great tracks too.

PICKLE RIFFS, MORTY

??? Paper mache literally sounds nothing like ween what kind of drugs are you on

>repetition is an important part
I'm gonna make an album that's an hour of one string and one drum snare and you can't criticize me because otherwise you don't get minimalism and my unique style you fucking pleb

>RATTLESNAKE RATTLESNAKE RATTLESNAKE RATTLESNAKE RATTLESNAKE RATTLESNAKE RATTLESNAKE RATTLESNAKE RATTLESNAKE

Murder of the Universe is AOTY. And if anything, the Altered Beast suite isn't long enough.

Do it. I'll listen. Not that user btw

ENOUGH

for all the dumb hate ITT i still haven't heard a legitimate criticism of their music. i swear the people who hate this band are retarded

like seriously?these posts are literally just meaningless word vomit. if you don't like them but you don't have anything further to say on the subject then simply say you don't like them. you kids seriously sound like you aren't old enough to be posting here

have you ever listened to hip hop or edm? their music is no more repetitive than the majority of those genres. what kind of music do you even listen to?

I agree that everyone should start with mins fuzz but float along fill your lungs is their first actually good album and shouldn't be skipped

>king gizzard thread is a flaming pile of garbage
why am I not suprised

something about this band triggers angry retards with nothing substantial to say. that and self-proclaimed trolls like op

>lacklusture songwriting– will literally pick the first riff that falls out of a guitar and then stick with it, feels like no effort or care has gone into refining a strong melody
>quantity over quality– will churn out album after album, and the rush to release as much music as possible means they scrimp on important details like mixing and quality control, leading to the poorly mixed, pretentious waffle that completely ruins albums like MOFU (Han-Tyumi was cool tho)
>attended the arcade fire school of bland song structure (polygondwanaland feels like a breath of fresh air in that regard)
>almost every album pivots on a gimmick in order to detract from lazy songwriting (Nonagon infinity being multiple variations on a single song, microtonal banana is self-explanatory, MOTU the overblown concept and shitty spoken word)

I could go on. They're not bad, but they're not the inscrutable artists you make them out to be

It's astounding how wrong a person can be

>no argument, just "hurr ur wrung"
What is it about you gizzard faggots that literally can't bear for your favourite band to have imperfections? I even admitted that they're a pretty good band– they put on a fucking amazing live show, but that doesn't mean I can't have my complaints about their recorded material. It's lazy, gimmicky and derivative. Stop being such a pussy

>wants legit arguments
>responds with no ur wrong
get fucked autismo

Somd of their fans can't form an actual thought, but that doesnt make you correct.
>Lackluster Songwriting
This is entirely opinion based on your part. What you said in this section literally doesn't mean anything. Yes, sometimes they have repitition and simplistic melodies, but they don't overstay their welcome and fit their whole "garage band live show" style most of the time. Poly alone has plenty of strong melodies.
>Quantity over Quality
Every album they have released this year has been praised by many people, and manages to be unique enough to be interesting. For instance, hle Han-Tyumi gets most support, most people did agree heavily on what the best song is off the album. They have only been releasing this many albums in 2017, that's not the norm, and it wont happen in the future. While I wish they spent more time refining their albums, their mixing hasnt suffered much because of it. They have always had a somewhat lo-fi garage rock sound, that's been their style since day one.
>Gimmicks
I don't see how this is a bad thing. Nonagon carries a feeling of constant energy from beginning to end (apart from Mr. Beat), and the rest of their gimmicks have led to similar reasons for acclaim as well.

Not an argument

AUSSIE SOYS BTFO
go hump a walabe faggot

>What you said in this section literally doesn't mean anything
of course it does. I never said anything about repetition or simplicity, I said their melodies sound like they stick with the first idea that comes to mind and make no effort to develop it before putting it to tape. I agree with you on Poly though, its probably their most fleshed-out and interesting release this year

>the rest of their gimmicks have led to similar reasons for acclaim as well.
microtonal banana was alright, but the microtonal elements were totally under-utilised. Plenty of rock bands before them have used microtonal composition to much better effect, all they did was whack a few extra frets onto their guitars and played their pentatonics as standard, which is both lazy and gimmicky. They could've just played it on regular guitars and the difference would be minor, apart from the slightly eerie and uncertain tone that is an integral character of microtones. Personally, if an album can be removed of a certain feature that is supposed to be essential and very little is changed, then that addition is a gimmick.

mega.nz/#!yMlWWb7S!L1xmANatcHlnnglmcmiOV52kZuVpE9Yqe4_4Vp21zkU
Here. A masterpiece in rock minimalism. I call it "Sunn O))) are a bunch of fags". Pls no criticism because its minimalistic and the repetition is integral to the piece. Expecting a label to contact me soon.

Holy shit you weirdos are worse than grimestans why can't you just accept criticism and move on
I'm not even going to bother reading more of this thread than I already have because the asshurt is just so extreme
Vinyl release when

I'm expecting a Sub Pop contract by the end of the week

>I said their melodies sound like they stick with the first idea that comes to mind and make no effort to develop it before putting it to tape.
I can kind of see what you're saying, but I dont see how that is different from saying their music is simple or uninspired. But if its not that thier music is simple, this is completely opinion based so there's no way to argue for me to say anthing for or against other than to say I disagree and post examples you've probably already heard of their songwriting that I find well devleoped, which is why if I said it doesnt mean anything.

>if an album can be removed of a certain feature that is supposed to be essential and very little is changed, then that addition is a gimmick.
That can only really be said about FMB though.

Once again, if the songs are otherwise entertaining, I don't see why a gimmick is a bad thing. They were really obvious with where they got their melodies on FMB, but the songs still remained interesing, and Sleep Drifter, Anoxia and Nuclear Fusion, especially Sleep Drifter, rely heavily on micotonal compositions.