Watching a sport that doesn't have relegation

>watching a sport that doesn't have relegation
why?

Tanking is a viable strategy

This. Teams deserve to gain an advantage for intentionally losing the most games.

Because it's competitive.

I love the concept of promotion/relegation but it would never fly in North America. Owners don't want to invest money in a team that isn't guaranteed to be in the top league.

That is something that I can't wrap my head around.
In the NFL for example, why wouldn't you forfeit every game after you've been eliminated from playoff contention?
Honest question, not baiting.

Not just that, draft would be unrealistic with pro/rel.

>a sport that doesn't have relegation
You mean league?

That would kill tv ratings

Explain the benefits, the US is a big country but even in our best 32 team league there's already a ton of meme cities like Jacksonville and Kansas City that would die out if they became a 2nd tier league

Because the players won't get new contracts if they play like shit. The coaches won't get new jobs either. The owner would lose money. Plus the season is so short that by the time a decent team is out it's too late to drastically improve your draft position. Only truly shitty teams get the top picks

>watching a sport where the same 2 teams win every year

this is a valid criticism and as i'm exposed to more world sports i see pro/rel as the ideal structure.
our sports are organized as cartels with rent-seeking ability, creating exploitable inefficiencies rewarding collusion with the season-ticket holder as the "mark."
i will not defend closed leagues. pro/rel is optimal for the fan. closed leagues is optimal for the ownership cartel.

>phoneposting

oh hi lebbit

It would be basically how baseball is now. All the big cities in the MLB and all the irrelevant suburbs and small towns with A-AAA tier teams

It only really works where sports are organised primarily in clubs with a pyramid that goes from international competition participators down to 500 inhabitants village scrub teams playing other smalltown clubs from their area.

Unfortunately, once you go with promotion and relegation you'll end up with this situation

It only really works in small countries with a relatively even population distribution. There are 60 CHL teams and 132 CJHL teams in Canada but promotion/relegation would never work because of the distances involved. Brandon and Portland play in the same league and they're already a 2100 kilometre drive apart.

beating rivals is still a thing, also giving young guys a chance to prove themselves for the team or other teams is a thing

Also playing spoiler to another team's record.

Hola redit!

192 teams is literally nothing. There are more football clubs in my region with barely a million inhabitants and only two of them play in the lowest professional (3rd) division.

Honestly given the dearth of talent at many key positions already for the NFL it could never really work out given that explanation Deutschebro

There's literally MAYBE 10 good quarterbacks in the entire league as is and all the others are awful

what they need to do is alter CFL rules to match NFL and expand the entire league, then have it as the D-league that it's always unofficially been.

you get more people giving a fuck about the sport and Canada would get an NFL team some day. football is just hard because it's so expensive to run a team. the NBA strikes me as being more immediately feasible

That doesn't disprove my post. Germany is fucking tiny and you live in settlements that are 2000 years old. Everything in my province was created in the last 150 years. Villages of 500 people are separated by 50 km

it's true tho, alberto

Why they play fucking games in London but havent floated a canadian team is beyond me

Do you think Alabama could get promoted to the NFL? An NCAA NFL promotion relegation league would be cool. And the bragging rights for college teams would be great, just like the banter against the relegated pro teams.

Because we watch your shit already. The NFL doesn't care about the gate as much as they care about the viewership. When you buy a ticket to an NFL game you are becoming part of the product that they sell on TV. Plus the only city that could support a team is Toronto and Buffalo would throw a shitfit if a team moved there

>get promoted to NFL
>get btfo the next season
>all players lose amateur status and have to stay in the NFL
>get btfo the season after that because you to replace every player

Obviously you would have to remove that retarded rule that says that college athletes can't earn money. Just give them a contract instead of sholarships, it's not like anyone believes they go to college to study anyway

>dude just destroy one of the few non-plastic traditions in your sporting culture so you can emulate our superior culture

I never said that geography isn't an issue, but that a lack of club culture and broad public participation makes prom/rel infeasable in the US and probably Canada as well. Both countries have metropolitan regions that could sustain their own leagues if not for various reasons. Cities Berlin have their own leagues integrated in the prom/rel pyramid. The thing is, there arent a hundred hockey clubs in Vancouver or baseball clubs in Chicago. Sports are often tied to schools and the like, ice hockey can't just be played anywhere with a patch of grass on an even surface, equipment is expensive and the USA has several huge sports competing with each other. It's not just that the distances between places are big in Canada and the Midwest, it's also that the amateur level organisation/infrastructure is either inexistent or vastly different.

The current system you have is the way it is because it works is what I'm saying.

I bet her taco smells and tastes decelious.

Because money
>controversially move the Rams to LA last year
>low attendence, team is shit, no fans
>play game in London at 2pm on Sunday
>in LA time, 6am
Your league is run by retards, sorry to tell you that m8

College football should definitely go to a relegation system- in conjunction with the 4 team playoff

4 major conferences: Pac 10, Big 10, ACC, SEC. Big XII teams get split up

Each conference has about 30 teams: 3 tiers of 10. 9 game conference schedule round robin format with the champ advancing to the playoff. Last place team of each tier gets relegated and first place team in the lower tier wins promotion and takes their spot.

that would never work because of scholarships

a college team would never beat a pro team in a million years

>caring what other people watch
why?

fucking this. Yuropoors need to fuck off with your pro/rel and "tradition" bullshit. We like to keep our traditional amateur sports separate from our plastic pro sports unlike in europe where amateur local clubs evolved into disgusting plastic global brands that will spend 100 million for a single player yet yuros are too delusional to see whats in front of them.

you think there going to play CFL games during an NFL schedule? It be like playing a soccer match in the sahara desert in summer at mid day.

>Kansas City
>Meme
Kansas City has won fuck tons of titles and constantly makes playoffs for all their sports teams

Not for football

I'm only a boreball fan, and I'm majorly apposed to salary cap leagues. My soccer/football watching begins and ends with the USMNT, but I am going to watch more soccer next year because I like the relegation aspect because I find it comparable to the minor league system in the MLB. What league should I watch?

It has no relation whatsoever.

Go ahead and try again, Wellington

I get it no one wants to lose money in America and it is on the roots and everything, but just talking about the level of the league, i think it would improve a lot if they had football format instead

in NBA for example, you have like a shit team tanking just to get a better pick overall on the next year.
This makes the last portion of the regular season a pointless struggle to get through , just to get to the playoffs.
If they had the relegation you would have at least the bottom part of the table trying their best every match.

And instead of the draft they had youth academies, it would raise the level of the rookies and make it easier to spot raw talent.You would have Golden State training a 13 year old kid their mentality, their style of playing, getting to know future team mates, the city, etc.

The only reason we don't have relegation and all that unnecessary bullshit with youth academies is because we have college sports

>You would have Golden State training a 13 year old kid their mentality, their style of playing, getting to know future team mates, the city, etc.

Or you would have 3-4 teams buying all the talent and the rest of the league is just there for show unless a billionaire decided he wanted to win something and forked over the cash to buy a title.

Isn't every nig currently bawling over the Golden State "Superteam" hogging all the talent other than LeBron?

Yes but nigs also can't say no to money. With no salary cap teams would just have to write big enough checks.

Northern Norway and even Russia manages to have a proper league system, stop pretending it is for any other reason than to benefit franchise owners lmao

I think you're heart is in the right place as a sports fan but you are just wrong about the economics of how it would play out if there wasn't a salary cap. The "salary cap" is entirely artificial and is negotiated by the players association and the owners. It is in no way a representation of what the players could earn in the free market. If you were to get rid of the salary cap, players would earn more, and there would be an overall improvement of talent. The catch is, what intensive do the billionaire owners have to get rid of the salary cap if they can pay players much below what their value is.

>The "salary cap" is entirely artificial and is negotiated by the players association and the owners. It is in no way a representation of what the players could earn in the free market. If you were to get rid of the salary cap, players would earn more

True

>there would be an overall improvement of talent

False. No one capable of becoming an NBA player refuses to do so because the median salary of $1.7M is too little. That may be true of a sport like football where serious injury can occur but not a relatively harmless sport like basketball

I am not even talking about the salary cap right now, this is another topic of discussion.

i am just saying how it would improve the culture of basketball since you would have more teams fighting until the end, more pro teams.

and it would root down your franchises, since a lot of kids would aspire to be playing for them.Instead of going to North Carolina and getting drafted by Houston, you would get more locals players

yeah it would cut down the market a lot of because franchises would cannibalize each other, but in my opinion it is better than just follow the money

Golden State is good because they drafted well and managed to sign Kevin Durant, not because they have more money than everyone else.

>le beisbol

Playing out the arguments in my head I think that the issue comes down to if you think there is utility to be had in players that don't get drafted and never make the NBA.

This will never happen because it would kill college sports, which in many parts of the country, are ingrained more into the culture than pro sports, and a big money maker in itself.

>yeah it would cut down the market a lot of because franchises would cannibalize each other,
And this is how you end up with The best players will always want to sign with the best teams

See North America is very different from Europe in ways that simple numbers can't express. North American was settled in a time transportation and communication technology was making the world smaller. Something that was a day's travel away in 1500 for the average person is a lot shorter than a day's travel in 1880. The only thing that approximates the smaller mindset of Europe is college sports due to the way a university creates shared experiences among the graduates.

I don't think it matters because basketball is the type of sport where if you put the best C/PG/PF/SF/SG on a team they could go undefeated for years if they stayed motivated. Compare that to a sport like soccer/hockey/football/baseball. Having the 5 best players in those sports would make you dominant but far from unbeatable. That's one of basketball's virtues and one of its weaknesses as witnessed in the playoffs this year

>The best players will always want to sign with the best teams
And that is not true on the current NBA system?What difference would it make for the players?

The difference would be Golden state would make less money, because it would cut down a lot of market from other areas.But the players would still go the where the prestige is at
yeah i know that, i am just writing fanfic right now

A lot of it is for the fans.

Can you imagine being a Browns fan, and being assured that the team WILL go 0-16 because they lost their first 9/10 games? To half almost half a season go down the shitter without them putting up a fight?

The organization would hemorrhage money and go defunct

>And that is not true on the current NBA system?
Didn't realize we were talking about the NBA. Yeah the NBA is broken as fuck currently and is beyond fixing.

Because it's literally a crapshoot. People pretend like getting a first pick is a guaranteed dynasty. It's not. Teams are built on prospects and other traded for players. No one wants to play for a franchise that loses every game. Also, if all the players were in on it and played like shit: guess what? They would kill their value and would never earn as much money, even on a non-winning team. Shit players get traded, not resigned.