ALIEN Movie General

Discuss and share whatever you have about past movies and the upcoming Alien: Covenant.

Last thread approaching bump limit.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Alien-Saga-Collection-Insights-Collections/dp/1608872289/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479909835&sr=8-1&keywords=aliens saga poster
jamescamerononline.com/AlienandAliens.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=-64q4HpZyaY
youtube.com/watch?v=MvBo_rKleNw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Elizabeth Shaw is the villain of Alien: Covenant

Screenshot this post.

How did the xenomorphs in Ressurection know that their blood was corrosive?

Animals have instinct. How do the xenomorphs know how to hunt and kill?

in b4 genetic memory

Even so that instinct should be that their blood burns and wounds their prey. The face that their their acid is especially good against metal doesn't seem like natural knowledge. It's a very huge gamble killing one of your own to test it.

Turning them into animals like this fucking ruined everything i hate resurection and everything after

by far the best origin for aliens and space jocky

They understood that the bonus would be split among all of them.

Fewer shares, more for survivors.

Why didn't they put the xenos in some sort of anticorrosive storage in Ressurection?

I wish they would reboot the franchise. All the old 80s tech and shit in the originals clash hard with sleek future tech in Prometheus.

I got the feeling Fox will reboot the original 2 Alien films after the prequels. I'm sure the special effects and sets will be great but rest will be garbage. I can see Hollywood giving Ripley Lambert as lesbian lover just to pander to the Gay Community.

this pictureslide is wholepletely nonpresentative of REAL spacelivers! only dumb meatmans would think that all spacelive is killhungry and not lovedoing at first see. weak meatmans are just scarehaving of clearly strengther spacelive. stop being so scareplaced and just try to huggiving spacelive next time you sight them. i bet most spacelive not even killlove.

dumb meatmans.

"ASS LIKE A TEN YEAR OLD BOY"

Watching AVP right now. Sure it's garbage, but fun garbage. Plus I really like this scene.

That is not a ten year old boy's ass.

Asses of ten year old boys tend to be way over-developed for all the shit they do, so very firm and very round.

"A dying billionaire embarks on a voyage of discovery to a frozen wasteland. Experimental technology stores his memories. He knows his chances are slim, but it is not the cancer in his lungs that will bring him to his end. Charles Bishop Weyland's final moments are lost to me. Unlike everything else, they cannot be recovered, but they continue to define my existence."

wtf

How did Aliens know how to cut the power off?

I'm Chris Hansen with Dateline NBC, take a seat user

AvP is my guilty pleasure

Don't give them ideas, user.

Custom Extended Edition for ALIEN is great.
The video games and comics are better.

>attended an Alien screening at a local theater
>participated in an Facebook contest where you had to comment your favorite scene of the franchise to win
>I went for the safe choice with the Chestbuster scene (not actually my favorite even if I love it) because it's not like I expected to win anyway
>I actually won and I got, among other things, a nice collection of 40+ Alien posters
>now I can hang pictures of my favorite gross walking penis monster in my room

Felt pretty good.
If anyone wants to buy it it's available on Amazon and it's pretty cheap
amazon.com/Alien-Saga-Collection-Insights-Collections/dp/1608872289/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479909835&sr=8-1&keywords=aliens saga poster

what really is your favorite scene user?

i want to know :3

probably an easy one to counter with ripley already being a sort of icon for the strong female lead in that its not just a male character with tits but a strong character that's greatest strengths revolve around it's feminine characteristics (motherhood etc.).

Could say it's oppressive to straight women and mothers who need more rolemodels.

but god what has the world come when this is a serious topic of conversation?

can't wait for Black Ripley

I prefer Ash's dying monologue
>You still don't understand what you're dealing with, do you? Perfect organism. Its structural perfection is matched only by its hostility.
>I admire its purity. A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.

And I also prefer the scene where Ripley finds Brett and Dallas on the coccoons, which wasn't in the original but in the Director's Cut (which is the one I originally watched).
That scene is the one in the movie that actually disturbs me a lot, and I think it works so well since it plays into the biggest fears of the Xenomorph. Same with the Chesbuster scene but I find the idea of slowly being morphed into an Xenomorph egg to be much creepier than having something burst out of your chest and kill you. And I'm not a fan of Aliens, or any of the sequels, establishing that the Xenomorph can actually sustain itself without the need of a Queen makes it better for me.

Does anyone have any idea what Ridley Scott thought of Aliens? I've always been curious since Alien and Aliens are two very different movies.

He loved it. But of course he felt if he made his own ALIEN II he would've been stumped as to what to do.

Neat. Still glad he's going back to make an actual Alien movie again. Ridley Scott hopefully keeps on living, one of the last directors I really like the majority of his work.

What do you mean "they cut the power"? How could they cut the power, man?! They're animals!

Only didn't like Body of Lies, could go for a rewatch, but glad he's still working. There's a great ALIEN site which covers tons of different topics but I forgot the name of it.

"Theres also no question that Cameron made an excellent film with Aliens. It really is an achievement" (Alien: Illustrated Screenplay)

""It's always tough to follow a successful film with a sequel to it ... It could never be as frightening [in the sequel] because you've already seen it. Therefore, what I think James Cameron [did with ALIENS] was a terrific action-picture. It's difficult what he accomplished"

"I would never ever critique or criticize Aliens because I think it was very successful and what he did was really good" (Jake Hamil int 2012)

source: jamescamerononline.com/AlienandAliens.htm

>I find the idea of slowly being morphed into an Xenomorph egg to be much creepier than having something burst out of your chest and kill you

This. Body horror is one of the best horrors.

RIP H.R. Giger.

>tfw I grew up wanting to make an Alien movie that brought the series back to it's original roots
>with the help of H.R Giger in designing more elaborate set pieces and parts of the Alien world
>poor man fell down the stairs and died and now the series is in the hands of hacks who are going to keep making it the shlocky action series it shouldn't be

Life isn't fair.

if you like video games isolation was pretty true to the original.

So I was just recently watching through the alien movies again and something stood out to me.

Say what you will about the later sequels, but each one of the movies kept the FEEL of the futuristic Alien world pretty consistent. Now of course, each of them had different variations appropriate to the theme (comfy, but cramped and somewhat industrial living quarters of a long haul space ship crew for 1, post battle ghost town with military aesthetic for 2, nasty dirty penal colony for 3) but one stood out and i think this is one of the biggest reasons i hated the 4th one.

It had the SAME look and feel as the penal colony did in 3. Dirty, dank, and dark. Everything is rusted and worn down and nasty. Which is a total shame because they had an opportunity to do a much 'cleaner' more sterile science lab kind of atmosphere that declines as the movie progresses. couldve made the environment a character as much as the other movies did.

Not the first or last time this has been said about Alien 4 but what a wasted opportunity, man..

The better question is why didn't the scientists make their cell out of a material that alien blood couldn't melt through? They knew about the acid blood. Even though they might not have been expecting the aliens to do what they did to escape even an accident that cut one of the aliens open could have freed them.

Then again when questioning the decision making in Resurrection I could do that all day.

I wouldn't have minded that so much if Resurrection had more worthwhile actual characters.

WISH WE COULD TURN BACK TIME

>implying everything Ron Perlman said wasn't pure gold

>Which is a total shame because they had an opportunity to do a much 'cleaner' more sterile science lab kind of atmosphere that declines as the movie progresses. couldve made the environment a character as much as the other movies did.
There wouldn't have been any time for that. AR's pace is so quick, it just rushes through everything, there's no time to spare for establishing the Aurigua as its own character the same way the other films got to establish their environments

Joss Whedon was too busy coming up with puerile comic book setpieces to think the movie through. The characters in Resurrection make the crew of the Prometheus look like thoughtful, careful professionals

top kek

Not at all, I think he was a good character. I just wish there were more worth rooting for or interesting, or something.

Fucking this. Aliens bacame something like fucking tigers or whatever. That just killed it. But to be fair it started with Cameron's Aliens, though the movie was fun, it ruined the franchize.
With Alien 3 Fincher tried to bring it back, but producers fucked him hard and movie was wasted.
Ridley tried to freshen the franchize with Prometheus and failed even worse. Fucking old fart ruined space jockeys too.
RIP the best horror creature of all times.
RIP space horror.
Long live hollywood.

So is Scott going to fuck Covenant up like Prometheus, or knock it out of the park like The Martian? His track record is always so spotty.

I enjoyed Prometheus more than The Martian. I'm probably the only one.

Since Lindelof is not involved, Covenant will likely be fantastic.

Visually yes. In all other aspects no.

Still would. Hard.

Prometheus is Patrician

What's even happening here?

1=2 > Prometheus > 3 > AvP > Resurrection = AvP Requiem

This is objectively correct.

I'm sure Prometheus would have been a sensible and beloved prequel to Alien. Ridley Scott brought his visual skills to the table. But Lindelof came in and wrecked the writing department. Give Ridley a decent script and actors/actresses and he'll give you a fantastic film.

>he thinks AVP are even worth mentioning
>he thinks Aliens can even compete with original Alien
Fuck you.

Implying this isn't kino

youtube.com/watch?v=-64q4HpZyaY

I'm one of those few mutants here that actually like Prometheus and Aliens.

Just started a new Alien Isolation run. Trying to get all the Nostromo logs this time and doing more of a 100% playthrough. Still a fantastic game. Wish we'd get some kind of sequel to it with co-op as an option.

But Ridley thinks too much of himself and tries to put some philosophy/religion behind this while all alien thing is just unexplained spooky shit from space that fucks your mind with bodyhorror and existential fear.

Fuck all that shit about humans are made by space jockeys.
Fuck that space jockeys look humanoid.
Fuck that aliens are biological weapon.
Fuck that aliens behave like any wild animal.
Fuck that alien queen shit.
Fuck everybody who makes that shitty alien comic books, who makes stupid crossovers and faggots who work on next alien movies.

Predators are retarded. They're supposed to be some absolute madmen space niggers that are fucked up with idea of hunting. And they were turned into race of gods who build pyramids and have some honor code and have aliens like their animals.
And aliens in AVP are so weak and dumb, that it is just lame. And then again they were turned into animals with acid instead of blood.
This is so stupid, shit. I can't believe I'm in Sup Forums.

How did the Alien Queen know how to operate an elevator?

Oh, I acknowledge it's a weak movie. No disagreement there. Has nothing on Alien or Predator. I get ironic enjoyment out of AvP. The sequel is straight garbage though.

>giving Ripley Lambert as lesbian lover just to pander to the Gay Community.
Even in that awful Ghostbusters remake they wouldn't even let anyone mention one of the characters being a lesbian in interviews, let alone actually have anything more than hints in the movie.

The only idea of alien queen is fucking degenerate.
>DUDE LET'S MAKE KING SIZE ALIEN LMAO
>AND IT'LL BE A QUEEN
>DUDE!
Turning aliens into bugs in Aliens was a mistake. It all went starship troopers. Not saying it wasn't fun.
But it was a fatal mistake.

shut up.

Fuck you, Cameron. You suck. 3D sucks. And all your last movies are fucking garbage.

Didn't read but holy fuck but nice get dude!

Is the Assembly Cut and Resurrection worth checking out?

I like how later movies only made aliens' blood acidic when it's convenient.

Cameron is a tough act to follow. He does something and no one seems to be able to duplicate it right. Same thing happened with Terminator. Pearl Harbor is a lesser attempt.

The Alien franchise has always had a female lead and somehow no one here throws a stink about Riply being a stronk

The Alien queen is the best designed thing in the entire franchise, which is a massive compliment to Gieger consider that it's essentially his design ran through a photocopier at 2x with some extra creepy bits

Alien 3 is incredibly under appreciated and the assembly cut let's it sit comfortably next to Alien and Aliens.

Alien resurrection is 3/4th of a great Alien movie

Prometheus is well executed bullshit that isn't smart or insightful

Covenant is going to be hailed as a massive return to form for the franchise

1 > 2 > Isolation > 3 > Prometheus
> Resurrection.

Resurrection is not worth it. It's cringy.
Assembly Cut is ok, but it's all they could make out of fucked up movie.

I totally agree. Good taste

>Alien queen is the best designed thing in the entire franchise
Wash your eyes, faggot. Alien itself and facehuggers are gold. Queen is just DUDE BIG ALIEN WITH ADDITIONAL HANDS LMAO.
>Alien 3
It is a B-movie. It's a big downfall.
>Alien resurrection is 3/4th of a great Alien movie
Ripley is a dumb bitch. Characters are degenerate. Alien baby is retarded. And all that independent french movie atmosphere is FUCKING AWFUL SHIT.
>Covenant is going to be hailed
Yes, but it's going to be shit. We say alien design. It's enough to say they're fucked.

I just watched Prometheus again last night, her character is extremely annoying but everything is bad about that movie.

>Discuss and share whatever
What about the bonus situation?

I think Alien: Covenant is going to be Ridley "saying sorry" for Prometheus, to extra fuck Lindelof, Ripley should put a sleazy Jewish character like in Aliens.

Fuck. I forgot how shitty the beefy Predator designs in this movie were.

Honestly this, I consider Isolation an Alien film even though its technically a game

>Alien resurrection is 3/4th of a great Alien movie
>Prometheus is well executed bullshit that isn't smart or insightful

Alien Resurrection is facile garbage that thinks it is far funnier and more clever than it actually is. It's comicbook garbage. its loud rollercoaster design, cartoonish tone and shameless nostalgiabaiting reminds me too much of Jurassic World.

Prometheus is a smart movie about stupid people that is crippled by some unfortunate structural issues. Ridley draws upon the "DNA" of Alien by returning to the tone of the B-movies that inspired his original film as well as the lofty philosophical ambitions and worldbuilding of 2001 that he parodied in Alien '79. Prometheus accurately represents the history of human exploration as filled with stupid people and professionals out of their depth fucking up in extraordinary circumstances. Its view of faith is nuanced; Shaw uses her faith to deal with her trauma despite knowing that its bullshit, something David (who knows his creator gives no shits about him) tries and fails to understand. It pisses all over elephant alien fanon to show you that the greek gods made xenomorphs because to kill you all, and no, you don't get to know why- wanting to meet your god (and wanting to know what the space jockey is) is profoundly stupid, and fanboys deserved the sucker punch they got. All this while keeping the actual xenomorph out of the picture. KINO.

Isolation is the best use of the property since Aliens. I don't really play horror games a lot, but no game or movie made me as genuinely anxious/stressed as Isolation. and game journos bashed it for being too long or for the alien AI being too unpredictable. They don't deserve to play the game.

>Isolation is the best use of the property since Aliens.

Correct.

>degenerate

oh what a meme

If you like Giger's art in general and not just that one page in Necronomicon

youtube.com/watch?v=MvBo_rKleNw

The game wasnt meant for journos, or people who arent fans of the franchise really. It was some of the best fanservice ive ever seen, you can tell it was made by people who really love the universe. Also it may be the scariest game ive ever played, ive never felt so unnerved by a game as I was on that medical mission

These numbers make a convincing argument

They all did. Member Ripley coming back and the lift was back up on rop floor? Infintile young xenos play on them when they're not hunting terraformers or marines.

>It all went starship troopers.

It was Cameron intention, he is a huge Heinlein fan and probably would have done a faithful movie adaptation of the Starship Troopers book if he had a chance.

When I watched the SST movie in 1997 I immediately tought of Cameron's Aliens.

Cameron gave his actors copies of Starship Troopers to read as reference material while filming Aliens.

>Fuck that aliens are biological weapon.
Isn't that implied in Alien, though? They space jockeys have tons of eggs kept in massive chambers. I think in the commentary for Alien Ridley says something about them maybe being a biological weapon as well, though I could be wrong on that.

can someone explain to me the prometheus cycle?
all the other Alien cycles look some what belivible and make sense.

In Alien 1979 it all was a spooky cargo from some outer world. They didn't give any explanation and it was the best thing about it. You see some shit, you feel like there's some kind of logic behind it, but you don't really know what exactly.
They tried to do the same with Prometheus, but it all turned out to be stupid and one big BECAUSE FUCK YOU THAT'S WHY.

>it's about symbolism and visuals
>fuck logic and common sense
Man, you're asking why is retarded person makes retarded things.

Yeah, it all feels like it's all actually there for a purpose, but one we'll never be able to figure out. It's not just there because it has to be for the movie to exist.
I'll have to check out that commentary track again, though, and see if Ridley did actually say it or not.