Looking to get into emo music

Bands I should get into?

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1aGuMAL7tnqWNqir1lPgOCmCDg2y-xMii9lhOyz8SeHw/edit?usp=drivesdk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Sunny Day Real Estate
Snowing
Eldritch Anisette

Although amazing, American Football isn't necessarily representative of emo but I'd definitely listen to it if you haven't already

american football is fuckin gay listen to cap'n jazz or go home

Not sure about "emo" but Bright Eyes got me into music. Fevers and Mirrors might be what you're looking for.

Jimmy Eat World is under-recommended. This album is probably the best entry point into the genre, it's more accessible and clean than even SDRE or AF but don't let that deter you, fantastic songwriting. Just don't expect much else, they never sounded like this before or after

Rites of Spring. REAL emo.

Absolutely yes, my guy.

>Foxing - The Albatross
Kind of accessible comparatively. Has some harsh vocals near the end of the album, but mostly clean vocals. Not a whole lot of twinkle or math elements, but still interesting.
>This Town Needs Guns - Animals
Very heavy on the mathrock influences. The lead singer doesn't have that nasally whiny voice that turns a lot of people off from first getting into emo.

>Merchant Ships - For Cameron
Almost entirely harsh vocals aside from the spoken word song. Absolutely amazing if you're a fan of screaming.

>Empire! Empire! (I Was a Lonely Estate) - What it Takes to Move Forward
Very soft, pretty, twinkly, and with a lot of cool math drumming. I might be inviting a lot of criticism here, but I think it's pretty indicative of Midwestern Emo as a whole.

>Panucci's Pizza - Don't Tip the Delivery Boy
Upbeat, lots of angular guitar riffs, quality shit.

>Mom Jeans. - Best Buds
A lot of people here seem to dislike this album, but I think it's great. It's pretty diverse, and tends to break away from the genre a lot, but is still a terrific album.

>Snowing - Fuck Your Emotional Bullshit
This is a bit harsher, and more chaotic. It took me a while to really appreciate it when I was first getting into the genre, but now I realize just how amazing it is.

>Midwest Pen Pals - Inside Jokes
Pretty similar to Panucci's Pizza. A solid EP that's also pretty indicative of its genre.

Cap'n Jazz - Shmap'n Shmazz
This is a bit like Snowing, in that it's very chaotic, albeit less so. Lots of people will tell you to just listen to Analphabetapolotology, which is their entire discography, but I'd suggest just listening to this, which is the first half of Analaphabetapolotology, and the better half, frankly. I think the quality drops off in their discography after the last song that would play on Shmap'n Shmazz, with a few exceptions, like the Winter Wonderland cover, but that might just be because I like twinkly shit.

i fucking love that daitro record. any others that are similar? i've listened to as the roots undo, it's nice and all but not in the same style.

Essentials everyone knows: American Football, Capn Jazz, Snowing, Algernon Cadwallader, Midwest Pen Pals, Merchant Ships, Rites Of Spring, The Promise Ring, Cursive, Moss Icon, Indian Summer, Dag Nasty
Less well-known but awesome: Bells On Trike, Everyone Asked About You, I Hate Myself, The Jazz June, The Newfound Interest In Connecticut, Pop Unknown, Rainer Maria, Acres

Ah, can't help you, man, sorry. The only albums from the "Screamo" section I've heard so far are Orchid and Iwrotehaikusaboutcannibalisminyouryearbook.

Camping in Alaska's album Please Be Nice

old gray
the world is a beautiful place
foxing
the hotelier
grown ups
tiny moving parts
william bonney
you blew it
agalloch
empire! empire!
nouns
soronity noise
and some of previous

babby's first shitty "emo revival" bands
grown ups and william bonney are good though

Sed Non Saetia (not Saetia) is a good one, their Post-Rock meets Screamo style really oozes of despair and melancholy.

I made an essay about emo music, in case anyone is interested.

I would read it user.

wanna share?

Okay, here's the link.
docs.google.com/document/d/1aGuMAL7tnqWNqir1lPgOCmCDg2y-xMii9lhOyz8SeHw/edit?usp=drivesdk

You could have said more to prove your point.

What do you mean? I did add a last bit from my comment I posted on YouTube.

"Anyway, emo isn't just some subculture; it's a legitimate genre of music NOT based solely on emotional lyrics. If that were the case, Michael Jackson, Metallica and Nirvana would be considered the same genre as Samiam or I Wrote Haikus About Cannibalism in Your Yearbook. Utterly outlandish."