Are they ever going to flesh out the backstory?

Are they ever going to flesh out the backstory?

Who the fuck is the New Order and where did they come from? Why is Luke in Ireland and not on the front lines? What do the Knights of Ren do?

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1t1KovH_1GYLDTAe3yrleeWiuzwulm670o_anQqr5Rcg/pubhtml
youtube.com/watch?v=8kpmSEapnec
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why does c3po have a red arm? Who the fuck is "Snoke"? Why does it have such a stupid fucking name?

>Why does c3po have a red arm?
to sell toys

>Who the fuck is "Snoke"?
Darth Plagueis

>Why does it have such a stupid fucking name?
to hide the fact that he is a villain only mentioned once in the worst film trilogy of all time

Darth Plageus novel didnt make Disney canon.

>Darth Plagueis

Enough of this meme

They hedged their bets. They perfectly split the difference and so the New Order appear to be 50% "The Establishment" and 50% "The Insurgency" and same with General Leia and "The Resistance" who can't decide whether they're the governing body fighting a fascist resurgence or are rebels themselves. Sad, really, and just shows how these sequels appear to be making it up as they go along. I'm sure if they had known Trump was going to win the Presidency they would have very quickly decided to remake the "New Order" as some sort of "populist/fascist" insurgency led by a charismatic cult-figure who's speeches to the masses enthrall and enslave them with his "dark force" charisma. They missed their chance to indoctrinate the kids against Trump as they went into production about a year and a half too early.

long live alderaan

Return of the Jedi provided a satisfying closure. But since Disney had to do this, I would have been okay with smaller, more personal extensions of the series. We didn't need the Empire back (effectively negating all the progress made in the original trilogy) or another chosen one (really hope Disney isn't really going that route), or every conceivable moment in the lives of iconic characters visited (Han Solo trilogy? Seriously?). I'm with Lucas and Cameron on this one.

I finally watched E7 after putting it off for as long as I could last night.
Still not sure what to make of it in relation to the other movies.

Little too fast I guess. Pacing could have been better.
Didn't care for the fact that they attempted to humanize storm troopers with humor.
The light saber fight scenes were the worst I've ever seen in a Star Wars film.
Acting was overall pretty terrible too. Mark was the best in the film, likely because he didn't say anything.

>Pacing could have been better
It took a nosedive after the protagonists left Jakku. It completely died when the focus switched from finding Luke to taking out the Death Star.

>>Who the fuck is "Snoke"?
>Darth Plagueis

Sorry, that would have actually made the films interesting.

This is what's wrong with modern audiences, you all need to be spoonfed the entire story.

When Star Wars came out, nobody knew what the fuck it was, there was a farmboy in a galactic war using pace swords and randoms words like Jedi and Wookie. It's a small window into a moving, breathing universe.

TFA works because it doesn't spend it's time holding your hand and seeing what Luke and Han and the gang have been up to. Just let the new story be told

Maybe if you're into the EU and read the book. No one else gives a shit.

I'm inclined to agree. Instead of following a linear plot that branched out naturally into multiple stories, they broke and segmented the plot half way through the movie which completely devastated the plot's arc.

>Acting was overall pretty terrible too. Mark was the best in the film, likely because he didn't say anything.
Fuck off, Finn and Poe were fantastic

>The light saber fight scenes were the worst I've ever seen in a Star Wars film.
Better than Obi Wan vs Vader in ANH and the magical flipping around in EP2&3

>I need every goddamn thing in every movie neatly spelled out for my fucking stupid ass or my advanced autism triggers anal spasms and uncontrollable diarrhea.

>This is what's wrong with modern audiences

Disagreed. The only thing wrong with modern audiences is they need faster pacing and more action to keep their waning attention spans more focused on the situation. What is really wrong here, is that the 'unknown' film became a franchise, and in doing so fans of the franchise now except a certain element of what they initially enjoyed about it in the first place. The fault lays with directors who don't know when to stop.

>the worst film trilogy of all time
He was mentioned in one of the Thor movies?

Really tired of this excuse. A New Hope works as a standalone film. The Force Awakens does not. Remove the awful Rathar scene and there's plenty of time to provide some context.

> Just let the new story be told
-_-

>I get personally upset when someone criticizes The Force Awakens™

I know a place where you'd fit right in, and it's not here.

If Thor Ragnarok is a legitimately good movie, could it retroactively cast a better light on its predecessors?

>Better than Obi Wan vs Vader in ANH
so you missed the point of that scene entirely. got it

What point is that?

you need to watch it again as some of your assertions are about 180 off from true.

Please post out which assertions you think are wrong, so I can correct your incorrect thinking.

go watch a few RLM videos on youtube and you'll understand these threads better

>spend 3 movies taking on the empire and their ultimate weapons and finally defeating them
>next movie shows that nothing changed and they have even better weapons somehow
whys does force awakens shit on 4-6?

>to sell toys
That bothered me because it was so fucking obvious.
>Han Solo, it's me C-3PO. You may not recognize because of my red arm
>arm suddenly gold again at end of movie
I mean it's not Jar Jar tier in terms of trying to sell toys but fuck come on Disney.

Wait, you missed the best part.

>Rogue 1 will have ANOTHER Death Star.

>destroying their ultimate weapon destroys the entire empire
>imlying there wouldn't be loads of well-equipped loyalists long after the death star was destroyed
But yeah I agree.

Pretty sure they're doing that with books and shit.

To show the passage of time. He's a droid, he doesn't age. Showing something different about him is a way to show that he's changed somehow. It's the same reason George showed him with different designs in the prequels.

>Who the fuck is "Snoke"?
No one knows. But no one really knew who the emperor was after ESB, either.

Lots of Star Wars characters have stupid names. At least his name isn't Darth Icky or Darth Insanius. George Lucas was shit at naming bad guys, too.

They're saving details about Snoke, the Knights of Ren, Luke's disappearance, etc. for the movies, but they have explained the broad political situation of the galaxy in the books (what is the First Order, what is the New Republic, what is the Resistance, etc.).

>go watch a few RLM videos

I actually tried watching some of their videos once since this board seems to circlejerk them enough. It was truly terrible, like childishly bad.

It was some 30-something dudes making inane observations about movies with shitty scripted humour. What is the attraction?

>well equipped loyalists have better weapons than both deathstars

finally saw this and it was very enjoyable

pure star wars action

tv was wrong as usual

TFA drops enough info to put the basics together about the state of politics in the galaxy. The New Republic is stable and at the top of the food chain as expected from the events of RotJ, the First Order is a band of fanatics the New Republic has let drop from their radar, and the Resistance is clearly a fringe pro-Republic group working a hair outside official jurisdiction.

It's in the fucking movie.

What TFA does wrong here is it doesn't show the Republic in power enough, and it abso-fucking-lutely doesn't do enough for the First Order to make their megadethstar20XX feel earned. It was built too fast by a group that should have been underfunded and lacking in supply.

kys

>It was built too fast by a group that should have been underfunded and lacking in supply.

This is why all screen writers should be co-writing with a CPA. No understanding of economics.

But OP they explained the Luke thing in the movie already. Luked trained Kylo, Kylo betrayed him and killed a bunch of people, Luke felt guilty and went to search the original Jedi temple for guidance.

Did people really not understand the events of TFA?

>After the Battle of Endor the Empire is fractured, but still the most powerful force in the galaxy
>The Rebellion forms the New Republic, but the leaders are nervous about waging a galactic-scale war and instead of trying to stamp out the Empire entirely, they make a peace treaty
>The Empire devolves into splinter groups, but the most powerful factions unite to form the First Order
>Meanwhile the leadership of the New Republic is divided, and many of the leading military members of the Rebellion are suspicious of the peace treaty
>These people form the Resistance, a group that vows to continuously resist the Empire in all it's forms. Their goal is to keep tabs on the First Order
>In the interest of preserving peace, the New Republic disavows from the Resistance
>The First Order uses old military designs to rebuild the Emperor's unfinished second death star, the most powerful weapon ever created.
>They do this in secret under the auspices of the peace treaty
>TFA begins when the First Order has finished their project, and breaks the peace treaty by launching an attack on the NR

Honest question, do you guys think that Finn is Force Sensitive or not?

>Who the fuck is the New Order and where did they come from?

The remnants of the Empire that fled into Unknown Space and has amassed power. Yes, what happened five years later in the old EU happened 30+ years later in the new EU.

>What do the Knights of Ren do?

I think they're supposed to be some kind of Jedi hunters or just elite soldiers personally under Kylo Ren's command. Snoke does call Kylo "Master of the Knights of Ren". What I hope is that they're all Force Sensitive badasses in Episode 8. I hope the leak is untrue where Luke just BTFOs the Knights, I feel like it may be a waste of good villains.

But its Luke Skywalker. They cant make a big deal and an entire first movie about searching him just to get his ass handed to him by new villains in the second movie.

Black people are naturally sensitive to the Force. That's why you see them bolt as quick as they do when scared, or the force tells them their side hoe is pregnant. The midichlorians scream, 'yo son, bounce de fuk out, shets be get reel'.

The first one is a guilty pleasure of mine

What did you all think of Rey? I did not like her. For some odd reason her eyes were always really wide opened. And she knew too much about everything without any build up.

>And she knew too much about everything without any build up.

Such as?

Luke literally has to BTFO everyone he fights, he's the most powerful force user in history. There's a reason the whole first movie of the new trilogy is both sides trying to find him.

To have him lose to a bunch of Inquisitor knockoffs would completely fuck over the entirety of both the Old Canon and what it seems like they're trying to set up in the New Canon.

She did a jedi mind trick

There a list of what did?

She knew how to fight really well, how to pilot, fix ships and learned how to use the force really really fast. The mind control scenes and the force pull for example. Luke trained a lot to do that and had a master jedi to help him. She had nobody. I liked Finn more.

From her flashbacks we saw that she was with Kylo Ren at some point in her childhood, it's not unlikely she received the same training he did.

>She knew how to fight really well,
She was raised as a scavenger on Jakku, constantly having to defend herself

>how to pilot, fix ships
She's a mechanic, and all force-sensitive Skywalkers have been phenomenal pilots from a young age.

>and learned how to use the force really really fast. The mind control scenes and the force pull for example. Luke trained a lot to do that and had a master jedi to help him. She had nobody.
She was with Kylo Ren in her youth, the flashbacks show that

>I liked Finn more.
Agreed, the New Trilogy should be just Poe and Finn broing down

What was it like in the 70s when the first film was called Episode IV? Was everyone confused as to where I-III were?

This is actually the most intriguing question.

I don't want him to get his ass kicked, I do want Luke to be as powerful as he's being hyped as being. But "leaks" from the Episode 8 set seem to only mention the Knights of Ren in in a single scene being easily dispatched by Luke. I want a little more than that.

And I also want the Knights of Ren so that the Sequel Trilogy breaks away from the one light side Master (consular) and their apprentice vs one dark side Master and their apprentice. Seeing a group of dark siders interacting and working together would be really cool. It might also illuminate more of why the Sith followed the Rule of Two.

"HOL' UP, IMMA SENSIN' SUMTHIN".

But for real, Rey's just another iteration of a super powerful Force User from a desert planet who's almost certainly a Skywalker. I've seen it all before, and she's overpowered, which makes her journey pretty boring as she's gained so much so quickly.

I find Finn's character much more interesting because of his Stormtrooper background and the fact that he deliberately doesn't have an important lineage. He's from a completely different world, being raised from birth to be a soldier. How does that affect his worldview and his interactions with others? Him being a Force User could make a much more unexpected story because within the canon EU, there's no template for him to follow, whereas you can kinda already see where Rey's headed.

>those troopers below Finn without the mutton chops
I don't remember them. They look neat. Any story on em?

>most powerful force user
thats still Anakin/Vader

I finally just saw this today. my God it was terrible. Is it suppose to be cute that its a direct copy of epi. IV??? Funny thing is i think rouge one could be good-instead of a copy of the o. series we get vader/death star back,, instead of these weak copies.
Who casts tfa???? they should have never let ren take the mask off.

I can't love the man enough

>Who the fuck is the New Order and where did they come from?
Go read the Star Wars™:Aftermath™ series
Go read Star War™ Special:C-3P0™ #1
>Why is Luke in Ireland and not on the front lines?
>What do the Knights of Ren do?
To be revealed in future fine Star Wars™ properties

Which books? I didn't know there want that took place post RTJ

Nope. He had the potential to become the most powerful, but his injuries cut him off from that.

Say full potential Anakin is a level 20, and Yoda and Sheev are level 12. After his injuries, Vader only reached level 11.

Luke has only 75% of Anakin's potential but he maximizes all of it, so he's like a level 15.

There's a shit ton of them. There was a whole line last year called Journey to The Force Awakens
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1t1KovH_1GYLDTAe3yrleeWiuzwulm670o_anQqr5Rcg/pubhtml

Lucas said he was about 2x the emperor at his best, but after the injuries, about 0.8.

It's not one thing that she does, it's all of these things together that makes her overpowered. The most ridiculous thing to me is her mentally overpowering Kylo Ren. Imo, that moment doesn't make sense given what we know of the Force.

Your strength in the Force is based off of your talent, your ability to connect with the Force (which can presumably be honed through practice), and your belief in its power.

If you look at Rey, she's in a clean sterile environment, strapped to what is clearly a torture chair, being menaced by the tall black cloaked figure that deflected her blaster shots in the forest before threatening her with his lightsaber and freezing her body with a gesture. And she's either never touched the Force before or she's actively using it for the first time in 10 years. On the other hand, Kylo spends some time every day communing with the Force and he's in his element, tormenting what he thinks is a helpless prisoner.

There's no way she should've been able to push back into Kylo's mind. And the thing with Rey's character in TFA is that it's not enough that she holds her own against people she should have no business beating, she has to exceed them as well. I wouldn't really care if Rey had just managed to keep Kylo out of her mind in the interrogation room or if she had just stalemated him in the Starkiller forest.

But as of the end of Episode 7, she's already stronger than Kylo Ren and she's about to be trained some more, she's got the respect of everyone she's encountered, from Leia, to Chewie to Kylo to Snoke, and she's captain of the Millennium Falcon. Where does she go from there?

Bloodline and the Aftermath trilogy take place after ROTJ. Unfortunately they're both pretty bad and all of the major plot points can pretty much be summed up by a lot of the posts here.

What??? Kylo only killed the other students 6 years before TFA, she was on jakku since she was a little kid.

>Where does she go from there?
The Dark Side

The story can only get interesting if it's about Kylo/Ben and Rey redeeming themselves after their Fall

I would like it a lot of Rey ends up as a sith and Kylo as a Jedi.

>Your strength in the Force is based off of your talent, your ability to connect with the Force (which can presumably be honed through practice), and your belief in its power.

Exactly, Kylo Ren is a conflicted character. He's deeply vulnerable and unsure about his powers and his place in the Light/Dark divide of the force. His ability to use the force is hampered by that inner turmoil, so when he meets a force-sensitive person with a clear-minded ability to defend herself unreservedly, he's initially overwhelmed.

Although I do agree with you, Rey is an overbuilt character without a lot of room to grow, unless she gets poisoned by the dark side.

Are there any good Disney canon books?

Tarkin was written by Luceno, and I liked Plagueis, so I might pick that up. How about the Vader book?

Will disney allow this?

New Order were formed from the ashes of Joy Division. They has several hits including "Blue Monday".

>Rey redeeming themselves after their Fall
what fall?

That seems about right if the power levels don't scale exactly linearly. Something like:
>Level 1
Inexperienced Jedi Younglings like the ones Anakin kills
>Level 2
Intermediate Younglings like the ones in season 5 of the Clone Wars
>Level 3
Advanced Younglings like the ones in the Clone Wars season 3 finale
>Level 4
Average Padawan. Ezra and Ahsoka at the beginning of the Clone Wars
>Level 5
Average Knight. Kanan, the Inquisitors, Ahsoka at the end of the Clone Wars
>Level 6
Average Jedi Master. The Grand Inquisitor, Anakin and Obi Wan in AOTC, Luke in ESB.
>Level 7
Average Jedi Council member, Asajj Ventress, Savage Opress, weak version of Grievous
>Level 8
Obi Wan in ROTS, Maul, Ahsoka in Rebels
>Level 9
Dooku, strong version of Grievous, Windu, Old Ben
>Level 10
ROTS Anakin/Vader, Luke in ROTJ
>Level 11
Suit Vader
>Level 12
Sheev and Yoda
>Level 15
Post ROTJ Luke
>Level 20
Full potential Anakin, Mortis beings

She wasn't with Kylo Ren in her youth and she was never Luke's student. She's been on Jakku since she was 6 and nothing went wrong until 6 years before TFA.

Tarkin is excellent. If the Vader one you're referring to is Lords of the Sith, it's good but not as good as Tarkin. The Ahsoka novel is also good.

I've read those, Bloodline, the Aftermath trilogy, and I plan on picking up the Thrawn book. As far as I'm aware, none of the other books have as much of a connection to either the movies or tv shows so I haven't bothered with them.

I think we can all agree

+1

Switch ROTS and TFA.

>ESB
>Perfect
Why does everyone forget about the Space Worm filler?

Phantom Menance should be on the same tier as A New Hope. If has the deepest, most multilayered plot, the best fight scenes, and Qui-Gon. Jar Jar and podracing were the only flaws.

mfw

Because it's not a big deal.

Jar Jar is a BIG flaw.

Why is that robot giving me the middle finger.

He's giving you his BB-8.

It's not. This was one of those things that most people knew or at least suspected happened even if it was never confirmed. She just finally confirmed it.

Ho Lee Fuc

is this significant or
youtube.com/watch?v=8kpmSEapnec

eh

>T-The OT did le same thing :DD;D
It is seriously a problem. It seems like the "resistance" is supposed to be the underdog, but the "Republic" is somehow separate from it, and the First Order could either be a remnant of the Empire or like Neo-Imperials who rose up after the Empire was destroyed (even if it was we don't know how or why). Either way it still doesn't make sense how they could have the resources to build a planet-sized Death Star, the implication originally was that the OG empire could build even the regular Death Star because they had the entire galaxy and strong centralization at their disposal (this is OT + PT), First Order seems to at best be a rogue state with some amount of resources but clearly weaker than the old Empire, how they were able to build something that retardedly huge UNNOTICED is a writing error pure and simple, they just thought

>DUDE LETS HAVE A DEATH STAR™ BUT BIGGER THATLL BE A GOOD MEME LE REMAKE FOR LE NEXT GENERATION OF STAR WARS™ FANS™ LMAO

but didn't even bother to have it make sense in the film.

>Jar-Jar
>Anakin hiding in a spaceship and accidentally single-handedly winning a space battle
>Forced nostalgia of R2D2 and C3PO
>Fucking Jar-Jar Binks
>Retarded pacing until Darth Maul shows up
>A teenage girl being elected Queen of Naboo
>Midichlorians
>Immaculate conception
>Anakin being the most incompetent and annoying child-actor in history

It's hot garbage, saved only by John Williams score and Darth Maul

>You will never again experience the crowds reaction when BB-8 did this for the first time

For all it's flaws, TFA had some great moments

>Hype up this new bigger more dangerous death star
>Blow it up in the first film

I did not like that one bit.

>tfw you like AOTC and ROTS enough to put them in a flawed but decent tier

>having a death star at all

I did not like that one bit.

Agreed. Bringing back a Death Star was retarded. Should have been a Death Sun. Way cooler.