ITT: Post the album that was the single most important influence in your taste in music

ITT: Post the album that was the single most important influence in your taste in music

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/E1hcmUm_RNU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's actually multiple, but this one and Diary helped me get into emo music, and stopped me from thinking it was all suicidal garbage.

Even though I rarely listen to Radiohead anymore, Kid A was still pretty new when I first heard it at age 16. Before that point I pretty much only listened to Tool, Smashing Pumpkins, and the Beatles. Afterward I promptly started getting into jazz, electronic, post punk, and anything involving Brian Eno.

this image is accurate

I don't care what you think Sup Forums, I love it.

Picking this over WYWH or Meddle - why?

Picking these over Animals or Dark Side - Why?

Animals I can respect but DSOTM is almost as big a meme as The Wall.

Me too. First album I really sat down and listened to all the way through. Not my favorite of theirs, but it's definitely underrated here

for sure

nothing else has ever equated to that first listen

I see why it gets a bad rap - it's kinda edgy and Rogers kinda dominates it, with Gilmour in particular contributing very little.

Regardless I think it's an amazing album and I consider it my favorite because it was my first. I literally did not listen to music other than what I heard on the radio, until I was introduced to this by my older brother at ten. Comfy memories man.

>DUDE CONTRARIANISM LMAO
>DUDE CULTURALLY SIGNIFICANT ALBUMS AS "MEMES" LMAO

Being a Pink Floyd contrarian is an even bigger meme

Yup

Probably Mewithyou's AB Life or Tera Melos' untitled. When I discovered those late eighth grade it changed everything for me.

the album that got me into post-rock, which got me into ambient, drone, and jazz, which are now some of my favorite genres. before this i only really listened to new wave/post punk and alt/indie rock

I shit you not
I finally have seen the light and realized the value of Album as a format, nonstop 40-50 minutes of themed music.

My start with metal

This is the first album that made me start listening to whole albums and made me start finding music I normally wouldn't listen to.

Not the official art but fuck it.

this album changed my life

>4 year old album
christ user

My first listen to this was fucking shit. I asked my brother what song was playing in this icecream shop in Austin and he told me it was The Avalanches. Skipped through every song on there and didn't find it. Even now it doesn't really do anything for me, none of the songs are very fun to play imo.

I don't really care for it either but that apparently means I hate fun

youtu.be/E1hcmUm_RNU
this changed me so much

Unironically, this got me to listen to full albums and appreciate every song on them.

when I was 12 this blew my fucking mind

Fuck the haters, vro. That album is good.

The most boring choice, but this one still remans completely relevant for me after all these years. Also, Muse - Origin of Symmetry. These two essentially broadened my horizons enough to start appreciate all the genres (especially electronics), not just something that I used to. Also fell in love with a good bass line.

these but unironically

Got me out of my metal phase.

Probably this or Post by Bjork
Post got me deeper into music in general, and Just Got Back got me into punk and emo and hardcore and more experimental music
Just Got Back is my fav album ever

Josh kinda looks like Ross in that scene
Funny how I never noticed his weight loss in later seasons

I owe a lot to this album

Shaped my approach to soundcraft in my own music

Given what a meme ACTUALLY is, those albums are undoubtedly (strong) memes./

seconded here, never really could get into it

This got me out of listening to exclusively country music and got me into a variety of genres.

Makes me look like a pretentious tardo, but I don't think any other album will change how I look at music more than TMR.

One of the best albums of all time. Ignore all the other fags

This album allowed me to listen to anything outside of rock music. I never found the beauty in upbeats, harmony, and rich contrapuntal music until I heard this. There's nothing like the feeling of sitting somewhere and hearing that super tiny detail panned to the right ear play in your head all day, then get home and listen to it.

pic related and the first Exumer album.

Even though I got into experimental/psychedelic music several years after hearing this, I feel like MF18M pre-conditioned me to like that type of music.

First album I listened to all the way through. Made me realize lyrics could be an integral and rewarding aspect of an album, everything I'd heard before this was top 40 etc.

CAN YOU DO

Either The Sunset Tree or anything by Cake was the first music i heard not on the radio

huh? can i do what?

I used to listen to this alongside Life After Death and various Earth, Wind & Fire albums in the car with my dad as a kid.

I'd say those three are definitely the biggest influences to my taste in music.

The day Reich dies will be a dark one.

really? I feel like the album was a bit of a disappointment compared to some of his earlier singles

From reviewing a lot of the images posted and many of your comments here it's difficult to say whether many of you actually love music at all. Seriously. Relationships survive because of development.

OP's question is too hard to answer for me. My answer is 'I don't know'.

All media is a meme. You are very stupid. Stop posting.

THE MILANO MOSH

That's BY FAR the worst ATCQ album.

This is one of the few albums that blew my mind.

i can and i will!
snowmageddon is raging outside, SOD will guide me.

>not The Love Movement

Anyways, it's the one that I remember my dad always had in the car and I really liked the album cover. I've still got the original CD with the case packed away.

Tough to say on the hiphop side of my music, but in alt-rock/medal I can say without a doubt Electra 2000 was my gateway album.

Singles, sure. circles from entrance ep and jupiter from bipolar paradise blow all of end credits away, but this is the first album that I consistently enjoyed listening to the entire thing start to finish

pretty underground, this album made me appreciate hip hop more and notice the little things artists did, also got me into art and underground music of all genres

specifically the song vague space

you've listened to SM before pavement?

that's fair I suppose

Same. Disintegration showed me there's so much more to music than I thought.

Got me out of my initial teenage hip hop phase.
Before The Unforgiven I'd thought they'd sound like grindcore or something.

Half a year later I'd discover "Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not" and AM's first EP thus starting to appreciate indie rock (I thought it was unexceptionally boring) and everything from there.

>Born in 88
>This was my first bootleg cassette
I didn't forge my taste in music so much as it taught me to listen to complete albums

*rapes you*

blew my mind at the time

My first real introduction to indie. From here I went into Built to Spill a lot and eventually winded up at Slint somehow. TMAA kickstarted it all.

Pictures of You makes me tear up

This album blew my fucking 15 year old mind. The way it mixed experimental hip hop with strong hooks and catchy melodies got me into music I wouldn't have heard otherwise

This album pissed me off so much that I lost more than half a decade to "finding my interests" which really was just code for locking myself away during college and throwing away every opportunity I had with the excuse that I "needed time to think". If it weren't for me being so deeply unsatisfied by this album lightly touching on a perfect-yet-underrepresented sound in modern music, I would have never started looking for new music, I would've never reconsidered my tastes, I would've never reconsidered my belief in God, I would've never made it my goal to redefine myself and improve, and I wouldn't be here past midnight on a weeknight sharing my deepest darkest secrets with anons that probably didn't even read anything I typed anyway. What is the definition of insanity?

With out A7x i’d never have listen to king crimson.