So, what did Sup Forums think of this film? Just saw it and was pretty impressed

So, what did Sup Forums think of this film? Just saw it and was pretty impressed.

the first half of the movie was amazing. The suspense was brilliant, Villeneuve really nailed the otherworldly feel of the UFO. So much unnatural and genuinely unsettling imagery. The experience was augmented by the soundtrack. I loved the unconventional and disorienting camera placement as Amy Adams first boarded the UFO.

Then the movie became very different right around the part where Jeremy Renner did that expository monologue.

I didn't think the second half was bad, but the first half is the half I'll remember.

Even worse than Intershitter.

Arrival is practically capeshit. The film was made so middlebrow viewers like you can tip your film buff hats and be tricked into feeling like you're a somehow more discerning viewer, appreciating the medium on a level beyond the plebes, but it's normiecore schlock all the same. This film was Nolan level spoonfeeding trash, Villeneuve just hasn't gotten to the point where his name has become unfashionable yet.

I liked it

Where did your uncle touch you as a child?

Up the asshole.

Magical time travel bullshit ruined everything.

What could have been:
>In the first drafts of the script, the "gifts" to humanity were meant to be different pieces of technology given to each landing site, with the U.S. receiving plans for a spaceship capable of faster than light travel, China receiving a design that revolutionizes life support, Peru getting the key to manipulating gravity, Japan receiving a way of creating water from air, Britain receiving the formula to build a composite hull that is impervious to cosmic radiation, and Saudi Arabia getting celestial coordinates. However, this was all changed when Denis Villeneuve saw Interstellar (2014) and told the screenwriter to change the "gifts" to something else, in order to avoid similarities between the two films.

Fucking sublime. A hard-scifi movie that doesn't give a fuck if the audience understands it or not, which is obviously the case judging some of these threads,

Better than Interstellar. I now have full faith in Villeneuve's Blade Runner.

First half was great, second half was absolute garbage. They totally failed to develop any of the characters and the whole "dude but what if we could SEE time" stoner nonsense killed the rest.

>muh free will vs determinism fall dichotomy

Amy Adams was really good though. Easily her best performance.

I just got back from seeing this. Thought it was good. Never realized how much of a sucker id be for a sci fi flick that incorporated linguistical concepts like the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis. Reminds me of something i'd think of while high during a lecture in uni

tipped my fedora when Jeremy Renner said science was the foundation of society

someone in my theater booed and threw something at the screen during the ending montage

she's always great

agreed

>"Hard"

Blindsight is a hard sci-fi contact story.

Arrival is mushy like Interstellar.

Like most of Villeneuve's movies, it's a entertaining romp the first time around but leaves zero desire to see it again.

I really enjoyed the plot concept of language altering ones perception of reality. It's nothing something I've seen in a movie before and it really stood out to me. Not many movies can surprise me anymore, but this one threw in something new and I really appreciated it for that.

When I see this meme sometimes I wonder if there are people who seriously go to movies with fedoras in hand so they can tip them at the appropriate moments

>film

this desu

The sequence between arriving at the base to the end of the first meeting was an incredible visual depiction of the weight of stress and the mantle of responsibility.
There were a couple of really odd moments in the movie where the characters were like, "oh man, hold up the viewer might be getting lost, let's meet up in the hallway for 30 seconds of expository dialogue".
The actual moment and line for the reveal was very well done, but the whole twist is one of those things that gets stupid when you start thinking about it.
But overall, bretty gud. Before the movie there were 2 previews for upcoming space movies that were both just 90 seconds of explosions and hollywood romance so looking back on that I'm just happy I made the effort to go out and see the rare slow paced sci-fi movie in the theatre.

A movie for stupid people to feel smart.

Pretty much this. The first half was a masterpiece of suspense and atmosphere (something Villeneuve excels at) but when it starts getting into the meat of it something is lacking. Still good, but definitely lacking compared to the beginning.

Cool scenes with nice cinematography when they go to the ship.

Other than that it was about as retarded as a nolan flick and not as fun. Retarded plebs like it cause it makes them think they're intelligent for watching it, same effect as nolan's flicks.

No fucking way. Is this real? This is a big part of why this movie made no fucking sense

This is a great defense of this movie. Slow-paced, great sense of atmosphere. But ultimately it fell apart to me

For me, the ending twist retroactively makes the movie worse.

The only difference between people loving this movie and hating it is M. Night Shmalayan's name on the title

Dumbed down nicely for tvtards.

> doesn't give a fuck if the audience understands it or not

The second half of the movie was basically, "JUST IN CASE YOU DIDN'T GET IT, SHE'S REMEMBERING THE FUTURE"

I can't be the only one that was reminded of slaughter house five?

torrent when

It was good. Wouldn't watch it a second time only because it has no rewatchability

Pretty coo.

I'm not sure what the aliens' gift was though. How does the ability to flatten time manifest itself in humans? Is it really that much of a gift? It's a bit fatalistic and depressing.

Does only Amy Adams gets the power because she's a genius? Or because she got touched by the alien fog? Or does everyone learn once they master the alien's language? Society in the flash-forwards didn't look disturbed or different.

You have to stretch pretty far to find a real gift other than the power of love or acceptance or something.

>Or does everyone learn once they master the alien's language
That's how I took it. As a linguist, she was uniquely capable of understanding the language in a way that went beyond merely translating it

Am I having a stroke or did you post this exact thing a few days ago?

>Sup Forums has been shilling this movie for over a month
>everybody has watched it
>more than 50 threads all with the same image a day
>somehow not a torrent anywhere

hmmmmmmmmm

It was good but not something I'd ever watch again. It gets compared to Interstellar a lot and whole Arrival is probably the better movie I think Interstellar is infinitely more watchable. Ultimately toyed with interesting concepts but it felt a little too constrained like it had nowhere to take them.

Optimistic for Blade Runner now because he'll have more room to let these theoretical concepts and ideas breath.

I think he'd do a bang up job at an Alien movie desu. The first half of this movie could have been a good Prometheus.

>Japan receiving a way of creating water from air

talk about drawing the short straw, you can do that every a plastic bag

>Plebbit: The Movie

I was wondering about that "one of twelve" thing. The Americans had all the words and tons of recorded conversations, there's no reason they couldn't figure out the language on their own.

I thought of that too.

Maybe the aliens are pranksters.
> Send 12 monstrous ships to 12 different countries (all who have separate militaries, and may hate each other)
>Say there is a powerful weapon err gift inside
>Don't say anything else
>See what happens!

I just realized this was what Joaquin Phoenix was talking about.

Are you talking about penises?

I really enjoyed it.

However, as with most films like this, I'm guessing people will probably think it's much deeper than it actually is and it'll be remembered as some grand masterpiece. I'm getting Inception flashbacks already, not necessarily the masterpiece part but just all the "Llol it's soooooooo confusing wut was goin on :DD;D?...!" shit.

It was good though. very high marks for showing restraint where other films would've been more in your face. One of the better "classic scifi" film releases I remember in a while but nothing revolutionary. I probably liked it more than I should because I like linguistics.

Arrival wasn't hard, but it was harder than Interstellar.

In the book, it was implied that the aliums came and visited because they knew they would; for no other reason but to observe what they already knew.

Really? I've seen all his other movies at least twice and still wouldn't say I'm bored of them

>Movie argues for determinism
>Protagonists receives information from the future to produce a result that would have been impossible otherwise
It lacked self-awareness and could have ascended its reddit-tier philosophy.

No this is not true, movie is based off of a short story

>Better than Interstellar

Not saying much.

Dumb exaggerated Hollywood shit compared to the short story.
>change viewing screens to big black potato chip ships
>change simply curious aliens into spooky giants who want humanity's help in the future because reasons
>change ambiguous idea of whether she can see the future or is just going through memories of her daughter non-linearly to her literally gazing into the future
>use this explicit magic power in new cheap thrilling climax because the entire world should sing Kumbaya

>gazing into the future
non-linear perception of time =/= future vision

This is stupid.

At least the current gift of language ties into the theme of the original short story well.

It literally is.

/thread

Me too brah.

It was more like a memory, but not from the past...

The editing was perfect.

For example the first contact scene.
So much built tension and atmosphere and Amy Adams freezing right at the point of contact and a sudden jump cut to the decontamination chamber.
Brilliantly executed where other movies would further prolong the scene with the actual contact being shown and therefore lose all the built tension.

Reminded me of the jump cut from the dusty silent explosion aftermath in Sicario to a close up of Emily Blunt's bloody head in the shower. Same use like the decontamination chamber.

is it as good a the short story?

i loved the story btw.

Why should a movie be as similar as possible to the original material?
Why even make a movie if all you are going to do is copypaste from a book?

That said, it does the story justice and further examines some concepts from it.