What was it like seeing LOTR in cinemas? I never saw them myself

What was it like seeing LOTR in cinemas? I never saw them myself.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=ApUu1DA5HCs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

annoying cunts around you

saw two towers at cinema when i was 11

literally front row seats

twas quite neck breaking

two towers was probably the best one. helm's deep was insane.

Magical, we saw them loads and each time the crowd seemed mesmerized so there were fewer pissants and popcorn rattlers.

Return of the King was the only film I've ever seen with an actual intermission.

It was an incredible experience. My grandfather took me to see each one and got the trilogy of books for Christmas after the first one came out so I could tide myself over between movies. I can't even describe how it really felt to me, because seeing those movies in theaters with my grandpa, was just a perfect moment captured in time. It was like we were both the same age, childhood friends, watching the screen with true awe and wonderment.

To this day I can't watch them without tearing up, especially now that he's been dead for a few years. LOTR will always stand out to me as something special thanks to that, and never subjecting myself to the Hobbit beyond the first 45 minutes of the first movie.

Every time was the shortest three hours of my life.

>tfw you will never watch lotr on the big screen on release night

Hey, maybe we'll experience something similar with our kids or grandkids and who am I kidding, this was it. Nothing left to do but grow old and bitter.

I saw Fellowship once

Two Towers 3 times

Return 5 times in theatres

When I saw FOTR I was only 12 but the opening prologue blew my mind and I began to be obsessed with fantasy novels and worlds for the next 10 years of my life

All you need to do is befriend the friendly neighborhood theater manager and somehow convince them to play the Extended Editions over a weekend.

How much money would the trilogy make if it was shown again in theaters?

I was around 7 or 8 when I saw Return of the King in theaters. I was absolutely blown away. The scene inside Mount Doom actually had me literally on the edge of my seat. I was totally enthralled and my heart was pounding out of my chest. Then I cried when Frodo left Middle Earth then I had to pee cause it was like 3 fucking hours and I had drank a large soda

>When I saw FOTR I was only 12 but the opening prologue blew my mind and I began to be obsessed with fantasy novels and worlds for the next 10 years of my life

fucking THIS, my little 11 year old mind was absolutely blown away by the prologue, especially during the battle of the Last Alliance on the slopes of Mount Doom. Talk about a fucking hook. And then you follow that up with ~40 minutes of comfyness in the Shire?

Tell me more, senpaitachi

Only 5 more years until theatres can show them as a 20th anniversary event. Can't wait.

Imagine being a kid, right? With imagination, like. You can see shit in your head when you read, right? And there you are, your sister is whining about this thick boring book she can't finish because it's so dumb, and you read the back cover and you go, hey this seems cool, and you give it a try. And then you see the world Tolkien paints with his words, right? And you see all the characters and everything they do and you can't get enough of it and then you read the whole thing and then you read The Hobbit and then your dad goes yo kid let's go watch something in the theaters and you're sitting there, bored at the previews and what do they show, they show a trailer for Fellowship of the Ring and HOLY FUCK IT'S LORD OF THE RINGS AND IT'S RIGHT THERE ON THE BIG SCREEN and then the preview stops and the movie starts and you don't even remember what the movie was because you only cared about the preview for Fellowship you saw and then you chew your dad's ear out until he reads the books too and goes damn this shit's whack, yo, and then you go see them all together as they come out because it wouldn't feel right any other way than seeing them together.

hella

fr*aking

epik

Pretty awesome cinema experience, they really benefit from a huge screen and proper sound system. But even I thought the third one was a tad too long.

Release night of RotK was pretty funny. Since I was 13, and the movie premiered like 1am in the morning because of ads and FotR as well TT being shown prior to it, I went home at like 5 am. My mother basically called me in between films and during breaks to check if everything was alright. Thanks mom.

>you're sharing a board with """"""""people"""""""" who are too young to have seen LotR in cinema

What can men do against such reckless youth?

>mfw people unironically started clapping after Return of the King
>I was 11 and still remember it being weird
>mfw I'm not even American

fels pretty bad desu. I wish my Dad wasn't quite so protective

>seeing The Two Towers at midnight on thursday before it opened
>entire theater is packed with fans
>movie starts, Gandalf is hanging onto the cliff
>Gandalf lets go and goes into freefall
>camera follows gandalf as he GRABS HIS SWORD AND KEEPS FIGHTING THE BALROG IN FREEFALL, the ABSOLUTE MADMAN
>entire theater goes completely apeshit

best experience I've ever had seeing a movie in a theater

Seeing the first two was an amazing experience, unforgettable. I remember being disappointed by RotK though, and I remember people being very confused at the end. It was hilarious actually, people kept standing up thinking the movie was over and then sitting back down when it kept going. One person even exclaimed "finally!" when the credits started rolling and others laughed

>>entire theater goes completely apeshit

So glad I'm not an Americuck.

Beautiful

Only saw ROTK in theatres but it was the best cinematic experience I've ever had. Wish I'd gone to see FOTR when it came out. I really missed out.

This is the folly of man. I really wish something like LoTR comes along in my lifetime again.

>yuropoors too busy living in a muslim third world hellhole to enjoy awesome moments in film together
no wonder britain left you losers

I just remember confusing aragorn with boromir during the entire fellowship and it threw me off.

Fucking peasants

Going to the theater when it was snowing out every year to see LotR was pretty comfy.

I saw all of The Lord of the Rings in theaters with my dad when they first came out. I was only 6 - 8 years old or so, but I remember being mesmerized.

Last year I saw all three of The Lord of the Rings in a movie theater in New York City with a 350 piece live orchestra playing all the music along with the films. Best time of my life.

People who complain about the ending to ROTK are the fucking worst.

and I'm so glad I'm not a bitter faggot like you

>feelsgoodman

I was 10 in 2003 in Dublin Ireland, us Irish don't cheer like American fags do during movies, but we all cheered when Rohan did their charge. It was glorious.

>doesn't like niggers going apeshit and making noise around me during kinotime
>bitter faggot

Fuck off, Americuck.

this desu

>some faggot on suptv tried to tell me theatrical version of two towers didn't open up with Gandolf v Balrog

i knew my memory wasn't failing me. I vividly remember that opening up the movie

Most memorable movie nights ever. I was 10-12 when they were released and they blew my mind. I remember that a lot of people watched RotK at least twice in theaters.
It was insane. Too many fond memories, like little Tolkienfags telling Harry Potter fans that they were fucking plebs for not preferring LOTR, learning to play the soundtrack after music class, other kids being amused when they asked you stuff from the books...
It's been several years since I last watched them because I reserve them for a very special occasion.

Also, I cried at the ending despite knowing what would happen.

Most of the "emotional" scenes are 10x more intense for me thanks to that bond. My grandpa was always reading to me as a kid, started with his favorite book from his youth, Tom Sawyer. He bought the Hobbit for me for my birthday in 5th grade and reading that shit at night while it snowed outside was fucking maximum comfy. He took my brother and I to see countless movies over the years, but my little brother didn't have the patience to sit through LOTR, my grandma either, so it was just the two of us. And I was his first grandson so that added to it a little more. We were always buddies, all the way back.

The scene that hits me the most though is the Last March of the Ents. I remember being absolutely stunned at seeing it on the big screen and I remember looking over at my grandpa and he had the same look on his face.

We were so excited for LOTR and hyped to get good seats for The Two Towers we got to the theater as the credits were still rolling from the previous showing and the lights were on in the theater and the theater workers were still sweeping up. No one was there, got dem perfect seats.

It's sad what happened to you desu, senpai

What was your grandpa life during the 'last march of the ents' scene?

Back when I was a kid, saw all three. It was great.
>tfw 6 more years til the 20 year anniversary limited theater screenings

I had more fun going to Harry Potter honestly. But the 3rd LOTR movie was super hyped.

He was stunned, awed, "HOLY FUGGIN SHIT THE TREES ARE COMING" same as I was. Deeply moved by it.

God damned insane. Best cinematic experiences of my life.

I wish they'd play them in theaters again.

FUGG

aLl teh things feels an in thankkkgs thallss

>getting up before the credits have even rolled
I'm assuming you're American? I can't imagine any other culture being so impatient. I never saw FOTR either. I saw the other 2 though after watching FOTR on video rented from Blockbuster (TT was the first DVD I ever bought btw) and they were fantastic.

My friend's older brother walked out when Frodo turned around and said, "The Ring is mine..."

This better have been a medical emergency or he can just hand over his human bean license.

I didn't see the Fellowship in the cinema because my parents explained it so poorly to me as a 9 year old like "Yeah it's about these little people and a magic ring they have to destroy". There was literally no mention of all the cool shit like the sword fighting, orcs, giant fire demons etc.

I watched it on VHS and loved it and saw the the others in the cinema thankfully.

>tfw your dad will never again take you out of elementary school early to go see return of the king in theaters one last time

Miss you pops

I live in the UK where people laugh and gasp and films, but they don't cheer or clap. There's a respectful atmosphere in cinemas here. We don't talk over the film and we try to keep quiet so people who want to hear the whole film can do so with ease.
I couldn't imagine anything more obnoxious than applauding at a fight scene in a movie or "going wild" when Gandalf if fighting the balrog. Live theatre is a much more interactive experience where you're expected to clap, cheer and laugh loudly at certain points if it's appropriate. Clapping at a cinema screen is just as strange as clapping at your TV in your living room. It's honestly just stupid and I'm really glad I don't have to expect that when I go to the cinema.

I loved it. I even went to BurgerKing and got the LotR glass mug.

Hahaha what? That's like walking out when you find out Bruce Willis was a ghost in The 6th Sense, or when Voldemort "kills" Harry in the last Harry Potter film. Hilarious.

I'm in the UK too and it is starting to happen here with capeshit movies so I refuse to watch them in the cinema now, When I saw guardians of the galaxy there was a huge manchild who was calling his friends up to tell them he was about to watch the movie, he laughed at every quip and reference like he was trying to make sure everyone else in the cinema knew he was the undisputed biggest fan of it etc.

If British people start clapping and cheering on planes because the pilot did his job and landed the plane I might just kill myself

>yfw you were born too late to see the Ride of the Rohirrim on the big screen

Go fly a kite, kid.

It wasn't nearly the most impressive scene.

Made the holidays extra special. Some of the best cinema experiences of my life.

To be fair, frodo was such a little bitch for the whole trilogy that when he said that I'd have left the theater too.

It was pure kino experience, I remember Two Towers was my first midnight screening it was the hypest shit ever for my 10-12 year old me. Specially going to school the next day full of hype talking with the few patrician kids who also watched it that night.

a lot, probably

Nostalgia trip this entire thread.

Fuck memberberries, LoTR is still good.

>tfw watched this slip through my fingers because poorfag

packed, every single showing

I must have been eight when I saw RotK and remember not being able to get a seat next to my dad. also cried near the end because I thought frodo died in mount doom, and got weird looks from people next to me

some of the effects look a bit weird now, but at the time it looked seamless

Only fellowship was good, imagine holding your piss and then going to the bathroom and missing am minute and still having to go again by the end. Thats the two towers and return of the king

>family owns a small town movie theater
>yfw I can watch the extended blu-ray edition literally any time I want to on a big ass movie screen

>British people clapping on planes

I travel a lot...I got some bad news for you user...

they'll probably put it back in theaters for some reasons in your life time.

when the FOtR ended all the mexican normies freaked out
> 2 hours for this?
it pissed me off

then when RotK came out the normies made kissing noises whenever Sam and Frodo were on scene together, never go to a movie theater filled with low class mexican filth

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

on the 17th I will stream them on eggkara, will be nearly as good as seeing them at the cinema.

Reading LOTR threads on Sup Forums is perhaps the only thing that makes me thankful to God that I'm not American

Pretty good. The wait for Two Towers was incredibely painful, though.

test

m.youtube.com/watch?v=ApUu1DA5HCs

As a kid I was shocked by the awesomeness of it, got courage goosebumps from the heroism, honor erections as men fought as hard as they could with little hope, came buckets from euphoria as good triumphed over evil and then cried like I lost a brother when it was all over for good.

The Hobbit trilogy never happened.

never heard of them then went to see the fellowship I was 11 incredible experience man . the beginning battle to Frodo's and sams walking towards mordor at the end . I was hooked started reading the books . the best thing of all was the year long wait in-between the films especially having the great games that were coming out .ended up seeing them all in theater . who else still has theirs ?

you needed to play the games to hold you over man

Will we ever see something as great again? I can't remember last time I was really enjoying anything in cinema. Everything is either meh or shit. That's just sad.

RIP grandpa

Lad...

was a great experience, it was one of the last movies i saw back when i was a teenager and carefree

also was different back then, no theatre had reserved seating, you would wait in line for 6-8 hours for your first come first serve seat for these kinds of movies, same with star wars ep 3

everything changed in 2009 when avatar came out

>Lord of the Rings in a movie theater in New York City with a 350 piece live orchestra playing all the music along with the films
what i would do to have this experience before i die.

Grow up

(You)

Lol I had the exact same experience, and I was the same age

same here niggas, also saw 3 for my 13th birthday in 2004

People started clapping at the 'i am no man'

I didn't read Narnia when I was a kid because the cover for Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe has Aslan dancing with the girls with flowers and shit and I thought it looked gay, I even felt insulted that the librarian suggested it to me

Saw all three in the cinema.

I remember my dad saying we'll have to watch all three in a row when they come out.

It was an intense experience and there wasn't a movie like it up until that point.

I fell asleep during the 2nd one.

All three films, but especially the last two, really needed an intermission so I could take a shower break and relieve my falcon.

LOTR was the only time my dad took me and my brother to see each film more than once. we saw fellowship 3 times, ttt and rotk twice. never had a cinema experience that good since desu, as far as fantasy epics are concerned. star wars doesn't even compare.