Could evangelion work as a live action film?

Could evangelion work as a live action film?

no.

Remember the last time eva was compressed into a 2 hour movie?
No, it will never work

It doesn't even work as an anime

No, never. If they did, it would suck because they wouldn't be able to do it properly. It also has no Normie appeal. They also don't like to feel depressed as shit after watching something.

we all know who the best girl is

Maybe, with a half billion dollar budget and a production/creative staff that would be allowed to create an uncompromising adaptation

Thing is, in Hollywood those two things are water and oil. A big studio would never dole out the money needed to make a project that big work, unless the project was as safe and sanitized as a Marvel flick

The deconstruction of the mecha/kaiju genres used as a platform for a coming of age psychological character drama is not what film execs would consider "a safe bet".

You won't see a proper Evangelion adaptation stateside until

a) international markets and tastes encourage studios enough to green light films set in international venues with diverse casts (This case a series set in Japan with a majority Asian cast)
b) CGI and other SFX become less cost prohibitive, to the point where studios can afford to take risks on projects that heavily use CGI
c) Anime adaptations to screen prove to be successful and lucrative

We will see a Gundam adaptation long before an Eva adaptation honestly. That's not a terrible thing though, right now if a studio tried to adapt Eva they would just mutilate it like how they're about to mutilate GitS

Misato a best, but out of the two underaged poons, Asuka's the best girl, if not just for hate fucking

>it has no normie appeal
Not really
>high school age teenage leads
>romance
>cool mechs and aliens
Eva could be the next hunger games/harry potter

>next hunger games/harry potter
plz no

I fucking hate most anime but liked Cowboy Bepop. Should I watch this? I've heard its GOAT

It doesn't work as an anime, so no.

this

fuck

Nope they would probably get all the characters wrong by removing their backstories like they did in the rebuilds. Shinji would probably be pushed to the side because the womyns are more important like in Fury road.

Also Asuka is best girl. Rei is a shit

this guy gets it

>Should I watch this?
I'd say so, yes
Even as someone who hates most anime and fucking loathes otaku culture, evangelion is one of my favorite fictional media pieces of all time

I need my god damn Gundam and Macross movies first.

You can't just make a movie about the anime that deconstructs mecha without making a few mecha films.

If Ghost in the Shell does well at box office than yes.

Shit I will take your word for it you sound like me.

Yes, if you're into pretentious horseshit.

this, I hate anime but every once in a while I sit down and rewatch the whole series and end of evangelion and I love it more every watch.

The first episode could be adapted into a 2 hour movie.

fags

>Macross movies first
Its sad because an anime adaptation of something normie friendly like Macross Plus would be awesome.

Do it user

Even though it's definitely more anime-y than bebop, the mech fights take a backseat and instead the human characters and their psychology and personalities are the main focuses of the show

asuka a best!

But it's the psychology and personality of stupid teenagers though.

>waifufags ruin another eva thread
can you all fuck off already

I will. Ty user.

>Watching EoE before eps 25 and 26
Fuck off.

Yeah, but ones that make sense in this situation.

Everyone rags on Shinji all the fucking time but if I was personally in his place when I was 15, I would be scared of a giant monster that I have to fight in an armoured giant monster.

*all teenagers

Yes, of course we do, not sure why you posted Asuka though

Eva was never really about the mechs bro.

Micheal Cera would be a perfect fit for Shinji. just dye his hair black and he is perfect.

this. You need the head fuck of 25/26 to appreciate EoE

would be utter shit

done in one

stop asking

No, but I'd love to see them try
Everything about it, from the themes to the presentation to the dialogue, is so Japanese that I'd be genuinely interested in seeing what it looks like when it comes out on the other side of the Hollywood machine, whether it's an attempt at a faithful recreation that captures the important thematic elements while making the narrative concise enough to fit into a 90 minute movie, or a complete train wreck that turns every character into a focus tested, modern Hollywood cliche with all nuance and detail stripped out and focuses almost entirely on shitty looking Mecha/Angel fights
If nothing else seeing a professional looking Rei/Asuka is almost always a treat so I'd be down for that

>asukafag

You actually like having a snide, smug, shitty half-breed as a waifu? Misato is that one chick friend you've known for years who you're super close to, who's gone to social events with you to look cool, had sleep overs with where she taught you what girls like and you spent the night all but actually fucking until one New Year's party where you got drunk and did it on someone's couch

can we all agree that reifags are the worst

Of course

>ywn lick their plugsuits clean

i see they started to draw the girls with way too much ass

They have already done this and it is called Shin Godzilla.

This

Yeah just like Ender's Game fucking set the world on fire
Besides, Eva doesn't have the self-insert factor that made Hunger Games and Harry Potter popular, and it's also about 14 year olds with emotional issues instead of late teenagers being cool in stoic while going on an adventure

Shin Godzilla is the probably the closest thing to a live-action adaptation of EVA you'll be getting for a while. For a faithful adaptation, you need either to make some serious departures from the source material or have access to an excessive budget.

>EoE before 25&26
>wanting 'Congratulations!' to be the legit ending of Eva

Pure garbage

Just wait for GitS then you might have some idea of how complex works of anime are filtered through western creators

Eva is four movies though.

*Rebuild is four movies.

Also, can someone who's watched Rebuild tell me if there's still all the Alice of life shit at school/Misato's apartment?

No.

All that shit ended in the second movie.

Nah pretty much all that shit's stripped out, although I think you might get one or two 20-30 second gags or exchanges here and there

Boo. What's the point of Eva without the comfy factor

No, and stop trying hollywood, GIST it's gonna bomb and it's going to be no ones fault but yours.

Leave anime alone, and stop tryin to pander to us, we hate that.

>bitchboy cries for 26 episodes: the series

Sure.

If James Cameron was a serious fan of the source material and financed it himself I think he could pull something off.

The only way it could work is if it went the weird sci-fi angle along the lines of 2001/Abyss/12 Monkeys , if it goes with the current trend of Michael Bay comic book action, laced with SJW overtones and quips then it would be a trainwreck.

To be fair, I wouldn't know any fifteen year old boys that would actually want to fight a monster in a monster where if it gets hurt, you get hurt the same way.

Everyone says they wouldn't pussy out like Shinji, but you never know until you experience it.

No.

I 100% would, but that doesn't make for interesting viewing, nor do the 45s+ scenes of silence that happen more than a couple of times throughout the series, in episodes that are around 18 minutes of actual content.

ScarJo should play as one of the Evas
>emotionless facial expressions
>jerky unhuman like body movements
she already plays a cyborg in GitS.

No.

>implying the Evas are expressionless
>implying the Evas move like robots

No you faggot. No, it couldn't.

>too much ass on the girls
Who besides nips and faggots really think this?

Not thin enough

Reifags are fucking terrible, but then so are Asukafags. Both of them are psychologically damaged beyond repair. In fact, I can't say that there is a single good waifu in Eva because they're either not really characterized enough or are fucked in the head.

Too much like a fridge. Maybe one of the angels, probably the one with the foil arms.

>Eva could be the next hunger games/harry potter
I will make it my life's work to see to it the GitS people adapt this and have Asuka cast black

I thank the friend who told me to watch it in this order and you can go suck a fart

>In fact, I can't say that there is a single good waifu in Eva
no, there is exactly one and one only.

He's more of a good bro than a husbando.
>when he's just out watering his melons while an Angel is breaching Central Dogma

Pacific Rim was a live action Evangelion.

No, it couldn't.

Evangelion is fucked up. You've got 14 year old boys jerking it to comatose 14 year old girls. You've got children getting disembowelled, a complete massacre of NERV HQ, and finally it's a character driven story. You know if they made a movie they'd throw out all the drama and just focus on robots smashing faces, like in Pacific Rim and Transformers.

It was Evangelion without any of the social commentary, i.e. bad

EoE was genuinely the most perfect thing to ever be shown on screen. Nothing will ever come close. Full fucking stop.

i.e. Much better. Eva's social commentary is stupid.

And without the interesting character interaction and psychology.

>Asuka's mech arrives on the scene out of nowhere
>Shinji: I-Is she with you?!
>Rei: No...I thought she was with you.

actually it's like a futuristic Top Gun movie, which is awesome. Problem would be they would use Rihanna for the music or some super dumb shit like that and ruin the whole Sharon Apple bit.

NGE isnt about the mechs though

they'd probably fuck up the VF designs anyways.

Ur dumb. Pacific Rim was way better.

>hates most anime and fucking loathes otaku culture
>likes Evangelion
Not possible. You are part of the cancer.

Well it's not an American child wanting to pilot those robots, or a child who was grown up to enjoy life.

He grew up with resentment towards his father, because his mother went missing. His father never showed he cared for him and was okay with his only son to walk away from his life.

ADV Films/Section 23 Films was so fucking stupid. They wasted tons of capital they didn't have giving money to WETA and Gainax for pre-production art & live action rights. Shopped it around fucking everywhere in the US, Japan, and Europe with no backers wanting to sign up for the shit show it was going to be. Meanwhile they used their Newtype Magazine and ADV releases to keep overhyping and rumoring news for a vaperware movie in the hopes of finding someone to come on board with serious money.

The end deal was this:

You pay to make the movie as the producer. They get a large cut of the profits and say in what happens. You get a return on your investment and a modest turnaround from it. Yes, their fucking plan was to trick someone into paying for the whole god damn things for them and they just skate on someone else's cash making all the decisions. Want to know why that didn't work? Because No One is that Stupid.

They rumour mill Spielberg and Lucas are looking at directing. James Cameron. Big Studios wanting to invest. All lies. And ADV couldn't afford to pay WETA for a second round of quick concept art to keep the lie going.

But OP, we already made Pacific Rim

checked

what did xem mean by this

Why not a live action tv show?
Isn't it a trend now to make tv shows of old movies?

look at that big metallica package eva 01 is rocking. No wonder shinji loves being inside her

see: pic related

yes

Could gendum work as a live action film?

Maybe but it might look as bad as the Ghost in the Shell live action film.

Jesus that trailer was terrible.

He's scum who was just using Misato

yeah, kaiju and mecha are cool af. just get rid of all that christian shit, the kid jerking off and it's a blockbuster