What went wrong?

What went wrong?

nothing

Pretty much nothing, maybe they could have spent a bit more time fleshing out the arrangements but the Live from the Basement fixed that

Nothing, OP. It's their second best album.

Better than Hail to the Thief and maybe (*maybe*) The Bends.

hail to the thief is one of the best radiohead albums

such an underrated album honestly

Each to their own I guess. imo it's bloated and inconsistent quality-wise. TKOL is more consistent quality-wise, and Lotus Flower-Separator rivals Kid A's Optimistic-Motion Picture Soundtrack run.

The fans

fans didn't really like the album

>maybe better than the bends

there're huge faggot contrarians, and then there's this guy

Needs more of that bald guy drummer...

Too short, too much looped percussion, was released after the band's longest dry streak (at the time), and came after In Rainbows. It had a lot to live up to and didn't deliver.
It's still a good album though.

Planet Telex is good
The Bends is okay
High and Dry ...
Fake Plastic Trees is pretty great
Bones is background noise
Nice Dream is great
I'm sick of hearing Just
Iron Lung is alright
Bullet Proof maybe best song on the album
Sulk/ Black Star are good
Street Spirit is a bit overrated

I'd give the album 7-8/10. Same rating for TKOL

25 percent of the album is mediocre. The rest is solid. That's what went right.

Nothing because it's literally their best and most interesting record. To this day it remains the most successful pleb filter available. So yes, that fat melon fuck who said it was their worst record is indeed a pleb, but I imagine you already knew that.

>tfw "Separator" is one of Radiohead's best closers

This. I'm sick of the shit Hail to the Thief gets.

You're really over selling it. There are some horribly tedious moments and it's disappointingly short for how generally unambitious it is in focus or sonic exploration.

The Bends is boring as fuck dude

bloated and inconsistent. But it DOES have some of their best material, for sure.

Where I End and You Begin is 10/10. 2+2=5 is a good guitar song. Scatterbrain is great. A Wolf at the Door, Myxo, Sit Down and Sail to the Moon. But the rest is forgettable. Punchup at a Wedding is one of their worst songs.

Some people really don't like "Separator", and I don't get it. I agree with you bruv, it's fucking great.

It's three minutes longer than OK Computer and has precisely 1 bad song. Most of the songs sans "We Suck Young Blood" reach their point quickly and have a lot going on without becoming an obfuscated mess. It's not at all bloated and is way more consistent than Amnesiac or The Bends.

This is as objective as possible:

Tier 1: Kid A, OK Computer, In Rainbows
Tier 2: King of Limbs, Moon Shaped Pool, The Bends
Tier 3: Pablo Honey, Amnesiac, Hail to the Thief

>doesn't mention the most emotionally cathartic, memorable, and well-written songs on the album
>"the rest is forgettable"
What the actual fuck are you doing right now

Also, people generally hate "Punchup". Even Thom doesn't like it, it seems. Can you explain your thoughts? I've always thought it was a decent track that does a great job at moving the album forward tonally.

I'd put Amnesiac on tier 2, otherwise accurate.

There There, I Will and Young Blood are alright, but not *great*. All 6-7/10.

Here's Punchup. "Turn the drum machine on. Okay, now play a bassline in E. Don't worry if it sounds generic." I Will to Myxo would've been a good contrast. Having Punchup after I Will sucks out the emotional tension of the latter song for some random drum-machine groove. I just don't get that track-listing.

"There There" is great and also come on, what about "Go to Sleep"? But whatever dog.

Anyway, I think what makes "Punchup" work for me is probably the contrast between the groove and th ethereal vocals, as well as how that contrasts with the rest of the album generally. I don't mind the bassline at all, and don't think it's any more generic than the bassline of "Where I End and You Begin". The songwriting components are actually there pushing it forward despite some individual elements being a little underwhelming.

Fair enough I suppose. Go to Sleep is, yet again, good but not great imo. It has a good groove. Agree to disagree I suppose.