So what pedantic plot holes have internet losers conjured out of thin air to tear down what was an objectively great...

so what pedantic plot holes have internet losers conjured out of thin air to tear down what was an objectively great movie?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LGVyBkpAp6g&t=2m32s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I am a virgin and I want to fit in with this board. So this movie is shit by default.

Honestly, the short story just executed all the themes in a far superior fashion, all of the parts that the movie added were overly convoluted or typical hollywood tripe. I still enjoyed the movie in appreciation of the original plot but it really fell short of my expectations.

Some jag off from earlier:

>far superior fashion..overly convoluted..hollywood tripe

You couldnt sound more pretentious if you tried. Convoluted is enough anyway, you don't need to qualify it with "overly."

the gift is objectively a shitty gift
12 spooky ships was unnecessary for the translation and only almost caused ww3. thanks for the drama aliens.

Meh, point still stands, hated all of the shit the was added to the movie that wasn't directly copied from the original story, they were uninteresting and unoriginal.

Happy now?

There were things I didn't get...like how they conveniently mistranslate "weapon" for "gift" causing this giant global freakout. Or that it had to be his wife's dying words that change the Chinese general's mind.

But overall it was great, the motivations and actions of all involved are totally plausible. Mistrust, failure to properly communicate (DURR ITS ALMOST LIKE IT WAS THE THEME OF THE WHOLE MOVIE), aggression, fear...I think its generally how humanity would react if it happened.

That's funny, the author thought it adapted it perfectly.

The only main gripe I had with this movie was how the military people and CIA guy were portrayed like 1-dimensional retards

Is learning to read a circle language somehow causes you to see time non-linearly considered a plot hole?

but they could see into the future and they knew it wouldn't cause ww3

and they didn't necessarily choose to come

It's not like my post-Aliens contact films (ID4, Starship Troopers) therefore its shit.

t. Sup Forumseddit

The CIA guy may be a little more unconventional, but a career military guy is going to be one seriously one dimensional motherfucker. Even then the colonel does seem to sympathize with Louise, a lot of "OK I get it, but what do you expect to tell these people I have to deal with?"

I fucking loved the movie but I'm going to poke holes in the plot for the sake of being a fucking pleb

>Why did they send 12 ships when they really only needed 1?
>Why didn't they print out a "English to Hetapod" book for them?
>If they needed help in 3000 years, why did they come now? Are we going to be busy for the next 3000 years?
>Why didn't they come earlier when there were less languages and less humans to deal with?

And so on and so forth.

It's a fucking great movie tho, 10/10 would cry again

Also, that fucking soundtrack man

youtube.com/watch?v=LGVyBkpAp6g&t=2m32s

Plebshit movie.
No emotional impact. Shit cast. Shitty one-dimensional characters. Asking for too much suspension of disbelief with the whole language-can-change-your-perception-of-time gayness (inb4 hurr it's a movie). The aliens themselves looked silly.

Interstellar tier but even less interesting.

> "weapon" for "gift"
i don't understand this either to be honest. It made perfect sense to me that the word for "weapon" and "gift" (and "tool") were all mis translations. Probably just in there for dramatic effect. IRL someone would have figured out that "weapon/too/gift/etc" were interchangable
> Or that it had to be his wife's dying words that change the Chinese general's mind.
His wife's dying words were ultimately relevant to the situation: "in war there are no victors, only widows." No other person's dying words would have affected him appropriately.

why didn't they do some research and learn a human language

They did know the human language. Which is stupid.

>Why did they send 12 ships when they really only needed 1?
they needed humanity to work together to decifer their lingo. Forget for a moment the wishy-washy handholding message: they needed as many minds and eyes and cultures working on this issue at once. Louise couldn't have figured it out on her own.
>Why didn't they print out a "English to Hetapod" book for them?
They don't see or think in linear orthography. They don't understand it. Like Louise they might have only flashes and images of the future before getting the whole picture.
>If they needed help in 3000 years, why did they come now? Are we going to be busy for the next 3000 years?
To prepare humans probably. The simple mention that they would need help in 3000 years would be enough for humanity to be proactive.
>Why didn't they come earlier when there were less languages and less humans to deal with?
Because humans, especially ancient humans were borderline retarded on the routine.

babbys first time paradox

i missed that, when was that revealed?

Thanks for writing this so I didn't have to.

People whine that the "twist" that she experiences all of her life at once is stupid and doesn't make sense. They complain that her breaking causality by using information she learns in the future to influence the past which then in-turn informs that original future moment which informs the past etc. is impossible and an example of poor writing.

If we go by the logic of the film and basic common sense in general I think it's pretty safe to assume that what might be an example of breaking causality in our current perception of time might just not break causality to a creature that could perceive all of time at once. But most of Sup Forums seems to have the imagination of slugs so I guess them having this "problem" with the film doesn't surprise me.

>OK I get it, but what do you expect to tell these people I have to deal with?"
I thought that was a brilliant bit that gave him some humanity and also perfectly encapsulated the problems appealing to a meddling committee

The big one for me is why did the alien let himself get killed when he knew the future

The same way Amy Adams asked hawk eye if you knew your whole life would you change anything confirms she could choose to do things and not do them such as have her child.

So why would the alien not blow the tards with the bomb out of the whole while Amy Adams was already on her way to speak to them.

Well it appears that way at the end of the move when they bring Amy Adams into the ship the last time and talk while they are both in the smoke

>That's funny, the author wanted to make money so he said whatever they told him to say to advertise for the movie.

Sapir–Whorf hypothesis does not account for magical time perception alteration of physics. Never. Anybody who has studied neuroscience, neurolinguistics knows this immediately. The movie tries to pretend to be "hard-science fiction", when it all resolves into magic on the same level as Interstellar's "muh love transcends space and time and stuff".

Hole*

it appears that way because louise had been teaching them english for months by then. i dont think any of you guys actually watched the movie

My issue with the movie is the inconsitency of whether or not the future can be changed.

If the future can be changed, then 'knowing the future' is completely irrelevant, because as soon as you see the future, your future changes too and what you saw becomes redundant.

>Aliens see that in X years they are going to need help from humans

So... if the 'future' they see cannot be changed, then why are they trying to change it via recruiting help from humans.

And if the 'future' can be changed, they essentially have an eternity to deal with it themselves, don't see why they'd need humans.

In short, 'time travel' in any regard is stupid (unless it's moving at the speed of light to permanently move forward in time relative to others who were moving slower), and I feel any movie that attempts to dabble in 'time' is just shooting itself in the foot.

Literally the same day they were using struggling to use symbols to talk and clarify the weapon comment before the bomb blew up.

Try again?

She was a FUCKING HORRIBLE TEACHER.

She was trying to teach the aliens words, and would not SHUT THE FUCK UP and kept making sentences which would've only confused them.

If you're trying to teach someone your language, you point at an object and say "CHAIR" - and nothing else, you don't say "this is a chair, hehe I like to sit in the chair! Chairs are fun! we're learning yay!".

Fuck you.

They spend so much of the plot trying to figure out why they're here and what's their purpose and all of that that is addressed in a single scene where the alien just flat out says it and It has absolutely no bearing on the progression of the plot from that point on.

What a shirt pretentious thread I actually enjoy people trying to correct my submitted plot holes but there is simply no creativity in arrival cuck to even muster a entertaining defence much like theil movies scrip writted

lol

Shit*" their movie script writer*

The original story makes it too obvious there's time fuckery going on from the first two paragraphs with the swaps between past and future tense. The movie's method of hiding them as flashbacks had more impact.

Going into the ship was far more tense and visually interesting than communicating through a TV screen in a tent.

The story is more convoluted than the movie, by going into the physics of things like the principal of least action. It's great but only works because the author spends a few pages explaining the physics.

The movie did some things better, some worse, and many changes were necessary.

>Villenmeme
doa

>listens to alex jones once
wtf i hate heptapods now

lol be careful user, the redditors might call you a contrarian!! to try and justify their LITERALLY CAPESHIT taste :^)

That the language concepts are unrealistic.

Any Rule 34 stuff featuring Amy Adams and the Heptopods?