When did flopping/diving become so widespread in soccer? what was the tipping point?

When did flopping/diving become so widespread in soccer? what was the tipping point?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=__G4RrlGmVk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacking_(rugby))
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Lee
youtube.com/watch?v=V8kxMnc5KUs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

because most refs are fucking blind and terrible at judging whether fouls happened or not.
flopping and diving just helps assure them when they see a foul and wonder if it was legit or not.

Because you're gay
don't watch that divegrass sport
might I add you're a CHI

its a tactic to get free kicks and card the opponent. its embarrassing to watch but it still happens and it works

Latin countries

t. Latin country

dunno, but it must have been pretty early in soccer's history. here's a sketch from more than 20 years ago

youtube.com/watch?v=__G4RrlGmVk

intredasting question. afaik football was pretty violent at its start. That ended with the split between association code (no hacking and kicking other players) and rugby code (kicking and hacking other players en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacking_(rugby))
With time, rules were more and more protecting the players, because of professionalization, but still pretty violent. Defenders weren't skilled creators, they were pure destroyers of game and players. That's why they could play with 2 defenders at the back I guess (that and a more harsh off-side rule)
2bh, take a football cleats kick in the ankle, it hurts.
I think that referees always called foul on that, but probably raising and raising stakes in gamesurged players to flop to have a free kick, which by the time where taken with more and more precision and power.
Also I think TV highlighted the floppings, mainly replays, slow motion and now multi-angle replays

Hopefully, greater implementation of VAR will curb the diving rate.

Because when the game is in play at full speed, N you're on the pitch as a ref and following about 50 different things happening simultaneously, it is very hard to actually catch good diving.

That's why players still do it, because it works when you're good at it.

I used to referee U14 games and even at that level, you couldn't determine whether someone was diving (the clever ones) until you play the game back.

Also you always want to give the player the benefit of doubt when you know you have merely seconds to react and make decision.

I'd like to know what the fuck happened to Basketball as well.
Can't watch either sport now.

basketball is unironically a recent phenomenon.. unironically less than 10 years ago pepole stopped playing D and faggots started diving and shit ~5 or so years
are you guys retarded? do you know how to read? i said when, not where/why

then maybe have more officials instead of just one guy having to run up and down the field all day where its impossible for him to see everything?

have 2 refs, one for each half of the field, plus the two linesman, plus 2 more guys behind the goals, plus the timekeeper official, and have them all have equal power to call fouls or dives instead of the one guy running around like a madman trying to cover the entire field

It's not possible to know when it started. With the poor quality of ancient football, it would be hard to tell when someone is diving unless it's REALLY obvious (i.e. Fernando Torres vs Chile tier)

Earliest example I can think of is Francis Lee in the 70s. He was infamously known for diving, and even earned a nickname for it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Lee

Yeah, happened in basketball about the same time as the no hand checking rule

I saw you post the exact same thing in a similar thread a while ago, lel
You're right though, that's the historical background. Afaik, back in the nineties, diving was frowned upon and discouraged at football clubs, it being seen as a quirky italian-spanish thing. Nowadays the financial interests in football are so tremendously huge that a dive could be worth millions if it results in a goal in an important match. Little kids see their idols be faggots on tv; we're in a downward spiral. This really killed the sport for me, both to play and to watch, and i'm not the only one

That's an interesting question, I think we can pinpoint we're the sport became more protective, as stated, but when did it became an actual tactic is really hard to point out.

were*, goddamn coffee hasn't kicked in

fookin johnny forners comin over here stealing honest english lads place in the teams and bringing there diving with them

youtube.com/watch?v=V8kxMnc5KUs

Now it's transfered to basketball. Thanks soccerfags