Without getting defensive. Why do white people like rap...

Without getting defensive. Why do white people like rap? Most of the time they're talking about black people problems so as a white male do you listen to it?

I don't listen to hip hop for the lyrics

I don't assume that I live in a vacuum and understand that knowledge of other peoples' experiences are valuable to living a richer life. I find the perspectives in rap especially interesting because that's a life I'll never live but still very real

>why do people still read Homer, you're not an ancient Greek champion, like lol how can you even relate?

>i dont listen to hip hop for the lyrics

to make fun of it

White people have the ability to sympathize towards other kinds of people, something that black people could never understand nor are able to.

>Why do white people like anime? Most of the time the stories deal with asian people's lives so as a white male why do you watch it?

Masculine escapist fantasy

Becsuse they wanna be those charecters but without feeling gay

Anime has more universal stories than "ooga booga kill whitey"

that's like saying that because Saudi Arabia is on the other side of the globe, people in America don't care that it is a terrible theocratic dictatorship. not only is it good music coming from people like rakim, jay z, MF DOOM, lamar, and 21 savage, but it's stuff that interests people. black people are in their country too, and usually what happens to them also affects them as well. it's kind of hard to see a person bleeding out in the middle of the street and not want to call 911.

Escapism. White People (and most black People) use it to live out their fantasies

I saw a black guy driving a beat up piece of shit car with a song about having a Bugatti blaring out of the window.

You don't have to relate to music to enjoy it.

If a friend was telling you a story would you interrupt him halfway through to ask "But how does this relate to ME?"

Wow, this might be the whitest post of the year. Congrats.

Fuck you, motherfucker, you a ho-ass nigga
I don't know why you trying to go big, nigga you ain't shit
Walking around like you God's gift to Earth, nigga you ain't shit
You ain't even buy me no outfit for the fourth
I need that Brazilian, wavy, twenty eight inch, you playin'
I shouldn't be fuckin' with you anyway, I need a baller ass, boss ass nigga
You'se a off brand ass nigga, everybody know it
Your homies know it, everybody fuckin' know
Fuck you nigga, don't call me no more
You won't know, you gonna lose on a good bitch
My other nigga is on, you off
What the fuck is really going on?

dunno, i listen mainly to kanye and danny brown, couldnt care less about nigger ghetto culture, im not a filthy am*rican

nationalism is a disease

I agree.

So are am*ricans, truly, the plague of the world

1. Music isn't all about the lyrics
2. You can still appreciate the lyrics even if you don't necessarily identify or agree with them

You don't have to relate to something to enjoy it. It's interesting to see other viewpoints and walks of life. A lot of it is story driven too. Do you find it difficult to read LotR because you're not a midget with a magic ring?

eek, that's a pretty nu male reply you just left

Wow I was expecting a Sup Forums shitstorm but actually got some good answers. Thanks Sup Forums i may have been wrong about you

It’s not about comparing your life to theirs but about the appeal of how they present the problems in and around minorities. That’s of course assuming the rapper is a minority, is talking about minority issues, and if the music is actually good.

idk man, some people listen to it for enjoyment or to see through another point of view, you don't always have to relate with shit

but on the other hand some people can relate with concepts a rapper is talking, i was in sophomore year when i heard tyler the creator with goblin and bastard and i kinda saw myself with him you know, being stupidly annoying and weird in public but also having stupid teenager angst and wanting to output that shit into something spoke to me

"Races" are such an americentric concept. Did you know there are many people all over the world who enjoy music from cultural areas other than their own? Did you know hip-hop isn't exclusively black people's music nor is it exclusively American music?

White middle class suburban life is safe and comfortable. And to a teenager those are synonyms for 'boring'.
When they hear black problems they sound exciting and cool - even the shifty parts of being black and poor seem pretty neat when you don't actually have to experience them, couple that with the widespread conception there is no white culture (and if there is its based on rape oppression)

Rap music is stripped down, simplistic and accessible which makes it able to be enjoyed almost universally.

>all this holds true for a lot of shifty commercial country music too

jewish record companies forcememed it for profit

Same, I just like the sound. Catchy lyrics are a plus though

i grew up around blacks and pretty much always listened to it. dont know why all these stupid ass white people started listening to it all of a sudden though.

White Americans worship black culture

I don't even understand sung or rapped english most of the time, I never know what people are saying even in my favourite records