Was this the Nevermind of the 2010s?

Was this the Nevermind of the 2010s?

no this was exmilitary by death grips

It's a good album but how can you think this? This is nothing compared to the effect nevermind had

/thread

Rodeo travis scott

If you really wanna compare Death Grips and Nirvana, Exmilitary is more like the Bleach of the 2010s, not just because it's their first, but because it's their rawest and most lo-fi. The Nevermind would be The Money Store/No Love Deep Web because it's their most "normal" and most polished/produced album. Then The Powers That B would be the In Utero as it's their most experimental output, and closest to what Death Grips really wanted to be.

Also no, no Death Grips album is the Nevermind of the 2010s.

albums dont cause paradigm shifts in popular culture anymore

get over it

what, like pop stars are going to throw guillotine into their award show medleys in fifteen years?

:(
this tho

interesting, possibly

It's hard to call any album of the 2010s so far as big as Nevermind. The music landscape has definitely been experiencing a big shift towards trap and hip hop in general, but no single album has been responsible for that, at least not on both an artistic and cultural level. The closest we've got are MBDTF, GKMC and TPAB

The problem is that albums aren't written to be works of art anymore, they're written to go into a spotify playlist. (and I mean the shit that's mainstream, I know people still make artistic albums.)

This definitely fits the bill better than Exmil

fucking retards

>le travis scott is le rebel ooh he punk ooh so influential to le youth rodeo le classic

lmao

i'd say more of the "problem" is that music in general is so, SO much easier to obtain, and so everyone is listening to everything all the time.

its the best time to be into music, but the trade-off is that there isnt albums that are super huge cultural phenomena anymore.

Not even that. The Internet's given us personalized pockets of info. That's great but it causes the effect of people getting to shape their tastes individually rather than by mass media, meaning no big cohesive musical phenomena is likely to happen.

yeah exactly. i dont really necessarily see that as a problem, or being worse than before. id rather be able to enjoy and explore infinite amounts of music than circlejerk over one or two big albums every year.

i do see the appeal to it tho, id love there to be a genuine mindfuck album blow everyone away and be commercially successful

Yeah, that's a fair point. Though, my dad's experiences kind of went opposite to that, but he was a post-punk and noise rock weirdo in the 80's.

look at how hip hop sounded before days and before rodeo, and look where it is now musically and performance wise,

can't say it didn't shift the sound of contemporary shit today

this is a better candidate

Exmilitary had nowhere near the exposure/popularity of either of those albums, and Rodeo symbolizes the trap sound and the hedonistic swaggotry of this decade much like Nevermind did with grunge and apathetic angst in the 90s

I wish it was.
Actually wait. I don't wish that. New rap acts please don't try to copy Death Grips.