Just saw this for the first time last night and fucking loved it. Are there any other great music films out there?

Just saw this for the first time last night and fucking loved it. Are there any other great music films out there?
Also jazz newb here, any good recommendations on where to start?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=TS-G4UQTfUo
youtube.com/watch?v=bCYeaH-lZH8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Chazelle's other film La La Land is also a pretty good music film

Well you could always just listen to Don Ellis - Soaring first off, considering it leads with Whiplash. What other genres do you like going into jazz?

Wes Montgomery if you want guitar, Stuff Smith if you want violin, and Coleman Hawkins if you want some sax.

I liked Ray

'Round Midnight

It has actual Jazz musicians in it.

the blues brothers

Is the Frank movie any good?

If you are interested in watching a group of people forming a quirky indie band, yes

I disliked this movie greatly, watching the story of loud mentally ill people for that long just made me really uncomfortable.
Listen to Giant Steps

Stopped watching it because the teacher felt really tryhard and was annoying the fuck out of me
Should I give it another shot?

I enjoyed it

That's kind of the point of the character. You're supposed to hate him. The ending is great. Try to make it through.

Caravan is so fucking good I could listen to this all day

m.youtube.com/watch?v=TS-G4UQTfUo

just skip the cusack parts

In my opinion, no.
The teacher continues to be just as retarded, and the main character just as impulsive.
Just watch the final scene or listen to the soundtrack because, regardless of the quality of the movie, it's pretty brilliant.

Spinal tap
It's All Gone Pete Tong
24hours party people

I mostly watch comedies though lel

While you're at it, just read summaries and spoilers for movies and reviews for music, don't experience anything, life is overrated.

agreed
if a nigga cant sit through something they're not into once and make up their mind just dick off

>getting this worked up over shitty soft jazz
at least they could've played some real street shit.

the piano teacher, and the actors actually the music in the scenes

Once More Time With Feeling

It's beautiful and accompanies Nick Cave's album Skeleton Tree

classic

It was great
>mfw the entitled little shit finally realizes that he has no talent

I thought it was fun yea.

This film hit me way too hard when I watched it. I was forced to play the violin 5+ hours daily from the age of 6 until I was 19 when I tore the tendons in my pinky and ring finger. It ended any hopes of having a professional career. But it was years of work for nothing. Like there was times I would get my ass beat with a fucking switch til I bled if I fucked up my timing or got sloppy with my positions. I play bass nowadays but the pinky has chronic pain and immobility. So I'm stuck 3 finger techniques which limits how I play pretty badly.

I loved La La Land. It had a lot of hype, and tied The Godfather for nominations so Sup Forums probably likes to ignore it but It's such a great film. I liked it so much I bought the music book for it for Piano. I learned a few songs but that jazz-break on Mia & Sebastians theme I never got. My piano teacher can play it flawlessly, he blows my mind.

youtube.com/watch?v=bCYeaH-lZH8

The part my teacher can play starts at 1:00 - incredible stuff.

jesus
sorry to hear that

That's hardcore man.
You ok?

fuck, that's a horrible story. im glad that shit didn't ruin playing music for you.

>dude's stressing his shit out trying to get to the recital on time
>gets hit by a fucking truck
>think this is the part where he realises he's pushing himself way too fucking hard
>he gets up and keeps going
>completely fine for the rest of the movie except for a bit of bleeding and some exhaustion in the immediate aftermath
jazz accuracy and shit aside, that part really took me out of the movie.

the car accident scene reeked of studio intervention

"guys it's not exciting enough, you need an action beat here"

It's honestly fine. My parents saw I had the spark and wanted me to reach my full potential. The injuries happened when I was staying with a music teacher on the coast that moved me from 4 hour regiments with rest intervals to straight 8. I powered through 2 days of practice after it happened which is what completely destroyed my pinky. Since it happened after I turned 18 I was kinda on my own for suing the guy for my medical bills but I didn't go through with it at the time cause I felt it was my fault for not being able to keep up.

It did, I can't play or listen to certain genres of music without having extreme anxiety attacks. The bass and guitar is just something I do in the comforts of my house without having to perform for others.

>Are there any other great music films out there?
Amadeus

if you're not chinese you have my sympathies

Phallus In Wonderland user, the greatest music film ever released.

I'm a Scottish Hamburger, my apologies.

Yawn: the Movie.

>I felt it was my fault for not being able to keep up.
goddamn. those fuckers.

Jazz starters: Armstrong, Holliday, Davis, Coltrane.

MUSIC IS SHIT

Hard bop is the genre you want to start with

the whole point of the movie is to show that Andrew has the dedication and drive to be one of the greats